View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 20th, 2018, 12:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Lael Collins 
Red Shirt Freshman

Post Re: Lael Collins
If Lael Collins fall to the 5th Round, do we use one of those picks to grab him and gamble he is cleared and not involved in the murder. It's worth a gamble and we can easily cut him if this become a Aaron Hernandez debacle and we only gave up someone else's 5th pick.

May 1st, 2015, 12:45 am
Pro Bowl Player

I heard a lot of teams took him completely off their boards, I know he was only brought in to answer questions, but is he associated with an element the Lions want to deal with? On top of that he was trying to get removed from the draft process and allowed to enter the supplemental draft, so if he is drafted at some point are teams going to have trouble with his agent and his contract? He was looked at as top 50 player and even as high as a top 15 pick before this recent incident so he's going to want to get paid. I think the Lions are going to avoid the potential of bad press and headaches that could come with taking Collins.

May 1st, 2015, 6:25 am
Martha Firestone Ford

I would use our 6th round pick on him if he is still there. It is worth the risk at that point. If he is innocent, let him know during contract negotiations that we are bound by the CBA as to what we can pay him on his first contract. A 6th round pick is only a 3 year contract anyway. But, let him know that we will make it right with him on his 2nd contract.( the money he lost because of this situation).

Heck, maybe the NFL would grant an exception to pay him at least 2nd round money, if he gets cleared soon.

May 1st, 2015, 8:10 am
Rookie Player of the Year

BillySims wrote:
I would use our 6th round pick on him if he is still there. It is worth the risk at that point. If he is innocent, let him know during contract negotiations that we are bound by the CBA as to what we can pay him on his first contract. A 6th round pick is only a 3 year contract anyway. But, let him know that we will make it right with him on his 2nd contract.( the money he lost because of this situation).

Heck, maybe the NFL would grant an exception to pay him at least 2nd round money, if he gets cleared soon.

The fact his agent was trying to get into the supplemental draft says to me they already know they are boned if he gets drafted, so I wouldn't make any concessions unless I was in total belief he wasn't going to have this floating over his head any longer than after talking to police.

With the last 2 drafts completely avoiding any players with off the field red flags, I really see no way the Lions aren't one of the teams that took Collins entirely off their draft boards.

May 1st, 2015, 9:12 am
3rd Round Selection

Just read on the NFL network ticker that he won't sign with any team unless he's selected in the 2nd or 3rd round. I would not touch him with a 10ft pole.

May 1st, 2015, 7:48 pm
Pro Bowl Player

i wouldnt touch him because he hasnt been cleared yet. BUt his comment about not signing makes complete sense, and means his agewnt isnt an idiot. He was a late first round early 2nd round talent, and assuming hes innocent deserves to be paid as such.

Assuming he is innocent.. somebody murdered his ex days before the draft.. and if he had nothing to do with it, yet you fault him for not wanting to be screwed out of millions of dollars he earned over the last few years or preparing himself to be an NFL player?

Basically he is saying, either draft me high, or wait to get me int he supplemental draft... and thats the best he can do with this sucky situation. Now if he did have his ex offed, then he deserves alot more than no contract, and hell get it.

May 2nd, 2015, 12:10 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Team MVP

Except he can't get in the supplemental draft. Once you're deemed eligible and accepted into the draft, that option is out. The only remaining option is to sit the entire year with zero football and enter the 2016 draft, where with no income to pay for training there's a chance he gets out of shape and doesn't get drafted at all next year. So he could lose everything.

Only one player has been successful at using this method, and that was John Elway. The rest, not so much. Mike Williams, Maurice Clarrett...

Sure, the agent isn't stupid. He wants to maximize his bonus, but Collins is going to owe whatever the agent pays out of pocket for his expenses for an entire year out of his earnings in his contract. If he still ends up a first round pick, it'll will be worth it. If he's anything lower, he'll earn less than being bid on through UDFA this year and the ability to get a contract in 3 years. The player is the one that is getting hurt. You have any idea how expensive it will be to stay in game shape as an OL without the support of your school facilities? Private trainers are expensive for just the few months after Bowls end and combine. And entire year will put him in debt for much longer than any contract he signs.

May 2nd, 2015, 1:02 am
Pro Bowl Player

If they stick with this decision (don't see it) I think you see them look at what the expected NFL contract would be for where he might picked and try to see if they can get a better one year deal from the CFL. This would be similar to what Kelly did back in the USFL days, except he did it because he didn't want to play in Buffalo. If drafted though I think he will sign and after his first season if he outplays his draft position he will get a supplement based on his play much like Colston and other late round guys have done as rookies. I also expect after the first two seasons he would get a new lucrative deal if he is playing as a 1st round talent.

May 2nd, 2015, 6:07 am
Martha Firestone Ford

I just heard that the baby died yesterday.

May 2nd, 2015, 9:44 am
Pro Bowl Player

Yeah Shefter announced it during the draft last night.

May 2nd, 2015, 9:47 am
Martha Firestone Ford

I actually think he is innocent. I mean, if he wanted to have her killed, wouldn't he have waited until 1: he got drafted and 2: at least got his signing bonus in hand?

Unless he is dumber than a box of rocks.

May 2nd, 2015, 9:53 am
RIP Killer

La'el Collins and his agent have pretty much killed his NFL career hopes. His declaration that if he didn't get drafted in rounds two or three, he would refuse to sign a contract and re-enter in 2016 just killed his chances with ANY team (except maybe the Cowboys, but they don't need offensive linemen).

You don't tell the NFL what your terms are for being drafted. That's a sure fire way to have the NFL turn its back on you. He needs them, they don't need him.

If that was his agents idea, Collins should fire his agent, today. If it was Collins idea, his agent should have explained to him the stupidity of making that statement.

If he's innocent, he may get a shot with someone. But his attitude is gonna be looked at as an issue, and some teams will refuse to have anything to do with him based on that, not just the crime.

May 2nd, 2015, 10:09 am
Veteran NFL Head Coach

njroar wrote:
Except he can't get in the supplemental draft. Once you're deemed eligible and accepted into the draft, that option is out. The only remaining option is to sit the entire year with zero football and enter the 2016 draft, where with no income to pay for training there's a chance he gets out of shape and doesn't get drafted at all next year. So he could lose everything.

Only one player has been successful at using this method, and that was John Elway. The rest, not so much. Mike Williams, Maurice Clarrett...

Sure, the agent isn't stupid. He wants to maximize his bonus, but Collins is going to owe whatever the agent pays out of pocket for his expenses for an entire year out of his earnings in his contract. If he still ends up a first round pick, it'll will be worth it. If he's anything lower, he'll earn less than being bid on through UDFA this year and the ability to get a contract in 3 years. The player is the one that is getting hurt. You have any idea how expensive it will be to stay in game shape as an OL without the support of your school facilities? Private trainers are expensive for just the few months after Bowls end and combine. And entire year will put him in debt for much longer than any contract he signs.

agree. if he actually sits out a year under his agent s advice its a big mistake. better off being cleared, getting into someone s camp and proving himself on the NFL practice fields and exhibition seasons, all while collecting NFL base salary.

May 2nd, 2015, 10:24 am
Rookie Player of the Year

m2karateman wrote:
La'el Collins and his agent have pretty much killed his NFL career hopes. His declaration that if he didn't get drafted in rounds two or three, he would refuse to sign a contract and re-enter in 2016 just killed his chances with ANY team (except maybe the Cowboys, but they don't need offensive linemen).

You don't tell the NFL what your terms are for being drafted. That's a sure fire way to have the NFL turn its back on you. He needs them, they don't need him.

If that was his agents idea, Collins should fire his agent, today. If it was Collins idea, his agent should have explained to him the stupidity of making that statement.

If he's innocent, he may get a shot with someone. But his attitude is gonna be looked at as an issue, and some teams will refuse to have anything to do with him based on that, not just the crime.

I agree with you M2k, but I'm betting his phone will still be ringing off the hook with teams trying to sign him as a UDFA. There is no risk for a team and he has so much talent teams will ignore the attitude until it shows up in the locker room. Also I think you would have to consider the frustration and stress this would be putting him under if he really is just collateral damage.

May 2nd, 2015, 10:26 am
Veteran NFL Head Coach

BillySims wrote:
I actually think he is innocent. I mean, if he wanted to have her killed, wouldn't he have waited until 1: he got drafted and 2: at least got his signing bonus in hand?

Unless he is dumber than a box of rocks.

you never know, i mean maybe she s calling him saying that he s the baby s father and wants a piece of the pie and is putting pressure on him, knowing that he s about to land a 7 figure signing bonus. the victim was significantly older, I believe 29 yo and maybe thought she could get something out of him. the story i dont believe is what the media released that someone went over there looking to borrow a car and when the woman says no, they end up killing her. that doesnt sound like a motive for murder to me. when pregnant women are murdered it usually has something to do with the baby, money, etc not bc someone was going to be late for an appointment or something stupid like that

May 2nd, 2015, 10:32 am
Reply to topic   [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next