View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 16th, 2018, 8:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Who do you like? 
Martha Firestone Ford

Post Re: Who do you like?
I am starting to think we should be the beneficiaries of either Green Beckham or Peters falling to us due to their off field issues. I think Megatron and Tate can help Green Beckham stay out of trouble. He is top 10 talent if not for his issues.

Same thing with Peters. Top 10 talent.

We need Peters more than Green Beckham because we have a greater need at CB than at WR. The only knock on Peters is that he had a dispute with a new HC, so the HC kicked him off the team. I think both sides escalated that situation to what it became.

April 12th, 2015, 6:40 pm
NFL Team Captain

BillySims wrote:
I am starting to think we should be the beneficiaries of either Green Beckham or Peters falling to us due to their off field issues. I think Megatron and Tate can help Green Beckham stay out of trouble. He is top 10 talent if not for his issues.

We need Peters more than Green Beckham because we have a greater need at CB than at WR. The only knock on Peters is that he had a dispute with a new HC, so the HC kicked him off the team. I think both sides escalated that situation to what it became.

I don't know Billy. The problem child scares me. If they're throwing tantrums and breaking the law as collegians, how will they behave when they have a million dollar contract?

April 12th, 2015, 7:29 pm
Pro Bowl Player

I'm not a huge fan of either, as the Lions have a very poor record when it comes to drafting guys with red flags. I especially don't like Green-Beckham, he has that stink of Mike Williams. With DGB I see a guy like MW that dominated physically inferior competition despite putting in little effort to be great at the WR position and like MW I think he has just been that much better than everybody his entire life that he won't take the time to be great.

April 12th, 2015, 7:32 pm
League MVP

liontrax wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
I'm starting to like Andrus Peat for our selection. There are a few teams ahead of us who may take him, but I'm seeing his value be right around the early 20s. Definite starter at RT right off the bat, but is potentially a LT if he proves to be better than Reiff.

I like many of the O-linemen listed as 1st or 2nd's. Think Peat will be gone by 23. Doesn't matter, still should be solid Tackle candidates available, possibly till our 2nd pick. If the Lions draft O-line in the 1st, great, protecting the QB and improving the run game should be prioritized. Thing is I wouldn't be surprised one bit if Mayhew takes skill position player instead.

I wouldn't be surprised but I'd be disappointed. We need to focus on the infrastructure of this team first, oline and dline.

April 12th, 2015, 7:59 pm
Martha Firestone Ford

liontrax wrote:
BillySims wrote:

I don't know Billy. The problem child scares me. If they're throwing tantrums and breaking the law as collegians, how will they behave when they have a million dollar contract?

It's just that good teams benefit frequently by taking the risk on guys. Yes, they also get burned sometimes. But, when your drafting at 23 and two players with top 10 ability are there for the taking...... How do you justify taking the inferior player? DGB has the ability to be a #1WR in a couple years when Megatron will be ready to settle into a #2WR role.

As for Peters, without the coaching change, that incident doesn't happen. Has anyone heard a detailed account of what happened that led to his dismissal from the team? I haven't. So, I am thinking it was a mutually escalated event between Peters and the new coach. His former coach was on SiriusXM NFL Radio the other day and said nothing but good things about Peters and that he never had any issues with him.

April 12th, 2015, 11:27 pm
League MVP

http://www.detroitlionsdraft.com/2015/0 ... -and-cons/

April 13th, 2015, 1:20 am
Player of the Year - Offense

Mayhew has said he learned from the 2011 draft, plus he has a no-nonsense coach in Caldwell. I think our days of drafting problem children are over.

"Good teams don't worry about a whole lot of stuff. They travel, they play, they win. And it doesn't matter where they go, what the time block is, all those kinds of things. They never seem to bother teams that play well, and we want to be one of those teams." -Jim Caldwell

April 13th, 2015, 7:00 am
Player of the Year - Offense

I'm beginning to see a lot of drafts where the top shelf OL and DL talent is off the board at #23. For that reason, it would not be a shock if we took a CB or RB.

When talent meets need, as in 2013, then we appear to go with need, but I think it's clear Mayhew would rather take the best guy at a position that's not a big need than take the fifth best guy at a position of high need.

"Good teams don't worry about a whole lot of stuff. They travel, they play, they win. And it doesn't matter where they go, what the time block is, all those kinds of things. They never seem to bother teams that play well, and we want to be one of those teams." -Jim Caldwell

April 17th, 2015, 10:26 am
Rookie Player of the Year

thelomasbrowns wrote:
I'm beginning to see a lot of drafts where the top shelf OL and DL talent is off the board at #23. For that reason, it would not be a shock if we took a CB or RB.

When talent meets need, as in 2013, then we appear to go with need, but I think it's clear Mayhew would rather take the best guy at a position that's not a big need than take the fifth best guy at a position of high need.

Somebody projected high will likely drop, it happens pretty much every year. It will be interesting to see who and why they drop, plus if they happen to be a player that can fill a spot for the Lions. With Mayhew getting a 5th rounder and some more cap space from Johnson leaving, I think it means they will feel free to go pretty much any position with the pick in the first.

April 17th, 2015, 8:47 pm
RIP Killer

thelomasbrowns wrote:

And that would make him the dumbest GM on the planet, if he's not already. I don't care if he takes the 23rd best offensive tackle, or the top rated receiver. The 23rd best player is the 23rd best player, regardless of how many players at his position were already taken.

That is the DUMBEST reason to not select a player in existence. By that statement, GMs should taking the best player available at a position with their first round picks, so no more than one center, one QB, one FS, one SS, one placekicker, one punter, etc. would be taken in the top 25 picks.

April 18th, 2015, 9:32 pm
RIP Killer

BillySims wrote:
I think Megatron and Tate can help Green Beckham stay out of trouble.

Megatron certainly helped kept Titus Young out of trouble... :oops:

April 19th, 2015, 9:04 am
Profile WWW
Martha Firestone Ford

Pablo wrote:
BillySims wrote:

Titus Young had a certifiable mental disorder! So, you can't legitimately compare the two.

April 19th, 2015, 11:45 am
Team MVP

BillySims wrote:
Pablo wrote:
BillySims wrote:

Titus Young had a certifiable mental disorder! So, you can't legitimately compare the two.

You think repeatedly making bad decisions isn't a disorder? Being unable to tell the difference between good and bad is most certainly a disorder. And if he know the difference and still makes the decisions it's even worse.

Now I understand that Caldwell is probably a better mentor to troubled kids than Schwartz was, but because a first rounder requires 4-5 years of staying out of trouble, there's no way I take a risk on that kind of trouble.

April 19th, 2015, 12:24 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

njroar wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Pablo wrote:
BillySims wrote:

You think repeatedly making bad decisions isn't a disorder? Being unable to tell the difference between good and bad is most certainly a disorder. And if he know the difference and still makes the decisions it's even worse.

Now I understand that Caldwell is probably a better mentor to troubled kids than Schwartz was, but because a first rounder requires 4-5 years of staying out of trouble, there's no way I take a risk on that kind of trouble.

Now it's possible Green-Beckham could have an undiagnosed mental health issue, I'm betting it's more likely he has emotional problems from his childhood. The kid was in foster homes before his high school coach adopted him and his brother. He also had to go through his brother having treatment for leukemia. A guy like Caldwell could be exactly the type of coach he needs, like a Tony Dungy type mentor. He would be a guy I think the team would have to talk with his agent about contract clauses before they even decide to burn a pick on him. Young had something actually wrong physically with his mind which talking to someone alone is never going to help, I don't think they are similar situations at all. I guess the case could be made it would have been easier to help Young if there is a type of medication for his particular issue.

April 19th, 2015, 2:24 pm
RIP Killer

BillySims wrote:
Pablo wrote:
BillySims wrote:

Actually, coming out of college I think the comparison of both is very legit. You just know now, in hindsight, that Young has a certifiable mental disorder - did you know that when they drafted him or were the "off the field issues" pretty similar to what you are know hearing about Beckham.

The Lions also had a stronger veteran WR leader in Nate Burleson than they have now with Tate to go along with CJ. Still didn't help Young and I'm more comfortable taking a risk like that in the second round (where you had two selections that year) than with a first round pick. And LeShoure had problems of his own, as did Fairly. Nice character drafting that year, no wonder there is no one left from that draft which should now be the prime nucleus of the team.

Again, our organization hasn't shown they are equipped to handle problem child players like this. Heck, even their front office personnel have had their own issues. In the first round you want to have talent meet character, not one or the other.

April 19th, 2015, 8:41 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next