View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 18th, 2018, 12:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Lael Collins 
Team MVP

Post Re: Lael Collins
Collins is in such a unique situation and if he's cleared, he's basically going to be able to choose whatever team he wants. If he's someone who wants to stay close to home, he'll go to the Saints. If not, anything is fair game. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

May 4th, 2015, 9:42 am
Martha Firestone Ford

I think this is such a unique circumstance, that the only fair way to handle this is:

Have every team that is interested in Collins, submit their best contract offer to the league. ( because of the uniqueness of the situation, the league would have to exempt him from the normal UDFA rules). ( the offering team would still be required to fit him under the overall cap)

The league would then file that offer and print up an identifier offer with a code number on it. No team info would be included on this sheet that Collins and his agent would see.

The league would do this for every offer.

Collins and his agent would then read each offer and pick the one they want. It would basically be a silent auction.

May 4th, 2015, 10:04 am
Rookie Player of the Year

BillySims wrote:
I think this is such a unique circumstance, that the only fair way to handle this is:

Have every team that is interested in Collins, submit their best contract offer to the league. ( because of the uniqueness of the situation, the league would have to exempt him from the normal UDFA rules). ( the offering team would still be required to fit him under the overall cap)

The league would then file that offer and print up an identifier offer with a code number on it. No team info would be included on this sheet that Collins and his agent would see.

The league would do this for every offer.

Collins and his agent would then read each offer and pick the one they want. It would basically be a silent auction.

After what he's gone through, if he is totally clear why should he have to be in some silent auction. If the league is going to make him some special case then just make him a FA. That way he can pick his team and not be restricted in how much guaranteed money he can get.

May 4th, 2015, 1:16 pm
3rd Round Selection

Ideally, he should be made an FA. But, this will set a precedent that I'm sure Goodell will sh!t bricks at even the thought of. The only reasonable/realistic solution for both sides is to let him try the supplemental draft.

I do feel very bad for the kid though, assuming he's innocent. All that hardwork, and to see other players who're not half as good as he is making millions while he's being vilified has to hurt.

May 4th, 2015, 1:51 pm
Player of the Year - Offense

DayDreamer wrote:
Ideally, he should be made an FA. But, this will set a precedent that I'm sure Goodell will sh!t bricks at even the thought of. The only reasonable/realistic solution for both sides is to let him try the supplemental draft.

I do feel very bad for the kid though, assuming he's innocent. All that hardwork, and to see other players who're not half as good as he is making millions while he's being vilified has to hurt.

Yep. The NFL only makes exceptions for selfish PR purposes. Seeing as how the NFL isn't directly implicated in the guy's stock taking a tumble (at least as far as we know), he'll have to abide by the normal rules.

"Good teams don't worry about a whole lot of stuff. They travel, they play, they win. And it doesn't matter where they go, what the time block is, all those kinds of things. They never seem to bother teams that play well, and we want to be one of those teams." -Jim Caldwell

May 4th, 2015, 2:32 pm
Team MVP

DayDreamer wrote:

He will be a FA, but he'll be an undrafted FA, which has limits to salary that can be offered. They aren't going to give him FA rights which come AFTER a contract is first signed or like he's already served time. That's a disservice to every veteran that has gone through the process. The rules aren't going to change for someone that is in this circumstances, especially after the Ray Rice and Aaron Hernandez situations. The only way to avoid facing it is to avoid these possible situations.

I think this matter was made worse by his agents, not better. Taking a defensive and attacking stance against the rules by trying to suggest that he was owed something that he hadn't earned yet, wasn't going to fly. By telling teams that he wouldn't sign if he was picked after 3rd round guaranteed that no team would pick him and then lose that pick if he refused to sign used that team's pick to allow him to enter the 2016 draft. Any team would have been stupid to take that chance.

If he's cleared, he'll get his choice of teams in public, do his time for 2-3 years and then if his play dictates he can cash out on his next deal. But to say that he's owed something because his agents words made the situation worse, doesn't cut it for me. Telling the media that they've "tried" to show his innocence and that he wasn't anywhere near her, when they had never talked to the detectives working the case, just sounds fishy. First stating that they were staying in Chicago, which showed a lack of empathy for the baby that was possibly his, and then suddenly leaving the draft to fly home just sounds like it was a reaction to the media's questions instead of a proactive plan. Instead of saying that he was scheduled to take a paternity test the following week, if he had flown home immediately because "it might be my child," i think he would have had a lot more sympathy behind him. Acting like the draft was all that mattered and it would be taken care of later just made him sound cold. Then his agents reactions to him not getting selected in the first round just made it worse.

And if he is found innocent and cleared, you don't change the rules and allow him to enter the supplemental draft. It's his and his agents faults for taking an aggressive stance against the league and the rules instead of just informing them of what was happening. He could have been drafted if he just kept mum and said they were going through the process.

May 4th, 2015, 2:38 pm
Pro Bowl Player

What are the rules if he or the team(s) wait until after the first regular season game? At that point is he still an UDFA or simply a FA? If he was considered just a FA the team that signed could in theory sign him to any contract they wanted and cut him at any time and only be on the hook for any guaranteed money. The biggest downfall is that Collins would be four months behind in his NFL development. I'm sure the NFL would make this impossible even if it isn't already in the rule books.

May 4th, 2015, 4:00 pm
Pro Bowl Player

njroar wrote:

He will be a FA, but he'll be an undrafted FA, which has limits to salary that can be offered. They aren't going to give him FA rights which come AFTER a contract is first signed or like he's already served time. That's a disservice to every veteran that has gone through the process. The rules aren't going to change for someone that is in this circumstances, especially after the Ray Rice and Aaron Hernandez situations. The only way to avoid facing it is to avoid these possible situations.

Ray Rice Punched his Wife on Camera.

Hernandez Murdered someone.

This discussion is based around assuming Collins is Innocent. How does 1 "Avoid the Situation" of having your Ex GF Murdered by someone else that has nothing to do with you? That is an incredibly bizarre comment.

May 4th, 2015, 4:33 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Team MVP

DJ-B wrote:
njroar wrote:

Ray Rice Punched his Wife on Camera.

Hernandez Murdered someone.

This discussion is based around assuming Collins is Innocent. How does 1 "Avoid the Situation" of having your Ex GF Murdered by someone else that has nothing to do with you? That is an incredibly bizarre comment.

His actions when the news broke are what caused the hesitation from teams towards drafting him. His agents multiple press leaks set the tone for this entire situation.

Look at it this way... If you found out your ex was murdered while pregant with what could be your baby, do you A, offer condolences to the family and try to make sure the baby is taken care of until paternity is verified, or B fly to the draft, tell the press the paternity test will be next week and make the Draft more important? Which one seems sensible and would draw sympathy and understanding, and which one makes it seem like you're only after you and could make people question whether you are a suspect when you are wanted for questioning?

When you're under a microscope, how you act is going to speak volumes.

May 4th, 2015, 5:04 pm
Red Shirt Freshman

Touchdown Jesus wrote:
Collins is in such a unique situation and if he's cleared, he's basically going to be able to choose whatever team he wants. If he's someone who wants to stay close to home, he'll go to the Saints. If not, anything is fair game. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

I would think after this experience, I would want to get as far as I can away from Lousiana. If I'm him, I'll want a team were I can walk right into s starting position to speed up my long awaited payday not some place were I'm situational or rotating or sitting a season until that vet in front of me retires or get traded. I just hope the Lions don't let what happen cloud there judgement about this guy and try just as hard as other teams. Because we can't win with all Boy Scouts, we need some criminals. Lol!!

May 4th, 2015, 7:29 pm
League MVP

Reportedly has visits lined up with Miami and Buffalo

May 4th, 2015, 11:27 pm
Player of the Year - Offense

DAMNIT!!!

"Good teams don't worry about a whole lot of stuff. They travel, they play, they win. And it doesn't matter where they go, what the time block is, all those kinds of things. They never seem to bother teams that play well, and we want to be one of those teams." -Jim Caldwell

May 7th, 2015, 3:07 pm
RIP Killer

Well CB Byron Jones was their first round pick. Gregory went in the second round and there are always a few 1st rounders who fall to the second round.

It is funny how much their head coach talked about character before free agency/draft and they sign Hardy (now suspended 10 games for domestic abuse) and Gregory (strike 1 before the draft).

Now Collins is a good get given that he was cleared of any wrongdoing and the paternity test proved her unborn child wasn't his. Feel real bad for this kid, terrible timing.

May 7th, 2015, 4:56 pm
Profile WWW
Red Shirt Freshman

I just can't believe this kid or his representatives would let him sign a contract with a team were he has to stand in line to start. I don't see how this is beneficial to a big contract extension. How much leverage will he have after 2 years other than trade bait. He could throw a rock at any other team and walked into a starting Tackle position. This was dum on so many levels.

May 7th, 2015, 5:42 pm
RIP Killer

Hopes he likes playing OG for the boys, cuz he's not starting at OT this year...

May 7th, 2015, 11:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next