View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 17th, 2018, 11:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 An early look at the NFL Draft 
RIP Killer

Post Re: An early look at the NFL Draft
njroar wrote:
Actually with Tully back and Whitehead stepping up, and Suh and Fairley being FA's, it might be the time Austin looks at 3-4. There's so many options with how our front 7 depth is lined up. With the way the cap is heading up, I think resigning one or both are a possibility though. Why change a good thing. The rookie salary cap makes every position a possibility now though, so I think it will depend on what shakes up in FA.

Again with the 3-4 talk. We have a defense that is finally doing really, really well and you want to kick the sleeping dog?

Ansah and Taylor aren't big enough to move to a 34 DE, and they aren't familiar enough with LB play to move to the outside spot. KVN could possibly play an OLB position with Ansah being the rush OLB. But we'd have to really, really stock up on DTs in the draft and FA to fill the three down linemen spots, and this wouldn't be the ideal time.

Austin is doing well running this defensive scheme. I would hope they continue the scheme and alignment he's been successful with. As for the Tulloch/Whitehead thing, I agree that Tulloch should be released for cost savings. Whitehead has more athleticism, is bigger and is much better in coverage. Tulloch's only advantage was that he did better at rushing the passer from the MLB spot.

December 11th, 2014, 8:36 pm
League MVP

I still think they should go WR in round 1, but at the same time, depending who is on the board and all....Im thinking BPA might be the best approach. Unless they move up, which I know Mayhew doesnt have the balls to do (IN ROUND 1).

December 11th, 2014, 8:42 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

m2karateman wrote:
njroar wrote:
Actually with Tully back and Whitehead stepping up, and Suh and Fairley being FA's, it might be the time Austin looks at 3-4. There's so many options with how our front 7 depth is lined up. With the way the cap is heading up, I think resigning one or both are a possibility though. Why change a good thing. The rookie salary cap makes every position a possibility now though, so I think it will depend on what shakes up in FA.

Again with the 3-4 talk. We have a defense that is finally doing really, really well and you want to kick the sleeping dog?

Ansah and Taylor aren't big enough to move to a 34 DE, and they aren't familiar enough with LB play to move to the outside spot. KVN could possibly play an OLB position with Ansah being the rush OLB. But we'd have to really, really stock up on DTs in the draft and FA to fill the three down linemen spots, and this wouldn't be the ideal time.

Austin is doing well running this defensive scheme. I would hope they continue the scheme and alignment he's been successful with. As for the Tulloch/Whitehead thing, I agree that Tulloch should be released for cost savings. Whitehead has more athleticism, is bigger and is much better in coverage. Tulloch's only advantage was that he did better at rushing the passer from the MLB spot.

i disagree that whitehead is more athletic or better in coverage. whitehead s getting replaced by bynes on most of the passing downs as it is. tulloch is faster and more agile than whitehead. i like how whitehead has played overall and he s worthy of starting. im not opposed to letting tulloch walk if the savings can be used elsewhere but whitehead isnt in the same ballpark as tulloch as a player.

December 11th, 2014, 8:48 pm
Team MVP

m2karateman wrote:
njroar wrote:

I'm not saying they should, so I emphasized where I said that. But Austin comes from a 3-4 system, so it might be the direction they choose to go. I agree that this system is working and they shouldn't change. But IF we lose Fairley, Suh and Mosley next season, they might figure it'd be time to make a change.

Personally, with the new cap going up, I think they'll sign Suh of the big paycheck he wants and it'll be worth it. The stat sheet if you're looking at sacks is low, but if you start adding in hurries and pressures he's doing it better than anyone. When Fairley was healthy, they were #1 and #2. This defense works because of the front 7 we have out there now. If we replace 3, we don't know what we'll have next year. The secondary only does well when the front 4 are putting pressure on, so they can afford to go with lesser at the back while we have Quin and Indegbo back there, so we're going to see something different next year once FA starts.

December 12th, 2014, 3:58 am
League MVP

njroar wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
njroar wrote:

I'm not saying they should, so I emphasized where I said that. But Austin comes from a 3-4 system, so it might be the direction they choose to go. I agree that this system is working and they shouldn't change. But IF we lose Fairley, Suh and Mosley next season, they might figure it'd be time to make a change.

Personally, with the new cap going up, I think they'll sign Suh of the big paycheck he wants and it'll be worth it. The stat sheet if you're looking at sacks is low, but if you start adding in hurries and pressures he's doing it better than anyone. When Fairley was healthy, they were #1 and #2. This defense works because of the front 7 we have out there now. If we replace 3, we don't know what we'll have next year. The secondary only does well when the front 4 are putting pressure on, so they can afford to go with lesser at the back while we have Quin and Indegbo back there, so we're going to see something different next year once FA starts.

Glad to see Aaron Donald doing good in St. Louis ](*,)

December 12th, 2014, 6:07 am
NFL Team Captain

The Legend wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
njroar wrote:

i disagree that whitehead is more athletic or better in coverage. whitehead s getting replaced by bynes on most of the passing downs as it is. tulloch is faster and more agile than whitehead. i like how whitehead has played overall and he s worthy of starting. im not opposed to letting tulloch walk if the savings can be used elsewhere but whitehead isnt in the same ballpark as tulloch as a player.

Agree with m2k on this. Our roster at DE consists of Ziggy, Jones, Taylor, George Johnson, and Larry Webster. Webster being drafted last year in the 4th round. This assembly of DE's is geared towards playing the 4-3. You don't just scrap what we've been building because we may have to replace a couple of DT's. Austin's specialty isn't running a 3-4, that's just what they were running when he was with the Ravens, he was the secondary coach. Austin's specialty is supposed to be developing and teaching defensive backs, and I have to admit that our secondary does look better this year.
I also believe the Whitehead/Bynes combo is an improvement over Tulloch. I thought Tully was a liability in pass coverage, but better against the run. Whitehead is still learning the position, and Bynes has been playing MLB for a long time (college).
Addressing the DT spot in the upcoming draft will become a necessity for us if we allow Suh and Fairley to walk. Sadly, I have to admit I think Suh intends to leave. If this becomes reality, Mayhew can't go with his BPA bullchit, he'll be forced to address this glaring hole in the defense.

December 12th, 2014, 8:41 am
Rookie Player of the Year

kdsberman wrote:
njroar wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
njroar wrote:

Glad to see Aaron Donald doing good in St. Louis ](*,)

I still don't like Donald for the Lions, he's to small and the Lions haven't played with a big NT for quite a while now. I like the way the Lions have stuck to using more hybrid style DTs that are big while still being agile and quick enough to generate pressure. I think Donald may have been able to play DE then moved in to DT on passing downs like they are doing with Jones since Fairley got injured, but I don't like Donald as an every down DT. Fairley actually can do everything Donald can and he does it at 20lbs(sometimes more) heavier. If the Lions had taken him everyone would still be talking about him like Ebron because he probably wouldn't have seen much time on the field until Fairley got hurt and IMO they still would be using Mosley in rushing situations over Donald.

December 12th, 2014, 10:16 am
Veteran NFL Head Coach

Quote:
I also believe the Whitehead/Bynes combo is an improvement over Tulloch. I thought Tully was a liability in pass coverage, but better against the run. Whitehead is still learning the position, and Bynes has been playing MLB for a long time (college).

lol, thats not agreeing with m2k. m2k is saying whitehead alone is better than tulloch. dont think so and bynes leaves a lot to be desired but he s better than whitehead in coverage. no way this combo is better than tulloch but they are getting the job done right now with some fantastic play up front keeping them pretty clean. lose suh, fairley and mosley and swap in a rookie and someone elses discarded starter with fluellen and reid mixing in and we ll see what they re really made of. if suh is lost, better figure out a way to bring back tulloch.

December 12th, 2014, 12:14 pm
NFL Team Captain

The Legend wrote:
Quote:

lol, thats not agreeing with m2k. m2k is saying whitehead alone is better than tulloch. dont think so and bynes leaves a lot to be desired but he s better than whitehead in coverage. no way this combo is better than tulloch but they are getting the job done right now with some fantastic play up front keeping them pretty clean. lose suh, fairley and mosley and swap in a rookie and someone elses discarded starter with fluellen and reid mixing in and we ll see what they re really made of. if suh is lost, better figure out a way to bring back tulloch.

" agreeing with m2k " on the defensive alignment! Or did you miss that part?

" whitehead alone is better than tulloch. dont think so " Your opinion, free country and all.

December 12th, 2014, 12:42 pm
RIP Killer

njroar wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
njroar wrote:

I highly doubt the Lions move to a 3-4 for another big reason (I understand you aren't pushing for it, or a fan of it). When the Lions were searching for a head coach, the one big reason they elected not to pursue Ken Whisenhunt really hard is because he wanted to switch to a 3-4 defense, and the front office wasn't accepting that. Smart move on their part. For the Lions to move to a 3-4, I think their defense will have to suck for a couple years in a row and then have a coaching change happen about that time.

December 12th, 2014, 6:49 pm
League MVP

liontrax wrote:
The Legend wrote:
Quote:

" agreeing with m2k " on the defensive alignment! Or did you miss that part?

" whitehead alone is better than tulloch. dont think so " Your opinion, free country and all.

Wow! Some of you guys on this board are too darn sensitive lol. He did say "lol" by the way.

December 12th, 2014, 8:57 pm
#1 Overall Pick

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
Happy we're not already thinking about the draft as we usually are. We've got about $123M committed already for next year and that's without a starting LG or C (depending on which spot Swanson takes), 2 DTs and CB. I expect the cap to jump again hopefully into the mid 140s. A few other role players will need to be re-signed or replaced as well. Where do you want to see us go in the draft? With as late as we pick an olineman might be good. Too bad there's a lack of top end talent at DT and CB. Be nice to have another draft like 2013.

The Lions are likely to save a couple bucks by cutting Bush in the off-season. There will be some decent DTs and CBs later in the first round, in all likelihood. There is also going to be some good depth at WR if some of the top juniors declare. I still would like the Lions to consider getting a very good third receiver, but that's not necessarily a priority. We still don't know how good TJ Jones is.

And for the record, CJ Mosely is a free agent at years end, so that will be three DTs who will be free agents.

I was only posting about starting positions we have to fill. If we get into depth/rotational there's another slew of players we'll have to replace or resign.

http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/detroit-lions/ Here's a full list. 21 guys not counting the guys they list that aren't still on our roster. Just about all of them have started at some point this season or played a major role for us. We'll be in good shape to get back the guys we want unless we break the bank for Suh (which I guess I'd be ok with). Should have around $20M to play with. And knowing Lewand, we'll probably do a restructure on Calvin and save about $9M if we need to. Anyway back to the draft, my chief concern is oline, then DT then secondary.

Fun link, thanks

Just looking at what's committed to 2015 - we have $119m committed, but that includes $3.5m base salary for Suh that we know he will not take up. So really it's $115.5m committed.

Cutting Bush and Broyles would save another $4m to get us to $111.5m.

Cutting Tulloch would save $3.2m to get us to around $108m committed. But I'm going to assume we keep him.

So working from $111.5m. Looking at the free agent list, I think $10m would get us all of the non-Suh free agents we would want to keep (so keep our d-line intact without Suh). Takes us to $121.5m.

Add another $5m for rookies - $126.5m.

I think that potentially gives us around $15m to $20m to play with (depending on how the cap changes) to sign Suh and an average FA or two, or not sign Suh and pick up one or two other impact free agents.

I genuinely think we could be in position to sign Suh and one or two other decent FA pickups. I could see us returning much the same team next season as this, with maybe one or two improvements via the draft/FA.

December 18th, 2014, 6:28 am
Team MVP

Going by the projected cap for 2015 ($140million) we have $16 million free at the moment. The problem with the projected, like last year is basically a league number of $10 million flat increase and with how revenue jumped, mainly due to thursday night games on CBS, expect a lot more.

You want to talk about roster issues... the Saints, even with the $140m figure are set to be $20m over the cap next season. 49ers and Cardinals are 9 and 10 million over.

December 18th, 2014, 7:02 am
RIP Killer

njroar wrote:
Going by the projected cap for 2015 ($140million) we have $16 million free at the moment. The problem with the projected, like last year is basically a league number of $10 million flat increase and with how revenue jumped, mainly due to thursday night games on CBS, expect a lot more.

You want to talk about roster issues... the Saints, even with the $140m figure are set to be $20m over the cap next season. 49ers and Cardinals are 9 and 10 million over.

Well, that $16M free includes those players who won't be under contract next season. So that's no Suh, no Fairley, no CJ Mosely, no Dom Raiola and I believe Jason Jones is set to be a FA as well. Realistically the Lions should cut Bush and possibly Tulloch, or at least tear up their contracts and sign them to new ones at a lower price. That's a few roster spots to fill with that money.

December 18th, 2014, 7:06 am
#1 Overall Pick

Where do you get $16m free?

With a $140m cap, we would have $24.5m free I think on Sportrac numbers of $119m committed (but including $3.5m of salary that Suh will not get).

December 18th, 2014, 8:19 am
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next