View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 14th, 2018, 7:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Lael Collins 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Lael Collins
rao wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
La'el Collins and his agent have pretty much killed his NFL career hopes. His declaration that if he didn't get drafted in rounds two or three, he would refuse to sign a contract and re-enter in 2016 just killed his chances with ANY team (except maybe the Cowboys, but they don't need offensive linemen).

You don't tell the NFL what your terms are for being drafted. That's a sure fire way to have the NFL turn its back on you. He needs them, they don't need him.

If that was his agents idea, Collins should fire his agent, today. If it was Collins idea, his agent should have explained to him the stupidity of making that statement.

If he's innocent, he may get a shot with someone. But his attitude is gonna be looked at as an issue, and some teams will refuse to have anything to do with him based on that, not just the crime.

I agree with you M2k, but I'm betting his phone will still be ringing off the hook with teams trying to sign him as a UDFA. There is no risk for a team and he has so much talent teams will ignore the attitude until it shows up in the locker room. Also I think you would have to consider the frustration and stress this would be putting him under if he really is just collateral damage.

Yeah, I'm sure that is the case. The question is, how serious is Collins about sitting out? I still say it was a very foolish statement to make. His agent should have known better. I am faulting the agent far more than Collins.

May 2nd, 2015, 10:33 am
Rookie Player of the Year

m2karateman wrote:
rao wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
La'el Collins and his agent have pretty much killed his NFL career hopes. His declaration that if he didn't get drafted in rounds two or three, he would refuse to sign a contract and re-enter in 2016 just killed his chances with ANY team (except maybe the Cowboys, but they don't need offensive linemen).

You don't tell the NFL what your terms are for being drafted. That's a sure fire way to have the NFL turn its back on you. He needs them, they don't need him.

If that was his agents idea, Collins should fire his agent, today. If it was Collins idea, his agent should have explained to him the stupidity of making that statement.

If he's innocent, he may get a shot with someone. But his attitude is gonna be looked at as an issue, and some teams will refuse to have anything to do with him based on that, not just the crime.

I agree with you M2k, but I'm betting his phone will still be ringing off the hook with teams trying to sign him as a UDFA. There is no risk for a team and he has so much talent teams will ignore the attitude until it shows up in the locker room. Also I think you would have to consider the frustration and stress this would be putting him under if he really is just collateral damage.

Yeah, I'm sure that is the case. The question is, how serious is Collins about sitting out? I still say it was a very foolish statement to make. His agent should have known better. I am faulting the agent far more than Collins.

I'm with you this really seems like total failure in the agent to correctly advise his client. When an issue is so polarizing with it happening so close to the Hernandez trial, Collins should have never been allowed to take any kind of adversarial stance with the league. He should be taking a humble persona and connecting with the league for help in getting his name cleared. Teams love good publicity and if he is innocent of any wrong doing he would reap benefits from some team wanting to look like the benevolent father assisting him once he looks clean.

May 2nd, 2015, 11:09 am

Well PFT is saying Collins is looking to get drafted because he wants to reenter the draft next year to avoid the UDFA rookie pool, but why would anyone draft a guy they know won't play for them? Seems like he totally screwed himself with saying he won't sign below the 3rd round.

May 2nd, 2015, 1:46 pm
Martha Firestone Ford

All he had to do was just shut up and when he got drafted in day 3, negotiate a 4 year contract that guaranteed him a bonus paid out in the 4th season that makes up the difference between 1st round money and where he got drafted. After 3 years, teams can redo a players contract. That 4th year bonus money could then be added to whatever signing bonus he gets for the new contract.

May 2nd, 2015, 1:51 pm
RIP Killer

My question is this....how much money is he going to make sitting out a year? None. How much money is he going to gain by basically demanding from the entire league that he be selected in the rounds he feels he is worth? None. In fact, he'll lose money as a result.

If he is innocent of the crime, then take the time to clear your name and do what has to be done. But shut up in the mean time. All he had to do was keep his mouth shut. He is now GUARANTEED to go undrafted, and he won't make a red cent in 2015. Not what I would call a shrewd strategy.

May 2nd, 2015, 3:42 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

m2karateman wrote:
My question is this....how much money is he going to make sitting out a year? None. How much money is he going to gain by basically demanding from the entire league that he be selected in the rounds he feels he is worth? None. In fact, he'll lose money as a result.

If he is innocent of the crime, then take the time to clear your name and do what has to be done. But shut up in the mean time. All he had to do was keep his mouth shut. He is now GUARANTEED to go undrafted, and he won't make a red cent in 2015. Not what I would call a shrewd strategy.

Apparently there is some strategy in play here...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... s-cleared/

May 2nd, 2015, 7:43 pm
League MVP

If cleared, lets take a shot. Could be immediate RT starter, probably better at guard but we look good there

May 2nd, 2015, 7:52 pm
Player of the Year - Offense

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
If cleared, lets take a shot. Could be immediate RT starter, probably better at guard but we look good there

Agreed. Hopefully, his meeting in Allen Park went well. FYI: http://www.detroitlions.com/media-cente ... 9db5c9f948

"Good teams don't worry about a whole lot of stuff. They travel, they play, they win. And it doesn't matter where they go, what the time block is, all those kinds of things. They never seem to bother teams that play well, and we want to be one of those teams." -Jim Caldwell

May 3rd, 2015, 7:50 am
Martha Firestone Ford

UDFA's can get their 2nd contract after only 2 years. So, negotiate a two part contract with him. A 2 year deal with a voidable 3rd year. But, on that 3rd year, put on a guaranteed $12M ( or whatever the difference is between his UDFA$ and what being drafted number 16 overall would have paid him).
After year 2, we can negotiate a new contract with him. Take that bonus money, and add it to whatever other signing bonus money there is for the new contract.

This way, if he is cleared, he gets the compensation he would have gotten if this situation had not happened.

I like this kid, and I think he is innocent of the crime. I just can't believe he would be that stupid to have her offed right before the draft. After the draft, would still be stupid, but, he would have already been drafted in the first round.

May 3rd, 2015, 9:14 am

BillySims wrote:
UDFA's can get their 2nd contract after only 2 years. So, negotiate a two part contract with him. A 2 year deal with a voidable 3rd year. But, on that 3rd year, put on a guaranteed $12M ( or whatever the difference is between his UDFA$ and what being drafted number 16 overall would have paid him).
After year 2, we can negotiate a new contract with him. Take that bonus money, and add it to whatever other signing bonus money there is for the new contract.

This way, if he is cleared, he gets the compensation he would have gotten if this situation had not happened.

I like this kid, and I think he is innocent of the crime. I just can't believe he would be that stupid to have her offed right before the draft. After the draft, would still be stupid, but, he would have already been drafted in the first round.

UDFAs have to sign a 3 year contract. They cannot put a $12M guarantee on his 3rd year. He can be signed to an extension after his second year and at that point he can receive a good chunk of money in a signing bonus and bigger salaries. What a team can do to entice him to sign as a UDFA is guarantee portions of his salaries in his first three years, so he would get the same kind of guaranteed money as a 2nd or 3rd rounder though he will still not have much bonus money. Teams can only give out a total of around $88,000 in signing bonuses to all their UDFAs and their salaries are set at $435,000 in 2015, $525,000 in 2016, and $615,000 in 2017. I could easily see a team after he is clear to fully guarantee his salaries in all 3 years while offering him around $20,000 signing bonus if they haven't already allotted to much to their other UDFAs. Guaranteeing all 3 years salaries would get less total money but the same guaranteed money as a late 2nd rounder. I'm starting to believe this was his agents plan all along and the rumor about him wanting to reenter next years draft was total BS. Its very unlikely this kid could afford to spend a year away from the NFL and college, so unless he plans to play in the CFL this was his most lucrative option available.

May 3rd, 2015, 10:07 am
Veteran NFL Head Coach

if he indeed is cleared, there will be a team out there getting a major steal. Lions with the starting RT spot wide open would have to be a consideration for Collins.

ESPN insider draft profile on Collins:

Quote:
Production 1 2011: Played seven games (0 starts) 2012: Started all 13 games at LOG 2013: Started 12 games at LOT2014: Started all 13 games at LOT

Height-Weight-Speed 4 Slightly shorter and leaner than ideal at OT position, and below-average arm length (33 1/4 inches). Good-sized hands. Better straight-line speed than average.

Durability 2 Played in and started 38 of 39 games during final three seasons at LSU. In 2013, did not play versus Furman due to a minor undisclosed injury. Led team in 2012 with total snaps played.

Intangibles 1 Pronounced: Lah-ell.Collins could be the first LSU offensive lineman selected in the first round since 1998. Is well-respected and liked by teammates and coaches. A person of high character who is mature and handles his business. Voted team captain in 2014. No off-the-field issues. Credited with 222.5 knockdown blocks in 45-game career. Was raised in a single-parent home by mother Loyetta Collins.

1 = EXCEPTIONAL 2 = ABOVE AVERAGE 3 = AVERAGE 4 = BELOW AVERAGE 5 = MARGINAL

Offensive Tackle Specific Traits

Pass Protection 2 Not an elite athlete for LOT position (light on feet but just decent bend and can play too tall at times) and lacks ideal length (6044 height and 33 1/4

Run Blocking 2 Has massive frame, good overall strength and plays with a chip. Very efficient run blocker. Fires off the ball with very good initial burst and first-step angle. Has good lower-body strength and strong hands to drive defenders off the line, but only if his hands are in proper position. Does a consistently good job on combo blocks; jars defender with initial contact, and then effectively peals off to secondary block with good awareness and efficient angles. Above average job of reaching second-level blocks and hitting moving targets. Strong enough to drive smaller defenders to the ground but needs to do a better job with hand placement. Frequently allows hands to get outside of defenders frame, which prevents him from latching on and steering. Will also lunge for contact at times and can fall off some blocks, as a result.

Awareness 2 Knows his assignments. Has starting experience at LOT and LOG. Studies tape and transfers what he learns to the field. Solid pre-snap communicator. Very good job of passing on and picking up defenders with OGs and TEs on combo blocks. Shows adequate-to-good awareness in pass protection.

Toughness 2 He has a clear nasty streak. If he gets a chance to finish a defender off, he'll go the extra mile.Shows good overall toughness. Plays through the whistle.

May 3rd, 2015, 11:38 am

The Legend wrote:
if he indeed is cleared, there will be a team out there getting a major steal. Lions with the starting RT spot wide open would have to be a consideration for Collins.

ESPN insider draft profile on Collins:

Quote:
Production 1 2011: Played seven games (0 starts) 2012: Started all 13 games at LOG 2013: Started 12 games at LOT2014: Started all 13 games at LOT

Height-Weight-Speed 4 Slightly shorter and leaner than ideal at OT position, and below-average arm length (33 1/4 inches). Good-sized hands. Better straight-line speed than average.

Durability 2 Played in and started 38 of 39 games during final three seasons at LSU. In 2013, did not play versus Furman due to a minor undisclosed injury. Led team in 2012 with total snaps played.

Intangibles 1 Pronounced: Lah-ell.Collins could be the first LSU offensive lineman selected in the first round since 1998. Is well-respected and liked by teammates and coaches. A person of high character who is mature and handles his business. Voted team captain in 2014. No off-the-field issues. Credited with 222.5 knockdown blocks in 45-game career. Was raised in a single-parent home by mother Loyetta Collins.

1 = EXCEPTIONAL 2 = ABOVE AVERAGE 3 = AVERAGE 4 = BELOW AVERAGE 5 = MARGINAL

Offensive Tackle Specific Traits

Pass Protection 2 Not an elite athlete for LOT position (light on feet but just decent bend and can play too tall at times) and lacks ideal length (6044 height and 33 1/4

Run Blocking 2 Has massive frame, good overall strength and plays with a chip. Very efficient run blocker. Fires off the ball with very good initial burst and first-step angle. Has good lower-body strength and strong hands to drive defenders off the line, but only if his hands are in proper position. Does a consistently good job on combo blocks; jars defender with initial contact, and then effectively peals off to secondary block with good awareness and efficient angles. Above average job of reaching second-level blocks and hitting moving targets. Strong enough to drive smaller defenders to the ground but needs to do a better job with hand placement. Frequently allows hands to get outside of defenders frame, which prevents him from latching on and steering. Will also lunge for contact at times and can fall off some blocks, as a result.

Awareness 2 Knows his assignments. Has starting experience at LOT and LOG. Studies tape and transfers what he learns to the field. Solid pre-snap communicator. Very good job of passing on and picking up defenders with OGs and TEs on combo blocks. Shows adequate-to-good awareness in pass protection.

Toughness 2 He has a clear nasty streak. If he gets a chance to finish a defender off, he'll go the extra mile.Shows good overall toughness. Plays through the whistle.

Since he visited with the Lions, I'm sure if they liked his interview and feel he can play tackle then they may make a play for him. The major issue I see is I don't see a reason he would pick the Lions. I'm sure Caldwell is an enticing coach to play for, but in his situation he's going to want a place he can have the best shot of starting week 1. He lost a lot of money and will have to prove himself to ever have a shot at getting some of that money back. I'm pretty skeptical the Lions would look at him to play tackle, he isn't the same body type as the OTs they seem to like. He does have good arm length, so maybe that changes things.

May 3rd, 2015, 12:32 pm
RIP Killer

rao wrote:
Since he visited with the Lions, I'm sure if they liked his interview and feel he can play tackle then they may make a play for him. The major issue I see is I don't see a reason he would pick the Lions. I'm sure Caldwell is an enticing coach to play for, but in his situation he's going to want a place he can have the best shot of starting week 1. He lost a lot of money and will have to prove himself to ever have a shot at getting some of that money back. I'm pretty skeptical the Lions would look at him to play tackle, he isn't the same body type as the OTs they seem to like. He does have good arm length, so maybe that changes things.

He has a legitimate shot to start day one at RT for the Lions. Day. One.

May 3rd, 2015, 8:41 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

Thats my point, that he would have a great chance to start at RT week 1. Waddle is a PUP candidate, Lucas is another undrafted player but he was underwhelming. Michael Williams hasnt played an NFL down yet. Just being healthy gives him a chance.

May 3rd, 2015, 8:42 pm
Player of the Year - Offense

We seem to be less active with UDFAs this year (at least in terms of high profile they are). I wonder if we're holding some bonus money back for Collins.

"Good teams don't worry about a whole lot of stuff. They travel, they play, they win. And it doesn't matter where they go, what the time block is, all those kinds of things. They never seem to bother teams that play well, and we want to be one of those teams." -Jim Caldwell

May 4th, 2015, 9:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next