View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 24th, 2014, 1:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 CB Darqueze Dennard runs a 4.42 
5th Round Pick - Traded

Post Re: CB Darqueze Dennard runs a 4.42
BillySims wrote:
Pablo wrote:
DJ-B wrote:
Which circles back to how a 1st rnd CB this year wont help us very much in the next few years anyways.

And how all those young CBs we have invested in the last three years now need to step up. That said, Billy I do understand where you are coming from as well from a dire need perspective.

Yes, I was thinking all day today, while I was driving, about the draft 2 years ago when we drafted 3 CB's. Bentley should be ready to produce as a regular CB now. And Greenwood showed flashes of good play last season.

But, my hopes are on Slay. In a normal year, he was good enough to be a 1st round CB. Just, CB, was loaded in the draft last year. Slay is also working with Rod Woodson last off season and this off season. Woodson believes in him. That is good enough for me. So, I think we can afford to be patient with the CB position this year. Our more pressing need is at Safety to replace Delmas.

Not only do they have a few years experience now Billy, but they just might have better secondary coaches.

March 6th, 2014, 10:46 pm
Veteran General Manager

Just seen this on detroitlions.com

Quote:
Lions young cornerbacks need to grow up quick

The Lions are expecting to see significant gains from the investment the last two years in cornerbacks Darius Slay, Bill Bentley, Chris Greenwood and Jonte Green

Detroit Lions general manager Martin Mayhew, head coach Jim Caldwell and defensive coordinator Teryl Austin have all alluded to the fact that adding talent to their secondary this offseason would be a good thing.

The Lions have ranked no higher than 13th in pass defense (average yards allowed per game) over the last 10 seasons. Eight of those years they’ve ranked 20th or worse.

If teams can’t cover in today’s NFL it doesn’t matter how much talent they might have in the front seven.

Detroit needs to get better in the back end, no question about it, but how they go about doing that is the big question.

Do they utilize the free agent market that kicks off March 11? That’s a little more expensive route, but one that could see immediate gains.

Or do they look to May’s NFL Draft for help? Could they use an early-round pick to bolster the unit?

Maybe they end up using a combination of both.

It seems inevitable some new faces will be in the Lions secondary this offseason, but they could also get more help in the form of the four cornerbacks they’ve drafted in the last two years.

Sometimes people forget the Lions spent a second round (Darius Slay), third round (Bill Bentley), fifth round (Chris Greenwood) and sixth round pick (Jonte Green) on the cornerback position the last two years.

“I think all those guys are still improving,” Mayhew said this offseason. “I think if you look at how they played as rookies or how they performed as rookies and how they played last year, there was improvement there.”

For Bentley, Greenwood and Green, 2014 will be their third season in the NFL. It's time to start producing on a consistent basis.

Bentley has proven he can be a nice slot cornerback in this league, but he has to prove he can stay healthy.

Greenwood was physical and looked like he belonged when he got an opportunity to play late last season. Three games is way too small of a sample size to make any firm conclusions on him, however. This is a big season for Greenwood, who like Bentley, also has to prove he can stay healthy, especially in training camp.

Green is another physical cornerback whose started seven games his first two seasons. Can he emerge as a solid depth player for Austin’s defense?

“We want to see continued improvement from that group,” Mayhew said. “I thought Bill Bentley played some solid football for us at times. He also dealt with some injury issues.

“(Chris) Greenwood finally got an opportunity to get on the field, played some good football for us.

“Jonte Green didn’t play early, but came on late due to injuries and played solid for us at times.”

Then there’s Slay, who is expected to make a big leap in year two. Slay has ideal size and speed, which is why the team selected him 36th overall last year.

Slay is reportedly working with Hall of Fame cornerback Rod Woodson this offseason. If he learns to trust his abilities, and get the mental part of the game down, he has a chance to really help the Lions in 2014.

“Obviously, Darius Slay has a bright future and he finished up strong in the Vikings game,” Mayhew said.

“So, it’s a young group. It’s still a developing group and I think they’re all very talented players and, you know, we’ll keep working with them.”

But like any investor, the Lions eventually have to see gains on that investment or they’ll look to sell and buy elsewhere.

“They can all play a little bit better than what they did in the past, but they are all on the right trajectory and are all improving every single year,” Mayhew said of his young cornerbacks. “I do want to see those guys get involved and get more action.

“They all have experience now and this is a good year for all those guys to step up. Those guys aren’t rookies anymore. They are second-and-third year players and we have high expectations for those group of guys.”

March 6th, 2014, 11:03 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I've seen alot of talk about Clinton-Dix and Calvin Pryor at 10 but no one wants to acknowledge the fact that Lamarcus Joyner is better than both of them. Joyner will be a steal for someone(hopefully us) in the 3rd round. In fact if we trade down, Joyner might be a guy we trade up for later.

March 9th, 2014, 12:51 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Mayock has us picking Dennard with the #10 in his most recent Mock...but then he has Minny picking up Watkins. I'm not sure what he expects them to trot out for a QB (PLEASE let it be Vick!!!), but WR doesnt seem like a huge need for them IMO, so im not putting a whole lot of stock in it at this point.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... -nfl-draft

if you'd like to watch the video (about 4 minutes long)

March 13th, 2014, 2:02 pm
Team MVP

Zero chance Watkins makes it to Minny.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 13th, 2014, 3:02 pm
Heisman Winner

Tate signing at least opens the door a bit wider to a CB possibility. There have been plenty of FA CBs out there that the Lions haven't sniffed at yet.

March 14th, 2014, 10:08 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

yostevo wrote:
Tate signing at least opens the door a bit wider to a CB possibility. There have been plenty of FA CBs out there that the Lions haven't sniffed at yet.

Fully expect the Lions to sign a veteran FA corner on the cheap to throw into the mix. Thereby eliminating the need to draft a CB in the 1st, if it ever really existed.

March 14th, 2014, 1:17 pm
Team MVP

liontrax wrote:
yostevo wrote:

Fully expect the Lions to sign a veteran FA corner on the cheap to throw into the mix. Thereby eliminating the need to draft a CB in the 1st, if it ever really existed.

I agree. No way do I know think I know everything, but i have a gut feeling there is a VERY slim chance the Lions are looking at CB in the first. At least not at #10.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

March 14th, 2014, 2:59 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Mayhew is going to fill all the gaps so on draft day there are no glaring needs, to his point of view. That way he feels justified with his BPA selection. So, if one of the tackles fall to 10 and we can't move back, then we get a player who's not a huge need, but does improve the position and affords us quality depth. Just a scenario.
I'm really hoping for a trade back, and if the top QB's fall (as I think they will) we might be in a good position to receive interest. Taking one of the corners or safety (Pryor) makes alot more sense beyond the top 15 picks, to me anyway.

March 14th, 2014, 3:34 pm
Team MVP

Yeah Im not 100% sold that if we sign ihigdebo (sp?) that our safety position is set. If we stay at 10 and Evans is off the board, I want Calvin Pryor. Even if Evans is still on the board, I think Pryor is at the top of my wish list.

March 14th, 2014, 5:08 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

At corner, the only players I really believe in are Verrett and Joyner and they are really only nickleback type players.

At safety, Pryor and Clinton-Dix are fine prospects but Jimmie Ward and Brooks are on par or superior and can be found a round or two later.

March 17th, 2014, 12:50 pm
Heisman Winner

Kiper also has Darqueze #1.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... ore_sports

By Kyle Meinke | kmeinke@mlive.com
Follow on Twitter
on April 25, 2014 at 11:02 AM, updated April 25, 2014 at 11:10 AM

Mel Kiper: Michigan State's Darqueze Dennard, not Justin Gilbert, is No. 1 corner in NFL draft

ALLEN PARK -- The Detroit Lions, in need of reinforcements at cornerback, hosted Justin Gilbert for a pre-draft visit on Thursday.

The 6-foot, 202-pound Oklahoma State star is the fastest cornerback in the draft. He's widely regarded as the No. 1 overall player at the position.

And several recruiting analysts have Gilbert headed to the Lions at No. 10.

But Mel Kiper Jr. says there's an even better cornerback available, and it's a name that will be familiar to many Lions fans: Darqueze Dennard, one of the stars of that fearsome Michigan State defense.

"Dennard is the best in terms of overall play and being able to compete at the position," the ESPN draft analyst said this week during a teleconference with reporters.

Both players were terrific in college, but Kiper believes Dennard will hold up better in the more physical NFL.

"(Gilbert's) the kind of guy, to me, is not what I thought he was going to be, in terms of the top 10 or 15. He still could be, but he's just not physical enough in run support," Kiper said. "You got to be able to tackle as well after the catch. That's the underrated part of playing corner. The most important thing is tackling in the open after the catch. There are times when I saw him struggle.

"Darqueze Dennard does not. He's an in-your-face, tough, aggressive corner. He's the kind of guy who fits that bill very effectively."

Dennard racked up 62 tackles last season, a product of Michigan State relying on his physicality to seal the edge against the run. And, oh yeah, he's pretty good in coverage too.

He had four interceptions and 10 pass breakups last year as a senior, and could be relied upon to lock down receivers in just single coverage. He won the Jim Thorpe Award as the nation's best defensive back.

The Lions could use a cornerback like that. They ranked just 23rd against the pass last year, and the starting tandem of Chris Houston and Darius Slay was a flop.

Slay, a rookie, was benched after two games. Houston was the 10th-worst regular in the league according to ProFootballFocus.

Detroit still likes Slay, who showed signs of improvement at the end of the season. But depth at the position isn't good, nor is performance.

The Lions could select a corner at No. 10 to allay those concerns. The conventional thought is Gilbert, but Dennard's stock is rising as well.

If Dennard drops past Detroit, Kiper fingered Pittsburgh as a logical fit for him.

The Steelers will be on the clock at No. 15.

"I think the ideal pick if you're the Steelers is Darqueze Dennard," Kiper said. "He's a Steeler. Rough, tough, aggressive football player, plays with a chip on his shoulder, very good in coverage, plays faster than he timed. Just a whale of a football player."

April 25th, 2014, 12:10 pm
RIP Killer

Personally I don't think either Dennard or Gilbert are worth the tenth overall pick. I don't see them as any better than Slay, who was a second round pick. Both of them have risen in the draft boards, but I think that is mostly due to the lack of talent available at the position, and the need teams have to keep at least three good corners on their roster.

My take on the Lions predicament at corner:

Bill Bentley isn't a starter. His size is part of the factor, but he just doesn't stick with the receiver as well as someone of his stature needs to. He doesn't have the leaping ability or long arms to deflect high passes from taller outside receivers. He's better at playing the nickel or dime role.

Darius Slay may yet develop into a starter, but isn't real physical. Like we've seen so many Lions corners in this past decade, he fails to line up right across from the receiver and effectively chuck the player and disrupt timing or route running lanes. He is more finesse. We need a more physical player.

Chris Houston was injured last season, and that probably affected his play. Still, they can't just give him a pass based on that. While he may have been the most consistent cover guy we had, he wasn't the same as in previous seasons.

Jonte Green has never impressed me, and as far as I'm concerned his ability to really step up his game last season when others were benched or hurt shows that he has hit his ceiling, and it is pretty damn low. I like his size and speed, but he lacks instincts and physicality. Dime player, or fifth corner that can be used as a coverage safety in a pinch. Other than that, release him.

Chris Greenwood has that prototype size everyone likes, but he can't stay healthy. When he has been healthy, word is he's shown great improvement. Problem is, the injury bug bites and his development takes a backslide. Give him one more shot, and if he can't prove his mettle, can him.

Rashean Mathis is not the player he once was, but still may be a better option than some of these other guys. I wouldn't get rid of him simply due to his age. If you can play, you can play. So, can he still play?

Now, keep in mind the Lions also signed Cassius Vaughn this off-season as well. This guy could become a starter, if nothing else by default.

Personally, I have not been all that impressed with the Lions young CB talent, and I don't think anyone else has. Time for them to put up or shut up.

April 28th, 2014, 11:34 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

m2karateman wrote:
Personally I don't think either Dennard or Gilbert are worth the tenth overall pick. I don't see them as any better than Slay, who was a second round pick. Both of them have risen in the draft boards, but I think that is mostly due to the lack of talent available at the position, and the need teams have to keep at least three good corners on their roster.

My take on the Lions predicament at corner:

Bill Bentley isn't a starter. His size is part of the factor, but he just doesn't stick with the receiver as well as someone of his stature needs to. He doesn't have the leaping ability or long arms to deflect high passes from taller outside receivers. He's better at playing the nickel or dime role.

Darius Slay may yet develop into a starter, but isn't real physical. Like we've seen so many Lions corners in this past decade, he fails to line up right across from the receiver and effectively chuck the player and disrupt timing or route running lanes. He is more finesse. We need a more physical player.

Chris Houston was injured last season, and that probably affected his play. Still, they can't just give him a pass based on that. While he may have been the most consistent cover guy we had, he wasn't the same as in previous seasons.

Jonte Green has never impressed me, and as far as I'm concerned his ability to really step up his game last season when others were benched or hurt shows that he has hit his ceiling, and it is pretty damn low. I like his size and speed, but he lacks instincts and physicality. Dime player, or fifth corner that can be used as a coverage safety in a pinch. Other than that, release him.

Chris Greenwood has that prototype size everyone likes, but he can't stay healthy. When he has been healthy, word is he's shown great improvement. Problem is, the injury bug bites and his development takes a backslide. Give him one more shot, and if he can't prove his mettle, can him.

Rashean Mathis is not the player he once was, but still may be a better option than some of these other guys. I wouldn't get rid of him simply due to his age. If you can play, you can play. So, can he still play?

Now, keep in mind the Lions also signed Cassius Vaughn this off-season as well. This guy could become a starter, if nothing else by default.

Personally, I have not been all that impressed with the Lions young CB talent, and I don't think anyone else has. Time for them to put up or shut up.

The biggest question I have in regards to our corners is, do they fit the system we plan to run?

April 28th, 2014, 3:07 pm
RIP Killer

M2k - in all fairness, it hasn't been the players lack of physicality, it's been the scheme. For years, we've ran this BS off man coverage garbage and never, ever pressed and blew up WRs at the line to disrupt the route. Keith smith was very good in press man coverage, but the staff was hell bent on playing him in an off man, or zone coverage where he stunk. I said for years that was a problem, like most everyone else on here, but it seems the methodology remains the same. Even now, we don't consistently jam and we play upwards of 10 yards off good WRs like Marshall or Jeffries.

April 28th, 2014, 11:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next