View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 14th, 2018, 3:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 2010, 2011 Drafts 
Player of the Year - Offense

Post Re: 2010, 2011 Drafts
DayDreamer wrote:
rao wrote:
liontrax wrote:
Believe we're long past repercussions of the Millen era. It's the Mayhew era that's killing us. I have hope that Caldwell and his coaches wil have more influence in draft decisions. Can't be any worse than what we've had, and I trust he has a better eye for talent, and an understanding of what this team needs. To me free agency is a tool to plug the obvious holes with band-aid's to stop the bleeding while we draft replacements to develop into starters. Big money free agents are often a waste of money and a disappointment, so I agree with your " low cost FA " attitude.

The Lions best draft came before Caldwell got here, so far it seems the best draft the Lions have had is when they left the coaches out of it.

I agree with the way you feel FAs should be used, but because of the big 3 taking up so much cap room the Lions never had the option to develop their draft picks because they couldn't afford to get free agents to fill the gaps. Their rookies almost always had to be thrown to the wolves from the start because they never had enough cap space to fill every hole.

Last year's draft seems more like the Coaching staff's doing than Mahew's, Ebron screams of Lombardi interference, and Van Noy seems like a typical Caldwell "High character" guy. Like Rao said, maybe the FO should handle this year's draft without interference from the coaching staff and see what happens, it can't be much worse than last year's debacle.

Not sure what will happen with Ebron, but I'm still optimistic KVN could be something special. Physically, he's the type of player Seattle would draft. In fact, I was convinced they would take him before they traded with us.

Speaking big picture, it doesn't make sense to judge a draft pick after one year (unless it's a Freese-type situation). I'm sure there were people saying CJ was a bust after his first season.

"Good teams don't worry about a whole lot of stuff. They travel, they play, they win. And it doesn't matter where they go, what the time block is, all those kinds of things. They never seem to bother teams that play well, and we want to be one of those teams." -Jim Caldwell

March 14th, 2015, 1:47 pm
League MVP

thelomasbrowns wrote:
I'm sure there were people saying CJ was a bust after his first season.

I was the opposite. I remember after the 2007 season saying Calvin Johnson will be the best WR in football shortly.

March 17th, 2015, 6:30 pm
QB Coach - Brian Callahan

CJ had a way better first year than Ebron. 700 yards, 4 TDs vs 250 yards, 1 TD.

March 19th, 2015, 10:45 am
RIP Killer

thelomasbrowns wrote:
Not sure what will happen with Ebron, but I'm still optimistic KVN could be something special. Physically, he's the type of player Seattle would draft. In fact, I was convinced they would take him before they traded with us.

Speaking big picture, it doesn't make sense to judge a draft pick after one year (unless it's a Freese-type situation). I'm sure there were people saying CJ was a bust after his first season.

From a personal standpoint, my judgements on Ebron weren't about his production, but rather how he played while on the field. He wasn't just making mistakes, he was very ordinary. Rookies will usually flash a little something to show that they have a bright future. Calvin certainly did that in his rookie season. Most rookies struggle, but you see something that you know they can work on and improve. We saw that will Darius Slay. He struggled, but later in the season he was 'getting it' and his play improved. I saw nothing, absolutely nothing, out of Ebron that would make me think he will make vast strides towards being worthy of a top ten pick. He showed me nothing more than fourth round talent, at best.

March 21st, 2015, 4:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2