View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 17th, 2018, 2:23 pm



Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Pre draft visits. 
Author Message
Martha Firestone Ford
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 9065
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Pre draft visits.
Gurley is in the house today.


Last edited by TheRealWags on March 16th, 2015, 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fix title



March 16th, 2015, 4:28 pm
Profile
Martha Firestone Ford
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 9065
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Pre draft visits.
Lions hosted Jordan Philips, DT, Oklahoma Sooners today.

First 2 years at OU he played 4-3 DT. The last 2 years he has been a 3-4 NT.

Anyone wants bet we draft him at some point this year? I am not sure what round he is projected to. 2nd? 3rd?


March 17th, 2015, 10:04 pm
Profile
Player of the Year - Offense
User avatar

Joined: August 24th, 2010, 9:54 pm
Posts: 2875
Post Re: Pre draft visits.
I find it encouraging that our pre-draft visits seem to be lining up with what everyone perceives as team needs. Also, recent history shows these visits mean something and aren't just smokescreens.

Quote:
2015 Detroit Lions pre-draft visit tracker
By Sean Yuille  @SeanYuille on Mar 18, 2015, 11:00a 3
http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2015/3/18 ... sits-lions

We're still more than a month away from the 2015 NFL Draft, but the Detroit Lions have already started to ramp up their pre-draft visits. Several players have already stopped by the Lions' facility in Allen Park to meet with the team, and up to 30 players can be hosted for pre-draft visits. Here's a rundown of what players have taken visits so far:

RB Tevin Coleman (Indiana) - March 5
RB Todd Gurley (Georgia) - March 16
OL Antoine Everett (McNeese State) - March 2
OT Donovan Smith (Penn State) - March 10
DL Mario Edwards Jr. (Florida State) - March 4
DT Xavier Cooper (Washington State) - March 3
DT Jordan Phillips (Oklahoma) - March 17
CB Alex Carter (Stanford) - March 11
CB Steven Nelson (Oregon State) - March 17


A visit does not signify that a player will for sure end up with the Lions, but five guys who took pre-draft visits with Detroit last year did end up joining the team (Eric Ebron, Larry Webster, Kyle Van Noy, Nate Freese and Jerome Couplin). Of course, that means that 25 other players visited the Lions and ultimately landed elsewhere in the NFL, but it's always interesting to see who the Lions bring in for their pre-draft visits.

_________________
"Good teams don't worry about a whole lot of stuff. They travel, they play, they win. And it doesn't matter where they go, what the time block is, all those kinds of things. They never seem to bother teams that play well, and we want to be one of those teams." -Jim Caldwell


March 18th, 2015, 12:45 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 10408
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Pre draft visits.
BillySims wrote:
Lions hosted Jordan Philips, DT, Oklahoma Sooners today.

First 2 years at OU he played 4-3 DT. The last 2 years he has been a 3-4 NT.

Anyone wants bet we draft him at some point this year? I am not sure what round he is projected to. 2nd? 3rd?


Late first to mid second rounder. With Ngata and Walker in the fold, the Lions need to think CB or OG in round one.

_________________
I will not put on blinders when it comes to our QBs performances.


March 18th, 2015, 8:30 pm
Profile
Pro Bowl Player

Joined: October 13th, 2005, 9:03 am
Posts: 2490
Post Re: Pre draft visits.
Phillips would fit in perfect with Mayhew's history of drafting players with injury red flags. He had back surgery last season I believe add in him being a taller DT that has trouble getting his pads and he could have major future back issues.


March 18th, 2015, 8:40 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2005, 9:34 pm
Posts: 10982
Location: Sycamore, IL
Post Re: Pre draft visits.
Id like
1 - CB
2 - OG
3 - DT
6 - WR / KR
7 - doesn't matter

_________________
_____
Draft defense - CB, LB, DT, LB...WR/KR
Image


March 18th, 2015, 11:05 pm
Profile
Rookie Player of the Year

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 2352
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: Pre draft visits.
conversion02 wrote:
Id like
1 - CB
2 - OG
3 - DT
6 - WR / KR
7 - doesn't matter


With all the guys they already have at WR I hope they don't draft another until next year once broyles is gone. I don't think a 6th rounder is going to kick any of those guys from the roster. I'd rather see them take another Oline or DT since they may have a chance to stick to the roster even another big CB would be nice since they could sit on the practice squad until someone gets injured as usual.


March 19th, 2015, 12:08 am
Profile
Mr. Irrelevant

Joined: February 10th, 2005, 6:52 pm
Posts: 972
Location: Linden, MI
Post Re: Pre draft visits.
m2karateman wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Lions hosted Jordan Philips, DT, Oklahoma Sooners today.

First 2 years at OU he played 4-3 DT. The last 2 years he has been a 3-4 NT.

Anyone wants bet we draft him at some point this year? I am not sure what round he is projected to. 2nd? 3rd?


Late first to mid second rounder. With Ngata and Walker in the fold, the Lions need to think CB or OG in round one.


So.. Who are these first rd OG prospects that you think the lions should take at 23? OT seems most likely to me if its a lineman on that side. CB would be good also and maybe there's prospects that will fit there. I wouldn't object to another DL here however. I want the best available player that fills one of the big needs at 23. DL CB OL or RB. No pass catchers.

_________________
OK. Schwartz is fired, the fans are happy, now what?


March 21st, 2015, 6:46 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 10408
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Pre draft visits.
jrd66 wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Lions hosted Jordan Philips, DT, Oklahoma Sooners today.

First 2 years at OU he played 4-3 DT. The last 2 years he has been a 3-4 NT.

Anyone wants bet we draft him at some point this year? I am not sure what round he is projected to. 2nd? 3rd?


Late first to mid second rounder. With Ngata and Walker in the fold, the Lions need to think CB or OG in round one.


So.. Who are these first rd OG prospects that you think the lions should take at 23? OT seems most likely to me if its a lineman on that side. CB would be good also and maybe there's prospects that will fit there. I wouldn't object to another DL here however. I want the best available player that fills one of the big needs at 23. DL CB OL or RB. No pass catchers.


Cameron Erving or AJ Cann are first round prospects that are guards. If Erving fell to the Lions, they'd be fools to pass him up. Cann could be a bit of a reach at 23, but he'd represented a big improvement over Sims. In round two, Laken Tomlinson should be selected if he's there for the Lions.

Running back in round one? That's crazy talk.....

_________________
I will not put on blinders when it comes to our QBs performances.


March 21st, 2015, 9:45 am
Profile
NFL Team Captain

Joined: March 21st, 2005, 2:11 pm
Posts: 1621
Location: Wolverine, Mi.
Post Re: Pre draft visits.
Cameron Erving is considered versatile enough to play any of the O-line positions, hence the 1st round value. I don't see any other Guard being worthy of a 1. Was impressed with Laken Tomlinson as well, but he's played only at right guard his college career, don't know if that makes any difference or not. I'd want the Lions to take the best talent at 23 if we can't trade back. If that ends up being a back or even a WR so be it. Don't care what anyone say's we're going to need another RB. Bell will be 29 by seasons start, Riddick is a receiver/back and hasn't impressed running the ball. This is a good year to add a back, lots to choose from.


March 21st, 2015, 1:07 pm
Profile
Mr. Irrelevant

Joined: February 10th, 2005, 6:52 pm
Posts: 972
Location: Linden, MI
Post Re: Pre draft visits.
I like what I've heard about Erving. I guess in my head he was a OT or a C prospect. Guys like Tomlinson and Cann tend to fall on draft day. Rd 1 might prove to be high. I have no objection to a legit rd 1 caliber RB at 23. But this draft is loaded with backs. You could easily wait. Id rather draft a rb high than a pass catcher, but that's my opinion that lots of other don't share.

_________________
OK. Schwartz is fired, the fans are happy, now what?


March 21st, 2015, 9:52 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 10408
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Pre draft visits.
jrd66 wrote:
I like what I've heard about Erving. I guess in my head he was a OT or a C prospect. Guys like Tomlinson and Cann tend to fall on draft day. Rd 1 might prove to be high. I have no objection to a legit rd 1 caliber RB at 23. But this draft is loaded with backs. You could easily wait. Id rather draft a rb high than a pass catcher, but that's my opinion that lots of other don't share.


In reality, I think RB is much more of a need for the team than WR. However, given Calvin's decline and the fact that we usually have two to three WRs on the field at any given time, and add in the increased importance of the passing game to this team, a WR would make more sense as a higher pick. Plus, there are some pretty good backs in this draft that can be hand in the middle rounds (where Mayhew FOOLISHLY traded two picks away).

Having a versatile OLineman like Erving would be awesome. He's a pretty solid player, regardless of position. Given that we need OG and OT, it makes sense. As for other guard prospects, I agree we can wait until rounds two or three. But somehow I fear the Lions will be stupid and wait until later.

_________________
I will not put on blinders when it comes to our QBs performances.


March 22nd, 2015, 2:21 pm
Profile
Mr. Irrelevant

Joined: February 10th, 2005, 6:52 pm
Posts: 972
Location: Linden, MI
Post Re: Pre draft visits.
m2karateman wrote:
jrd66 wrote:
I like what I've heard about Erving. I guess in my head he was a OT or a C prospect. Guys like Tomlinson and Cann tend to fall on draft day. Rd 1 might prove to be high. I have no objection to a legit rd 1 caliber RB at 23. But this draft is loaded with backs. You could easily wait. Id rather draft a rb high than a pass catcher, but that's my opinion that lots of other don't share.


In reality, I think RB is much more of a need for the team than WR. However, given Calvin's decline and the fact that we usually have two to three WRs on the field at any given time, and add in the increased importance of the passing game to this team, a WR would make more sense as a higher pick. Plus, there are some pretty good backs in this draft that can be hand in the middle rounds (where Mayhew FOOLISHLY traded two picks away).

Having a versatile OLineman like Erving would be awesome. He's a pretty solid player, regardless of position. Given that we need OG and OT, it makes sense. As for other guard prospects, I agree we can wait until rounds two or three. But somehow I fear the Lions will be stupid and wait until later.


Well, Mayhew has painted himself into a corner. Clearly he thought he could re sign Suh. He now needs I think 4 guys who can play or develop in a year or so and 3 draft picks to do it with. I liked the Ngata pivot once it was over, but it would be really nice to still have Fairley on board right now, given the rd 4 pick that is gone. I guess he can trade a 2016 pick for a rd 3 or rd 4 this year perhaps. I guess you can perhaps trade back in rd 1 a bit and get some picks. That represents a lot of ifs, and hope is not a plan.

As far as RB vs WR, I am always willing to spend higher picks when warranted on a RB than a WR. I think they have much more impact on the opposing defense than a WR or a TE for that matter. This year shows the absolute stupidity of drafting a TE in the top 10, as now you are in a hole with a guy who just isn't very good and wouldn't impact the game much even if he was a real talent.

One of the position groups we think needs a new young player will have to get that guy from round 6 back or a UDFA find like Waddle perhaps. The Lions are in a tough spot now, needing so many players to step in and start or play a lot from their next draft.

_________________
OK. Schwartz is fired, the fans are happy, now what?


March 22nd, 2015, 6:29 pm
Profile
Rookie Player of the Year

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 2352
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: Pre draft visits.
jrd66 wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
jrd66 wrote:
I like what I've heard about Erving. I guess in my head he was a OT or a C prospect. Guys like Tomlinson and Cann tend to fall on draft day. Rd 1 might prove to be high. I have no objection to a legit rd 1 caliber RB at 23. But this draft is loaded with backs. You could easily wait. Id rather draft a rb high than a pass catcher, but that's my opinion that lots of other don't share.


In reality, I think RB is much more of a need for the team than WR. However, given Calvin's decline and the fact that we usually have two to three WRs on the field at any given time, and add in the increased importance of the passing game to this team, a WR would make more sense as a higher pick. Plus, there are some pretty good backs in this draft that can be hand in the middle rounds (where Mayhew FOOLISHLY traded two picks away).

Having a versatile OLineman like Erving would be awesome. He's a pretty solid player, regardless of position. Given that we need OG and OT, it makes sense. As for other guard prospects, I agree we can wait until rounds two or three. But somehow I fear the Lions will be stupid and wait until later.


Well, Mayhew has painted himself into a corner. Clearly he thought he could re sign Suh. He now needs I think 4 guys who can play or develop in a year or so and 3 draft picks to do it with. I liked the Ngata pivot once it was over, but it would be really nice to still have Fairley on board right now, given the rd 4 pick that is gone. I guess he can trade a 2016 pick for a rd 3 or rd 4 this year perhaps. I guess you can perhaps trade back in rd 1 a bit and get some picks. That represents a lot of ifs, and hope is not a plan.

As far as RB vs WR, I am always willing to spend higher picks when warranted on a RB than a WR. I think they have much more impact on the opposing defense than a WR or a TE for that matter. This year shows the absolute stupidity of drafting a TE in the top 10, as now you are in a hole with a guy who just isn't very good and wouldn't impact the game much even if he was a real talent.

One of the position groups we think needs a new young player will have to get that guy from round 6 back or a UDFA find like Waddle perhaps. The Lions are in a tough spot now, needing so many players to step in and start or play a lot from their next draft.


How is he in a corner? They have one hole in the roster that needs to be filled at LG. CB could also be considered a priority since Mathis is 35, but they just drafted Lawson last year. Those are the only two spots they need to get right now. Everywhere else they have options on keeping the players they have there for at least one more season after this one to draft and develop someone.


March 22nd, 2015, 11:16 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 10408
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Pre draft visits.
rao wrote:
jrd66 wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
jrd66 wrote:
I like what I've heard about Erving. I guess in my head he was a OT or a C prospect. Guys like Tomlinson and Cann tend to fall on draft day. Rd 1 might prove to be high. I have no objection to a legit rd 1 caliber RB at 23. But this draft is loaded with backs. You could easily wait. Id rather draft a rb high than a pass catcher, but that's my opinion that lots of other don't share.


In reality, I think RB is much more of a need for the team than WR. However, given Calvin's decline and the fact that we usually have two to three WRs on the field at any given time, and add in the increased importance of the passing game to this team, a WR would make more sense as a higher pick. Plus, there are some pretty good backs in this draft that can be hand in the middle rounds (where Mayhew FOOLISHLY traded two picks away).

Having a versatile OLineman like Erving would be awesome. He's a pretty solid player, regardless of position. Given that we need OG and OT, it makes sense. As for other guard prospects, I agree we can wait until rounds two or three. But somehow I fear the Lions will be stupid and wait until later.


Well, Mayhew has painted himself into a corner. Clearly he thought he could re sign Suh. He now needs I think 4 guys who can play or develop in a year or so and 3 draft picks to do it with. I liked the Ngata pivot once it was over, but it would be really nice to still have Fairley on board right now, given the rd 4 pick that is gone. I guess he can trade a 2016 pick for a rd 3 or rd 4 this year perhaps. I guess you can perhaps trade back in rd 1 a bit and get some picks. That represents a lot of ifs, and hope is not a plan.

As far as RB vs WR, I am always willing to spend higher picks when warranted on a RB than a WR. I think they have much more impact on the opposing defense than a WR or a TE for that matter. This year shows the absolute stupidity of drafting a TE in the top 10, as now you are in a hole with a guy who just isn't very good and wouldn't impact the game much even if he was a real talent.

One of the position groups we think needs a new young player will have to get that guy from round 6 back or a UDFA find like Waddle perhaps. The Lions are in a tough spot now, needing so many players to step in and start or play a lot from their next draft.


How is he in a corner? They have one hole in the roster that needs to be filled at LG. CB could also be considered a priority since Mathis is 35, but they just drafted Lawson last year. Those are the only two spots they need to get right now. Everywhere else they have options on keeping the players they have there for at least one more season after this one to draft and develop someone.


Lawson is not a starter. He's essentially going to still be a rookie, since he barely played before he went on IR. We still have needs at LG, DT, RB, WR and to a lesser extent DE and OT. But not by much less. We have players at every position, if you want to look at it that way. But we have several areas that need improvement for this team to return to the playoffs. Mathis being back helps, but can the team really rely on a 35 year old starter at corner? Is Lucas or Waddle reliable enough to start and play well at RT? Will Calvin continue to struggle with injuries? Beyond Tate, nobody at WR is worth a damn. I had high hopes for Fuller, but he's shown nothing. Ross is pedestrian at best as a receiver.

_________________
I will not put on blinders when it comes to our QBs performances.


March 23rd, 2015, 5:29 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.