View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 30th, 2014, 7:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 CB Darqueze Dennard runs a 4.42 
RIP Killer

Post Re: CB Darqueze Dennard runs a 4.42
conversion02 wrote:
M2k - in all fairness, it hasn't been the players lack of physicality, it's been the scheme. For years, we've ran this BS off man coverage garbage and never, ever pressed and blew up WRs at the line to disrupt the route. Keith smith was very good in press man coverage, but the staff was hell bent on playing him in an off man, or zone coverage where he stunk. I said for years that was a problem, like most everyone else on here, but it seems the methodology remains the same. Even now, we don't consistently jam and we play upwards of 10 yards off good WRs like Marshall or Jeffries.

I don't disagree with you. I agree that our schemes have not driven the corners to play up on the LOS. However, it doesn't change the fact that our corners just aren't up to the task. Houston has never been a press style corner. Slay isn't either, but could evolve into one if he can bulk up some. The rest don't fit the bill, even if Greenwood is a big corner. Up to now the best chance they had at a physical corner was Aaron Berry. Too bad he's an idiot.

April 29th, 2014, 8:25 am
NFL Veteran

Post Re: CB Darqueze Dennard runs a 4.42
m2karateman wrote:
conversion02 wrote:
M2k - in all fairness, it hasn't been the players lack of physicality, it's been the scheme. For years, we've ran this BS off man coverage garbage and never, ever pressed and blew up WRs at the line to disrupt the route. Keith smith was very good in press man coverage, but the staff was hell bent on playing him in an off man, or zone coverage where he stunk. I said for years that was a problem, like most everyone else on here, but it seems the methodology remains the same. Even now, we don't consistently jam and we play upwards of 10 yards off good WRs like Marshall or Jeffries.

I don't disagree with you. I agree that our schemes have not driven the corners to play up on the LOS. However, it doesn't change the fact that our corners just aren't up to the task. Houston has never been a press style corner. Slay isn't either, but could evolve into one if he can bulk up some. The rest don't fit the bill, even if Greenwood is a big corner. Up to now the best chance they had at a physical corner was Aaron Berry. Too bad he's an idiot.

IMO Slay's just going to have to gain consistency with his hands in the press. He's already big enough and should just naturally put on some more muscle like most NFL rookies do in their early years. He was a pretty good press guy in college just not super consistent.

April 29th, 2014, 8:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4