View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 20th, 2018, 12:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Why is everyone so mad about Ebron? 
NFL Team Captain

Post Re: Why is everyone so mad about Ebron?
Pablo wrote:
Det News wrote:
Caldwell: Lions still like Ebron over Donald, Beckham

Phoenix — Eric Ebron struggled through his rookie season in Detroit, especially considering the expectations the team set publicly for the 10th overall pick.

The tight end is still just 21 and has plenty of time to show improvement. But there's no denying his 2014 season looked worse compared to fellow rookies Odell Beckham and Aaron Donald, the No. 12 and 13 picks respectively, who played at a Pro Bowl level immediately.

Lions coach Jim Caldwell, though, said Wednesday he has no regrets about the selection process that led them to Ebron.

"The right guy for us is the guy we took — plain and simple," Caldwell said. "And we've just got to get better. That's the way it is."

In 13 games last season, Ebron had 25 catches for 248 yards and one touchdown. He missed three games due to a hamstring injury, and the coaches said the ailment slowed his development in the middle of the season.

Caldwell described Ebron's offseason improvement as impressive, but declined to say exactly how he's made those strides.

"Don't get me wrong, it's not like he's going to all of a sudden be Charlie Sanders," Caldwell said. "But I think he's going to be much better than he was."

Even though he struggled with drops, it became quickly apparent that Ebron was the best tight end on the team, but the group failed as a whole in 2014. Veteran Brandon Pettigrew had just 10 catches for 70 yards and Joseph Fauria had just six catches for 74 yards and a touchdown, though both dealt with injuries.

Meanwhile, several of the 2014 first-round picks had the instant impact Lions general manager Martin Mayhew said he expected from Ebron. Donald had nine sacks and two forced fumbles. Wide receivers Sammy Watkins, Mike Evans and Beckham were in the top 25 in receiving yards. And several other picks in later rounds -- like receivers Jarvis Landry, John Brown and Martavis Bryant -- had more impact, too.

"Most of the guys that excelled, most guys didn't think they would excel," Caldwell said. "You have the benefit of hindsight. We all have the benefit of hindsight, right? So before it all started, you wouldn't have said that if you took a look at them, other than Sammy Watkins. So let's not play that game."

Caldwell said youth led to many of Ebron's issues. He struggled to grasp the playbook and didn't run precise routes consistently, but Caldwell did see growth from him as a blocker.

Looking back, Caldwell stands by the decision to take Ebron and expects it to pay off long term.

"I think you guys are looking at outliers," Caldwell said. "You're thinking about Odell Beckham, you're thinking about Sammy Watkins. You may be thinking about a couple of other guys that had really good years, but that's not the norm.

"The norm is like some of them that you don't know exist right now that are still on the roster but yet they start to come along and mature as time goes on. (Ebron is) in a normal progression, I think. We'd like to see it come faster. I've got patience, but I don't have a lot of time. You know how that is in this business, but I think he'll come along."

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports ... /70438382/

He has to say that. He's not going to say MM F'ed it up and chose the wrong guy, even though we all believe he did. In my book the only way he gets redemption for that pick is if Ebron has a MONSTER season this year.

March 28th, 2015, 7:33 pm
Pro Bowl Player

I don't think he has to have a monster year, but he needs a Pettigrew (peak) type of season, and the promise of even more to come. Mostly that he can hold onto the football and run precise routes. Then Id expect him to be a star player in year 3 on the offense. I don't think that will happen, but to me that still justify the #10 pick. Anything less would be uncivilized.

March 29th, 2015, 4:45 am
Profile ICQ WWW
NFL Team Captain

DJ-B wrote:
I don't think he has to have a monster year, but he needs a Pettigrew (peak) type of season, and the promise of even more to come. Mostly that he can hold onto the football and run precise routes. Then Id expect him to be a star player in year 3 on the offense. I don't think that will happen, but to me that still justify the #10 pick. Anything less would be uncivilized.

I need to see top 4 TE's type of production to satisfy. My expectations might seem unreasonable, but this was a top ten pick, hence the requirement. At that point of the draft, to take a TE, he should be in the category of a Gronkowski, Graham, Gates. Maybe to be more specific, 60 - 70 catches and 800 - 1000 yards.

March 29th, 2015, 9:40 am
League MVP

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2411 ... te-in-2015

We're stuck with him now so let's just hope he keeps improving. This article makes some good points, and an improvement by him will go a long way to making this offense look better.

March 29th, 2015, 2:47 pm
RIP Killer

liontrax wrote:
DJ-B wrote:

I need to see top 4 TE's type of production to satisfy. My expectations might seem unreasonable, but this was a top ten pick, hence the requirement. At that point of the draft, to take a TE, he should be in the category of a Gronkowski, Graham, Gates. Maybe to be more specific, 60 - 70 catches and 800 - 1000 yards.

Exactly. As I said before, if they drafted him top ten it should be with the intention that he becomes the focal point of the passing game. Graham, Gates, Gonzalez, Gronkowski......all those players were or are the focal points in their respective offenses. Ebron won't achieve that level of success. He just hasn't shown anything that would lend one to believe he's got that much ability AND determination.

March 29th, 2015, 9:14 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

players get better in the 2nd year especially at this position. you want to have an aneurysm go right ahead...

April 4th, 2015, 9:34 am
RIP Killer

The Legend wrote:
players get better in the 2nd year especially at this position. you want to have an aneurysm go right ahead...

And if he gets better, great. But you tell me, do YOU see him being worthy of a top ten selection? Do YOU think he'll produce numbers worthy of his being taken ahead of players who have already performed better and in some cases in areas of greater need? Is he going to ultimately have a bigger impact for this team than those players will have for theirs, or could have had for ours? I don't think so. A top ten pick is supposed to be an impact player if he's playing anything other than QB. Jace Amaro was selected 39 picks later and outperformed Ebron.

I have said before, I don't blame Ebron for where he was selected, or for doing exactly the same as what he did in college. But looking at who was taken after Ebron, and what impact they could have for our team......it still boggles the mind.

April 4th, 2015, 11:35 am
Mr. Irrelevant

Nice show on NFL network today about how good the last class of wideouts was. We got Ebron. I may need to go drink now...

April 25th, 2015, 11:01 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

These are all rookie numbers

Ben Coates: 10rec, 95yds, 1TD
Antonio Gates: 24rec, 389yds, 2TDs
Ozzie Newsome: 38rec, 589yds, 2TDs
Todd Christiansen: didn't catch a pass until his fourth season in which he caught 8 balls for 115 yds and 2 TDs
Dave Casper: 4rec, 26yds, 3TDs
Eric Ebron: 25rec, 248yds, 1TD
Shannon Sharpe: 7rec, 99yds, 1TD
Tony Gonzalez: 33rec, 368yds, 2TDs
Vernon Davis: 20rec, 265yds, 3TDs
Jason Witten: 35rec, 347yds, 1TD

His average sucked, though it matched Witten's and he only scored once but our whole offense was weak. I just think we should pump the brakes on calling him a bust.

May 11th, 2015, 10:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7