View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently January 24th, 2019, 2:02 am



Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Why is everyone so mad about Ebron? 
Author Message
NFL Team Captain

Joined: March 21st, 2005, 2:11 pm
Posts: 1641
Location: Wolverine, Mi.
Post Re: Why is everyone so mad about Ebron?
DJ-B wrote:
Just posted this in the other thread:

DJ-B wrote:
Cannot beat the Aaron Donald Drum enough right now. How would everyone feel about Suh and even Fairley right now if we had this guy on our team: 47 Tackles (37 Solo) - 2 FF - 9 Sacks.

To go beyond that, Lets look at the Other picks available in that area (all diff positions):

11 Tennessee Titans Taylor Lewan OT Michigan Big Ten
12 New York Giants Odell Beckham, Jr. WR LSU SEC
13 St. Louis Rams Aaron Donald† DT Pittsburgh ACC
14 Chicago Bears Kyle Fuller CB Virginia Tech ACC


Yea MM is looking like a major league bonehead on his Ebron selection. All we can do is hope he develops into a player.


December 29th, 2014, 5:24 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 10071
Location: Dallas
Post Re: Why is everyone so mad about Ebron?
The Ebron pick was heavily influenced by Lombardi. I think MM listens to his coaching staff quite a bit regarding the draft.

While Schwartz had many issues as coach, with his scouting background he was a positive influence in the draft process. I think you could clearly see the draft talent issues without him this year.

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


December 29th, 2014, 5:34 pm
Profile WWW
Pro Bowl Player

Joined: October 13th, 2005, 9:03 am
Posts: 2490
Post Re: Why is everyone so mad about Ebron?
The worst part was the Milenesque "I loves me some Mike Williams" run up to the podium to make the Ebron pick.


December 29th, 2014, 5:52 pm
Profile
Veteran NFL Head Coach

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 5114
Location: WSU
Post Re: Why is everyone so mad about Ebron?
Why do people keep talking about Kyle Fuller, I havent seen him perform well in the 4-5 Bears games I ve seen. maybe he ll be good next year but he didnt have a big impact rookie year and odell beckham probably wouldnt have if he was a lion either


December 29th, 2014, 7:50 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2005, 9:34 pm
Posts: 10994
Location: Sycamore, IL
Post Re: Why is everyone so mad about Ebron?
Fuller had a few good games in September and a couple in October. He had a couple minor injuries (shoulder and such), the went downhill from there. He also got owned by guys like Cobb, Bryant, and LaFell but did well against lesser receivers (Colston, Crabtree, any jets scrub WR).

_________________
_____
Draft defense - CB, LB, DT, LB...WR/KR
Image


December 29th, 2014, 10:36 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 10408
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Why is everyone so mad about Ebron?
Fuller was a more positive impact for his team than Ebron. Also, CB is a MUCH harder position to start and excel at as a rookie than TE. The learning curve is way higher at CB. Even Peterson struggled as a rookie CB.

Ebron flat out sucked. And if Lombardi was the major influence in the team drafting that guy, then Lombardi should be dropped into the middle of the Atlantic Ocean wearing chum flavored underwear. If he pushed for the guy, then he certainly didn't try to use him all that much.

_________________
I will not put on blinders when it comes to our QBs performances.


March 1st, 2015, 6:59 pm
Profile
Def. Coordinator – Teryl Austin
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 4216
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: Why is everyone so mad about Ebron?
m2karateman wrote:
Fuller was a more positive impact for his team than Ebron. Also, CB is a MUCH harder position to start and excel at as a rookie than TE. The learning curve is way higher at CB. Even Peterson struggled as a rookie CB.

Ebron flat out sucked. And if Lombardi was the major influence in the team drafting that guy, then Lombardi should be dropped into the middle of the Atlantic Ocean wearing chum flavored underwear. If he pushed for the guy, then he certainly didn't try to use him all that much.


Lombardi should be pushed into the Atlantic wearing chum flavored underwear regardless... :\

_________________
2013 Lionbacker Fantasy Football Champion


March 2nd, 2015, 8:43 pm
Profile
League MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3527
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: Why is everyone so mad about Ebron?
I remember the Lombardi signing being one of, if not my MOST, favorite part of last offseason. What a let down.


March 2nd, 2015, 8:55 pm
Profile
Player of the Year - Offense
User avatar

Joined: August 24th, 2010, 9:54 pm
Posts: 2877
Post Re: Why is everyone so mad about Ebron?
Just looking at Ebron on his own terms, towards the end of the season, I was starting to see what the FO saw in him. He looks like a slightly slower CJ out there. Now if they can just get him playing to his potential and actually design some plays for him, we might be on to something. My concern with Lombardi is that he seems more married to his scheme than to maximizing his players' abilities. He seems like the opposite of Austin.

_________________
"Good teams don't worry about a whole lot of stuff. They travel, they play, they win. And it doesn't matter where they go, what the time block is, all those kinds of things. They never seem to bother teams that play well, and we want to be one of those teams." -Jim Caldwell


March 12th, 2015, 7:31 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 10408
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Why is everyone so mad about Ebron?
thelomasbrowns wrote:
Just looking at Ebron on his own terms, towards the end of the season, I was starting to see what the FO saw in him. He looks like a slightly slower CJ out there. Now if they can just get him playing to his potential and actually design some plays for him, we might be on to something. My concern with Lombardi is that he seems more married to his scheme than to maximizing his players' abilities. He seems like the opposite of Austin.


He wasn't worth the tenth overall pick, and he will never meet that level of play. He simply isn't that good. I don't blame Ebron for being Ebron. I blame Mayhew for making Ebron a Lion, when there were so many better football players available at bigger areas of need. Ebron will never be a premier pass catching TE in the NFL. Mark it down. And when you are the tenth overall pick at ANY position, you should be top three at your position within two to three years. E squared won't be a top 10 TE in the NFL by 2016, let alone top 3.

_________________
I will not put on blinders when it comes to our QBs performances.


March 12th, 2015, 9:32 pm
Profile
Mr. Irrelevant

Joined: February 10th, 2005, 6:52 pm
Posts: 976
Location: Linden, MI
Post Re: Why is everyone so mad about Ebron?
m2karateman wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
Just looking at Ebron on his own terms, towards the end of the season, I was starting to see what the FO saw in him. He looks like a slightly slower CJ out there. Now if they can just get him playing to his potential and actually design some plays for him, we might be on to something. My concern with Lombardi is that he seems more married to his scheme than to maximizing his players' abilities. He seems like the opposite of Austin.


He wasn't worth the tenth overall pick, and he will never meet that level of play. He simply isn't that good. I don't blame Ebron for being Ebron. I blame Mayhew for making Ebron a Lion, when there were so many better football players available at bigger areas of need. Ebron will never be a premier pass catching TE in the NFL. Mark it down. And when you are the tenth overall pick at ANY position, you should be top three at your position within two to three years. E squared won't be a top 10 TE in the NFL by 2016, let alone top 3.


Yes. I think you have nailed this one. I just don't think the guy is really good. If he is, its not going to be obvious for a couple of years. That's a developmental player, who I think you don't blow a top 10 pick on. That's a rd 4 move.

_________________
OK. Schwartz is fired, the fans are happy, now what?


March 22nd, 2015, 6:32 pm
Profile
Veteran NFL Head Coach

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 5114
Location: WSU
Post Re: Why is everyone so mad about Ebron?
jrd66 wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
Just looking at Ebron on his own terms, towards the end of the season, I was starting to see what the FO saw in him. He looks like a slightly slower CJ out there. Now if they can just get him playing to his potential and actually design some plays for him, we might be on to something. My concern with Lombardi is that he seems more married to his scheme than to maximizing his players' abilities. He seems like the opposite of Austin.


He wasn't worth the tenth overall pick, and he will never meet that level of play. He simply isn't that good. I don't blame Ebron for being Ebron. I blame Mayhew for making Ebron a Lion, when there were so many better football players available at bigger areas of need. Ebron will never be a premier pass catching TE in the NFL. Mark it down. And when you are the tenth overall pick at ANY position, you should be top three at your position within two to three years. E squared won't be a top 10 TE in the NFL by 2016, let alone top 3.


Yes. I think you have nailed this one. I just don't think the guy is really good. If he is, its not going to be obvious for a couple of years. That's a developmental player, who I think you don't blow a top 10 pick on. That's a rd 4 move.


ebron would ve been a 1st rounder if the lions passed on him...they didnt draft someone with a 4th rd grade


March 22nd, 2015, 10:15 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 10408
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Why is everyone so mad about Ebron?
The Legend wrote:
jrd66 wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
Just looking at Ebron on his own terms, towards the end of the season, I was starting to see what the FO saw in him. He looks like a slightly slower CJ out there. Now if they can just get him playing to his potential and actually design some plays for him, we might be on to something. My concern with Lombardi is that he seems more married to his scheme than to maximizing his players' abilities. He seems like the opposite of Austin.


He wasn't worth the tenth overall pick, and he will never meet that level of play. He simply isn't that good. I don't blame Ebron for being Ebron. I blame Mayhew for making Ebron a Lion, when there were so many better football players available at bigger areas of need. Ebron will never be a premier pass catching TE in the NFL. Mark it down. And when you are the tenth overall pick at ANY position, you should be top three at your position within two to three years. E squared won't be a top 10 TE in the NFL by 2016, let alone top 3.


Yes. I think you have nailed this one. I just don't think the guy is really good. If he is, its not going to be obvious for a couple of years. That's a developmental player, who I think you don't blow a top 10 pick on. That's a rd 4 move.


ebron would ve been a 1st rounder if the lions passed on him...they didnt draft someone with a 4th rd grade


Just because some other team would have eventually selected him doesn't make him a good player. And what jrd66 was saying is that developmental players should be selected in later rounds, like round 4. The players selected in the first three rounds should typically be counted on to make an immediate impact.

I'm sorry, but Ebron never was and never will be a top ten selection talent in the NFL. He's not another Jimmy Graham, or Rob Gronkowski, or anything close.
Unless Ebron was going to be the focal point of this offense, his selection was a complete mindshit.

_________________
I will not put on blinders when it comes to our QBs performances.


March 24th, 2015, 8:49 pm
Profile
Pro Bowl Player
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2007, 5:51 pm
Posts: 2578
Post Re: Why is everyone so mad about Ebron?
m2karateman wrote:

I'm sorry, but Ebron never was and never will be a top ten selection talent in the NFL. He's not another Jimmy Graham, or Rob Gronkowski, or anything close.
Unless Ebron was going to be the focal point of this offense, his selection was a complete mindshit.


Exactly. Look at the last decade, at any TEs or WRs drafted in the top 15, and see what the expectations their team had for them, and how much then ended up producing. It only makes Ebron even more of a head-scratcher.


March 25th, 2015, 6:28 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 10071
Location: Dallas
Post Re: Why is everyone so mad about Ebron?
Det News wrote:
Caldwell: Lions still like Ebron over Donald, Beckham

Phoenix — Eric Ebron struggled through his rookie season in Detroit, especially considering the expectations the team set publicly for the 10th overall pick.

The tight end is still just 21 and has plenty of time to show improvement. But there's no denying his 2014 season looked worse compared to fellow rookies Odell Beckham and Aaron Donald, the No. 12 and 13 picks respectively, who played at a Pro Bowl level immediately.

Lions coach Jim Caldwell, though, said Wednesday he has no regrets about the selection process that led them to Ebron.

"The right guy for us is the guy we took — plain and simple," Caldwell said. "And we've just got to get better. That's the way it is."

In 13 games last season, Ebron had 25 catches for 248 yards and one touchdown. He missed three games due to a hamstring injury, and the coaches said the ailment slowed his development in the middle of the season.

Caldwell described Ebron's offseason improvement as impressive, but declined to say exactly how he's made those strides.

"Don't get me wrong, it's not like he's going to all of a sudden be Charlie Sanders," Caldwell said. "But I think he's going to be much better than he was."

Even though he struggled with drops, it became quickly apparent that Ebron was the best tight end on the team, but the group failed as a whole in 2014. Veteran Brandon Pettigrew had just 10 catches for 70 yards and Joseph Fauria had just six catches for 74 yards and a touchdown, though both dealt with injuries.

Meanwhile, several of the 2014 first-round picks had the instant impact Lions general manager Martin Mayhew said he expected from Ebron. Donald had nine sacks and two forced fumbles. Wide receivers Sammy Watkins, Mike Evans and Beckham were in the top 25 in receiving yards. And several other picks in later rounds -- like receivers Jarvis Landry, John Brown and Martavis Bryant -- had more impact, too.

"Most of the guys that excelled, most guys didn't think they would excel," Caldwell said. "You have the benefit of hindsight. We all have the benefit of hindsight, right? So before it all started, you wouldn't have said that if you took a look at them, other than Sammy Watkins. So let's not play that game."

Caldwell said youth led to many of Ebron's issues. He struggled to grasp the playbook and didn't run precise routes consistently, but Caldwell did see growth from him as a blocker.

Looking back, Caldwell stands by the decision to take Ebron and expects it to pay off long term.

"I think you guys are looking at outliers," Caldwell said. "You're thinking about Odell Beckham, you're thinking about Sammy Watkins. You may be thinking about a couple of other guys that had really good years, but that's not the norm.

"The norm is like some of them that you don't know exist right now that are still on the roster but yet they start to come along and mature as time goes on. (Ebron is) in a normal progression, I think. We'd like to see it come faster. I've got patience, but I don't have a lot of time. You know how that is in this business, but I think he'll come along."


http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports ... /70438382/

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


March 28th, 2015, 11:46 am
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.