View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 21st, 2017, 1:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Watkins scenario Pros/Cons 
Mr. Irrelevant

Post Re: Watkins scenario Pros/Cons
I saw one of those nfl re,draft show segments this morning. It's always interesting to look back at what we were debating prior to the draft and see how things have played out.

November 8th, 2014, 9:48 am
League MVP

In a re-draft, I would have like Zach Martin, Odell Beckham Jr., or MAYBE Lewan. I didnt like the Ebron pick when it happened, then I warmed up to it hearing how Lombardi was going to put him all over the field and use him this way and that way, now seeing how he seems to have little impact, I dont like the pick once again. I understand hes a rookie. But, Zach Martin sure is doing well. Look at Beckham Jr, the guy I really wanted. He's doing fantastic now that hes healthy.

Oh well.

November 11th, 2014, 9:06 pm
Team President - Rod Wood

kdsberman wrote:
In a re-draft, I would have like Zach Martin, Odell Beckham Jr., or MAYBE Lewan. I didnt like the Ebron pick when it happened, then I warmed up to it hearing how Lombardi was going to put him all over the field and use him this way and that way, now seeing how he seems to have little impact, I dont like the pick once again. I understand hes a rookie. But, Zach Martin sure is doing well. Look at Beckham Jr, the guy I really wanted. He's doing fantastic now that hes healthy.

Oh well.

even if they had taken beckham he d likely be in the same situation as ebron - behind calvin johnson, tate, bell, bush, etc. not only is ebron a rookie, he s a rookie TE. TEs are almost never studs in the first season - graham, gonzalez, gates, witten, davis, etc. what you are commenting on means very little, you might be jumping up and down for joy next season about ebron. lewan is a stud, he d be the pick in a re-draft scenario but he probably wouldnt be available.

November 11th, 2014, 10:44 pm
League MVP

The Legend wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

Oh well.

even if they had taken beckham he d likely be in the same situation as ebron - behind calvin johnson, tate, bell, bush, etc. not only is ebron a rookie, he s a rookie TE. TEs are almost never studs in the first season - graham, gonzalez, gates, witten, davis, etc. what you are commenting on means very little, you might be jumping up and down for joy next season about ebron. lewan is a stud, he d be the pick in a re-draft scenario but he probably wouldnt be available.

I dont really care how rookie TE's "normally" do. Through the whole offseason, Lombardi talked this guy up how they are going to use him in a thousand different ways and how he will be a key to this offense. This offense hasnt done a whole lot this year and I sure as heck dont see him making all these big plays. Rookie or not.

November 13th, 2014, 6:08 am
Def. Coordinator – Teryl Austin

kdsberman wrote:
The Legend wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

Oh well.

I dont really care how rookie TE's "normally" do. Through the whole offseason, Lombardi talked this guy up how they are going to use him in a thousand different ways and how he will be a key to this offense. This offense hasnt done a whole lot this year and I sure as heck dont see him making all these big plays. Rookie or not.

To be fair, has ANYTHING Lombardi hyped up lived up to expectations yet? If our D was only a top 10 D, and not top of the league, I have a feeling Lions fans everywhere would be calling for his head already.

November 13th, 2014, 10:53 am
League MVP

regularjoe12 wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
The Legend wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

Oh well.

To be fair, has ANYTHING Lombardi hyped up lived up to expectations yet? If our D was only a top 10 D, and not top of the league, I have a feeling Lions fans everywhere would be calling for his head already.

Very true.

November 13th, 2014, 2:37 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

kdsberman wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
The Legend wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

Oh well.

Very true.

With the way the online has been playing this season I don't know how Lombardi is supposed to somehow move the TEs around when he needs one to block so often.

November 13th, 2014, 8:02 pm
RIP Killer

The Legend wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

Oh well.

BUT, to be fair, how often does our team use three TEs on offense, or even two. However, there are always at least two WRs on the field, and often there are three. So adding a quality TE above a quality WR, when we already had two TEs considered good on the roster, made no sense to me then and continues to make no sense. I'd have picked have Odell Beckham over Ebron, simply because of Calvin getting injured more often than earlier in his career, and look what happened this season. Now, Tate stepped up when I didn't think he would. I will admit, happily, my mistake on him. But some are saying rookie TEs don't often make an impact. However, people ALWAYS say that about ANY position when it comes to a rookie and how they will impact a team.

Facts are facts. You can't pick a position and say a player chosen there won't be an impact guy in his first year. It depends on the player, not the position. And, to some extent, it depends on the coaches.

Ebron has had some health issues. And when he has been healthy, he's been pretty decent. But definitely not the guy who stands out like one would expect from the 10th overall pick in the draft.

November 13th, 2014, 8:03 pm
League MVP

m2karateman wrote:
The Legend wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

Oh well.

BUT, to be fair, how often does our team use three TEs on offense, or even two. However, there are always at least two WRs on the field, and often there are three. So adding a quality TE above a quality WR, when we already had two TEs considered good on the roster, made no sense to me then and continues to make no sense. I'd have picked have Odell Beckham over Ebron, simply because of Calvin getting injured more often than earlier in his career, and look what happened this season. Now, Tate stepped up when I didn't think he would. I will admit, happily, my mistake on him. But some are saying rookie TEs don't often make an impact. However, people ALWAYS say that about ANY position when it comes to a rookie and how they will impact a team.

Facts are facts. You can't pick a position and say a player chosen there won't be an impact guy in his first year. It depends on the player, not the position. And, to some extent, it depends on the coaches.

Ebron has had some health issues. And when he has been healthy, he's been pretty decent. But definitely not the guy who stands out like one would expect from the 10th overall pick in the draft.

You're very good at wording things M2k lol. Seriously, I agree with everything you said. When all my friends and family asked me who I think the Lions will or should take at #10, I told them Odell. It only makes the most sense considering, like you said, Calvin's health AND the fact that though hes not old, he sure isnt getting any younger. The signs were there: Beckham is a playmaker. We had a chance to get him. Isnt that what you want when you are picking that high? A playmaker? And look how he's doing with NYG, in an offense that has NEVER been based around the passing game.

I just hope I look back at the end of the season at this post and reply with "Guess I was wrong".

November 13th, 2014, 8:55 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

kdsberman wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
The Legend wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

Oh well.

You're very good at wording things M2k lol. Seriously, I agree with everything you said. When all my friends and family asked me who I think the Lions will or should take at #10, I told them Odell. It only makes the most sense considering, like you said, Calvin's health AND the fact that though hes not old, he sure isnt getting any younger. The signs were there: Beckham is a playmaker. We had a chance to get him. Isnt that what you want when you are picking that high? A playmaker? And look how he's doing with NYG, in an offense that has NEVER been based around the passing game.

I just hope I look back at the end of the season at this post and reply with "Guess I was wrong".

NYG has been dedicated to WRs like Beckham since 2009 when they lost Burress and Toomer. Hixon, Nicks, Manningham, Steve Smith and Cruz were all major parts of the offense for the Giants. Beckham is just following the trend in Giants WRs thats been happening for a very long time. Since 2009 the Giants have been able to turn whoever there 2 starting WRs are into stars no matter who they turned to on their roster.

November 13th, 2014, 9:16 pm
League MVP

rao wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
The Legend wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

Oh well.

NYG has been dedicated to WRs like Beckham since 2009 when they lost Burress and Toomer. Hixon, Nicks, Manningham, Steve Smith and Cruz were all major parts of the offense for the Giants. Beckham is just following the trend in Giants WRs thats been happening for a very long time. Since 2009 the Giants have been able to turn whoever there 2 starting WRs are into stars no matter who they turned to on their roster.

i KNEW someone would quote me on that sentence. What I meant was, you generally dont look at the who the top passing attacks are and think of the NYG.

November 13th, 2014, 9:44 pm

kdsberman wrote:
The Legend wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

Oh well.

lombardi probably will use ebron in a thousand different ways, lombardi's just not going to use him ahead of calvin johnson and golden tate a thousand different ways in his rookie and especially not with him banged up in his rookie season. there s offseason hype and there is reality. lombardi wouldnt use beckham ahead of those guys either. sounds like you just want to be unhappy, go ahead but you d do the same thing if you were lombardi. truth is even if you care about one thing or another you still havent made a valid criticism. maybe you can say that ebron hasnt learned the playbook fast enough or maybe hasnt done enough to stay healthy but expecting him to be a prime contributor out the gate or else its a fail doesnt make a lot of sense.

November 14th, 2014, 6:44 pm

m2karateman wrote:
The Legend wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

Oh well.

each TE brings something difft to the table and thats a big thing with ebron. ebron s a unique talent unlike either of the other two. i wouldnt think of this as a comparison bw having a great 3rd WR and having a great 3rd TE. Ebron will be the top passing target at TE and may be the top passing target on the team in time. i see him getting more targets than ross and fuller if and when he s healthy and that would be the same if they took beckham but maybe beckham would see more snaps on the field than what ebron has.

November 14th, 2014, 6:54 pm
League MVP

The Legend wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
The Legend wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

Oh well.

lombardi probably will use ebron in a thousand different ways, lombardi's just not going to use him ahead of calvin johnson and golden tate a thousand different ways in his rookie and especially not with him banged up in his rookie season. there s offseason hype and there is reality. lombardi wouldnt use beckham ahead of those guys either. sounds like you just want to be unhappy, go ahead but you d do the same thing if you were lombardi. truth is even if you care about one thing or another you still havent made a valid criticism. maybe you can say that ebron hasnt learned the playbook fast enough or maybe hasnt done enough to stay healthy but expecting him to be a prime contributor out the gate or else its a fail doesnt make a lot of sense.

YUP, I just want to be unhappy. You freakin nailed it! Sure glad you know know the whole ins and outs of the Ebron situation. :roll:

November 14th, 2014, 8:49 pm

kdsberman wrote:
The Legend wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
The Legend wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

Oh well.

YUP, I just want to be unhappy. You freakin nailed it! Sure glad you know know the whole ins and outs of the Ebron situation. :roll:

the only thing i know is that you arent being reasonable or rational when comparing situations. beckham may end up being a better player than ebron or he might not im really not sure at this point. titus young looked good as a rookie, that ended up meaning nothing. herman moore did next to nothing but became a big time star. beckham is being afforded an opportunity that ebron doesnt have with cruz being injured and the team falling on its face out the gate. on the other hand, ebron being at best the 4th option for looks on a team in serious contention with a guy having a breakout season and a future HOF WR who is at least top 5 at the position. the lions dont need to use ebron as much as the giants now need to use beckham. you re judging it way too early, 9 games does not make a career. your point about what the coaches and organization said after the draft are equally meaningless - all teams hype up there draft picks afterwards particularly first rounders. nobody is claiming to have any inside information about the "Ebron situation." its actually a good situation: the lions have a young talented, highly rated player that they would love to involve more in the game plans and despite him having minimal at best production the team has cruised to 7-2 and the offense has come up with game winning drives 3 weeks in a row without him. isnt that a good sign of things to come when they start figuring out how to involve him? kind of like a midseason acquisition? or it would it be better if everyone ahead of him went down and they re forced to have the rookie be the focus of the passing game and carry the offense? at least then you would have some stats to be excited about.

November 14th, 2014, 11:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next