View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 19th, 2014, 5:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 2nd Round - Lions take Kyle Van Noy, LB BYU 
RIP Killer

Post 2nd Round - Lions take Kyle Van Noy, LB BYU
traded up to take BYU LB, like the player/and position, what's the price?

6'3", 243-lb, played with Ziggy

Overview
Engaged. Raised by adoptive parents. Linebacker-receiver who won a football state championship, ran track and played basketball and baseball as a Nevada prep. Days before 2009 National Signing Day, was arrested for DUI, jeopardizing his scholarship to BYU. When given the opportunity to be released of his commitment and sign elsewhere, he reaffirmed his commitment to BYU and accepted the terms of delayed enrollment, including a full year abiding by the school's honor code and endorsement from an ecclesiastical leader. Also wrote a letter to head coach Bronco Mendenhall, expressing remorse and promising to earn back his trust. A month later, he was reportedly caught with alcohol and cited for eluding police. Charges were eventually dropped, but Van Noy flew to Provo in order to confess to Mendenhall in person, at which time he admitted needing help to straighten out his life. Mendenhall vouched for Van Noy, and the school honored his scholarship the following year. Before the 2010 season, he got sick and lost 30 pounds. Played all 13 games in the fall, starting two at strong outside linebacker in BYU's 3-4 scheme, and was credited with 35 tackles, 7.5 for loss and two sacks with two pass breakups and two forced fumbles. Moved to the weak side permanently in 2011, when he started 8 of 13 games and produced 68 tackles, 15 tackles for loss and seven sacks with three pass breakups, three interceptions, three forced fumbles and a blocked kick. Sat out 2012 spring practice while recovering from surgery to repair a torn right labrum. Started all 26 games the next two seasons. Totaled 53 tackles, 22 tackles for loss and 13 sacks with five pass breakups, two interceptions (one touchdown), six forced fumbles and two blocked kicks in 2012. In 2013, he had 70 tackles, 17.5 tackles for loss and four sacks with seven pass breakups, two interceptions and a safety in 2013.

Strengths
Has a muscular, well-proportioned build. Quick get-off. Knifes gaps. Good pass-rush ability -- can push the pocket or pressure the edge. Keeps working to the quarterback and has deceptive closing speed. Eyes the quarterback and tries to get his hands in the passing lane. Athletic with good movement skills in all directions -- equipped to keep pace with backs and tight ends in coverage. Is rangy and can open up his stride and run vertical. Glides on the field. Scheme versatile. Football smart.

Weaknesses
Has short arms. Lacks elite length and flexibility to bend and flatten. Average instincts and diagnose. Still developing eye discipline. Needs to cultivate a more sophisticated arsenal of pass-rush moves. Leaves some production on the field. Leaves his feet to tackle and slips off the ball carrier. Hit-or-miss run defender. Could stand to improve his upper-body strength and stack-and-shed ability. Average motor -- could pursue with more urgency.

Draft Projection
Rounds 3-4

Bottom Line
Good-sized, athletic, smooth-moving stand-up player who projects best as a 3-4 right outside linebacker, but could also warrant consideration from 4-3 teams as a Will or Sam. Is not without flaws, but has unique ability to play up the field, laterally or in reverse.

May 9th, 2014, 7:46 pm
Profile WWW
Rookie Player of the Year

Post Re: Second Round - Lions take Van Noy
Nice! And the price was quite reasonable given we had three fourth rounders:

May 9th, 2014, 7:51 pm
Team MVP

Great pick!

La confora sucks. Hes always ruining picks.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

May 9th, 2014, 7:53 pm
RIP Killer

me happy :D

Thank you Mayhew!

May 9th, 2014, 7:56 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Best LB In the draft IMO

May 9th, 2014, 7:57 pm
All State

I like the pick. We still have two fourths left. Really good pick . I wasn't thrilled with Ebron, cause it's like someone pointed out; we're trying to draft to a scheme, similar to marinelli.

May 9th, 2014, 8:06 pm
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

lions filled another big need with this one. they havent had a LB that can passrush in years and this gives opposing protection schemes a lil something extra to think about. as for the trade, i feel like they didnt give up a whole lot but we ll see who seattle takes in our spots...

May 9th, 2014, 8:13 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

like this pick, should start from day one

May 9th, 2014, 8:21 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

they say you should get 3 starters from draft. two down.

May 9th, 2014, 8:22 pm
RIP Killer

Lions have gone with two scheme selections in the first two rounds, coaches seem to be having a lot of influence on Mayhew so far.

Have to admit, this pick makes me feel a lot better about our 1st pick. Would like to see one more defensive starter out of 3rd round now.

May 9th, 2014, 8:24 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

As much as I hated yesterday's pick, I love this one. Any Chance SJ-B, CB, Nebraska makes it to us in the 3rd?

May 9th, 2014, 8:27 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

still alot of corners left. if they go that way.

May 9th, 2014, 8:31 pm

He should start from day one but that's becaue he's replacing Palmer, I'm not as wowed as most. I really hope I'm wrong but the Lions track record of drafting LBs isn't exactly stellar. When I watch him he is almost exclusively trying to beat his man around the edge and unless he can increase his moves (not sure about that either, he looks stiff) O-lineman are just going to run him past the play. I'll take him over Palmer but just not sure he's a significant improvement with limited athleticism, thin from the waist down, and like most Lion LBs lately a marginal tackler.

May 9th, 2014, 8:38 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

BillySims wrote:
As much as I hated yesterday's pick, I love this one. Any Chance SJ-B, CB, Nebraska makes it to us in the 3rd?

I was thinking the same thing. Doubt it though. Trade up again for him?
NVM, the Saints once again collect another stud

Last edited by Killwill25 on May 9th, 2014, 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 9th, 2014, 8:51 pm

Reminds me of the Warford pick last year. Good value. No obvious red flags. Day one starter. I'm sold.

May 9th, 2014, 9:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next