View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 23rd, 2018, 8:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 An early look at the NFL Draft 
Team MVP

Post Re: An early look at the NFL Draft
UK Lion wrote:
Where do you get $16m free?

With a $140m cap, we would have $24.5m free I think on Sportrac numbers of $119m committed (but including $3.5m of salary that Suh will not get).

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/detroit-lions - you can click each year to see the breakdowns by years.
http://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space - for league based breakdown.

Suh's cap number is $13 million with 9 million of that due to prorated bonuses. 3.5 million is guaranteed, so he will get it, even if he leaves as a free agent.

And there's $4million of dead money from other contracts we're still obligated to.

December 18th, 2014, 12:41 pm
League MVP

Suh will count $9.8M against the cap next year if he is not on the team. He will not exercise his option obviously and the dead money is what you have to look at.

December 18th, 2014, 9:33 pm
RIP Killer

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
Suh will count $9.8M against the cap next year if he is not on the team. He will not exercise his option obviously and the dead money is what you have to look at.

You wanna explain this one to me? If HE doesn't exercise HIS option, how does it cost the LIONS money?

December 18th, 2014, 10:43 pm
League MVP

m2karateman wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:

You wanna explain this one to me? If HE doesn't exercise HIS option, how does it cost the LIONS money?

We restructured his contract, in 2012 and 2013, and used 2015 to push some of that money forward. It was allowed even though this was an option year. Additionally, some of his initial bonus is prorated into year 2015 so it counts against the cap. His base salary is not guaranteed. So as of now he counts about 13M, but when the contract voids the $3.5M of base salary comes off so we're on the hook for 2 kinds of bonuses basically, restructure option/signing bonus.

Edited to add - the restructures were reductions to his base salary in years 2012 and 2013 that were then spread over the remaining years of his contract, so in 2012 we took almost 10M off the cap, then spread it over 2012-2015, adding $2,427,500 each year. In 2013 we took off $11.52M and spread it over 2013-2015, so $3,840,000 per year so 2015 has $6,267,500 from those restructures + his bonus of $3,470,000 for a total of $9,737,500.

December 18th, 2014, 10:52 pm
League MVP

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:

We restructured his contract, in 2012 and 2013, and used 2015 to push some of that money forward. It was allowed even though this was an option year. Additionally, some of his initial bonus is prorated into year 2015 so it counts against the cap. His base salary is not guaranteed. So as of now he counts about 13M, but when the contract voids the $3.5M of base salary comes off so we're on the hook for 2 kinds of bonuses basically, restructure option/signing bonus.

Edited to add - the restructures were reductions to his base salary in years 2012 and 2013 that were then spread over the remaining years of his contract, so in 2012 we took almost 10M off the cap, then spread it over 2012-2015, adding $2,427,500 each year. In 2013 we took off $11.52M and spread it over 2013-2015, so $3,840,000 per year so 2015 has $6,267,500 from those restructures + his bonus of $3,470,000 for a total of $9,737,500.

You just gave me a headache. lol

December 19th, 2014, 9:39 am
Pro Bowl Player

I believe people referred to it as "Kicking the Can down the road" which is exactly what it was.

December 19th, 2014, 12:06 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Veteran NFL Head Coach

DJ-B wrote:
I believe people referred to it as "Kicking the Can down the road" which is exactly what it was.

nothing wrong with that strategy since the salary cap has always increased with time, you are deferring money to a later time when it will be a smaller % of the salary cap. moves like this free up money so you can add glover quinn, golden tate, etc

December 19th, 2014, 12:50 pm
Pro Bowl Player

Not complaining about it... just pointing out that its not Suh"s Fault or Overpaying Him that caused us to owe 10 million even if hes not on the roster. Just intentional pushing of owed monies.

December 19th, 2014, 1:27 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Martha Firestone Ford

I still say we can sign him to a contract paying him as the highest paid defensive player in the league and get cap savings at the same time. We are paying him something like $22Million this year. We can pay him $17Million per year. And we save $5Million from what we are paying him this year. Plus the cap is going up a where from 5-10Million depending on what source you want to cite. So, I am still an advocate for putting the Transition Tag on him so we have the guaranteed right to match any offer.

December 19th, 2014, 3:25 pm
Team MVP

Cap is going up a minimum of 10, possibly 20. Only the league is saying 8-10 but they underestimated last season too. They always announce low to start the bargaining with NFLPA. There's no way after the renewal of DirecTV and CBS thursday nights that it only goes up less than 10. The revenue split guarantees a bigger raise.

December 19th, 2014, 3:37 pm
Pro Bowl Player

With Suh opting out I don't think there is any sort of tag they can put on him. As far as them re-signing him they can definitely do so and stay under the cap, but is paying him the best thing or would they be better off signing some combination of a Jared Ordick, Cecil Shorts, James Carpenter, or Mike Iupati? If they do re-sign him he's probably going to be in the 7 year $119 million range which would be okay if the first year his cap hit is in the $10-13 million dollar range like it is currently and they can get at least $40 million of the deal on the back end in money isn't likely to ever see. With this thread being about the draft however I think whether it's Suh they sign or either Fairley or a guy like Ordick I think Austin is going to want a big DT on the line to pair with their choice, a guy like Danny Shelton.

December 20th, 2014, 7:14 am
League MVP

sweetd20 wrote:
With Suh opting out I don't think there is any sort of tag they can put on him. As far as them re-signing him they can definitely do so and stay under the cap, but is paying him the best thing or would they be better off signing some combination of a Jared Ordick, Cecil Shorts, James Carpenter, or Mike Iupati? If they do re-sign him he's probably going to be in the 7 year $119 million range which would be okay if the first year his cap hit is in the $10-13 million dollar range like it is currently and they can get at least $40 million of the deal on the back end in money isn't likely to ever see. With this thread being about the draft however I think whether it's Suh they sign or either Fairley or a guy like Ordick I think Austin is going to want a big DT on the line to pair with their choice, a guy like Danny Shelton.

Odrick was one of my top guys I wanted in 2010, if they didnt take Suh. I'd be more than happy with him in a Lions uniform.

December 20th, 2014, 2:10 pm
RIP Killer

All I can say is that Mayhew had better do a much, MUCH better job in this next draft. His first two picks from this past draft don't look promising, at all. Ebron should have been used more, and I have to question why he wasn't. When he did get times in the game, he was more bad than good. Van Noy lost a bunch of time due to his injury, but when he came back he looked completely lost most of the time. God awful in their rookie years. Busts? No. But I don't see them becoming All Pro players any time soon. And I'm sorry, but a 10th overall pick is supposed to make an immediate positive impact on the team.

Meanwhile, we have multiple players selected after Ebron that have had much better seasons. Mayhew didn't do too badly in the first rounds up to this year, but he sure screwed the pooch on this one.

December 28th, 2014, 8:55 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

I think Ebron is used little because he isn't very good.

I think this is Mayhews worst draft, in the best pool of talent in memory.

I wanted CJ Mosley and Jordan Matthews in rd 2. Rarely am I correct on who might be available where.

I think that would have worked out better. Too bad

December 29th, 2014, 11:39 am
League MVP

What really frustrates me too is that there always seems to be that player or two that is pretty much a clear bet he will be a stud in the NFL, or has a very good shot at it. Odell Beckham Jr for example. The signs were there. Great hands, good speed, great route running, playmaker. Many said he was just a SMALL step under Watkins, but barely. The Lions needed a WR. HE WAS ON THE BOARD STILL. What the heck was Mayhew thinking? Ebron just happened to be the best TE in that class, but did he really wow people so much that he just HAD to be the pick? If I remember correctly, its not like he put up monster numbers in college. And they say his hands werent that great. Okay, so his hands arent great. But Beckham's hands ARE great. Its not like Ebron has some sort of Calvin Johnson unusual size or anything. Hes what, 6'4 250? An average TE size. Yet, they compare him to Jimmy Graham? Why? Because hes athletic? That term drives me nuts! If you are a college football player, YOU ARE ATHLETIC. Thats just how it is.

I watch yesterdays game thinking that Beckham Jr just MIGHT have been the difference maker in that game. Sure, there were many other mistakes made that a rookie WR wouldnt have solved. But he sure wouldnt have hurt. Assuming we picked Odell and still had the same record, were drafting 24th in the 2015 Draft. So pick a TE there if you want. Whatever. But not at 10 when you could have had a playmaker like Beckham, or Lewan/Martin.

And what really drives me nuts (and this is MY fault, not anyone else's), is that I made a big mistake and was a horrible husband and skipped my wifes 5-year service award dinner for her work so I could go to my Draft Party because I thought this was going to be a huge pick. I thought Watkins was THE GUY. If not, they toyed around the idea of Khalil Mack. Mack a Lion! I cant go to your work function when this big event for a Lions fan will unfold. And at the very least, they will take Beckham Jr. and make my Mock Draft Lions pick correct.

Then they took Ebron. A tight end.

](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

December 29th, 2014, 1:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next