View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently February 24th, 2018, 5:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Pre draft visits. 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Re: Pre draft visits.
liontrax wrote:
rao wrote:
liontrax wrote:
Fuller was a late round prayer that has developed somewhat. Not enough in my opinion. Broyles was flat-out another one of Mayhew's draft day brain-farts. Hopefully the good news going forward will be Caldwells influence on selections. I believe he will have a better feel for what this team needs to improve.
Maybe we'll get lucky with some trade back opportunities. We need the extra picks badly, although I wouldn't be surprised if Mayhew ignores whats best for the future, opting for making a splash right now.
With all the light that's been shed on his pispoor draft record recently, he needs an impact first pick at the very least. His job is on the line if Ithe Lions have a bad season, and with the schedule they have it will be awfully tough to make the playoffs without a huge improvement on offense.

This false narrative has to stop. Mayhews best draft was when he took the coaches out of the equation. Everyones most hated pick last draft was Lombardi's influence, the coaches aren't the solution to better drafting by Mayhew. What helped him was listening to his scouting team after they revamped their data sorting and collection system. Mayhew always drafts with the future in mind, he has passed on block buster trade ups multiple times because he didn't feel the cost was manageable. It would be way out of character for him to sack the future for a big splash this year and I personally hope he continues to keep the coaches influence to a minimum like 2013.

WRONG! 2013 was the year we coached the Senior Bowl, after an illustrious 4 win season. Our coaches got first hand knowledge on Ziggy and Warford. I believe that had a lot to do with their selection on draft day.
I'm not normally in favor of a head coach having an abundance of influence on draft decisions, but in the Lions war room a different perspective couldn't hurt.

Its not the early picks that made the 2013 different it was the later rounds. Everything changed with their drafting the moment the new system was able to be used, even last draft was similar to 2013 in that all the players drafted were taken in places that were considered appropriate. No more 2nd and 3rd round surprises or 4th and 5th round nobodies. The improvement has nothing to do with coaches input outside of the coaches saying the type of player they prefer in their system. The day Mayhew stopped listening to Schwartz grabbing undersized DEs and instead looked at guys like Taylor and Ziggy who were long and big bodied changed everything for them in the draft.

April 23rd, 2015, 11:10 am
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

The Lions invited and interviewed 30 college players (not including a group of local players the Lions may or may not be serious about). Of those 30, 7 were WR's, 7 were D Line (5 DT's) and 6 were O Line (5 OT's), 4 were CB's, with 3 RB's and 2 Safetys.

All of the OT's looked at are projected to be drafted in the first 4 rounds.
Six of the seven D Linemen were projected to be drafted in the first 4 rounds.
All four CB's are projected to be drafted in the first 4 rounds.
Both safetys are projected to be drafted in the first 4 rounds.

There were high projections for their WR's and RB's as well, but there were also players projected for rounds 5, 7, 7 and undrafted here too.

Much as Mayhew hates tipping his hand, I think that is what he has done.

I expect the Lions to draft an OT, a DT and either a CB or a Safety in the first three rounds... which would make me happy.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2015/04/final_list_of_detroit_lions_30.html#0

April 23rd, 2015, 1:19 pm

TruckinMack wrote:
The Lions invited and interviewed 30 college players (not including a group of local players the Lions may or may not be serious about). Of those 30, 7 were WR's, 7 were D Line (5 DT's) and 6 were O Line (5 OT's), 4 were CB's, with 3 RB's and 2 Safetys.

There were high projections for their WR's and RB's as well, but there were also players projected for rounds 5, 7, 7 and undrafted here too.

I expect the Lions to draft an OT, a DT and either a CB or a Safety in the first three rounds... which would make me happy.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2015/04/final_list_of_detroit_lions_30.html#0

I think it's pretty safe for him to tip his hand since everyone can just look at the team and see they need line men and corners primarily. I don't think any team that is looking for an OT or DT would have feel safe letting their favorite prospect fall to the Lions before they can draft them.

April 23rd, 2015, 1:31 pm
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

rao wrote:
TruckinMack wrote:

I think it's pretty safe for him to tip his hand since everyone can just look at the team and see they need line men and corners primarily. I don't think any team that is looking for an OT or DT would have feel safe letting their favorite prospect fall to the Lions before they can draft them.

Nicely said.

April 23rd, 2015, 2:04 pm
NFL Team Captain

rao wrote:
liontrax wrote:
rao wrote:
liontrax wrote:
Fuller was a late round prayer that has developed somewhat. Not enough in my opinion. Broyles was flat-out another one of Mayhew's draft day brain-farts. Hopefully the good news going forward will be Caldwells influence on selections. I believe he will have a better feel for what this team needs to improve.
Maybe we'll get lucky with some trade back opportunities. We need the extra picks badly, although I wouldn't be surprised if Mayhew ignores whats best for the future, opting for making a splash right now.
With all the light that's been shed on his pispoor draft record recently, he needs an impact first pick at the very least. His job is on the line if Ithe Lions have a bad season, and with the schedule they have it will be awfully tough to make the playoffs without a huge improvement on offense.

This false narrative has to stop. Mayhews best draft was when he took the coaches out of the equation. Everyones most hated pick last draft was Lombardi's influence, the coaches aren't the solution to better drafting by Mayhew. What helped him was listening to his scouting team after they revamped their data sorting and collection system. Mayhew always drafts with the future in mind, he has passed on block buster trade ups multiple times because he didn't feel the cost was manageable. It would be way out of character for him to sack the future for a big splash this year and I personally hope he continues to keep the coaches influence to a minimum like 2013.

WRONG! 2013 was the year we coached the Senior Bowl, after an illustrious 4 win season. Our coaches got first hand knowledge on Ziggy and Warford. I believe that had a lot to do with their selection on draft day.
I'm not normally in favor of a head coach having an abundance of influence on draft decisions, but in the Lions war room a different perspective couldn't hurt.

Its not the early picks that made the 2013 different it was the later rounds. Everything changed with their drafting the moment the new system was able to be used, even last draft was similar to 2013 in that all the players drafted were taken in places that were considered appropriate. No more 2nd and 3rd round surprises or 4th and 5th round nobodies. The improvement has nothing to do with coaches input outside of the coaches saying the type of player they prefer in their system. The day Mayhew stopped listening to Schwartz grabbing undersized DEs and instead looked at guys like Taylor and Ziggy who were long and big bodied changed everything for them in the draft.

Who did we get in the late rounds 2013 who's making all this difference? Riddick? Fuller? Spot duty players. The punter? Shouldn't even waste draft picks on someone that kicks the ball. Wonder if Mayhew learned that lesson from last year. As for last years draft, no one has proven a thing yet.

April 23rd, 2015, 2:15 pm

liontrax wrote:
rao wrote:
liontrax wrote:
rao wrote:
liontrax wrote:

Who did we get in the late rounds 2013 who's making all this difference? Riddick? Fuller? Spot duty players. The punter? Shouldn't even waste draft picks on someone that kicks the ball. Wonder if Mayhew learned that lesson from last year. As for last years draft, no one has proven a thing yet.

Yes Riddick, Fuller, and spot duty players. If you think getting those players with late round picks is bad you may as well stop looking at their draft picks because you have an unreasonable expectation of what a good draft is.

April 23rd, 2015, 4:46 pm
National Champion

rao wrote:
Shotty wrote:
rao wrote:
Davis would be nice protection for an injury to Ngata since they really don't have any options at the nose after Ngata. If something happened to Walker, Jones and Reid could combo to fill in. It looks really bleak with the current roster if Ngata were to go down.

Bleak is an understatement. Even with Jones playing inside with Ngata, the depth is concerning. CJ Mosley is gone because of his marijuana arrest and Caldwell's intolerance of nonsense.

I had a strong feeling since last off-season that Suh didn't want to stay in Detroit longer than he had to. You will never find a player who genuinely wants to stay on their first team who puts off an extension for that long, unless there are other problems within the team, which was not the case. Fairley should be a Lion this season, instead of us counting on Ngata, with respect, considering his age, to stay healthy all season or else it could be disastrous.

Considering the number of DTs we've looked at, I would like a trade-down into the early 2nd and to pick the best DT on the board. OL will already be better with Swanson replacing Raiola, and hopeful restored health on the right side.

Fairley has a history of slacking off and injuries. He only played 8 games last season and it was the first time he ever gave his all for every game he was on the field. Whether Fairley was a Lion or not didn't change the fact they were going to trade for Ngata and have to depend on him this season. Even if Fairley was on the team and Ngata went down, without another NT on the team the dline would not be in a good way with only Walker, Fairley, and Jones as options. Teams would be able to run right through the middle of that group pretty easily and it would look like Schwartz's defense all over again.

Good point. I'm hoping Ngata stays healthy, but Ngata-Fairley with a crop of young guys would've been much better, given the extra pressure Fairley would provide on passing downs. Even then, I'd want a DT with our first selection. I don't see any other direction that makes as much sense.

April 23rd, 2015, 4:52 pm
RIP Killer

rao wrote:
liontrax wrote:
rao wrote:
liontrax wrote:

The later players selected in 2013 have done nothing spectacular. Larry Warford was the best pick in the third round. Slay and Ansah have been good, but not even close to being top notch players at their positions in the NFL. Remember, Ansah was a top five pick. He should be better. As for later round, Devin Taylor is a limited contributor. Sam Martin has been a very good punter, and he was a nice pick. Corey Fuller hasn't impressed. Theo Riddick has been OK so far, but definitely not a game changer. Mike Williams is transitioning to OT and Brandon Hepburn is no longer with the team. Taylor, Fuller, and Riddick haven't been that impressive, and are basically on the team by default. While the 2013 draft may be the best one Mayhew has had, it doesn't excuse the other drafts he basically sh!tted up.

April 26th, 2015, 8:07 pm

m2karateman wrote:
rao wrote:
liontrax wrote:
rao wrote:
liontrax wrote:

The later players selected in 2013 have done nothing spectacular. Larry Warford was the best pick in the third round. Slay and Ansah have been good, but not even close to being top notch players at their positions in the NFL. Remember, Ansah was a top five pick. He should be better. As for later round, Devin Taylor is a limited contributor. Sam Martin has been a very good punter, and he was a nice pick. Corey Fuller hasn't impressed. Theo Riddick has been OK so far, but definitely not a game changer. Mike Williams is transitioning to OT and Brandon Hepburn is no longer with the team. Taylor, Fuller, and Riddick haven't been that impressive, and are basically on the team by default. While the 2013 draft may be the best one Mayhew has had, it doesn't excuse the other drafts he basically sh!tted up.

Ansah was not expected to be great quickly and the spot he was picked at has more to do with what was available not his ultimate productivity. Mayhew couldn't have made a better pick at that spot. The top ten of that draft was get one of the top 3 OTs or your stuck with a question mark or a good not great starter.

Taylor was able to fill in for an injured Jones in his rookie season and just wasn't needed this season, that doesn't take away from his ability to be a decent starter if called upon. Corey Fuller was a 6th round pick in his first year on an active roster, he played admirably for a late round guy put into the 3rd WR role. Theo Riddick is another 6th round pick he doesn't need to be a game changer to be a good pick. Williams and Hepburn mean very little since no one expects a 7th round pick to even make an active roster if the GM has managed to put together a half way decent team. The fact Mayhew found even one out of his two 7th rounders to stick to the practice squad is still a good turnout. Also his UDFAs are another sign of his improved drafting infrastructure and personnel decisions. Your priority UDFAs list is created by your same people that set up your draft board, so hitting one or two those is another sign of improved player evaluation.

I don't excuse Mayhews previous drafts. I look at Mayhew's drafting as something he was obviously bad at overall, but did make very small improvements on over time. The fact he wasn't fired after his third year meant just like with a drafted player your invested in this guy as long as he continues to make improvements and so far he has. It would be way to easy for the Lions to fall into the trap the Raiders, Browns, and Buccs are in of constantly replacing people and just making things different colors of sh!t.

April 27th, 2015, 9:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3