View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 16th, 2018, 9:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 The Ngata trade impact 
RIP Killer

Post The Ngata trade impact
The trade for Haloti Ngata cost the Lions their 4th and 5th round pick this year. In my opinion, entirely too much. Why? Ngata will essentially be playing on a one year $8.5 million contract. He's 31 years old, but coming off a very good season. He was minutes away from being outright released by the Ravens. I think the Lions could have offered a 5th rounder and the Ravens would have made the deal. Why take nothing when you can get something? Mayhew got freakin' duped.

But, what impact will the loss of those picks have on the draft? What impact will the trade for Ngata have on draft strategy?

Lions needs are DT, LG, CB, RT, RB, WR.....not necessarily in that order. By getting Ngata, they can essentially wait until the second or third rounds to get a DT. They desperately need another starting quality corner, and a starting quality offensive guard. Those can't be had in the sixth and seventh rounds, typically. Sometimes a good right tackle can be had in later rounds. Running back is not a big need, but another power back would be nice. Another tall, possession style receiver would be good. There seems to be depth at both RB and WR that would allow the Lions to get one of those in the 6th or 7th round. And keep in mind, the Lions did get the Ravens 7th round pick as part of the Ngata trade.

Another thing to consider is, do the Lions more strongly consider a trade down in rounds one or two to try and get back their mid-round picks? It will largely depend on who is on the board at the time of the selections.

If for whatever reason the Lions don't sign a guard or offensive tackle in free agency, I think that becomes the biggest round one consideration. Cameron Erving would be an awesome pick if he fell (unlikely) in round one. He can play any offensive line spot, and could allow the Lions to slide LaAdrian Waddle to left guard if Erving proves the better right tackle. If Trae Waynes drops to the Lions in round one, they would be foolish to pass on him. At that point, they could go with an offensive lineman in round two, like maybe Laken Tomlinson. Tomlinson looked very good at the Combines, and in my opinion has the athletic skill to possibly move to right tackle, as well as play guard in the NFL. If Michael Bennett or Eddie Goldman happen to still be available in round two, either of those DTs would be solid picks.

I wouldn't mind a draft like this:
Round 1 Pick 23: Ereck Flowers, OT, Miami (Fla.)
Round 2 Pick 22: Jordan Phillips, DT, Oklahoma
Round 3 Pick 24: Ronald Darby, CB, Florida State
Round 6 Pick 24: Chris Conley, WR, Georgia
Round 7 Pick 14: Brock Hekking, DE, Nevada
Round 7 Pick 23: Josh Robinson, RB, Mississippi St.

March 12th, 2015, 9:57 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

Post Re: The Ngata trade impact
I think it's almost a sure thing we will see a trade down in either the 2nd or 3rd rounds possibly both, so I don't think they end the draft without getting at least one player in the 4th or 5th round. Mayhew has moved down after the 1st round a few times. I think part of the reason he was so willing to move those two mid rounders is because they really don't have a ton of roster spots even left to sit a couple of rookies. They already have a lot of young guys sitting on the roster that they seem to want to give a shot. Obviously there is always the option to upgrade and drop the guy they have for a rookie, but a 4th or 5th round rookie isn't likely to look any better than the prospect they already have on the bench given the unknown nature of rookies.

March 12th, 2015, 10:21 pm
NFL Team Captain

Believe the Lions are in a good spot for a potential trade down if the top RB's are still there. The teams picking after us that I believe could be looking at a back in the first round - Carolina, Baltimore, and Dallas. Could be a chance to add a 3rd or 4th rounder.

March 13th, 2015, 10:22 am
Player of the Year - Offense

Don't forget that we're also at the end of the 4th and 5th rounds. Factor in comp picks and both of the picks given up are pretty far down the pecking order. Last year's draft was supposedly stacked, and the quality really fell off towards the end of the 3rd.

"Good teams don't worry about a whole lot of stuff. They travel, they play, they win. And it doesn't matter where they go, what the time block is, all those kinds of things. They never seem to bother teams that play well, and we want to be one of those teams." -Jim Caldwell

March 13th, 2015, 10:30 am
NFL Team Captain

Doubt we'll be getting any comp picks this year. If we do they'll be late ones.

March 13th, 2015, 11:42 am
Player of the Year - Offense

liontrax wrote:
Doubt we'll be getting any comp picks this year. If we do they'll be late ones.

I'm not saying we will. I'm saying other teams' comp picks push back our selections in the 4th and 5th round.

"Good teams don't worry about a whole lot of stuff. They travel, they play, they win. And it doesn't matter where they go, what the time block is, all those kinds of things. They never seem to bother teams that play well, and we want to be one of those teams." -Jim Caldwell

March 14th, 2015, 8:02 am
League MVP

We have need for young players at several positions. Our first 3 picks need to be impact guys if not immediate starters. Having trouble deciding which direction we need to go. OT OG DT CB and RB could all fit. I guess I'd lean toward first round oline second corner third dt then hoping we hit on a late round back and lineman

March 14th, 2015, 9:44 am
NFL Team Captain

The strength of this years draft is in the O-line, D-line and RB's. We just happen to need all three. That's where I would spend my picks, in no particular order, unless a special talent falls to us that can't be ignored.

March 14th, 2015, 12:46 pm
RIP Killer

liontrax wrote:
The strength of this years draft is in the O-line, D-line and RB's. We just happen to need all three. That's where I would spend my picks, in no particular order, unless a special talent falls to us that can't be ignored.

We just re-signed Mathis, but the man will be 35 and the Lions DESPERATELY need a big corner with starting skills. I'm not sure Lawson is the guy. They MUST draft a CB either in round one or two, and preferably one who is not a smurf. Corner, QBs and DEs or rush LBs typically go higher than expected. So do coverage type safeties. There is a big dropoff in talent at CB after round two. Waiting until round three will be a big mistake.

March 18th, 2015, 8:38 pm
Martha Firestone Ford

m2karateman wrote:
liontrax wrote:

We just re-signed Mathis, but the man will be 35 and the Lions DESPERATELY need a big corner with starting skills. I'm not sure Lawson is the guy. They MUST draft a CB either in round one or two, and preferably one who is not a smurf. Corner, QBs and DEs or rush LBs typically go higher than expected. So do coverage type safeties. There is a big dropoff in talent at CB after round two. Waiting until round three will be a big mistake.

Carefull M2K, your starting to sound like me about CB's. LOL.

March 19th, 2015, 12:10 am
RIP Killer

BillySims wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
liontrax wrote:

Carefull M2K, your starting to sound like me about CB's. LOL.

Right is right Billy. You and I, along with a couple others, have been saying the Lions need to draft a cornerback early for years now. I think Terry Fair was the last CB the Lions drafted in the first round back in 1998. It's a position long overlooked by the FO. What's even more noteworthy is that the only CB we've taken in round two since that time has been Darius Slay. All others selected between '98 and now were third round or later.

March 21st, 2015, 4:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]