View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently May 25th, 2018, 12:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 We picked a lousy year. 
Rookie Player of the Year

Post Re: We picked a lousy year.
Blueskies wrote:
Well I think Suh wants to build some sort of entertainment/marketing empire, so he'll put a premium on playing in a big market. Unfortunately, that hurts the Lions rather than help them.

It's been fairly obvious that Suh was itching to leave from day one -- remember how he signed a slightly shorter contract for slightly less money? What do you think was the motivation behind that?

What does Suh do in the media that would make you say that? The guy did one TV show but stays relatively quiet. He doesn't even have a good rep in the media to begin with and he has never made much of an effort to improve it. The guy is just being smart and maximizing his new contract potential by going into free agency. He will sign with the best team to offer him the most money, so as long as a deep playoff team doesn't offer him the same money as the Lions there is a good chance he stays in Detroit if they keep winning.

October 21st, 2014, 1:12 pm
QB Coach - Brian Callahan

This report:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11605 ... ons-season

Signing with Jay Z's Roc Nation.

Commercials for Subway, Chrysler.

Not saying he wants to be a rock star or something, but it's clear he wants to that kind of cache that just got Tom Brady a deal with with UGGs, for example.

October 21st, 2014, 2:38 pm
Pro Bowl Player

Suh's gone and as much as I hate to see talent leave it will be better for the Lions to move on instead of investing at minimum $14 million per season. How are the Texans doing even when Watt has those Madden type performances? Suh is amazing but DT isn't a position where a team should be tying up that kind of money. I can't believe I'm saying because of never been a fan of Fairley or them selecting him over pass rushers like Quinn and Kerrigan. The Lions would be better off signing him for about $8 million per year and spending the Suh money to improve other positions. I think what the fans need to fear more than Suh and Jay-Z is Suh's sister and here desires. I've read and seen enough about how she handles him that she is going to try to get the final say on where he goes.

October 21st, 2014, 9:10 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

sweetd20 wrote:
Suh's gone and as much as I hate to see talent leave it will be better for the Lions to move on instead of investing at minimum $14 million per season. How are the Texans doing even when Watt has those Madden type performances? Suh is amazing but DT isn't a position where a team should be tying up that kind of money. I can't believe I'm saying because of never been a fan of Fairley or them selecting him over pass rushers like Quinn and Kerrigan. The Lions would be better off signing him for about $8 million per year and spending the Suh money to improve other positions. I think what the fans need to fear more than Suh and Jay-Z is Suh's sister and here desires. I've read and seen enough about how she handles him that she is going to try to get the final say on where he goes.

well if the lions continue winning this year with the defense of all things leading the way, then suh has to be considered to have a big role in that. i would think the lions would consider the formula (of building around a star player) as being plausible and make every effort to get him a contract he ll agree to.

as for suh s sister, i think she plays a big role in managing his day to day business and keeps him out of trouble. suh is smart but has a tendency to create and or escalate conflicts and her handling his business keeps him away from most of that type of stuff. i think he s been lucky that some of the civil disputes, traffic issues he s had have all been managed and i believe the sister plays a huge role in that.

October 21st, 2014, 11:56 pm
RIP Killer

sweetd20 wrote:

It's tough to say just what kind of impact Suh has on the defense until he's gone. But I agree that the money it will take to sign him is probably going to be too much to make good fiscal sense. I'd prefer keeping Fairley at about half the price. But will Nick be as disruptive without Suh next to him? I haven't really kept close attention to how well Fairley does in those few instances when Suh comes out of the game. Since Ndamukong plays about 80% of the snaps, it isn't very often that Fairley in in and Suh is out.

In the end, I think the handling of Fairley and not signing him to the option was the correct thing to do. He has developed into a more consistent player, and seems to be having an easier time shedding blockers now. Tampa Bay giving Gerald McCoy that mega-contract doesn't help the Lions situation with either of those guys.

It will be interesting to see what transpires.

November 4th, 2014, 9:18 am
Veteran NFL Head Coach

can the lions still use that team option on fairley at the end of the season? or is it not possible to use it anymore since the public statement?

November 4th, 2014, 10:52 pm
Martha Firestone Ford

The Legend wrote:
can the lions still use that team option on fairley at the end of the season? or is it not possible to use it anymore since the public statement?

Nope. When they declined to exorcise it in the off season, it was no longer an option.

November 4th, 2014, 11:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2