View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently January 24th, 2019, 3:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Who do you like? 
NFL Team Captain

Post Re: Who do you like?
In the first round, if we go OT, I think/hope we'll be looking at Flowers from Miami or Collins from LSU. Both are monsters in the running game and Collins could even move to guard. At DT I like Armstead because his ceiling is so high, but will he achieve that? Looks like he could be boom or bust. I've seen a lot of reference to Malcom Brown from Texas for the Lions, but I'm not that high on him. Might be better to wait till the 2nd or 3rd to address DT's as there could be a lot to choose from. The other option (maybe best option) for our first pick could be at CB. If Byron Jones from Uconn or Kevin Johnson of Wake Forest are still there, probably couldn't wrong with either.

April 23rd, 2015, 6:50 pm
RIP Killer

I've learned that unless it is pick #1 or #2, don't come up with guys you like or you will be sorely disappointed for the most part... Now, picks from about 7-17 have been the worst for me with Mike Williams, Ernie Sims, Gosder Cherilus, and Ebron last year. I wan't upset with the Fairley pick at 13, thought it was worth the risk there. Picks from 20 down I really try not to get that worked up about, the chances of me calling the right pick are pretty slim there anyways.

A real poor idea is falling in love with any position, the Lions have shown time and time again they don't draft for need in the first round.

Now that being said, I really hope they pick....nope, not going to do it...

April 24th, 2015, 5:53 pm
Profile WWW
Martha Firestone Ford

Pablo wrote:
I've learned that unless it is pick #1 or #2, don't come up with guys you like or you will be sorely disappointed for the most part... Now, picks from about 7-17 have been the worst for me with Mike Williams, Ernie Sims, Gosder Cherilus, and Ebron last year. I wan't upset with the Fairley pick at 13, thought it was worth the risk there. Picks from 20 down I really try not to get that worked up about, the chances of me calling the right pick are pretty slim there anyways.

A real poor idea is falling in love with any position, the Lions have shown time and time again they don't draft for need in the first round.

Now that being said, I really hope they pick....nope, not going to do it...

I agree somewhat. Every time I get excited about a guy, his draft stock soars through the roof.

April 24th, 2015, 6:37 pm
RIP Killer

Hypothetical question:

Since the Lions always seem to draft talent (LOL) over need in the first round, let me ask this. If Mariota were to do an Aaron Rodgers type free fall and he's available at 23, do the Lions pick him?

April 26th, 2015, 7:53 pm
Player of the Year - Offense

m2karateman wrote:
Hypothetical question:

Since the Lions always seem to draft talent (LOL) over need in the first round, let me ask this. If Mariota were to do an Aaron Rodgers type free fall and he's available at 23, do the Lions pick him?

M2K, I used to really enjoy your analysis. You were tough but fair with the team (I remember you had a draft blog one year and that was really a good read). The problem is, you've become the second coming of WJB. You are sometimes correct, but it's only because you say Mayhew is always wrong.

Maybe it wasn't built in a way to your liking, but we have a relatively talented squad and went 11-5 last year. If you can't admit that Mayhew is doing something right (at least relative to other GMs), then it's hard to take your criticism seriously.

"Good teams don't worry about a whole lot of stuff. They travel, they play, they win. And it doesn't matter where they go, what the time block is, all those kinds of things. They never seem to bother teams that play well, and we want to be one of those teams." -Jim Caldwell

April 26th, 2015, 10:02 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

m2karateman wrote:
Hypothetical question:

Absolutely not.

April 26th, 2015, 10:19 pm
National Champion

thelomasbrowns wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
Hypothetical question:

M2K, I used to really enjoy your analysis. You were tough but fair with the team (I remember you had a draft blog one year and that was really a good read). The problem is, you've become the second coming of WJB. You are sometimes correct, but it's only because you say Mayhew is always wrong.

Maybe it wasn't built in a way to your liking, but we have a relatively talented squad and went 11-5 last year. If you can't admit that Mayhew is doing something right (at least relative to other GMs), then it's hard to take your criticism seriously.

huh? How does a hypothetical question get this response?

And to answer the question, I think they would be stupid not to take him if he slips to them.

April 27th, 2015, 8:18 am
Rookie Player of the Year

aManNamedSuh wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
Hypothetical question:

huh? How does a hypothetical question get this response?

And to answer the question, I think they would be stupid not to take him if he slips to them.

I also think M2K has been more negative than previous times, but it's cool he has probably just hit his limit with the FO. I think we all have a breaking point where you've seen so many mistakes you just feel people need to be fired.

I don't see how the Mariota question can even be a real question. Even with the idea of talent over need, the Lions trade out if he's there. The real value is in the extra picks you get from such a high profile QB falling. You have Arizona, Dallas, Denver, and New Orleans all in the bottom of the first round needing a young QB and after that you still have all the teams that passed on him early in the first that would move up from the second to get him. The only way no one is willing to trade up is if there is some huge red flag on him that caused the fall and that makes him not the best player available, so you draft someone else.

April 27th, 2015, 8:47 am
RIP Killer

m2karateman wrote:
Hypothetical question:

Were the Packers smart to grab Rodgers when they already had a HOF QB behind center? The payoff, a SB ring. You don't draft to appease fans, you draft to win a SB and if the FO determines that Mariota is a potential SB winning QB I say go for it.

Fans want to draft to plug holes, NFL teams should draft with a longer term vision of building talent within an organization - especially at the most critical positions. Use FA to plug holes if you must.

Stafford's contract runs through 2017, Mariota looks to me like he needs a year or two of development to really be ready in the NFL. Stafford is one of the best, if not the best, the Lions have had in a long time. Is he a SB winning QB? Maybe, who knows. We know Farve was (multiple times)... Wouldn't it be nice if the Lions proved to make moves a smart as teams that win the SB?

April 27th, 2015, 10:03 am
Profile WWW
Team MVP

Pablo wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
Hypothetical question:

Were the Packers smart to grab Rodgers when they already had a HOF QB behind center? The payoff, a SB ring. You don't draft to appease fans, you draft to win a SB and if the FO determines that Mariota is a potential SB winning QB I say go for it.

Fans want to draft to plug holes, NFL teams should draft with a longer term vision of building talent within an organization - especially at the most critical positions. Use FA to plug holes if you must.

Stafford's contract runs through 2017, Mariota looks to me like he needs a year or two of development to really be ready in the NFL. Stafford is one of the best, if not the best, the Lions have had in a long time. Is he a SB winning QB? Maybe, who knows. We know Farve was (multiple times)... Wouldn't it be nice if the Lions proved to make moves a smart as teams that win the SB?

I agree with the sentiment, and if he's there you absolutely take him. But, it will never happen. The Eagles would 100% snatch him up if he were there. I still wouldn't be surprised if they trade all the way up to get him in the top 5. (sorry for the threadjack)

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

April 27th, 2015, 10:33 am
Martha Firestone Ford

m2karateman wrote:
Hypothetical question:

I still have flashbacks from the last time we drafted an Oregon Duck QB in the 1st round.

April 27th, 2015, 11:10 am
NFL Team Captain

Interesting article just before draft day.

JASON LA CANFORA
CBS Sports NFL Insider

There are only five can't-miss players in the 2015 NFL Draft
April 27, 2015 12:33 pm ET

More Draft coverage: Mock Drafts | Prospect Rankings | Big Board | News

This column was going to be about the top 10 players in the 2015 NFL Draft. It really was.

I was going to talk to a few evaluators I really trust and put together a column on which players truly merit to be taken in the first 10 picks of an NFL Draft. True blue chippers. Can't miss kids.

Only it was difficult to get too much of a consensus -- that says something about this talent-starved, topsy-turvy crop of players upon which few execs can seem to agree -- and one of the scouts I have come to respect immensely simply wouldn't budge outside of a top five. To make it more clear -- he is adamant that there is no top 10 in this draft. He doesn't see any natural delineation at that number, if you will. He sees a clear cut top-five players in this draft, and then a significant drop in class from them, and then another drop in tier after the next handful of players, and so on and so on.

And this is coming from a guy who frankly loves this draft. Because he thinks it will separate the men from the boys not so much on the field, but in the 32 NFL front offices. He is deadset on the notion that the second round of this draft might be just as good in many spots as the second round and that it might not take a full three years out to discern which teams did the smartest, best work sorting out these players and which did not.

"I love this draft, I absolutely love it," he said. "This is a scout's draft. If you are the average GM and you didn't go see these kids play a lot this year and you were watching film all year, you're screwed. You have to have watched the tape all season. You have to have really seen these kids, and there is no way you can find the time to watch all 12 games on them in the offseason. You have to have seen these players develop all year long to have the right track on them.

"This is my kind of a draft. Am I saying this group is loaded with Pro Bowlers? No. But there are some really good players who are going to go on the second and third day who, I'm telling you, are going to be better than a lot of kids who go on the first day. You just have to know where to find them."

That lack of true high-end sure-things is born out by the fact that this dude refused to put anyone other than a particular five players in his top tier of 2015 talent (names to come soon enough). I couldn't get him to put a single offensive linemen in the bunch. No luck with corners. He wouldn't entertain the notion of a quarterback rightfully being clumped anywhere close to that (he gave Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota first-round grades but said he would not take Winston himself due to the off-field issues). I knew better than to ever ask about a safety, tight end or inside linebacker -- he gave none of them in this draft a first-round grade at those positions, by the way.

Trust me, I tried. You name a kid that has generated any significant pre-draft buzz, and I ran the name by this guy during a very lengthy conversation, and he would only bite on five kids. And five kids only. Again, this evaluator's track record has been incredibly high with me over the years (with a significant amount of his input I successfully identified 27 of the first 33 players taken a year ago; not obviously in the exact spot but of the 32 players in my mock, 27 were gone by pick 33 and all were gone by pick 48). And he will have some major sway in the top 32 list I putting together for later this week, as a precursor to the dreaded but mandatory mock draft on Thursday.

Anyway, here are the five players who stand out, by far, to this evaluator, in the order in which he expects them to make an impact in the NFL once they get selected. Obviously, injuries and the unforeseen can derail any career, but these are the five prospects he would view as far and away the best available talent in the 2015 draft, in his words:

1. Leonard Williams, DL, USC: He's the best pick in this draft and it isn't even really all that close. In fact, if the two quarterbacks go with the first two picks, and the Jaguars (picking third overall) take (pass rusher Dante) Fowler before him, they're crazy. I don't care what your defensive line looks like, this is the pick. He should go first overall. There is no way I would take one of these quarterbacks over him, but with the position some of these teams are in, I understand why he won't go first. I can't say he's completely can't-miss. He's a little bit different in some ways; he's kind of a hippie. But he can play, God can he play. He is the best player in this draft and I don't see how anyone could really debate that.
Leonard Williams stands alone at the top of this draft class. (Getty Images)
2. Dante Fowler, Jr., OLB, Florida: I really like this kid. Randy Gregory to me is the best pass rusher in this draft, but he's got the red flags, too. This is the second-best player in this draft. I think he's a double-digit sack guy, he's on the field for you every down. I don't worry about his weight the way I do with some of these other kids, who put on all this fake water weight but you know they can't play that way. He's not a one-year wonder like (Clemson's Vic) Beasley. This kid has the body. I know Pittsburgh has to be dying over this kid. They can't get him (Pittsburgh isn't picking until 22nd overall), but when I see him play I see Joey Porter. He gets in the right scheme -- I see him in a 3-4) and he is going to produce.Dante Fowler looks like a double-digit sack guy. (Getty Images)
3. Shane Ray, DE, Missouri: Next to Gregory, this is the best pass rusher in the group. Fowler might be a little better against the run, a little more polished, but Ray is going to be a handful. This kid is going to impact games. I see a lot of people seem to be down on him or whatever lately. Maybe it's smokescreens or whatever, but if he drops it's only because of his toe (some teams believe Ray may require a procedure for a turf toe injury). The medical would be the only thing. From a football perspective, he can play. You can talk about him maybe being a liability against the run, or there being questions there, but 12 sacks a year sounds pretty good to me. That's what he is. I could see him in a 4-3 or a 3-4. Either way, he's getting to the quarterback.Foot issues aside, Shane Ray is going to make an impact in the NFL. (Getty Images)
4. Kevin White, WR, West Virginia: Funny how it took some teams until later in the season, or even the combine, to really come around on him. He's the best receiver in this draft. The measurables speak for themselves. The speed doesn't just show up with a stop-watch; he plays fast. This is AJ Green to me. I see AJ Green. You have a chance to take AJ Green, you take AJ Green.Kevin White can fly. (Getty Images)
5. Amari Cooper, WR, Alabama: Some teams would tell you this might be the cleanest pick in the draft and I can see where they are coming from. This is a helluva football player. He's going to be very good on Sundays. There isn't much separating him and White, I just lean to White and think he will make more big plays, but there isn't much not to like about Cooper, either. He's a true No. 1 receiver.The gap between Kevin White and Amari Cooper is scant. (Getty Images)
And that was it. I couldn't get another name on this list. I asked if he wanted to change the order at all -- this was the order he originally gave me -- and he said no. With so much offense in the game these days, players who can negate the quarterback are at an absolute premium, and so he wanted to give the edge to defensive players at the top of the list.

"This is it," he said. "I've got five, I don't have 10. I don't have six. This is the five, and then there is everybody else."

And so you have it. Surely, others will disagree -- and this draft will surely be all over the place -- but time will tell if these players truly evolve into the best 2015 has to offer, first as rookies and then for years to come.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jas ... -nfl-draft

April 27th, 2015, 9:01 pm
League MVP

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2015/4/27 ... pers-lions

Article about potential "sleepers". Don't know much about 5 or 6 of the guys, but the other ones aren't sleepers to me, just later round picks

April 28th, 2015, 12:42 am
Martha Firestone Ford

Besides Ron Dayne, can anyone name a Wisconsin RB that was any good in the NFL? Wisconsin RB's are a lot like Michigan RB's in the NFL. Then end up proving they were products of their college O-Line. The Michigan RB that amounted to anything in the NFL was Wheatley.

I ask this question because I think we will be drafting Gordon or Gurly. I don't want a RB that has already torn up his knee either.

If we draft a 1st round RB, Tevin Colman is the only RB we should consider. IMHO, he is the best RB in this draft. Indiana had no passing game. Opposing teams stacked the line to stop Coleman, and couldn't do it.

April 28th, 2015, 11:10 pm
Pro Bowl Player

I'm a big fan of Coleman but he has to work on getting small between the tackles, his upright running style through the hole isn't going to cut it in the NFL. If he continues to run the way he is he will have a Darren McFadden type of below average career filled with injuries. If he is playing behind a dominant O-line that opens up holes you can drive a dump truck through it won't hurt him as much but if he plays behind an O-line like the Lions marched out there last year he could be in for a disappointing season/career. I definitely wouldn't be upset if it were Coleman taken with their 2nd round pick but at this point I'd be happier if they took Duke Johnson. He has that "why did we pass on him?" about him with the way he plays and approaches the game.

April 29th, 2015, 7:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next