View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 18th, 2018, 2:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 2016 NFL Draft 
RIP Killer

Post 2016 NFL Draft
The Lions are 0-4 and looking to lock up another top 10 draft pick in 2016. Lets start thinking ahead to one of the few positives to look forward to...

I think there is some OT and DL candidates who could be worthy of a top pick. Who should we be looking out for?

October 6th, 2015, 1:48 pm
Profile WWW
Def. Coordinator – Teryl Austin

Post Re: 2016 NFL Draft
Trade down get as man picks out of the top rounds as possible ad pick up linemen and DB's. Just stockpile em...

October 6th, 2015, 2:12 pm
Pro Bowl Player

regularjoe12 wrote:
Trade down get as man picks out of the top rounds as possible ad pick up linemen and DB's. Just stockpile em...

but 2nd round receivers.....

October 6th, 2015, 5:39 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Veteran NFL Head Coach

they already are going to have some extra picks bc of the free agent losses. im not sure trading down is as important as getting 2 solid players for that defense in the first two rounds. One that can generate pressure off the edge or from the inside and one ready to step in at Corner. Cant count on squeezing too much more out of Mathis. The OL problem seems to need a veteran - a big signing. Perhaps one that does finally what Mayhew hoped to do for years which was sign a big time LT and swap his guy to the right side (never did it with Backus but looking more and more like he shoild do it with Reiff). The guard and center spots, well he had better hope his coaches can develop the guys he s already taken.

Needs (in order of priority)

OT - I say get a proven guy in free agency, not enough time to wait around for more youngsters to develop.
DT - Starting to look dangerously thin but Reid and Wright could be part of a good rotation. Need to draft a guy early and maybe if Walker recovers give him a chance.
CB - Running low on time with Mathis.

October 6th, 2015, 7:08 pm
Team MVP

OT in Free Agency or draft unless we're too far down in first (lol, yeah right)
DE over DT. We haven't had a consistent double digit pass rusher in forever. Our depth at DT isn't phenomenal but edge rushers get the money for a reason.
CB - have to stop drafting this position low. Either a young free agent or draft high and someone that will be a day one starter.

October 6th, 2015, 8:09 pm
NFL Team Captain

If moron Mayhew is still here he'll just phuck it up, like always.

October 6th, 2015, 9:06 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

DE and CB would be the biggest help. Put another high level pass rusher opposite Ansah and the DTs should be fine just plugging lanes.

October 6th, 2015, 11:15 pm
Martha Firestone Ford

rao wrote:
DE and CB would be the biggest help. Put another high level pass rusher opposite Ansah and the DTs should be fine just plugging lanes.

I agree. DE, CB, OT, and then DT, DT, Safety.

October 6th, 2015, 11:33 pm
RIP Killer

The Lions need to think seriously about an offensive tackle. If they can draft a stud LT and move Reiff back to RT, I think that would be a huge lift. The problem is in knowing whether that stud LT is going to really be a stud LT. Is he going to be Joe Thomas or Eric Fisher?

Next piece of the puzzle needs to be another high pick on a cornerback. Mathis is all but done, and we don't know what we have in Carter. The others on the roster are strictly nickel or dime corners, and don't really fit the mold of a starting outside cover corner. The Lions need to acquire that to help the secondary.

Defensive end would be a good pick up as well. Jones isn't a strong pass rusher, and none of the others on the roster has stepped up. Find a strong pass rusher, if nothing else at least for situational purposes.

After that, we could use another LB that can play either middle or strong side. Tulloch needs to be released or retire, and Whitehead can either take his place or start strongside while a new MLB is installed in the defense. We still don't know what Van Noy is, but right now he looks like another wasted pick (that Mayhew traded up to get).

I would also look at another good coverage safety, hopefully to replace Ihedigbo. His play this season has been sketchy all around.

We have no third round pick in the coming draft, thanks to Mayhew giving that up to draft Gabe Wright. So the first two picks better freakin' count. I would say two of the following three positions should be targeted: OT, CB, DE....

October 9th, 2015, 7:59 am
League MVP

m2karateman wrote:
The Lions need to think seriously about an offensive tackle. If they can draft a stud LT and move Reiff back to RT, I think that would be a huge lift. The problem is in knowing whether that stud LT is going to really be a stud LT. Is he going to be Joe Thomas or Eric Fisher?

Next piece of the puzzle needs to be another high pick on a cornerback. Mathis is all but done, and we don't know what we have in Carter. The others on the roster are strictly nickel or dime corners, and don't really fit the mold of a starting outside cover corner. The Lions need to acquire that to help the secondary.

Defensive end would be a good pick up as well. Jones isn't a strong pass rusher, and none of the others on the roster has stepped up. Find a strong pass rusher, if nothing else at least for situational purposes.

After that, we could use another LB that can play either middle or strong side. Tulloch needs to be released or retire, and Whitehead can either take his place or start strongside while a new MLB is installed in the defense. We still don't know what Van Noy is, but right now he looks like another wasted pick (that Mayhew traded up to get).

I would also look at another good coverage safety, hopefully to replace Ihedigbo. His play this season has been sketchy all around.

We have no third round pick in the coming draft, thanks to Mayhew giving that up to draft Gabe Wright. So the first two picks better freakin' count. I would say two of the following three positions should be targeted: OT, CB, DE....

With where we'll likely be picking I would hope for an impact player on defense in the first round or possibly a LT like you said. I like your write up but for me another stud in the secondary outweighs DE. Whether it be a rangy safety or another starter at CB. We likely will have a third as compensation for Suh but it will be at the end of the round instead of ours which should be in the beginning. Our first 2 picks have to be starters. And if one is not a LT, we should be able to find an upgrade at RT in a mid round.

October 9th, 2015, 8:44 am
RIP Killer

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

With where we'll likely be picking I would hope for an impact player on defense in the first round or possibly a LT like you said. I like your write up but for me another stud in the secondary outweighs DE. Whether it be a rangy safety or another starter at CB. We likely will have a third as compensation for Suh but it will be at the end of the round instead of ours which should be in the beginning. Our first 2 picks have to be starters. And if one is not a LT, we should be able to find an upgrade at RT in a mid round.

My only fear with taking a corner early is that they usually don't have the impact immediately that a pass rusher would have. A stud corner will usually take a year or two to develop into a solid starter. A pass rusher that was a force in college can usually translate that sooner in the NFL. Not always, but they are usually quicker to make the transition successfully. However, either one early would be good.

It's a shame we have to rely on Mayhew (as of now) to make that pick. Because I just don't trust him to make the right selection.

October 9th, 2015, 10:01 am
Rookie Player of the Year

m2karateman wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

My only fear with taking a corner early is that they usually don't have the impact immediately that a pass rusher would have. A stud corner will usually take a year or two to develop into a solid starter. A pass rusher that was a force in college can usually translate that sooner in the NFL. Not always, but they are usually quicker to make the transition successfully. However, either one early would be good.

It's a shame we have to rely on Mayhew (as of now) to make that pick. Because I just don't trust him to make the right selection.

If we see a different staff would you be more interested in using the staff's first year on a CB? I agree with your take on DE over CB especially if its the same staff.

October 9th, 2015, 11:56 am
Veteran NFL Head Coach

m2karateman wrote:

well it sounds like they are counting on getting two bonus picks in the post 3rd pre 4th area

October 9th, 2015, 12:20 pm
League MVP

m2karateman wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

That's true but eventually we have to start that process. I don't think Mathis has another season of starting in him. Maybe we could spend FA money on a corner and get an impact lineman in the first.

October 9th, 2015, 10:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]