View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 24th, 2014, 8:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Early Prospect want list. 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Early Prospect want list.
thelomasbrowns wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
I still wonder if the Lions have no hope for Corey Fuller as a pro receiver? He can flat out fly. But does that not translate to the field, and running patterns? I had some high hopes for him.....

They kept him on the practice squad and then signed him to a futures contract, so I don't think they've totally given up on him. We'll see what happens in the preseason.

I know. But this past season there were plenty of chances for the Lions to take him off PS and move him onto the roster. Instead, the Lions went out and signed FAs like Ross or Ogletree. To me, that doesn't bode well for how he was doing in camp. Them signing him to the futures contract is OK, but it doesn't mean they have high hopes for him. It means they are praying he pans out, at least to me.

January 8th, 2014, 1:05 am
Pop Warner Vet

Bryan Stork, C FSU: Rimington award winner, solid center. Was projected to go in 4th before NC.

January 8th, 2014, 1:53 pm
Heisman Winner

What about CJ Mosley? (SP?)

January 8th, 2014, 8:45 pm
Team MVP

jrd66 wrote:

From what I've seen of Mosley, he is very good in coverage and a great tackler. In my opinion, he isn't someone who is gonna be flashy like a Clay Mathews, but will be a solid, reliable linebacker . Is that the type of player I'd spend a first rounder on? You bet.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

January 8th, 2014, 9:19 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

m2karateman wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
I still wonder if the Lions have no hope for Corey Fuller as a pro receiver? He can flat out fly. But does that not translate to the field, and running patterns? I had some high hopes for him.....

They kept him on the practice squad and then signed him to a futures contract, so I don't think they've totally given up on him. We'll see what happens in the preseason.

I know. But this past season there were plenty of chances for the Lions to take him off PS and move him onto the roster. Instead, the Lions went out and signed FAs like Ross or Ogletree. To me, that doesn't bode well for how he was doing in camp. Them signing him to the futures contract is OK, but it doesn't mean they have high hopes for him. It means they are praying he pans out, at least to me.

The warned us that he was very "raw." Apparently he was even rawer than believed. Could've been a miss by the FO, but at least it was only a sixth rounder. Then again, we haven't had a great track record of developing receivers not named Calvin Johnson.

January 9th, 2014, 11:44 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

kdsberman wrote:
jrd66 wrote:

From what I've seen of Mosley, he is very good in coverage and a great tackler. In my opinion, he isn't someone who is gonna be flashy like a Clay Mathews, but will be a solid, reliable linebacker . Is that the type of player I'd spend a first rounder on? You bet.

I like Mosley but there are some concerns about his Injury History.For the Lions, I wouldnt take him unless it was a Rd 2 Pick 10, or if we traded back into the final 10 picks of rd 1 (at the earliest).

January 9th, 2014, 4:00 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
5th Round Pick - Traded

Think Mosley is slightly overrated because he plays for Bama.

January 9th, 2014, 4:56 pm
Team MVP

liontrax wrote:

Id rather have Khalil Mack.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

January 9th, 2014, 9:52 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

kdsberman wrote:
liontrax wrote:

Id rather have Khalil Mack.

Agree.

January 10th, 2014, 10:33 am
Player of the Year - Defense

m2karateman wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

Ross and Ogletree fit different roles than what Fuller would have. Fuller is an outside receiver, so he'd have to beat out Durham or CJ and that wasn't happening. First year receivers rarely can get a full grasp of the playbook, especially spending that much time on PS, where they're also learning the scout team plays to run. Ogletree and Ross fit more of Nate's profile of slot receiver, with Ross obviously taking on return duties as well. So while it was a little disheartening to not see Fuller get activated, I can understand why they didn't. Once activated, he'd have to be on active roster for 3 weeks, and I believe Nate's injury forced them to get a certain type of receiver as opposed to using what they had.

We'll get a feel for what kind of player he is come this offseason. Now that Linehan is gone, I'm sure the new head coach and OC will go through all the futures contract players and give them a thorough examination. I'm sure they'll be looking to fill the PS with players they feel fits their system following the draft, so I doubt they'll carry anyone that they don't feel will work.

January 10th, 2014, 11:25 am
QB Coach

I know this is going to get a lot of hindsight is 20/20 but as Lions fans playing the what if game is all we have sometimes.

Looking over stuff about contracts and cap space, I realized what a waste out 2012 draft was. Maybe one of the corners can develop into a nickle but outside of Reiff (and yes I know how important a LT is) we got nothing.

That was the year to get a kicker. I know Hanson was still playing but a young guy to step in for him the next year would have been great. Greg Zuerlien, Blair Walsh and undrafted Justin Tucker were some of the options.

I'll skip over the Broyles issues. Like him as a person, don't expect to see much return as a player unfortunately. Lavonte David would have looked good at that spot or about 8 other guys. A lot of offensive line talent as well as safeties we missed out on in the later rounds. Could have a young guard or center already on the roster ready to step in for Raiola or Sims. Even some LBs we missed out on that have done much more than the guys we took.

Makes it worse looking at who we could have had with out 2013 4th rounder if we hadn't traded it to MN to draft Tahir Whitehead in 2012. Most notably Brian Schwenke who started 9 games at center for TN, David Bakhtiari 16 game LT starter for GB (obviously we'd have used him at RT), Khaseem Greene OLB Chicago or even Barrett Jones (didn't do much his rookie year but is a G/C hybrid).

Bottom line we need to hit on our late round picks and undrafted players, which we did a better job at this year, but we need to have those guys be our depth players who actually don't look terrible if forced to play. I would hate to have Whitehead or Lewis in at LB for us. Green and Greenwood may turn in to decent backups but we're in trouble if they're in our starting lineup.

January 11th, 2014, 2:56 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
I know this is going to get a lot of hindsight is 20/20 but as Lions fans playing the what if game is all we have sometimes.

Looking over stuff about contracts and cap space, I realized what a waste out 2012 draft was. Maybe one of the corners can develop into a nickle but outside of Reiff (and yes I know how important a LT is) we got nothing.

That was the year to get a kicker. I know Hanson was still playing but a young guy to step in for him the next year would have been great. Greg Zuerlien, Blair Walsh and undrafted Justin Tucker were some of the options.

I'll skip over the Broyles issues. Like him as a person, don't expect to see much return as a player unfortunately. Lavonte David would have looked good at that spot or about 8 other guys. A lot of offensive line talent as well as safeties we missed out on in the later rounds. Could have a young guard or center already on the roster ready to step in for Raiola or Sims. Even some LBs we missed out on that have done much more than the guys we took.

Makes it worse looking at who we could have had with out 2013 4th rounder if we hadn't traded it to MN to draft Tahir Whitehead in 2012. Most notably Brian Schwenke who started 9 games at center for TN, David Bakhtiari 16 game LT starter for GB (obviously we'd have used him at RT), Khaseem Greene OLB Chicago or even Barrett Jones (didn't do much his rookie year but is a G/C hybrid).

Bottom line we need to hit on our late round picks and undrafted players, which we did a better job at this year, but we need to have those guys be our depth players who actually don't look terrible if forced to play. I would hate to have Whitehead or Lewis in at LB for us. Green and Greenwood may turn in to decent backups but we're in trouble if they're in our starting lineup.

One of my favorite pastimes for the last year has been looking back at what could have been with more intelligent drafting. Mayhew bashing, if you please. But have to give him credit for the promising group he assembled last year. I have high hopes he has learned from his miscues going forward.
As for the 2012 draft, I believe there is potential there for Greenwood and Whitehead developing into contributors. But yes it was pretty much a bust except for Reiff.
After viewing yesterdays play-off games I was impressed with the way all these teams ran the ball, especially the Patriots. Reinforced my belief that if the Lions sitting there with the 10th pick and Watkins long gone, could be thinking lets take a OT. It would further enhance the quality of play and depth on our young O-line. Trading back from 10 would be my preference if our guy is gone. We need the extra picks with no 5th rounder (another Mayhew blunder).
At 10 if Clowney, Watkins, Barr, and Mack are gone, what's left? At this point in early draft talent speculation I'm not sold on the idea of taking an outside backer with that high a pick anyway, and don't see the next best receiver worthy as well. Especially this year with a draft loaded with receiver talent. But the BPA at that point might be a Tackle (Mathews,Robinson,Kouandjio). Is there a CB or Safety (needs) worthy of that pick? Don't see one at this point.

January 12th, 2014, 11:44 am
RIP Killer

If the Lions can't get a WR or LB, then they need to trade back. The Lions didn't rush the ball too poorly this season (17th overall). As a matter of fact, this was their best year running the ball in quite some time. The rushing game started to dwindle when they knew Stafford was playing erratically and they could put eight in the box and stop them. Calvin was playing injured and not as effective, and Stafford couldn't get the job done.

LaAdrian Waddle earned the right to play right tackle next season, as he never really hurt the team with his play and was better in run blocking than most expected. Him and Larry Warford made a good team on the right side. Jason Fox is likely to get released, so the idea of the Lions selecting a tackle isn't so remote. But I don't see the need to pick one in the first round. If the Lions are forced to go BPA in the first round and an offensive tackle is there, then so be it. But drafting a right tackle that high is pure foolishness to me.

Our offensive issues begin and end with Matthew Stafford. I don't care what receivers, backs or linemen would can or will sign or draft, the offense goes nowhere without Stafford getting his act together. More over, our defense is in more dire need of additional playmakers, particularly in the secondary. Our free agency and draft efforts need to focus on defense. The Lions were 6th against the rush (in YPG) versus 23rd against the pass (in YPG). For the Lions to compete more consistently, they need to focus on stopping the pass. No safety or CB seems to be worth the tenth overall pick, but a playmaking LB who can rush the passer would be a good addition. And there may be one or two available at the tenth pick. I'm not a big fan of picking linebackers that early, but if the talent supports it, then it fills a need more so than a right tackle.

January 13th, 2014, 11:44 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

^^ all of the above.

Bush was the first back since Billy Sims to go 1000 yards, 500 receiving yards. Add in Bell and our backfield was #1 in all-purpose yards.

January 13th, 2014, 11:54 pm
Heisman Winner

Very early

1- CJ Mosley
2- Calvin Pryor
3- Donte Moncrief
4-Zach Mettenberger

January 18th, 2014, 2:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next