View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 26th, 2014, 3:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Question for AllensLions 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Question for AllensLions
I see that you are browsing the forums right now.

The media "Experts" had the kicker out of Rice as the top rated kicker. Who screwed up? The Marxian or the Lions?

May 12th, 2014, 2:09 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: Question for AllensLions
BillySims wrote:

The media "Experts" had the kicker out of Rice as the top rated kicker. Who screwed up? The Marxian or the Lions?

First of all, check your experts Billy!

Freese is an accurate kicker with a leg. Was 20 for 20 last year included a few from 50+ (was 18-20 the year before)... Plus, how will a kicker out of Rice (Houston) do in Chicago and Green Bay with the snow blowing? A guy from Boston College might be a little more used to the cold/wind, especially with a name like Freese - how you gonna ice him?

He also can punt if needed. My concern is his history of knee injuries but I'm assuming the Lions medical staff cleared him.

The guy your talking about has great power but doesn't get the ball up high enough over the LOS. He missed 8 XPs in college, not a good sign. He is also not the most accurate guy in the world, was 13-20 in 2013.

BTW - who screwed up was the Redskins who picked right before the Lions and took the kicker from Arkansas.

May 12th, 2014, 3:14 pm
Profile WWW
Rookie Player of the Year

Pablo wrote:
BillySims wrote:

Freese is an accurate kicker with a leg. Was 20 for 20 last year included a few from 50+ (was 18-20 the year before)... Plus, how will a kicker out of Rice (Houston) do in Chicago and Green Bay with the snow blowing? A guy from Boston College might be a little more used to the cold/wind, especially with a name like Freese - how you gonna ice him?

He also can punt if needed. My concern is his history of knee injuries but I'm assuming the Lions medical staff cleared him.

The guy your talking about has great power but doesn't get the ball up high enough over the LOS. He missed 8 XPs in college, not a good sign. He is also not the most accurate guy in the world, was 13-20 in 2013.

BTW - who screwed up was the Redskins who picked right before the Lions and took the kicker from Arkansas.

We also brought Freese in for a pre-draft workout, just like Martin last year.

May 12th, 2014, 3:48 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Pablo wrote:
BillySims wrote:

I never really bothered looking into the kickers because I thought we would go with the 2 kickers we had in camp to battle it out. So, that's why I asked. Kickers weren't the only players the media experts got wrong this year. Jackson Jeffcoat, DE, Texas something was a media 2nd rounder ---- not drafted. Anthony Johnson, DT, LSU was a media 3rd rounder ---- not drafted. Antonio Richardson, OT, Tennessee, a media 3rd rounder ---- not drafted.

May 12th, 2014, 6:36 pm
RIP Killer

BillySims wrote:
Pablo wrote:
BillySims wrote:

I never really bothered looking into the kickers because I thought we would go with the 2 kickers we had in camp to battle it out. So, that's why I asked. Kickers weren't the only players the media experts got wrong this year. Jackson Jeffcoat, DE, Texas something was a media 2nd rounder ---- not drafted. Anthony Johnson, DT, LSU was a media 3rd rounder ---- not drafted. Antonio Richardson, OT, Tennessee, a media 3rd rounder ---- not drafted.

That always happens. Why? Because teams are privy to information the media is not. It could be character issues, it could be medical issues, it could be information gained from the college coaching staff. It happens year in, year out. Sometimes the media is right (Vontez Burfict, LeGarrette Blount), but mostly they are wrong.

May 13th, 2014, 9:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]