View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 30th, 2014, 1:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Lions receive two comp. picks 
5th Round Pick - Traded

Post Lions receive two comp. picks
NFL compensatory picks 2014: Lions get two extra selections

By Sean Yuille @SeanYuille on Mar 24 2014, 6:16p +

The Detroit Lions have been given two compensatory picks for the 2014 NFL Draft.

The Detroit Lions have been given two extra picks in the 2014 NFL Draft. Specifically, they received a pair of compensatory picks in the fourth round on Monday at the NFL owners meetings, giving them a total of eight selections for this year's draft.

Last month, the Lions were projected to receive only one compensatory pick. It turns out that the NFL decided to give them two, though. This was based on the net loss of Cliff Avril, Gosder Cherilus, Justin Durant, Drayton Florence and Sammie Hill. The Lions did sign Reggie Bush, Jason Jones and Glover Quin last year, but the net loss of two free agents worked in their favor.

With the Lions receiving two extra fourth-round picks, they now have the following selections in the 2014 NFL Draft:

Round 1 - Pick No. 10
Round 2 - Pick No. 13
Round 3 - Pick No. 12
Round 4 - Pick No. 11
Round 4 - Pick No. 33 (compensatory)
Round 4 - Pick No. 36 (compensatory)
Round 6 - Pick No. 13
Round 7 - Pick No. 12

It's worth noting that the Lions do not have a fifth-round pick thanks to the Mike Thomas trade from 2012. It's also worth noting that compensatory picks can't be traded, so the Lions will for sure take someone with the 33rd and 36th picks in the fourth round. (Last year, the Lions took Devin Taylor with their fourth-round compensatory pick and Brandon Hepburn with their seventh-round compensatory pick.)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is excellent news!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another article on the subject.

NFL gives out 32 compensatory picks for 2014 NFL Draft
By Will Brinson | NFL Writer
March 24, 2014 6:36 pm ET

Four teams were awarded third-round compensatory draft picks. Four teams were awarded third-round compensatory draft picks. (USATSI)

More NFL offseason: Mock Drafts | Prospect Rankings | Pro Days | Top free agents

ORLANDO -- The NFL awarded 13 clubs a total of 32 compensatory picks for the 2014 NFL Draft on Monday, the league announced.

Compensatory picks are awarded based on free agents a team lost (and offset by free agents gained by that team) in the previous offseason.

The Steelers (third round, No. 97 overall), Packers (third, 98), Ravens (third, 99) and 49ers (third, 100) all received a single third-round compensatory pick, the highest pick available.

The Lions (133rd and 136th overall) and Ravens (134th and 138th overall) each received two fourth-round compensatory picks, while the Texans, Jets, Falcons and Patriots each received a single fourth-round compensatory pick.

The Steelers, Giants, Ravens and Packers each received a single fifth-round compensatory pick.

The Jets received three sixth-round compensatory picks, while the Texans, Bengals, Rams and Steelers each received a single sixth-round compensatory pick.

The Texans will make the final selection of the 2014 NFL Draft (compensatory picks are not eligible to be traded) having received the 256th overall pick as their single seventh-round compensatory pick.

The Cowboys received three seventh-round compensatory picks, while the Rams and Falcons received a pair of them. The Bengals also received a single additional seventh-round pick.

We now have the 10th-1st, 45th-2nd, 76th-3rd, this is best guess- 111 plus 133 and 136 in the 4th.

March 24th, 2014, 6:24 pm
QB Coach

Post Re: Lions receive two comp. picks
Gotta admit when I was wrong, I didn't think we'd get any picks. This is great news however. In a draft like this those players could be contributors right from the start.

March 24th, 2014, 7:46 pm
Hall of Fame Player

I thought we would get a 3rd round comp for Gos. But, two 4th round comps is good.

March 25th, 2014, 1:02 am
RIP Killer

Love it and honestly I'd be more willing to part ways with our 4th, 6th or 7th round picks now to maneuver in the draft to grab a great player.

March 25th, 2014, 9:21 am
Profile WWW
5th Round Pick - Traded

Pablo wrote:
Love it and honestly I'd be more willing to part ways with our 4th, 6th or 7th round picks now to maneuver in the draft to grab a great player.

Afraid it would take more than that to make much of a move.

March 25th, 2014, 9:54 am
RIP Killer

liontrax wrote:
Pablo wrote:

I'm not talking about round 1, I'm talking about rounds 2 (where they have moved around a lot in the past) and 3. I'd rather sit still at 10 or ideally drop back up 3-5 spots. Even then, you can package a 1st and 6th to drop back for a 1st and 3rd for example.

March 25th, 2014, 10:29 am
Profile WWW
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Pablo wrote:
liontrax wrote:
Pablo wrote:

I'm not talking about round 1, I'm talking about rounds 2 (where they have moved around a lot in the past) and 3. I'd rather sit still at 10 or ideally drop back up 3-5 spots. Even then, you can package a 1st and 6th to drop back for a 1st and 3rd for example.

lets not forget that teams are still going to make june 1st cuts. those teams would rather get soemthing for their high priced guy than just let him go. Bolden-esk deals will be there for the taking for someone!

March 25th, 2014, 11:49 am
3rd Round Selection

If we pick two players in those spots that hit Devin Taylor's levels of production and potential, I'd be delighted.

March 25th, 2014, 12:14 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Pablo wrote:
liontrax wrote:
Pablo wrote:

Ah, I see your point. I feel like with the extra 4's that we can't trade, affords us the flexibility to move around more with the previous picks.

March 25th, 2014, 4:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]