View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 2nd, 2015, 10:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Melvin Gordon a Lion 
Red Shirt Freshman

Post Melvin Gordon a Lion
I'm starting early, neither Bell or Bush is the answer time to cut bait. Draft Gordon in the Bell role and Riddick in the Bush role. Let's legitimize our run game or get Gurley in the 2nd or trade up in early 3rd.

November 17th, 2014, 1:53 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: Melvin Gordon a Lion
Mufasa wrote:
I'm starting early, neither Bell or Bush is the answer time to cut bait. Draft Gordon in the Bell role and Riddick in the Bush role. Let's legitimize our run game or get Gurley in the 2nd or trade up in early 3rd.

First this offense needs a coordinator who knows how to put together an offense. Lombardi has been atrocious as a playcaller and as a scheme developer. I am convinced the problems up front have more to do with his poor blocking schemes than with the injuries. Warford was an All Pro talent last year, and this year he looked pretty pedestrian until he got hurt. The only player up front having a better year is Reiff, and that is marginally so.

You don't open holes, I don't care who the back is. You simply won't make yards. It's no coincidence that both the run and pass game this season is struggling.

November 17th, 2014, 7:05 pm
Pro Bowl Player

Well Gurley just got hurt (ACL) and Gordon is going to go too high to legitimize the run game. I've been saying for a long time the run game needs to be improved but the O-line especially LG and RT need to be upgraded. Waddle had a decent rookie season but has been underwhelming and too frequently injured to be counted on as a cornerstone of the OL. I like Bell and he can have some big runs but he isn't reliable ( the O-line carries some of the blame) when it comes to pick up the must have yards. Bell is a great insurance policy and reliable backup but not a RB that a run game should be built around. I'd love to see Gordon in a Lion's uniform but they have bigger needs and can get a Duke Johnson or Tevin Coleman, I'd even like to see them take a flier on Michael Dyer late in the draft as he seems to have straightened out his life. The O-line has to be shored up first and foremost.

November 17th, 2014, 8:03 pm
Team MVP

m2karateman wrote:
Mufasa wrote:

First this offense needs a coordinator who knows how to put together an offense. Lombardi has been atrocious as a playcaller and as a scheme developer. I am convinced the problems up front have more to do with his poor blocking schemes than with the injuries. Warford was an All Pro talent last year, and this year he looked pretty pedestrian until he got hurt. The only player up front having a better year is Reiff, and that is marginally so.

You don't open holes, I don't care who the back is. You simply won't make yards. It's no coincidence that both the run and pass game this season is struggling.

This.

And if the Lions took a RB high in the draft, i WILL stop watching this team. That will freakin seal the deal right there. They already did a number by taking a TE at 10 overall. If thinking a RB will solve the Lions offensive issues, you havent watched ANY Lions football this year.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

November 17th, 2014, 8:30 pm
Team MVP

The only offensive player the Lions should touch with a first round pick is an Olineman. Been saying it since before last years draft, we need a new C and LG. Swanson could possibly fill one of those spots, so we need to fill the other one. We need a coordinator who can figure out the strengths of this team and develop a game plan around them. Lombardi is in over his head right now

November 17th, 2014, 8:42 pm
NFL Team Captain

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
The only offensive player the Lions should touch with a first round pick is an Olineman. Been saying it since before last years draft, we need a new C and LG. Swanson could possibly fill one of those spots, so we need to fill the other one. We need a coordinator who can figure out the strengths of this team and develop a game plan around them. Lombardi is in over his head right now

They don't need a 1st round OC or OG, they just drafted Swanson and both positions could be filled with a 2nd/3rd rounder or FA. This coming year would be a great year to just go BPA since they couldn't really go wrong taking any position even QB.

November 18th, 2014, 1:01 am
1st Round Pick

The Lions inconsistent run game is a culmination of lack of talent as well as the inability to grasp a new system. It's painfully obvious that the O-line hasn't efficiently executed the blocking schemes to establish a consistent ground game. Some of that is growing pains with the implementation of a new offense. Some is from not having sufficient talent to execute the requirements to produce a solid running attack. I do believe they need to draft a dynamic RB this year. A great back can make a mediocre line look good. But I feel it's equally important to continue to draft O-line talent with early picks. The Lions should be able to get a pretty good RB this year in the first 4 rounds. Hopefully they address the O-line at some point in the same area of the draft.

November 22nd, 2014, 11:09 am
RIP Killer

liontrax wrote:
The Lions inconsistent run game is a culmination of lack of talent as well as the inability to grasp a new system. It's painfully obvious that the O-line hasn't efficiently executed the blocking schemes to establish a consistent ground game. Some of that is growing pains with the implementation of a new offense. Some is from not having sufficient talent to execute the requirements to produce a solid running attack. I do believe they need to draft a dynamic RB this year. A great back can make a mediocre line look good. But I feel it's equally important to continue to draft O-line talent with early picks. The Lions should be able to get a pretty good RB this year in the first 4 rounds. Hopefully they address the O-line at some point in the same area of the draft.

+1....good post

November 23rd, 2014, 8:47 pm
RIP Killer

I'd say
OL
CB
DT
RB
WR
DE

November 23rd, 2014, 10:33 pm
1st Round Pick

conversion02 wrote:
I'd say
OL
CB
DT
RB
WR
DE

I'm thinking:
WR
RB
G/C
CB - S
MLB
OT
D-LINE

December 6th, 2014, 1:32 pm
Off. Coordinator – Joe Lombardi

DT- Suh/Fairley/Mosley all free agents
CB- Mathis is up there in age and the top nickelbacks both with major injuries
OG- Sims will be a free agent and has become a below average player. Would be higher but Swanson could play the position for a year if Raiola wants to return.
RB- They need a dynamic runner to pair with Bell as Bush has been either unreliable in 2013 (drops, fumbles) or unavailable in 2014.
OT- Waddle and Lucas are far along for undrafted guys but arent quite leaving the confidence to be bonafide starters.
WR- A 3rd WR with some polish and athleticism would be useful (though not as much as a run game)
DE- Jones enters the final year of his deal and a young passrusher to pair with Ansah should be groomed.
QB- Moore and Orlovsky are free agents. An upgrade at the No 2 spot with upside to maybe unseat Stafford in a couple years.

December 6th, 2014, 7:52 pm
Pro Bowl Player

December 11th, 2014, 3:17 pm
RIP Killer

I would Love Gordon here. Dude is a beast and he can do it all. They say he can only run outside and then he pounds it between the tackles. They say he can't catch and then he shows off some mad sticky hands. He's a beast

December 12th, 2014, 5:59 pm
RIP Killer

conversion02 wrote:
I would Love Gordon here. Dude is a beast and he can do it all. They say he can only run outside and then he pounds it between the tackles. They say he can't catch and then he shows off some mad sticky hands. He's a beast

I'm not a big fan of taking a RB in round one, but if he fell to the Lions and they were picking in the late 20s in round one, I wouldn't be too upset about it. I'd still prefer they get a lineman, either on offense or defense, but in the late 20s Gordon would be a great value.

December 12th, 2014, 6:51 pm
Hall of Fame Head Coach

m2karateman wrote:
conversion02 wrote:

I'm not a big fan of taking a RB in round one, but if he fell to the Lions and they were picking in the late 20s in round one, I wouldn't be too upset about it. I'd still prefer they get a lineman, either on offense or defense, but in the late 20s Gordon would be a great value.

I like Gordon. But, when was the last Wisconsin RB that amounted to anything in the NFL?

December 12th, 2014, 8:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next