View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 19th, 2018, 3:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Connor Cook? 
National Champion

Post Re: Connor Cook?
Cook played good yesterday. Often placed balls on the WRs back-shoulder just like Peyton did in college and only had 1-2 inaccurate throws to my memory. I like him to the Lions more than I did a week ago.

October 18th, 2015, 9:32 am
NFL Team Captain

Cook also made some bad throws yesterday and was lucky not to have several picks. I'm not opposed to the Lions drafting another QB, but don't feel that's the number one deficiency on this team. Lack of protection and a nonexistent running game have hamstrung our offense as well as a lack of creativity. If the Lions do go QB I'd be taking a hard look at Paxton Lynch of Memphis.
Bottom line is as long as Mayhew is picking for us we'll continue to flounder in acquiring necessary talent to succeed.

October 18th, 2015, 10:09 am
League MVP

liontrax wrote:
Cook also made some bad throws yesterday and was lucky not to have several picks. I'm not opposed to the Lions drafting another QB, but don't feel that's the number one deficiency on this team. Lack of protection and a nonexistent running game have hamstrung our offense as well as a lack of creativity. If the Lions do go QB I'd be taking a hard look at Paxton Lynch of Memphis.
Bottom line is as long as Mayhew is picking for us we'll continue to flounder in acquiring necessary talent to succeed.

Agree with the Paxton Lynch comment, but REALLY agree with your last sentence. Heck, im still pissed watching Ebron NOT contribute and seeing Beckham Jr. tearing it up.

October 22nd, 2015, 9:47 pm
Varsity Captain

kdsberman wrote:
liontrax wrote:

Agree with the Paxton Lynch comment, but REALLY agree with your last sentence. Heck, im still pissed watching Ebron NOT contribute and seeing Beckham Jr. tearing it up.

Beckham would not be tearing it up if the Lions would have drafted him.

Frok

October 22nd, 2015, 10:56 pm
National Champion

when I first saw this thread I thought it sounded like a horrible idea. But the more I think about it and the more Cook continues to put up wins (31-3 college career). I think it's starting to feel like a better idea. I'm starting to get the feeling he could be the next Aaron Rodgers. Am I crazy? He's accurate, able to make that short and long ball throws and can scramble for first downs when needed. My only concern is he's considered a bit of a "knucklehead" by some.

October 24th, 2015, 8:09 pm
RIP Killer

frok wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
liontrax wrote:

Beckham would not be tearing it up if the Lions would have drafted him.

Frok

He would have been a more reliable contributor to the offense had we drafted him instead of Ebron.

October 25th, 2015, 8:19 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

And Beckham is far more of a threat than Ebron is. Just on athletic talent alone.

October 27th, 2015, 7:53 pm
National Champion

Ebron is showing his potential lately. He scores a TD in almost every game (not counting the Seattle game which he didn't play much of) and seems to be learning how to find space in zones, and soon enough I dare any safety/LB try him 1v1. I'd take Beckham at this point, but if Ebron eventually becomes a 1K/10TD a season player, that, being at the TE spot, can be just as valuable as whatever OBJ does.

October 28th, 2015, 3:06 am
Martha Firestone Ford

I don't care how good/bad Ebron ever gets. The no brainer pick that we needed to make at that spot was without doubt, Aaron Donald. Everyone knew we were about to lose both Suh and Fairley. I know everyone knew. I was here shouting it from the mountain tops. The Lions have never made a more arrogantly ignorant pick in their history than picking Ebron.

October 28th, 2015, 9:24 am
Pro Bowl Player

BillySims wrote:
I don't care how good/bad Ebron ever gets. The no brainer pick that we needed to make at that spot was without doubt, Aaron Donald. Everyone knew we were about to lose both Suh and Fairley. I know everyone knew. I was here shouting it from the mountain tops. The Lions have never made a more arrogantly ignorant pick in their history than picking Ebron.

While I think the Lions have been just as Arrogant and Ignorant with other picks, the Ebron Pick was bad at the time, and a travesty after realizing they could have anchored this line for YEARS if they had just taken Donald. They could have let Suh walk (planned on it even), locked in Fairley for a reasonable rate for a few more years, and we would be in much better shape right now.

October 28th, 2015, 11:19 am
Profile ICQ WWW
NFL Team Captain

DJ-B wrote:
BillySims wrote:

While I think the Lions have been just as Arrogant and Ignorant with other picks, the Ebron Pick was bad at the time, and a travesty after realizing they could have anchored this line for YEARS if they had just taken Donald. They could have let Suh walk (planned on it even), locked in Fairley for a reasonable rate for a few more years, and we would be in much better shape right now.

Great posts both! Love the " arrogantly ignorant " description. Perfectly describes Mayhew who actually thinks he knows what he's doing. I would have been happy with Beckham, Donald or Zack Martin. Mayhew claims BPA. What a crock! Think he's done enough damage on draft day, and proven that he's not much better than his predecessor.

October 28th, 2015, 3:18 pm
League MVP

BillySims wrote:

Agree. To make matters worse, look how well Donald is playing.

October 28th, 2015, 8:29 pm
RIP Killer

DJ-B wrote:
BillySims wrote:

I agree that Donald would have been a much more sensible pick, given the circumstances at the time. Ebron has shown nothing, really. He has made SOME plays, but certainly not nearly enough to justify his draft position. And it still doesn't excuse drafting him after locking up Pettigrew to a multi-year deal that was pretty lucrative. I liked the idea of Beckham at the time, because there were some questions about Donald because he was light while playing in college. Some people were concerned about his ability to add weight, and not impact his quickness. Obviously he showed that was a non-issue. I also endorsed the idea of getting Kyle Fuller, because we desperately needed talent at the corner spot (still do need that, desperately).

One could also argue that Taylor Lewan would have been a good pick at the time, since our RT spot was being manned by a UDFA and Reiff at LT was nothing special, but certainly not a crutch. Getting Lewan would have allowed Reiff to return to RT and resolve two positions.

As for the most arrogantly ignorant pick being Ebron......I give it a close second to the selection of Mike Williams. Millen didn't even both to field calls about trading the pick. The Lions made that selection less than 3 minutes into their 15 allotted minutes. Then he had the audacity to say there was no interest from other teams in trading. THAT is arrogance.

October 29th, 2015, 2:09 pm
3rd Round Selection

Quote:
And Drew Brees! If you have a chance at a franchise QB you take it. He would probably sit for a year behind Staff if he isn't traded and even if he does play the Lions aren't going to do much - you grab the LT next year.

Only if I have the number one pick and that player is of a Andrew Luck or Peyton Manning caliber. I don't see Conner Cook being that kind of quarterback. He's the kind of QB a QB staved team will reach for. In fact Todd McShay has Jared Goff as his top QB and he's listed #7 and I've read he's more potential than product. Games are won and lost in the trenches the Lions need to fix their lines not reach for quarterback that's not even as good as the one they got.

October 31st, 2015, 12:13 pm
RIP Killer

Manning and Luck were the #1 overall picks. Let's say the Lions rebuild the trenches and do show improvement - they then move into the 6-8 win range consistently (popping to 10 wins once every 5-7 years when things go right) and will never get a shot at a franchise QB.

Let's face it, the Lions are not the type of team that will land a franchise QB later in the draft.

Just sayin. I understand your approach and might work for most franchises, but this is the Lions and for us that just firmly puts us in mediocrity for the long-term. Inept franchise need to swing for the fences in the hope of an occasional home run that can turn their fortunes around.

Your logic is sound, it just can't be applied to Detroit...unless we somehow land a top GM which I haven't seen in my lifetime.

October 31st, 2015, 11:29 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next