View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 17th, 2018, 11:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Pre draft visits. 
Rookie Player of the Year

Post Re: Pre draft visits.
m2karateman wrote:
rao wrote:
jrd66 wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
jrd66 wrote:
I like what I've heard about Erving. I guess in my head he was a OT or a C prospect. Guys like Tomlinson and Cann tend to fall on draft day. Rd 1 might prove to be high. I have no objection to a legit rd 1 caliber RB at 23. But this draft is loaded with backs. You could easily wait. Id rather draft a rb high than a pass catcher, but that's my opinion that lots of other don't share.

In reality, I think RB is much more of a need for the team than WR. However, given Calvin's decline and the fact that we usually have two to three WRs on the field at any given time, and add in the increased importance of the passing game to this team, a WR would make more sense as a higher pick. Plus, there are some pretty good backs in this draft that can be hand in the middle rounds (where Mayhew FOOLISHLY traded two picks away).

Having a versatile OLineman like Erving would be awesome. He's a pretty solid player, regardless of position. Given that we need OG and OT, it makes sense. As for other guard prospects, I agree we can wait until rounds two or three. But somehow I fear the Lions will be stupid and wait until later.

Well, Mayhew has painted himself into a corner. Clearly he thought he could re sign Suh. He now needs I think 4 guys who can play or develop in a year or so and 3 draft picks to do it with. I liked the Ngata pivot once it was over, but it would be really nice to still have Fairley on board right now, given the rd 4 pick that is gone. I guess he can trade a 2016 pick for a rd 3 or rd 4 this year perhaps. I guess you can perhaps trade back in rd 1 a bit and get some picks. That represents a lot of ifs, and hope is not a plan.

As far as RB vs WR, I am always willing to spend higher picks when warranted on a RB than a WR. I think they have much more impact on the opposing defense than a WR or a TE for that matter. This year shows the absolute stupidity of drafting a TE in the top 10, as now you are in a hole with a guy who just isn't very good and wouldn't impact the game much even if he was a real talent.

One of the position groups we think needs a new young player will have to get that guy from round 6 back or a UDFA find like Waddle perhaps. The Lions are in a tough spot now, needing so many players to step in and start or play a lot from their next draft.

How is he in a corner? They have one hole in the roster that needs to be filled at LG. CB could also be considered a priority since Mathis is 35, but they just drafted Lawson last year. Those are the only two spots they need to get right now. Everywhere else they have options on keeping the players they have there for at least one more season after this one to draft and develop someone.

Lawson is not a starter. He's essentially going to still be a rookie, since he barely played before he went on IR. We still have needs at LG, DT, RB, WR and to a lesser extent DE and OT. But not by much less. We have players at every position, if you want to look at it that way. But we have several areas that need improvement for this team to return to the playoffs. Mathis being back helps, but can the team really rely on a 35 year old starter at corner? Is Lucas or Waddle reliable enough to start and play well at RT? Will Calvin continue to struggle with injuries? Beyond Tate, nobody at WR is worth a damn. I had high hopes for Fuller, but he's shown nothing. Ross is pedestrian at best as a receiver.

They don't have a need at DE, they have Johnson, Ansah, Jones, Taylor, Webster, and Tapp. Those guys were good enough to get pressure with Suh drawing double teams and they will get the same thing with Ngata. The team will see less sacks from the interior, but we also shouldn't see the breakdowns in the middle anymore either.

I think the right side will be fine if Warford is healthy and Lombardi has figured out what went wrong last season. I don't think signing some rookie or vet OT for that matter is going to fix the problems from last season, no one seemed to know what they were doing.

What does it matter if Lawson is going to be like a rookie this season if you just want to draft a rookie anyways? The team is going to be relying on Mathis whether they draft a guy or don't. I hope they do get someone because it will be nice to see them with 2 young prospects to play along side Slay, but its not going to be a season breaker if they don't.

The way the team is right now it's not much different than last season and if this staff is actually doing their jobs then the team should play better overall even if the defense takes a small dip with the loss of Suh. The only notable losses for the team was at DT, every thing else is a wash at worst. Adding 3 more guys in this draft is enough to help fill out the roster and get some more youth in. With how many of the 2nd string and vet guys they decided to bring back or keep for their last year, I wouldn't be surprised if they are trying to have a thin draft year. They had a great draft in 2013 and even though you don't like last years draft I think the coaching staff does. They can't fit more 4th and later guys onto the roster without cutting some of the prospects they still feel are progressing.

March 23rd, 2015, 6:09 pm
NFL Team Captain

rao wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
rao wrote:
jrd66 wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
jrd66 wrote:
I like what I've heard about Erving. I guess in my head he was a OT or a C prospect. Guys like Tomlinson and Cann tend to fall on draft day. Rd 1 might prove to be high. I have no objection to a legit rd 1 caliber RB at 23. But this draft is loaded with backs. You could easily wait. Id rather draft a rb high than a pass catcher, but that's my opinion that lots of other don't share.

In reality, I think RB is much more of a need for the team than WR. However, given Calvin's decline and the fact that we usually have two to three WRs on the field at any given time, and add in the increased importance of the passing game to this team, a WR would make more sense as a higher pick. Plus, there are some pretty good backs in this draft that can be hand in the middle rounds (where Mayhew FOOLISHLY traded two picks away).

Having a versatile OLineman like Erving would be awesome. He's a pretty solid player, regardless of position. Given that we need OG and OT, it makes sense. As for other guard prospects, I agree we can wait until rounds two or three. But somehow I fear the Lions will be stupid and wait until later.

Well, Mayhew has painted himself into a corner. Clearly he thought he could re sign Suh. He now needs I think 4 guys who can play or develop in a year or so and 3 draft picks to do it with. I liked the Ngata pivot once it was over, but it would be really nice to still have Fairley on board right now, given the rd 4 pick that is gone. I guess he can trade a 2016 pick for a rd 3 or rd 4 this year perhaps. I guess you can perhaps trade back in rd 1 a bit and get some picks. That represents a lot of ifs, and hope is not a plan.

As far as RB vs WR, I am always willing to spend higher picks when warranted on a RB than a WR. I think they have much more impact on the opposing defense than a WR or a TE for that matter. This year shows the absolute stupidity of drafting a TE in the top 10, as now you are in a hole with a guy who just isn't very good and wouldn't impact the game much even if he was a real talent.

One of the position groups we think needs a new young player will have to get that guy from round 6 back or a UDFA find like Waddle perhaps. The Lions are in a tough spot now, needing so many players to step in and start or play a lot from their next draft.

How is he in a corner? They have one hole in the roster that needs to be filled at LG. CB could also be considered a priority since Mathis is 35, but they just drafted Lawson last year. Those are the only two spots they need to get right now. Everywhere else they have options on keeping the players they have there for at least one more season after this one to draft and develop someone.

Lawson is not a starter. He's essentially going to still be a rookie, since he barely played before he went on IR. We still have needs at LG, DT, RB, WR and to a lesser extent DE and OT. But not by much less. We have players at every position, if you want to look at it that way. But we have several areas that need improvement for this team to return to the playoffs. Mathis being back helps, but can the team really rely on a 35 year old starter at corner? Is Lucas or Waddle reliable enough to start and play well at RT? Will Calvin continue to struggle with injuries? Beyond Tate, nobody at WR is worth a damn. I had high hopes for Fuller, but he's shown nothing. Ross is pedestrian at best as a receiver.

They don't have a need at DE, they have Johnson, Ansah, Jones, Taylor, Webster, and Tapp. Those guys were good enough to get pressure with Suh drawing double teams and they will get the same thing with Ngata. The team will see less sacks from the interior, but we also shouldn't see the breakdowns in the middle anymore either.

I think the right side will be fine if Warford is healthy and Lombardi has figured out what went wrong last season. I don't think signing some rookie or vet OT for that matter is going to fix the problems from last season, no one seemed to know what they were doing.

What does it matter if Lawson is going to be like a rookie this season if you just want to draft a rookie anyways? The team is going to be relying on Mathis whether they draft a guy or don't. I hope they do get someone because it will be nice to see them with 2 young prospects to play along side Slay, but its not going to be a season breaker if they don't.

The way the team is right now it's not much different than last season and if this staff is actually doing their jobs then the team should play better overall even if the defense takes a small dip with the loss of Suh. The only notable losses for the team was at DT, every thing else is a wash at worst. Adding 3 more guys in this draft is enough to help fill out the roster and get some more youth in. With how many of the 2nd string and vet guys they decided to bring back or keep for their last year, I wouldn't be surprised if they are trying to have a thin draft year. They had a great draft in 2013 and even though you don't like last years draft I think the coaching staff does. They can't fit more 4th and later guys onto the roster without cutting some of the prospects they still feel are progressing.

" I wouldn't be surprised if they are trying to have a thin draft year "

Seems to me Mayhew doesn't have to try hard to accomplish that feat. It's pretty much an every year occurrence.

March 23rd, 2015, 6:52 pm
RIP Killer

rao wrote:

I sort of disagree. I don't think DE is a high need, but Jones is not much of a pass rusher, Tyalor showed virtually nothing, Tapp is a backup and as a situational rusher is lacking, and Webster is still pretty much an unknown. If in the first or second round the Lions don't have a player to choose that fills an immediate need, getting a talented pass rusher would be the smart thing to do. And Johnson is still a free agent.

rao wrote:

Injuries are part of the game. Rookie linemen are capable of coming in and making a difference. Ask the Cowboys. Waddle and Warford being hurt at the same time didn't help. But having depth on the offensive line, particularly by getting someone who can play multiple positions, is a smart move. I agree that a big part of the issue last season was the blocking scheme. I said that from day one. But keeping players healthy doesn't always happen. Besides, Reiff will have his contract year coming up, and you never know if the Lions will be able to afford him.

rao wrote:

Lawson was a fourth rounder. In cornerbacks, you typically find a HUGE drop off in talent once the first few guys are off the board. Lawson is nothing special. You don't always draft for right now. Draft for the future. We can't keep Mathis forever. The Lions NEED to draft a CB, and it should be in the first two rounds. They've ignored that position long enough, and it shows.

rao wrote:

If you can upgrade, upgrade. Prospects 'progressing' doesn't mean squat. Corey Fuller and Jeremy Ross have had two seasons to progress. Stated bluntly, they suck as depth players. The Lions need more quality depth. Is TJ Jones the answer? We don't know, so don't count on it. Our O-line depth is sketchy, at best. Our depth at defensive tackle is non-existant. Literally, non-existant. We have two corners coming off season ending injuries, and both are slated as strictly nickel or dime corners. Our second starter is 35 years old, and nobody on the roster outside of Slay is good enough to step in as a starter if one of our two starting level CBs go down to injury.

The really good teams have really good depth. The Lions don't have that. They have little at O-line, less at RB, little at WR, none at DT, and little at CB.
Mayhew's f-ed up drafting is part of the reason. The other reason is because of the poor contract management that sees two players accounting for so much of the payroll.

March 24th, 2015, 8:40 pm

m2karateman wrote:
I sort of disagree. I don't think DE is a high need, but Jones is not much of a pass rusher, Tyalor showed virtually nothing, Tapp is a backup and as a situational rusher is lacking, and Webster is still pretty much an unknown. If in the first or second round the Lions don't have a player to choose that fills an immediate need, getting a talented pass rusher would be the smart thing to do. And Johnson is still a free agent.

I agree getting another talented pass rusher would be nice but it's not a need immediate or otherwise. Taylor showed what he could do at DE in 2013 and its the same as Jones does right now, set the edge and close the pocket. Taylor just never needed to see the field because Jones was solid at DE and was already getting spelled by Johnson when they wanted to pressure the passer. Johnson is a tendered RFA, so he can be penciled into the roster.

m2karateman wrote:
Injuries are part of the game. Rookie linemen are capable of coming in and making a difference. Ask the Cowboys. Waddle and Warford being hurt at the same time didn't help. But having depth on the offensive line, particularly by getting someone who can play multiple positions, is a smart move. I agree that a big part of the issue last season was the blocking scheme. I said that from day one. But keeping players healthy doesn't always happen. Besides, Reiff will have his contract year coming up, and you never know if the Lions will be able to afford him.

I agreed the OG position should be a priority pick, but for depth the Lions would be better served to look at cheap vets released after June 1st. They already have multiple young players on the line and after adding another one this draft anymore would be overkill. Ideally they bring in a vet OG/OC, a rookie OG/OT, and one more vet that can move around the line.

m2karateman wrote:
Lawson was a fourth rounder. In cornerbacks, you typically find a HUGE drop off in talent once the first few guys are off the board. Lawson is nothing special. You don't always draft for right now. Draft for the future. We can't keep Mathis forever. The Lions NEED to draft a CB, and it should be in the first two rounds. They've ignored that position long enough, and it shows.

Lawson doesn't need to be special, he just needs to be a solid Nickle that can fill outside if an injury happens. He's very similar to Ladarius Webb in body type and athleticism, so I like to think Austin can make him into a poor mans version of Webb. Just good enough to fill in and play Nickle will be good results for a 4th rounder. Again I think CB would be a great place to look in the draft especially in the one of the first 2 rounds, but I also think they can match their performance from last season without getting one. If they were to skip one this season, they can just look to add one in the first round next year and start him. The Lions made things work with Mathis, Slay, and guys off the street last season.

m2karateman wrote:
If you can upgrade, upgrade. Prospects 'progressing' doesn't mean squat. Corey Fuller and Jeremy Ross have had two seasons to progress. Stated bluntly, they suck as depth players. The Lions need more quality depth. Is TJ Jones the answer? We don't know, so don't count on it. Our O-line depth is sketchy, at best. Our depth at defensive tackle is non-existant. Literally, non-existant. We have two corners coming off season ending injuries, and both are slated as strictly nickel or dime corners. Our second starter is 35 years old, and nobody on the roster outside of Slay is good enough to step in as a starter if one of our two starting level CBs go down to injury.

The really good teams have really good depth. The Lions don't have that. They have little at O-line, less at RB, little at WR, none at DT, and little at CB.
Mayhew's f-ed up drafting is part of the reason. The other reason is because of the poor contract management that sees two players accounting for so much of the payroll.

You can't know if your upgrading if you are just cutting 2nd year guys that never got playing time for rookies that have never played in the NFL. You have to give your picks time to develop or your just trying to win the lotto with multiple picks every year. Fuller has only had one season on the field and Ross is a return specialist that is just brought on the field as a 4th option. They are suitable depth guys if Stafford plays to his abilities. There is plenty of ways and time for the team to add more depth to the team. There are barely any teams in the NFL with a 3rd CB that can actually say they are ready to start in place of their starter going down. When a teams starting CB goes downs they are always rolling the dice on some unknown prospect or some off the street vet. Seattle just plays whoever their next 6th round DB happens to be. The Patriots didn't have anyone to fill in for Browner or Revis.

The Lions have good depth at DE, LB, Safety, and TE. Even the best teams have little at CB. I don't believe WR is an issue of depth with them adding Tate last season. The Oline and Dline can be completed easily with low cost free agents or the draft. RB is probably only a draft option unless someone gets released. This started with me replying to the remark that Mayhew was stuck in a corner, but I don't see it. He has a load of different ways to approach the rest of the offseason and come out with a good team that can compete again for playoffs. Whether he screws it up is the real question and given his first 3 years and these last 2 it's probably a coin flip as to which way it goes.

March 25th, 2015, 11:06 am
RIP Killer

rao wrote:
I agree getting another talented pass rusher would be nice but it's not a need immediate or otherwise. Taylor showed what he could do at DE in 2013 and its the same as Jones does right now, set the edge and close the pocket. Taylor just never needed to see the field because Jones was solid at DE and was already getting spelled by Johnson when they wanted to pressure the passer. Johnson is a tendered RFA, so he can be penciled into the roster.

If you look at my original post, I said that the Lions have needs at DE and OT 'to a lesser extent'. That means if one falls to them that is too good to pass up, don't pass him up. But I don't think DE is a position of need, certainly not in the first couple rounds. Maybe round three. And Jason Jones will likely be spending more time at DT than DE this year, because we are so desperately thin at DT, at least right now. Same thing with OT. Essentially we need to think about right tackle after Waddle had a very rough sophomore season. Does he return healthy and playing like the second half of his rookie year? We can't count on that. And there's always the idea that if we get a tackle, we slide Waddle inside to RG. He can play OT or OG. There are a few mid round players who played OT as college starters, but would be best to move inside.

rao wrote:
I agreed the OG position should be a priority pick, but for depth the Lions would be better served to look at cheap vets released after June 1st. They already have multiple young players on the line and after adding another one this draft anymore would be overkill. Ideally they bring in a vet OG/OC, a rookie OG/OT, and one more vet that can move around the line.

I'm not talking about getting a depth player. I am saying to draft a starter at OG. Rodney Austin can play OG or OC. That's our backup guy. I think he's a better player than most give him credit for. But we should start trying to groom for the future if we can, not sign guys for a year or two as stop gaps. The offensive lines that have played together for years are the ones who excel. Revolving doors on the offensive line don't equate to great play.

rao wrote:
Lawson doesn't need to be special, he just needs to be a solid Nickle that can fill outside if an injury happens. He's very similar to Ladarius Webb in body type and athleticism, so I like to think Austin can make him into a poor mans version of Webb. Just good enough to fill in and play Nickle will be good results for a 4th rounder. Again I think CB would be a great place to look in the draft especially in the one of the first 2 rounds, but I also think they can match their performance from last season without getting one. If they were to skip one this season, they can just look to add one in the first round next year and start him. The Lions made things work with Mathis, Slay, and guys off the street last season.

The Lions need a starter. Just plugging in a guy who is a 'solid nickle' player doesn't work most of the time. And first year cornerbacks are notoriously bad. There is definitely a high learning curve there. If the Lions wait until they MUST draft a corner, then they end up reaching, and have a year where the guy gets destroyed as a starter. With Mathis still here, NOW is the time to get that future starter. Not later, now.

rao wrote:
You can't know if your upgrading if you are just cutting 2nd year guys that never got playing time for rookies that have never played in the NFL. You have to give your picks time to develop or your just trying to win the lotto with multiple picks every year. Fuller has only had one season on the field and Ross is a return specialist that is just brought on the field as a 4th option. They are suitable depth guys if Stafford plays to his abilities. There is plenty of ways and time for the team to add more depth to the team. There are barely any teams in the NFL with a 3rd CB that can actually say they are ready to start in place of their starter going down. When a teams starting CB goes downs they are always rolling the dice on some unknown prospect or some off the street vet. Seattle just plays whoever their next 6th round DB happens to be. The Patriots didn't have anyone to fill in for Browner or Revis.

The Lions have good depth at DE, LB, Safety, and TE. Even the best teams have little at CB. I don't believe WR is an issue of depth with them adding Tate last season. The Oline and Dline can be completed easily with low cost free agents or the draft. RB is probably only a draft option unless someone gets released. This started with me replying to the remark that Mayhew was stuck in a corner, but I don't see it. He has a load of different ways to approach the rest of the offseason and come out with a good team that can compete again for playoffs. Whether he screws it up is the real question and given his first 3 years and these last 2 it's probably a coin flip as to which way it goes.

Who said anything about cutting guys? I never said cut any of them. But let them compete for their spots, not just hand it to them. Fuller had one full season, and instead of blossoming down the stretch, he faded. That's not a good sign. Ross has had more than one season to emerge as a receiver. He hasn't, and his return skills are pedestrian. And there are plenty of teams that have two good starters at CB, and a very capable reserve corner as well. Our cornerback corps is made up of: a very promising player entering his third year, but who has taken the reins as the primary cover guy, a 35 year old corner as the second starter, a pair of players coming off major season ending injuries, one of them who was a rookie and the other who lacks ideal height, and the fifth cornerback is a carousel of people you've barely ever heard of. I think an infusion of young talent would be warranted.

March 27th, 2015, 6:24 pm
RIP Killer

Det Lions wrote:
Lions host defensive tackle Carl Davis

The Lions hosted their sixth defensive tackle on a pre-draft visit -- Iowa's Carl Davis.

It just so happened that Carl Davis’ pre-draft visit in Allen Park on Monday coincided with the start of the Lions’ voluntary offseason training program.

That mean Davis and former Iowa teammate Riley Reiff got to catch up a bit.

“I got to run into Riley Reiff and it was nice having guys in the building,” said Davis, who grew up in Metro Detroit and played football at Sterling Heights Stevenson High School.

“I’m from (Detroit) so to see the guys I watch and I'm a fan of a little bit is cool.”

When it comes to the Lions’ defense, they feed off stopping the run, so it’s no surprise they wanted to take a closer look at Davis (6-5, 320) in the pre-draft process.

A two-year starter at defensive tackle, he started all 13 games in 2014 and recorded 36 tackles (14 solo), nine tackles for loss and two sacks. He also recovered a fumble.

He started 13 games as a junior and finished the 2013 season with 42 tackles (11 solo), four tackles for loss and 1.5 sacks.

Davis has been a big, physical presence along the Hawkeyes’ defensive line the last two seasons and one of the best run-stuffing interior lineman in the Big-Ten over that span.

“I played the one (technique) and the three,” he told detroitlions.com while on his visit. “Just tried to make plays. Just tried to eat up blockers and try to knock guys back and try to play physical football.”

After losing Ndamukong Suh in free agency, the Lions traded for Haloti Ngata and signed Tyrunn Walker, but they're still in need of both talent and depth upfront along their defensive line.

Davis said a scheme like Detroit's would be fun to play in.

“Really understanding how this defense works, everything starts upfront with very physical play from the defensive line,” he said. “Watching film upstairs with coach (Kris Kocurek) I kind of got excited to come here because I feel this is the type of defense I can play in and I really feel I can come here and make an impact.”

Caruan Reid, a fifth-round pick last year, is expected to be among the players fighting to become part of the Lions defensive tackle rotation, along with Jermelle Cudjo, Roy Philon and Xavier Proctor, but expect the team to add to that group early in the draft.

Davis is expected to come off the board somewhere in the second round by most draft analysts.

He was named by an NFL Network panel of NFL scouts as the Senior Bowl's most outstanding practice player back in January. He also had a good Pro Day in Iowa earlier this month where he put up 28 reps on the bench press and moved well in drills.

Davis is the sixth defensive lineman the Lions have hosted on a pre-draft visit. They’ve also brought in Xavier Cooper (Washington State), Mario Edwards (Florida State), Jordan Phillips (Oklahoma), Angelo Blackson (Auburn) and Marcus Hardison (Arizona State).

April 21st, 2015, 10:02 am
Profile WWW

Davis would be nice protection for an injury to Ngata since they really don't have any options at the nose after Ngata. If something happened to Walker, Jones and Reid could combo to fill in. It looks really bleak with the current roster if Ngata were to go down.

April 21st, 2015, 11:25 am
Pro Bowl Player

I Agree, Gotta get that Backup for Ngata now, to protect from Injury risk and prepare for the eventual future. He is 1 of the best, so let him mentor someone while also kicking but for us.

April 21st, 2015, 11:53 am
Profile ICQ WWW
5th Round Pick - Traded

Can someone explain to me why this coaching staff is so friggin' high on Fuller??? That guy didn't do a GD thing last season and all they talk about is how he kept improving? He barely did squat and you've got a guy on the bench in Broyles who can actually get separation that's just sitting there being a wasted roster spot. My God. I'm not saying Broyles was going to be some kind of savior but how could he have done anything less than Fuller with the same amount of playing time?

April 21st, 2015, 7:56 pm
Player of the Year - Offense

Footsoldier32 wrote:
Can someone explain to me why this coaching staff is so friggin' high on Fuller??? That guy didn't do a GD thing last season and all they talk about is how he kept improving? He barely did squat and you've got a guy on the bench in Broyles who can actually get separation that's just sitting there being a wasted roster spot. My God. I'm not saying Broyles was going to be some kind of savior but how could he have done anything less than Fuller with the same amount of playing time?

They kept him because he had a strong preseason.

His job is to take the top off a defense. Broyles is a possession guy, in the style of Tate.

"Good teams don't worry about a whole lot of stuff. They travel, they play, they win. And it doesn't matter where they go, what the time block is, all those kinds of things. They never seem to bother teams that play well, and we want to be one of those teams." -Jim Caldwell

April 21st, 2015, 8:09 pm
NFL Team Captain

Fuller was a late round prayer that has developed somewhat. Not enough in my opinion. Broyles was flat-out another one of Mayhew's draft day brain-farts. Hopefully the good news going forward will be Caldwells influence on selections. I believe he will have a better feel for what this team needs to improve.
Maybe we'll get lucky with some trade back opportunities. We need the extra picks badly, although I wouldn't be surprised if Mayhew ignores whats best for the future, opting for making a splash right now.
With all the light that's been shed on his pispoor draft record recently, he needs an impact first pick at the very least. His job is on the line if Ithe Lions have a bad season, and with the schedule they have it will be awfully tough to make the playoffs without a huge improvement on offense.

April 22nd, 2015, 9:41 pm
National Champion

rao wrote:
Davis would be nice protection for an injury to Ngata since they really don't have any options at the nose after Ngata. If something happened to Walker, Jones and Reid could combo to fill in. It looks really bleak with the current roster if Ngata were to go down.

Bleak is an understatement. Even with Jones playing inside with Ngata, the depth is concerning. CJ Mosley is gone because of his marijuana arrest and Caldwell's intolerance of nonsense.

I had a strong feeling since last off-season that Suh didn't want to stay in Detroit longer than he had to. You will never find a player who genuinely wants to stay on their first team who puts off an extension for that long, unless there are other problems within the team, which was not the case. Fairley should be a Lion this season, instead of us counting on Ngata, with respect, considering his age, to stay healthy all season or else it could be disastrous.

Considering the number of DTs we've looked at, I would like a trade-down into the early 2nd and to pick the best DT on the board. OL will already be better with Swanson replacing Raiola, and hopeful restored health on the right side.

April 23rd, 2015, 5:33 am

liontrax wrote:
Fuller was a late round prayer that has developed somewhat. Not enough in my opinion. Broyles was flat-out another one of Mayhew's draft day brain-farts. Hopefully the good news going forward will be Caldwells influence on selections. I believe he will have a better feel for what this team needs to improve.
Maybe we'll get lucky with some trade back opportunities. We need the extra picks badly, although I wouldn't be surprised if Mayhew ignores whats best for the future, opting for making a splash right now.
With all the light that's been shed on his pispoor draft record recently, he needs an impact first pick at the very least. His job is on the line if Ithe Lions have a bad season, and with the schedule they have it will be awfully tough to make the playoffs without a huge improvement on offense.

This false narrative has to stop. Mayhews best draft was when he took the coaches out of the equation. Everyones most hated pick last draft was Lombardi's influence, the coaches aren't the solution to better drafting by Mayhew. What helped him was listening to his scouting team after they revamped their data sorting and collection system. Mayhew always drafts with the future in mind, he has passed on block buster trade ups multiple times because he didn't feel the cost was manageable. It would be way out of character for him to sack the future for a big splash this year and I personally hope he continues to keep the coaches influence to a minimum like 2013.

April 23rd, 2015, 8:13 am

Shotty wrote:
rao wrote:

Bleak is an understatement. Even with Jones playing inside with Ngata, the depth is concerning. CJ Mosley is gone because of his marijuana arrest and Caldwell's intolerance of nonsense.

I had a strong feeling since last off-season that Suh didn't want to stay in Detroit longer than he had to. You will never find a player who genuinely wants to stay on their first team who puts off an extension for that long, unless there are other problems within the team, which was not the case. Fairley should be a Lion this season, instead of us counting on Ngata, with respect, considering his age, to stay healthy all season or else it could be disastrous.

Considering the number of DTs we've looked at, I would like a trade-down into the early 2nd and to pick the best DT on the board. OL will already be better with Swanson replacing Raiola, and hopeful restored health on the right side.

Fairley has a history of slacking off and injuries. He only played 8 games last season and it was the first time he ever gave his all for every game he was on the field. Whether Fairley was a Lion or not didn't change the fact they were going to trade for Ngata and have to depend on him this season. Even if Fairley was on the team and Ngata went down, without another NT on the team the dline would not be in a good way with only Walker, Fairley, and Jones as options. Teams would be able to run right through the middle of that group pretty easily and it would look like Schwartz's defense all over again.

April 23rd, 2015, 8:32 am
NFL Team Captain

rao wrote:
liontrax wrote:

This false narrative has to stop. Mayhews best draft was when he took the coaches out of the equation. Everyones most hated pick last draft was Lombardi's influence, the coaches aren't the solution to better drafting by Mayhew. What helped him was listening to his scouting team after they revamped their data sorting and collection system. Mayhew always drafts with the future in mind, he has passed on block buster trade ups multiple times because he didn't feel the cost was manageable. It would be way out of character for him to sack the future for a big splash this year and I personally hope he continues to keep the coaches influence to a minimum like 2013.

WRONG! 2013 was the year we coached the Senior Bowl, after an illustrious 4 win season. Our coaches got first hand knowledge on Ziggy and Warford. I believe that had a lot to do with their selection on draft day.
I'm not normally in favor of a head coach having an abundance of influence on draft decisions, but in the Lions war room a different perspective couldn't hurt.

April 23rd, 2015, 10:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next