View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 31st, 2014, 7:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Early Prospect want list. 
Team MVP

Post Re: Early Prospect want list.
The only thing I have against trading down is the potential of losing out on a higher rated player for maybe a 3rd rounder or less, given the draft history of Mayhew minus last year.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 19th, 2014, 8:23 pm
NFL Veteran

I think Barr is a decent pick at 10 and probably a much better pick than any of the DBs. He's got strong potential to be a better player than Mack and played against much tougher competition. He's already shown he's a natural pass rusher, he just doesn't have any real pass rush moves yet. He is basically a carbon copy of Aldon Smith with some extra speed. With Washburn sticking around and Austin being a DB guru, I think they could really improve the two big parts of his game that are missing right now in coverage skills and using his hands against blockers. If the Lions are looking to use a rush LB, some hybrid looks, and if Barr can play with his hand in the dirt on passing downs he could be a really big addition to the defense.

March 20th, 2014, 1:27 am
Rookie Player of the Year

I really think that unless somebody like Watkins unexpectedly falls, it's Barr or one of the OTs. That's just Mayhew's style.

March 20th, 2014, 9:38 am
Pop Warner Rookie

Too many other holes for tackle in the 1st round. I think they will take a guy like Barr for the "hybrid" defense they want, he has a lot of upside and would like to see him drafted. I would be ecstatic if Khalil Mack somehow ended up on the roster. Until we sign someone who can at least fill a starting role, meaning i think were going to sign someone to start who is worse than don carey, I would like Clinton-Dix or Calvin Pryor. I know none of you guys think its a good "value" but either one is going to be better than delmas or whoever were going to sign. Haha is deemed to just be a "solid but unspectacular" player, which im not sure why thats a bad thing, we could use a guy who doesnt have a glaring weakness in his game. Pryor is deemed just a hitter, which is fine by me as long as he doesnt tackle with his chin touching his chest. And of course, my dream scenario, and reportedly his too, is Sammy Watkins on the roster.

March 21st, 2014, 1:56 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

millam21 wrote:
Too many other holes for tackle in the 1st round. I think they will take a guy like Barr for the "hybrid" defense they want, he has a lot of upside and would like to see him drafted. I would be ecstatic if Khalil Mack somehow ended up on the roster. Until we sign someone who can at least fill a starting role, meaning i think were going to sign someone to start who is worse than don carey, I would like Clinton-Dix or Calvin Pryor. I know none of you guys think its a good "value" but either one is going to be better than delmas or whoever were going to sign. Haha is deemed to just be a "solid but unspectacular" player, which im not sure why thats a bad thing, we could use a guy who doesnt have a glaring weakness in his game. Pryor is deemed just a hitter, which is fine by me as long as he doesnt tackle with his chin touching his chest. And of course, my dream scenario, and reportedly his too, is Sammy Watkins on the roster.

Here is my take on "good value"

On draft day we can all piss and moan about a guy taken too early or be happy about a guy that fell, but all that matters cant realy be said for the next few years.

I dont care where a guy is projected, but our first rd pick has to be a guy who plays at least as an above average pro, and sticks with the team no less than 5-6 years. THATS good value. In 5-6 years no one is really going to care where a guy was projected, all we will care about is what rd he was drafted in, and did he live up to that pick. There may not be any safties "worth" the #10 pick overall, but if we can get a player to outperform Delmas for the next 1/2 a decade then GET HIM!

But only if Watkins AND Evans are gone :wink:

March 21st, 2014, 5:32 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

millam21 wrote:

Have to disagree with the observation " Pryor is deemed just a hitter "

Having watched him play as well as read several scouting reports. I have posted a few here, food for thought.

NFL.COM
Calvin Pryor
Louisville AAC
Combine Results
Grade
6.15 ?

4.58 SEC
18 REPS
Top Performer
34.5 INCH
116.0 INCH

Blue Star = Combine Top Performer

5'11" Height
31 3/8" Arm Length
207LBS. Weight
9 1/8" Hands

Analysis
Strengths
Very good instincts. Physical, lights-out hitter (see second defensive snap of UCF game). Very aggressive running the alley and seeks to make his presence felt in the run game. Sacrifices his body. Defensive tempo-setter. Made a spectacular, one-handed INT vs. UCF. Good pre-snap recognition -- makes adjustments. Explosive tackler. Can leverage the field off the hash and cover ground. Good zone recognition. Rangy enough to play center field. Carries a swagger and plays with confidence.
Weaknesses
Plays with too much reckless abandon and lacks discipline playing the cutback. Takes some bad angles and can be outflanked to the perimeter. Average production on the ball. Is not asked to play a lot of man coverage.
Draft Projection
Rounds 1-2
Bottom Line
A big, physical, hammering run defender brings an enforcer mentality to the box and an intimidating, punishing presence to the back end. Is arguably the most violent hitter in this year's draft class and should make his presence felt readily in the pros.
-Nolan Nawrocki

NFLDRAFTSCOUT.COM

Calvin Pryor

Strengths Weaknesses
STRENGTHS: Prototype body type with good anticipation and explosive closing speed. Reliable open-field tackler and intimidating presence. Lowers his shoulder on impact to create collisions in run support and when protecting the middle of the field in coverage. Good vision and spatial awareness to slip amongst the mass of humanity near the line of scrimmage to locate the ball. Shows no desire for self-preservation when taking on blockers, dropping to take them out at the knees and often is able to take out the ballcarrier. Very good ball skills. Can extend and pluck outside of his frame and shows excellent awareness to get his feet inbounds.

WEAKNESSES: Almost too physical in an era in which heavy hitters often draw penalty flags. Drops his shoulder into defenders but some of his hits could be interpreted as leading with the crown of his helmet. Wasn't asked to cover slot receivers in Louisville's scheme. A bit stiff when changing direction, allowing some separation by receivers, especially on double-moves.

COMPARES TO: Antrel Rolle, Giants - Pryor is blessed with an exciting combination of size, explosiveness and ball skills to quickly become one of the most respected defensive backs in the league early in his career.
Player Overview
Hakeem Smith and Pryor formed one of the best safety tandems in the country in 2013, compiling 69 tackles, including 5.5 for loss, three interceptions and two forced fumbles, on his way to earning 2013 All-American Athletic Conference first-team honors.

Has prototypical size and athleticism for the position and is one of the most well-round safeties in the class with explosive downhill reaction to the run, strong awareness in coverage and versatility to hold his own on the outside or in the slot.

Pryor has elite tools and potential if he can harness his sledgehammer playing style with disciplined intensity.

nationalfootballpost.com

Calvin Pryor – Safety

Pryor is a third-year junior and has been starting since his freshman year. He is a big, physical safety who loves to hit and throw his body around. His estimated size is 6’2 -210, and he has very good play speed. I would estimate his speed at 4.48. To go along with size and speed, Pryor is a very good athlete. He can change direction, plays with bend, and has a smooth turn. He shows he has a quick and low back pedal and can come out of his pedal and break on the ball without wasted steps.

Depending on the defense called, Pryor can be lined up both deep or near the line of scrimmage. He is an instinctive, quick reacting player who almost always seems to be in the right position. He is very good in run support, reacting quickly and being physical. He comes up and does a very good job getting rid of blocks and is an excellent tackler. He is one of the more explosive tacklers I have seen this year. Pryor is a top competitor who consistently chases the ball and always takes good angles.

In coverage, you don’t see him in man coverage much, but he is a very good zone player who does an excellent job picking up receivers crossing into his zone. He has excellent range to get to the sideline and help out over the top. His awareness is usually very good, but I did see him blow a coverage in one game where he was late reacting to a receiver breaking deep. Other than that play, his reactions have been good. While you don’t see him play man-to-man coverage, he has the tools to be a very good man-cover player. You see his hips and turn ability while in zone.

Pryor is one of the better safeties I have seen this year. He has the tools to be a top NFL safety and can play either strong or free. He has excellent size and can be a violent hitter. I see him as a starter his rookie year. A very solid “A” level player who should be drafted high.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now, just to add, I believe Pryor epitomizes what you want in a safety. So, yes it's obvious I like the kid alot, and he fits a position of need. To me he should rank higher than Barr because he already knows how to play a position at a high level. Whereas Barr could take time to develop into what you want. Nothing against Barr, he might turnout to be a great player, and may even be our pick.

My current want list-
1- Watkins (like most of us)
2-Kahlil Mack
3-Trade back
4-Greg Robinson or Jake Matthews (either one is a plus to our o-line)
5-Calvin Pryor
6-Mike Evans
7-Anthony Barr

March 21st, 2014, 6:43 pm

March 27th, 2014, 2:43 pm
Team MVP

thelomasbrowns wrote:

Shoot I've been saying that for weeks now.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 27th, 2014, 3:58 pm

It doesn't say much about a scout or GM that gets wowed by a WR during a pro day. The routes are all scripted and tailored towards what the WR does best and pretty much avoids the routes they struggle with. On top of all that they are facing no coverage at all, not press man, off man, two deep, or blanket coverage. Whether the Lions were to draft or another team I hope he is a great player at the next level, but right now I see a #2 WR that can be a nice red zone threat and move the chains. I'm completely fine with that and would rather have a team paying two or three #2 type WRs for the same cost of paying an elite WR. I'd like Evans lined up with Tate and CJ but not at #10, I think they get just as much a little later in the draft from a Matthews, Robinson, or Moncrief.

March 27th, 2014, 4:56 pm
RIP Killer

And last year Sharrif Floyd was practically guaranteed to be a top ten pick, and fell all the way to 23. Stuff like that happens every year. Someone gets taken earlier than expected, forcing a player or two to drop. Teams move up and take players that they value over the other players.

March 31st, 2014, 1:04 pm
QB Coach

Brandon Thomas, OG from Clemson tore his ACL working out for the Saints. I know the organization is showing a "win now" mentality, but he was moving up boards and most recently projected to go in the later 2nd or early 3rd round. If he's available we might look at picking him up with one of our compensatory picks. He can spend a year learning the system and at least be a solid backup when he's healthy next year.

April 8th, 2014, 4:56 pm
NFL Veteran

Could be a nice replacement for Sims if he can heal up and pick things up in a season on IR. I'm sure some team like SF who doesn't need a lot of help anywhere will just take him in the lower part of the 3rd.

April 8th, 2014, 6:58 pm
QB Coach

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... -be-a-lion

Ebron is telling teams he expects the Lions to draft him. I hope not. We could use a TE but we just resigned Pett so I think we're ok there for now. Fauria was decent and I think Williams will have a shot to make the team this year (if he stays healthy that is). Aside from Watkins, I want our first pick to be on defense.

April 21st, 2014, 10:50 am
NFL Veteran

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000342509/article/north-carolina-te-eric-ebron-expects-to-be-a-lion

Ebron is telling teams he expects the Lions to draft him. I hope not. We could use a TE but we just resigned Pett so I think we're ok there for now. Fauria was decent and I think Williams will have a shot to make the team this year (if he stays healthy that is). Aside from Watkins, I want our first pick to be on defense.

I'm with you. I really hope he isn't a pick for them. He has shaky hands and would just do what Pett does except deeper down the field.

April 21st, 2014, 6:28 pm
RIP Killer

Ebron is being a business man, and a smart one. The Lions don't really have an interest in him. I am willing to bet on that. However, to secure being a highly paid top ten pick, if Ebron can convince teams picks past the Lions that Detroit has their eyes on him, it could force those teams to try and move up to get him.

Smart kid. Or maybe he has a smart agent. Either way, it's all about trying to get him drafted earlier than he should.

April 22nd, 2014, 2:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next