View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 28th, 2014, 9:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 The QBs 
Hall of Fame Player

Post The QBs
I don't care where they go. As long as the 3 best QBs are gone before the Vikings pick at 8. And I want at least 8 of them gone before our 2nd round pick if we don't trade it away.

Everyone knows the top 4. Here are the next 4 I want to see gone actually before the Vikings pick in the 2nd round.

Metzenburger
Murray
My prediction for Houston's 2nd round pick: The Penn St QB. Blanking on his name right now.
The Eastern Illinois QB.

April 15th, 2014, 7:26 am
QB Coach

Post Re: The QBs
BillySims wrote:
I don't care where they go. As long as the 3 best QBs are gone before the Vikings pick at 8. And I want at least 8 of them gone before our 2nd round pick if we don't trade it away.

I think you're dreaming. If memory serves, you posted something similar about QBs going early leading up to the draft last year. I just looked back over the past 10 years of drafts, and on average only 2.8 QBs are taken in the first round. But just for conversation's sake let's round that up to 3. If we drill down a bit further and look at QBs taken before the 8th pick, the average drops to 1.45. I'll be generous and round that up to 2. To go a step further, our 2nd pick is #45. If we look at how many QBs have been drafted by that pick, the average is 3.55. Let's round that up to 4. That's not close to 8. In fact, not once in the past 10 years have 8 QBs been picked before the 45th pick. So let's see:

3 QBs gone before pick #8: It's very unlikely to happen. On average, only 2 QBs are taken by then. In fact, 3 QBs being taken by 8 has only happened once, and that was in 2012 when Luck and RGIII were in the same draft. That's a very rare occurrence.
8 QBs gone by pick #45: also very unlikely. I'd say there's zero chance of this happening since it's never happened in the past 10 years. I even went all the way back to 1950, and it has never happened. The closest was in 1983 when there were 6 QBs taken, and that draft included John Elway, Jim Kelly, and Dan Marino. This year's draft doesn't even necessarily have 1 elite QB.

Me thinks you're wishing for things that have almost no chance of happening.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

April 15th, 2014, 8:00 am
RIP Killer

Why? How many franchise QBs do you see in this years draft? Maybe Broyles? I'd love to see the Vikes waste another 1st round pick on a QB...

April 15th, 2014, 8:25 am
Profile WWW
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Touchdown Jesus wrote:
BillySims wrote:

I think you're dreaming. If memory serves, you posted something similar about QBs going early leading up to the draft last year. I just looked back over the past 10 years of drafts, and on average only 2.8 QBs are taken in the first round. But just for conversation's sake let's round that up to 3. If we drill down a bit further and look at QBs taken before the 8th pick, the average drops to 1.45. I'll be generous and round that up to 2. To go a step further, our 2nd pick is #45. If we look at how many QBs have been drafted by that pick, the average is 3.55. Let's round that up to 4. That's not close to 8. In fact, not once in the past 10 years have 8 QBs been picked before the 45th pick. So let's see:

3 QBs gone before pick #8: It's very unlikely to happen. On average, only 2 QBs are taken by then. In fact, 3 QBs being taken by 8 has only happened once, and that was in 2012 when Luck and RGIII were in the same draft. That's a very rare occurrence.
8 QBs gone by pick #45: also very unlikely. I'd say there's zero chance of this happening since it's never happened in the past 10 years. I even went all the way back to 1950, and it has never happened. The closest was in 1983 when there were 6 QBs taken, and that draft included John Elway, Jim Kelly, and Dan Marino. This year's draft doesn't even necessarily have 1 elite QB.

Wow, man, way to do the homework! I never would have imagined that so few qb's were taken early. They are always the big news and the front page of every football website after the draft that i guess it has thrown my perception off of how many QB's go early. I thought 8 was a huge stretch but i was under the impression that 4-5 QB's going in the first was pretty common. Guess not.

April 15th, 2014, 8:38 am
Hall of Fame Player

Touchdown Jesus wrote:
BillySims wrote:

I can wish for whatever I want to wish for. Where have I said that I expect it to happen?

But, there is a real chance that a bunch of them could be gone before our 2nd round pick.

On top of the teams who are desperate for a QB, there are a few teams at the bottom of round 1 that have aging veteran QB's that just might want to groom a guy for a fear years. If you draft them in the 1st round, you get them on a. 4 year contract. Plus, you can tag them as a restricted FA after that.

Denver
Arizona
San Diego
New Orleans

I am not claiming they will. Just saying that they might. And hoping that they do.

April 15th, 2014, 10:24 am
QB Coach

BillySims wrote:
I can wish for whatever I want to wish for. Where have I said that I expect it to happen?

But, there is a real chance that a bunch of them could be gone before our 2nd round pick.

On top of the teams who are desperate for a QB, there are a few teams at the bottom of round 1 that have aging veteran QB's that just might want to groom a guy for a fear years. If you draft them in the 1st round, you get them on a. 4 year contract. Plus, you can tag them as a restricted FA after that.

Denver
Arizona
San Diego
New Orleans

I am not claiming they will. Just saying that they might. And hoping that they do.

Fair enough. Wish away.

Since we're playing the magic genie wishing game, I'm going to wish the Lions trade up to get Watkins, and all they give up is a a 7th rounder :wink: . It's equally as likely as 8 QBs being picked.

As for your new scenario, I'd be shocked if New Orleans, San Diego, or Denver used a first or second rounder on a QB. I could be wrong though.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

April 15th, 2014, 10:45 am
NFL Veteran

Touchdown Jesus wrote:
BillySims wrote:

Denver
Arizona
San Diego
New Orleans

Fair enough. Wish away.

Since we're playing the magic genie wishing game, I'm going to wish the Lions trade up to get Watkins, and all they give up is a a 7th rounder :wink: . It's equally as likely as 8 QBs being picked.

As for your new scenario, I'd be shocked if New Orleans, San Diego, or Denver used a first or second rounder on a QB. I could be wrong though.

I agree, very unlikely NO or Denver use an early pick for a QB. Both teams are trying to win a Superbowl. They will both use every high value resource they can to improve the team to win now.

April 15th, 2014, 11:43 am
Hall of Fame Player

BillySims wrote:

Everyone knows the top 4. Here are the next 4 I want to see gone actually before the Vikings pick in the 2nd round.

Metzenburger
Murray
My prediction for Houston's 2nd round pick: The Penn St QB. Blanking on his name right now.
The Eastern Illinois QB.

I need to rescind my Houston's 2nd round pick prediction. I was mistaken o. Which school Tom Savage went to. Right state. But he went to Pitt. I was thinking with him spring up the charts in the last couple weeks, plus O'Brian coaching him in college...... But, I realize now that O'Brian didn't coach him.

April 15th, 2014, 4:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]