View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 30th, 2014, 9:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Lions showing "Strong" interest in WR Sammy Watkins 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Re: Lions showing "Strong" interest in WR Sammy Watkins
Who is Watson? LOL

April 9th, 2014, 11:27 am
RIP Killer

BillySims wrote:
Who is Watson? LOL

Won't take him at 10, might take Asa Watson in the 7th or as a UFA if they are looking to add a TE... :lol:

April 9th, 2014, 11:38 am
Profile WWW
Team MVP

liontrax wrote:
Lions showing WAY-TO-MUCH interest publicly in Watson for this to be anything more than a smokescreen. This doesn't seem like Mayhew.

I 100% buy the "love".

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

April 9th, 2014, 1:18 pm
Hall of Fame Player

I am suspicious. I wonder if the Rams and the Lions have some kind of arrangement for the Lions to talk about trading up for Watkins, knowing that it won't happen, so that it drives the price up for the #2 overall pick.

Maybe in exchange for a trade up in the second round on terms that are favorable to the Lions.

I just can't see us trading away our 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks and an early pick next year to jump up to #2, the likely spot we would have to jump to to get him.

And quite frankly, I think Mayhew would be an idiot if he did it. Our offense scores enough to win games. And I think Tate can shoulder the load for a few games each year if Calvin is less than 100%.

I think we should stay at 10 unless both Watkins and Evans are gone. Chances are, there will be an OT there and we can trade down with the Giants to 12. Pick up a 3rd. Take a CB at 12. And a WR in the 2nd. Then we can trade back into the bottom of the 2nd to get a FS.

April 9th, 2014, 11:02 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Billy, no offense but you talk about trading back all the time, but it's extremely rare to happen and it's much more likely for us to trade up then trade back this year. When was the last time we traded back? And now with the rookie wage scale, draft picks aren't worth what they used to be. You also keep mentioning 4 picks to move up to #2, when 12 to 3 cost a 2nd last year.

You also mention that we score enough points, but 9 times last season we didn't score enough points. The defense gave up points, but only because we had so many three and outs, the opponents offense got that many more attempts at scoring. Our defense would hold for a long time and then when they were worn down, they would start giving them up. That's our offense being good enough?

Outside of Watkins or Evans (who i don't think is going to be a dynamic player at the next level) most of our valued gets will come in the 3rd and 4th in my opinion, so if we can get an elite player over two good players, why not go for it?

April 10th, 2014, 12:51 am
NFL Veteran

I think you also have to look at the years Caldwell spent in Indy. He had a front row seat for the perfect example of how an offense being ahead makes the defense 10 times better than it really is. The Lions have their Marvin Harrison, but they don't have their Reggie Wayne yet and Watkins sure looks like he could be that guy. I think the Lions are very serious about Watkins and I really don't think it will take a lot to jump up. I also believe we have no reason to think Mayhew would dump a load of picks for one player, he's shown himself to be pretty level headed about how much he's willing to give up to make a move.

April 10th, 2014, 8:45 am
Heisman Winner

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foo ... -big-trade

2014 NFL Mock Draft: Lions land Sammy Watkins in big trade
By Will Brinson | NFL Writer
April 10, 2014 9:18 am ET

The rumor du jour these days involve the Lions and their interest in Clemson wide receiver Sammy Watkins. It's hard to blame them. Watkins is the total package at wideout. Pairing him with Calvin Johnson and Golden Tate is flat-out terrifying.

One problem for Detroit. He won't make it to No. 10. So Martin Mayhew will have to make a substantial move up the draft board if he wants to land Watkins. He may need to make a move if he wants either Watkins or Texas A&M's Mike Evans; seeing Evans off the board before 10 would hardly be surprising.

In the mock below, I'm gonna let Detroit pull the move off in a deal with the Rams. We know St. Louis is always willing to move around, so it's plausible. And getting to No. 2 is the only way to guarantee you get Watkins (Jacksonville, Cleveland and Oakland could all take him). The price for this move won't -- or shouldn't -- be has prohibitive as the Redskins leap up to grab Robert Griffin III in 2012.

The second overall pick is worth 2,600 points on the traditional trade value chart, while 10th overall is worth 1,300. It's nearly impossible to make things work based on those old-school values — the Lions top three picks don't equate to the value of No. 2, although I suspect Les Snead would jump all over that deal if it was offered — so instead let's use Chase Stuart's updated Draft Pick Value Calculator to figure this out.

I gave Detroit No. 2 overall and gave St. Louis No. 10 and No. 45 overall and the result is surprisingly even:

There's actually an interesting precedent for this too. In the 2012 NFL Draft, the Rams moved down to No. 6 after the RG3 trade and then moved down again to No. 14 when the Cowboys wanted to make a deal, move up and grab Morris Claiborne. For the trouble of moving down eight spots, the Rams picked up the No. 45 overall pick.

Sounds familiar.

I don't think the Rams do this deal if Clowney falls to No. 2 because they can then a) attempt to auction the pick off or b) draft the best player in the pool.

My preference would be St. Louis nabbing Watkins; I think he's the second-best player in the draft and an absolute game-changer at wide receiver.

But picking up the No. 45 overall pick and giving yourself two 1's and two 2's is worth the risk of dropping back eight spots. That's four impact players in an extremely deep draft.

It's a win-win scenario and maybe more realistic than we think.

1. Houston Texans -- Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina -- None of the above affects the Texans' plans for the top spot and Clowney is still the guy. He's a freakshow talent and the best player in this draft. Houston can't — and won't — look past that.

2. Detroit Loins (VIA MOCK TRADE WITH St. Louis Rams, via Washington Redskins) -- Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson — Personally I don't agree with Detroit's fake strategy here. I'd rather stand pat at 10 in a deep draft and grab a cornerback. There are wideouts to be had later. But I also think Watkins is the second-best player in the entire draft so I can't entirely blame the Lions brass for being bold.

3. Jacksonville Jaguars -- Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo — He's got power and speed from as a pass rusher and will produce the sort of impact out of the box that will allow Jaguars fans to forget the team didn't draft a quarterback here during 2014.

4. Cleveland Browns -- Blake Bortles, QB, UCF — With Watkins off the board and the Texans letting Bortles off the top spot, Cleveland strikes early to solve their quarterback problem. Having Brian Hoyer as a potential bridge if Bortles isn't ready to go immediately is a big plus.

5. Oakland Raiders -- Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M — Couldn't you see Mark Davis falling in love with Manziel the way his father would have and gently nudging Reggie McKenzie into taking him here? Manziel would inject livelihood into this franchise.

6. Atlanta Falcons -- Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn — A giddy Thomas Dimitroff happily adds Robinson, a dominant road grader in the run, who he can plug in on the right side of his line to pave the way for Steven Jackson and protect Matt Ryan.

7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers -- Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M — Combining Evans and Vincent Jackson (the Bucs have a hole with the recently traded Mike Williams in Buffalo) will give Josh McCown a pair of targets that will look quite similar to Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffery. That worked out OK.

8. Minnesota Vikings -- Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville — A lot of people might have Derek Carr going here. Perhaps it happens. Perhaps the Vikings really like Carr. But as of right now I can't talk myself into plugging him above Bridgewater. It already makes little sense that Teddy fell to eight.

9. Buffalo Bills -- Eric Ebron, TE, UNC — Another draft, another weapon for EJ Manuel. Doug Marrone's essentially all in on his first-round pick from last year, so why not get him weapons?

10. St. Louis Rams (MOCK TRADE WITH Detroit Lions) -- Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M — Everything's coming up Snead! Not only did the Rams pick up an extra second-round pick, but they managed to get a player they covet. Jeff Fisher coached Matthews HOF dad and he gets to make his first-ever, first-round offensive lineman pick. No better time than the present.

11. Tennessee Titans — Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA — Plugging this in from now until it's pointed out that I was wrong. Barr has flop potential for sure but he's a very nice fit for Ray Horton's new 3-4 scheme and devastates quarterbacks, something every defense wants.

12. New York Giants -- Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh — The Giants need to rebuild the interior of their defensive line. Donald is undersized but he's a highly-productive player out of college and will help replace Linvall Joseph while boosting the Giants pass rush from the interior.

13. St. Louis Rams -- Hasean Clinton Dix, S, Alabama — Maybe the Rams are just fine with Tavon Austin, Stedman Bailey, Brian Quick, Austin Pettis and Kenny Britt. They can't be fine with the safety combo of TJ McDonald and Rodney McLeod though. Dix is a day one starter who will impact an already impressive secondary.

14. Chicago Bears -- Ra'shede Hageman, DT, Minnesota — The Bears already added Willie Young and Lamarr Houston as end pass rushers. Now they can use the draft to bulk up the center of their defensive line. Acquiring the 6'6, 310 Hageman, a massive presence in the middle, does just that.

15. Pittsburgh Steelers -- Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State — Kevin Colbert probably didn't think he'd get his pick of all the cornerbacks in this draft. But here we are and Pittsburgh now has the top corner on their roster.

16. Dallas Cowboys -- Louis Nix III, DT, Notre Dame — If you were creating a flowchart for the Cowboys draft it would basically ask “Is he a defensive tackle?” and if you answer “Yes” then “Draft for Cowboys.” Or something. Nix might not be their top choice, but he's a big body that can plug in the middle of Rob Marinelli's line and hopefully make up for massive personnel departures on the line.

17. Baltimore Ravens -- Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan — Surprising fall here for Lewan but Ozzie Newsome won't mind. They need some physicality on the line and Lewan can provide that. He's slot into the right tackle spot right out of the gates.

18. New York Jets -- Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State — Giving Rex Ryan a pair of young cornerbacks to work with could equate to good things. And Dennard's speciality is press man, which is exactly what Rex likes out of his cornerbacks.

19. Miami Dolphins -- Zack Martin, OT, Notre Dame — Miami's got plenty of needs but offensive line remains an important part of the equation, especially if the Dolphins expect Ryan Tannehill to progress. Or, you know, survive. Martin's got the flexibility that Miami needs on this offensive line.

20. Arizona Cardinals -- Kony Ealy, DE, Missouri — A phenomenal athlete who hasn't gotten a ton of press, Ealy's a future start in the making and can help replace John Abraham in Arizona.

21. Green Bay Packers -- Jimmie Ward, S, NIU — For as dangerous as the Packers are, they've got plenty of needs. (Not that Ted Thompson drafts for need; there are plenty of high-end talents that One of those is shoring up the back end of the secondary. Ward's got the necessary skills to be a versatile piece in the Green Bay defensive backfield.

22. Philadelphia Eagles -- Odell Beckham, WR, LSU — The Eagles need help in the secondary too but with their decision to move away from DeSean Jackson, wideout is a more pressing issue. And Beckham falling into their laps here will make Chip Kelly feel just fine about his decision on D-Jax. Beckham's a complete wideout and can do damage from all over the place. He's an impressive kick returner with outstanding field vision and plenty of burst.

23. Kansas City Chiefs -- Brandin Cooks, WR, OSU — The Chiefs could be a candidate to trade up and grab a wideout, especially if they have their sights set on Beckham (although Marqise Lee might fit the bill here). Instead they sit back and land Cooks, the uber-speedy wide receiver who can do damage from the slot and be an explosive threat and can be Andy Reid's new DeSean Jackson.

24. Cincinnati Bengals -- Dee Ford, DE, Auburn — The Bengals seem like a good bet to go cornerback or defensive end here. There's a slew of cornerbacks on the board at this point but Ford could be a good value here and could quickly replace the departed Michael Johnson on the other side of Carlos Dunlap.

25. San Diego Chargers -- Jason Verrett, CB, TCU — Verrett is a physical corner with excellent closing speed and a willing and able tackler who can also blitz from the corner spot effectively. The Chargers need, well, cornerbacks. They should be thrilled landing Verrett here.

26. Cleveland Browns (from Indianapolis Colts) -- Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State — This might no be high enough for Roby when all is said and done. He's crazy talented but has some red flags to overcome. For the Browns, they got their quarterback and now have a guy to pair across from Joe Haden. It doesn't hurt that he's a local product either. Good will for the fans and whatnot.

27. New Orleans Saints -- Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech — He didn't have to face off against a bunch of world-beating quarterbacks in the ACC, but Fuller showed plenty of talent during his run with Frank Beamer, including an innate sense of ball location, impressive technique breaking up passes in difficult locations and a willingness to tackle. He helps round out a completely reworked Saints secondary with Jairus Byrd, Kenny Vaccaro and Keenan Lewis. The Champ Bailey signing doesn't prevent New Orleans from drafting someone else.

28. Carolina Panthers -- Cyrus Kouandjio, OT, Alabama — Sticking with this pick for now. Yes the Panthers need a wide receiver or a tight end. But they need an offensive lineman more than anything. Dave Gettleman stole Star Loutlelei last year when he fell because of unnecessary health concerns. Why not the same thing with Kouandjio?

29. New England Patriots -- Jace Amaro, TE, Texas Tech — Grabbing a tight end in the first round of the draft doesn't seem very Belichickian in that it lacks value. But Amaro is a dynamic pass catcher and willing enough to block. They simply have to get more weapons around Tom Brady.

30. San Francisco 49ers -- Marqise Lee, WR, USC — With cornerback-needy teams just above them, it wouldn't shock if San Francisco made a jump up to grab one of the top-tier guys in this draft. But they'll live with Lee dropping all the way to 30 and then snagging the USC wide receiver to give Colin Kaepernick another weapon.

31. Denver Broncos — Xavier Su'a-Filo, OG, UCLA — Plenty of other concerns for the Broncos, including a wideout and a cornerback, but they learned first hand during the Super Bowl how important protecting Peyton Manning up the middle truly is. Filo will replace the departed Zane Beadles.

32. Seattle Seahawks -- Ryan Shazier, OLB, Ohio State — Just because the Seahawks have tons of pass rushers doesn't mean they have enough. Adding another versatile, impact linebacker to an already impressive corps means the rich get richer in this mock draft.

April 10th, 2014, 9:52 am
Hall of Fame Player

If we can do it and it only costs us our 2nd rounder. I could live with it. But, I seriously doubt that is all it will cost us.

April 10th, 2014, 12:29 pm
Div 1 - Starter

rao wrote:
I think you also have to look at the years Caldwell spent in Indy. He had a front row seat for the perfect example of how an offense being ahead makes the defense 10 times better than it really is. The Lions have their Marvin Harrison, but they don't have their Reggie Wayne yet and Watkins sure looks like he could be that guy.

The Lions don't have their Payton Mannning, either.

April 10th, 2014, 2:50 pm
NFL Veteran

Growler wrote:
rao wrote:
I think you also have to look at the years Caldwell spent in Indy. He had a front row seat for the perfect example of how an offense being ahead makes the defense 10 times better than it really is. The Lions have their Marvin Harrison, but they don't have their Reggie Wayne yet and Watkins sure looks like he could be that guy.

All the more reason to put better quality receivers around Stafford.

April 10th, 2014, 7:45 pm
RIP Killer

rao wrote:
Growler wrote:
rao wrote:

Problem hasn't been the quality of the receivers, it's been the quality of the throws. I don't have an issue with moving up to get Watkins, only because I think he's the top player available in the draft and can serve as the eventual replacement for Calvin. However, we can have five Calvin Johsons on the roster, and it won't mean squat if Stafford makes poor decisions or throws the ball at his feet or over his head too often to sustain drives.

I am hoping Stafford can pull his head out of his crap cave this season.

April 22nd, 2014, 2:26 pm
NFL Veteran

m2karateman wrote:
rao wrote:
Growler wrote:
rao wrote:

Problem hasn't been the quality of the receivers, it's been the quality of the throws. I don't have an issue with moving up to get Watkins, only because I think he's the top player available in the draft and can serve as the eventual replacement for Calvin. However, we can have five Calvin Johsons on the roster, and it won't mean squat if Stafford makes poor decisions or throws the ball at his feet or over his head too often to sustain drives.

I agree Staff needs to get better, but he has shown he can make the throws when his players can actually get open. He's just not accurate enough to make up for poor separation like Manning, Brady, and Brees can. He was looking great with Burleson, Young, and CJ. Young and CJ could get free from DBs and Burleson was good with the short passes and YAC. It's exactly what they would get with CJ, Watkins, and Tate, so I see it as being a great way to maximize Stafford's talent since there isn't going to be a new starting QB and he's probably never going to be able to make up for average receivers.

April 22nd, 2014, 2:44 pm
RIP Killer

rao wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
rao wrote:
Growler wrote:
rao wrote:

I agree Staff needs to get better, but he has shown he can make the throws when his players can actually get open. He's just not accurate enough to make up for poor separation like Manning, Brady, and Brees can. He was looking great with Burleson, Young, and CJ. Young and CJ could get free from DBs and Burleson was good with the short passes and YAC. It's exactly what they would get with CJ, Watkins, and Tate, so I see it as being a great way to maximize Stafford's talent since there isn't going to be a new starting QB and he's probably never going to be able to make up for average receivers.

Sorry rao, but in the NFL receivers don't 'get open' like they do in college. NFL quarterbacks are expected to put the ball on the money in tight spaces, particularly in the short and medium ranges. Stafford can make good throws. Problem was that last season he flat out didn't. I'll give an example...remember the game when Pettigrew ducked on a throw and it got picked off and taken back for a TD? Everybody blamed Pettigrew, and he did have some responsibility in that outcome. However, that throw SUCKED! It was a 10 yard out pattern to a tight end, and Stafford threw it BEHIND Pettigrew and at his head. Everybody and their sister knows that throw is supposed to lead the receiver at no higher than chest level to prevent exactly what happened. That may be only one play, but it is indicative of just how poorly he threw some balls last season on what were pretty basic patterns and throws. Stafford was HORRIBLY inconsistent last season, and that was happening early in the season and never stopped. When I was talking about how poorly Stafford was playing in weeks three and four, people were getting all over me on this very forum about it. But by games 14, 15 and 16 everyone was talking about how inconsistent Stafford was playing. His play didn't change, peoples view points did becuase they finally saw he wasn't as spectacular as they want to make him out to be. He's got a big arm, and shows moments of great ability. Unfortunately those moments are often overshadowed by poor and inconsistent overall performances. The Lions have some of the tallest receivers in the NFL, and we should be able to be automatic in the red zone because of it. Some of the issues with not using that advantage has been coaching. Scott Linehan deciding to try and resurrect the run game inside the 20 yard line is one such example. But some of those times it's been Stafford over throwing Calvin. The guy is 6'5', can jump another three feet in the air, and has a wingspan that adds another two feet. That's 11 feet of height to throw to, and Stafford often times throws it 13 feet in the air.

Sorry, but the Lions lack of passing game efficiency is on Stafford. Not all of it, some of it has been drops and some has been coaching. But most of it, about 80%, has been on Stafford not performing when he has to.

April 23rd, 2014, 10:11 am
NFL Veteran

m2karateman wrote:
rao wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
rao wrote:
Growler wrote:
rao wrote:

Sorry rao, but in the NFL receivers don't 'get open' like they do in college. NFL quarterbacks are expected to put the ball on the money in tight spaces, particularly in the short and medium ranges. Stafford can make good throws. Problem was that last season he flat out didn't. I'll give an example...remember the game when Pettigrew ducked on a throw and it got picked off and taken back for a TD? Everybody blamed Pettigrew, and he did have some responsibility in that outcome. However, that throw SUCKED! It was a 10 yard out pattern to a tight end, and Stafford threw it BEHIND Pettigrew and at his head. Everybody and their sister knows that throw is supposed to lead the receiver at no higher than chest level to prevent exactly what happened. That may be only one play, but it is indicative of just how poorly he threw some balls last season on what were pretty basic patterns and throws. Stafford was HORRIBLY inconsistent last season, and that was happening early in the season and never stopped. When I was talking about how poorly Stafford was playing in weeks three and four, people were getting all over me on this very forum about it. But by games 14, 15 and 16 everyone was talking about how inconsistent Stafford was playing. His play didn't change, peoples view points did becuase they finally saw he wasn't as spectacular as they want to make him out to be. He's got a big arm, and shows moments of great ability. Unfortunately those moments are often overshadowed by poor and inconsistent overall performances. The Lions have some of the tallest receivers in the NFL, and we should be able to be automatic in the red zone because of it. Some of the issues with not using that advantage has been coaching. Scott Linehan deciding to try and resurrect the run game inside the 20 yard line is one such example. But some of those times it's been Stafford over throwing Calvin. The guy is 6'5', can jump another three feet in the air, and has a wingspan that adds another two feet. That's 11 feet of height to throw to, and Stafford often times throws it 13 feet in the air.

Sorry, but the Lions lack of passing game efficiency is on Stafford. Not all of it, some of it has been drops and some has been coaching. But most of it, about 80%, has been on Stafford not performing when he has to.

I never said they need to "get open" like in college. The WRs the Lions have currently excluding CJ do not "get open" by any definition and even when Stafford is able to get the ball into a tight window it is often dropped. It's also on Stafford because he needs to learn to take some steam off the ball sometimes, but when your guys can't make space you don't have much choice but to try and fire a laser through the opening. Again I agree that Stafford needs to improve his accuracy, but he needs help from the other players too. This last season Stafford didn't have a WR catch more than 39 passes except for CJ. The top 3 players in receptions and yards for the team were CJ, Bell, and Bush. 2 of those 3 players should be WRs or TEs not RBs when your offense is supposed to be a passing offense.

April 23rd, 2014, 12:14 pm
RIP Killer

rao wrote:
I never said they need to "get open" like in college. The WRs the Lions have currently excluding CJ do not "get open" by any definition and even when Stafford is able to get the ball into a tight window it is often dropped. It's also on Stafford because he needs to learn to take some steam off the ball sometimes, but when your guys can't make space you don't have much choice but to try and fire a laser through the opening. Again I agree that Stafford needs to improve his accuracy, but he needs help from the other players too. This last season Stafford didn't have a WR catch more than 39 passes except for CJ. The top 3 players in receptions and yards for the team were CJ, Bell, and Bush. 2 of those 3 players should be WRs or TEs not RBs when your offense is supposed to be a passing offense.

In the NFL, "open" is half a step or even less. There were numerous, and I mean NUMEROUS times I saw guys open and Stafford still tried forcing the ball to someone else, most times CJ. And while I understand his desire to get the ball to the top receiver on the team, it doesn't excuse the fact that his field vision and decision making were as bad as his mechanics last season.

As for our RBs being second and third on the team in receptions, that is not necessarily a knock on the other receivers, but a product of the offense put together by Linehan. When the Leos signed Bush, it was their intention to get him the ball through the air as well as on the ground. He was seen as a threat out of the backfield as a receiver. When Nate got hurt, the rest of the receivers failed to step up. I agree with that. And I've already acknowledged their drops. But it wasn't the heart of the teams failure to be consistent, at least to me. You have a different opinion, and that's cool. I support getting another receiver for a reason, and that has to do with the fact that the Lions absolutely need to get better depth at receiver and need to start thinking about the future of the position. However, it is all meaningless if Stafford has another season like last year. If he does, this team goes nowhere.

April 23rd, 2014, 3:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next