View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 28th, 2014, 4:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 10 Reasons the Lions should take a QB at pick 10 
Player of the Year - Defense

Post Re: 10 Reasons the Lions should take a QB at pick 10
Saying the contract was a mistake is pure hindsight. 2 years ago he threw for 5k yards and 41 TDs. Last year, it was 2k to CJ, but you had Titus Young flip out, Nate break his leg, Pett drop or fumble a lot, so I don't think that was looked at like Stafford's fault. In their eyes, the contract was justified. Then this year happened.

The accuracy problems were compounded by drops, and while all teams have drops, the Lions led the league. But it wasn't just a problem with inaccuracy this year, the problem was bad decisions. Throwing into the interceptions late in the season were something that developed in the second half of the season, when he was having a pretty decent first half. And yes, I believe when he was struggling, Hill would have been a better option. He was more aggressive in his reads whenever he's played and yes, the reads on the plays are on the QB.

Coaching is to blame for allowing Stafford to slide the second half of the season. He's 25, not 35. He can definitely be improved. If he's uncoachable, then you replace him. The contract was backloaded, so it will have to be reworked or extended in 2 years anyway. 45 million guaranteed out of a 100 million contract leaves 55 million you don't have to pay him.

If you're giving up on Stafford, then why have the stipulation that a coach should have experience or a coach willing to run a 4-3 will have a better chance? If they give up on Stafford, why bother reworking Suh? Just let the cap issues be removed and start over. Good luck attracting a coach into a rebuild, because that's what it's going to be.

January 6th, 2014, 6:26 pm
RIP Killer

m2karateman wrote:
So Pablo, what you're saying is that you are ready to say that the Lions selecting Stafford was a monumental mistake? And that they compounded that mistake when they extended him this past off-season? Are you ready to say that his issues are not fixable, and at 25 years old he is not salvageable?

Not at all, but I'm not willing to bet the entire franchise on him either. I think the Lions made the right choice selecting Stafford - hell, I'm a proponent of taking a QB early and often until there is no question you have one. The contract, well I do have some issue with that but have no control over that.

I'm not saying it isn't fixable either, but do you expect a QB who hasn't really shown accuracy in 5 NFL seasons and college is suddenly going to be accurate with a coaching change?

I'm saying QB is by far (not even close), the most important position on the field. Until that is worked out, pretty much everything else is window dressing. I hope Stafford is the guy, but even once I have a hot girl that shows interest in me I keep asking other hot girls out until I seal the deal.

I've got concerns over some of his post-game comments, about not needing a QB guru, etc.

Do you not think it is worth it to spend a first round pick on a QB, even if that QB never does anything, if it helps get Staffords head on straight? Do you not think he would be held "more accountable" with a legit QB behind him? In hindsight, would you take Andrew Luck even with Stafford on the roster? Look, it doesn't have to be the #10 pick but the kid needs to be pushed IMO and this would be the most effective way to push him. New coaching staff + new QB competition = more focused Stafford.

January 6th, 2014, 6:42 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

This would have to be approached from a realistic point of view. You can't just keep drafting QBs in the first round until you "think" you have the right guy. Obviously, when the team is drafting him they think they have the right guy, or they won't select him. And often times it takes more than a couple years for that QB to develop.

Also, by drafting another QB in the first round, it does not guarantee that the QB you have will react positively and feel 'pushed' to perform better. Not everyone thrives on that type of competition. Some players, at any position, would react negatively and decide to 'shut down' or demand a trade.

It all comes down to this...the Lions had a guy on the roster who is a capable QB to replace Stafford. It was decided when Stafford was struggling that they wouldn't put the ball in the hands of Shaun Hill. We have to ask why? Was it because they honestly felt Stafford gave them a better chance to win, even when he was throwing picks? Or was it his contract and the front office forcing the coaches to play him? Or was it Stafford's fragile ego that would have gotten bruised if they told him to ride some pine? Or was it Schwartz' ego who refused to acknowledge that the player he deemed to be the Lions' saviour wasn't getting the job done?

I agree that the QB spot is the most important position on the TEAM. But you can't trot out 22 quarterbacks. I don't care who you have behind center. Brett Favre with 21 scrubs isn't going to win. At some point a team has to accept the player, and get talent around them. The Lions accepted Stafford as their QB of the future when they gave him that mega-extension-deal last year. They aren't going to attempt to draft his replacement now. They will, instead, try to shore up the other positions around him to try and cover up his flaws. If they feel that pushing him to play better by bringing in competition is the way to get him to perform better, it can be accomplished better through a seasoned vet who knows how to play in the NFL than by drafting an unproven rookie in the first round, where you are paying premium money for an unknown commodity rather than for a player that you know can get the job done, and Stafford knows he can get the job done as well. That vet may cost more, but if the idea is to force improvement in Stafford, then that money is well worth it.

The Lions had a chance to send Stafford a message at the end of this season, and they chose not to. At this point they need to hire a head coach who won't coddle him, and who straight forward tells him if he don't perform like he's getting paid to he will get pulled in favor of someone who won't let down the other 52 guys on the roster.

January 7th, 2014, 3:29 pm
Heisman Winner

I think the Lions have already bet the franchise on Stafford. I also think it would be foolish for them to spend a rd 1 pick on a QB. They are right there to being a playoff team, despite the QB's meltdown at the end of this season. I think it might be smart to look later, say rd 4 and back but any higher than that is kind of disturbing. Hill may not be back, although they will probably know that by the time the later draft rolls up. I'm not sold on the current #3, and I do not know if the FO is either. Someone needs to be the #2 in say 2-3 years, it would make sense to start looking for that guy sometime soon. The Lions have a window to win, and we/they are now in it I think. It will close in 4-7 years depending on what they do now. A top skilled WR or LB would do much more to enhance that window than drafting a QB who will not play for a while if ever.

January 8th, 2014, 8:36 pm
RIP Killer

Even if the Lions don't take a QB at 10 they should draft one. Watching the NFC Championship game last night I was struck by the fact that San Fran had a #1 overall draft pick at QB and they moved up in the draft and selected Kaepernick in the 2nd round. Seattle, after just signing Matt Flynn (having torched the Lions) to a big free agent contract still drafted Russell Wilson that year in the 3rd round.

January 20th, 2014, 9:42 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Pablo wrote:
Even if the Lions don't take a QB at 10 they should draft one. Watching the NFC Championship game last night I was struck by the fact that San Fran had a #1 overall draft pick at QB and they moved up in the draft and selected Kaepernick in the 2nd round. Seattle, after just signing Matt Flynn (having torched the Lions) to a big free agent contract still drafted Russell Wilson that year in the 3rd round.

With the high potential of losing Hill as a primary backup, and Kellen Moore having a less than impressive arm, I'd say that the Lions would be in a position where drafting a QB somewhere in the middle rounds would make sense. Drafting one tenth overall would be ridiculously foolish. However, with only six picks (so far) in the coming draft, and Stafford having played injury free the past two seasons, and their overwhelming needs at other spots, the Lions will have to pick up extra picks, or have a really good prospect fall to them for it to make sense for them to use one of those picks on a QB.

The best thing the Lions can do for their QB situation is not to get a replacement for Stafford, but to get him a QB coach who knows what he's doing and to get some depth at receiver and a reliable TE that can stretch the middle of the field. They also need an OC that doesn't abandon the run like Linehan would.

January 23rd, 2014, 3:18 pm
Pop Warner Vet

Instead of the options listed above, let's wait until Jameis Winston enters the draft in 1-2 years. Since he plays baseball too, coordinate with Ausmus and offer him the opportunity to be the next Bo Jackson. Winston, a Lion and a Tiger - oh my, world series and superbowl bound !!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 6th, 2014, 12:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2