View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 21st, 2017, 11:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Watkins scenario Pros/Cons 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Re: Watkins scenario Pros/Cons
Pablo wrote:
BillySims wrote:
I am not in any way comparing Ebron to Tony Gonzalez.

But, Pat Kirwan was talking about Ebron because a caller called him a bust today. And pat went on to say that when Tony Gonzalez was a rookie, he had and lot of drops also. But, that offseason Gonzalez read a whole lot of books about personal success and visited a bunch of highly successful people. Both athletes and non-athletes and asked them how they overcame their adversities. The point about the comments was that Ebron should be proactive on his own merit and take the initiative to find an answer to his troubles this off season.

Like Slay has done with his working out with Rod Woodson, and we can see the improvement this year, Ebron should seek out the help from someone like Gonzalez and see if that will help him be better next year.

Gonzo played bball in college in addition to football, he didn't really start concentrating on football full time until entering the NFL. He played on a very avg Cal team in football playing for Mooch but his bball team were good and made the sweet 16. Ebron to Gonzo is a poor comparison IMO. That said, he does need to work on the drops. My concern is that this was a widely known issue with him in college, shouldn't the coaching staff focused on this with him since May?

He was 4/4 in his game against the Cardinals. I don't think his drops are a big concern unless he has another couple games like the NE game this season. Other than this last game he's been pretty on par with most TEs other than the fact he has such low usage. He really needs to work on his route running, I think he looks really slow when he's out on the field and just kinda unsure of himself.

November 26th, 2014, 11:51 am
NFL Team Captain

Pablo wrote:
BillySims wrote:
I am not in any way comparing Ebron to Tony Gonzalez.

But, Pat Kirwan was talking about Ebron because a caller called him a bust today. And pat went on to say that when Tony Gonzalez was a rookie, he had and lot of drops also. But, that offseason Gonzalez read a whole lot of books about personal success and visited a bunch of highly successful people. Both athletes and non-athletes and asked them how they overcame their adversities. The point about the comments was that Ebron should be proactive on his own merit and take the initiative to find an answer to his troubles this off season.

Like Slay has done with his working out with Rod Woodson, and we can see the improvement this year, Ebron should seek out the help from someone like Gonzalez and see if that will help him be better next year.

Gonzo played bball in college in addition to football, he didn't really start concentrating on football full time until entering the NFL. He played on a very avg Cal team in football playing for Mooch but his bball team were good and made the sweet 16. Ebron to Gonzo is a poor comparison IMO. That said, he does need to work on the drops. My concern is that this was a widely known issue with him in college, shouldn't the coaching staff focused on this with him since May?

" My concern is that this was a widely known issue with him in college "

Yet the Lions draft him with the 10th pick. I realize the draft is all about potential but, the Lions seem to fail in this endeavor more often than not. I haven't given up hope that he develops into a top TE. Usually Mayhew reserves the 2nd and 4th rounds for his draft day blunders.

November 26th, 2014, 3:54 pm
Pro Bowl Player

It's his attention more than it is his hands, just look at the seam route play where he beat his man off the line and never even looked for the ball. If he isn't hitting the practice field and the film room hard now he better start doing it quickly or he will be average at best in the NFL.

November 26th, 2014, 5:48 pm
RIP Killer

sweetd20 wrote:
It's his attention more than it is his hands, just look at the seam route play where he beat his man off the line and never even looked for the ball. If he isn't hitting the practice field and the film room hard now he better start doing it quickly or he will be average at best in the NFL.

Good observation. Some of what he is messing up on is basics, simple stuff taught to school kids playing football. You NEVER run a route and not start looking for the ball after two or three seconds. NEVER. You are always supposed to act as if the ball is coming your way, even if you know you're the third or fourth receiver in the progression, or even if you know the QB doesn't have the arm to get it to you. You can't catch a ball you can't see coming.

Ebron may have a boatload of potential, and perhaps they saw in him the same qualities they saw in Ziggy Ansah. Raw, unpolished but terrific athletic skills for the position. Great. Start using him more in the passing game. It's the best way for him to learn.

November 27th, 2014, 9:53 am
League MVP

m2karateman wrote:
sweetd20 wrote:

Good observation. Some of what he is messing up on is basics, simple stuff taught to school kids playing football. You NEVER run a route and not start looking for the ball after two or three seconds. NEVER. You are always supposed to act as if the ball is coming your way, even if you know you're the third or fourth receiver in the progression, or even if you know the QB doesn't have the arm to get it to you. You can't catch a ball you can't see coming.

Ebron may have a boatload of potential, and perhaps they saw in him the same qualities they saw in Ziggy Ansah. Raw, unpolished but terrific athletic skills for the position. Great. Start using him more in the passing game. It's the best way for him to learn.

THIS.

And his simple out-route that hit him in the hands today didnt help me like this pick any more.

November 27th, 2014, 6:01 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

kdsberman wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
sweetd20 wrote:

THIS.

And his simple out-route that hit him in the hands today didnt help me like this pick any more.

The kid was still 3 for 4 on the day and had a nice hurdle showing his athleticism. I really thought he was going to get some real looks this game but after that drop they never went back to him.

Last edited by rao on November 28th, 2014, 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

November 27th, 2014, 8:19 pm
QB Coach - Brian Callahan

m2karateman wrote:
sweetd20 wrote:

This. I wonder if the spotlight plus the injuries just have him a bit distracted at times. It will only intensify during the playoff run, so we'll have to see how he responds. Most receivers take a bit longer to get caught up and I view him more as a receiver but one that also has blocking responsibilities, so if he is the raw prospect, we'll see if he breaks out next season like Ansah did this season.

November 27th, 2014, 10:07 pm
Team President - Rod Wood

ebron had a decent game, he made a few catches and showed off some athleticism hurdling Kyle Fuller. Ebron also had a decent day blocking Jared Allen of all people. There s definitely hope there and I think we will see more as Lombardi appears to be making more of an effort to get him involved.

November 28th, 2014, 8:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6