View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently June 25th, 2018, 10:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Connor Cook? 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Connor Cook?
Leo wrote:
Quote:
And Drew Brees! If you have a chance at a franchise QB you take it. He would probably sit for a year behind Staff if he isn't traded and even if he does play the Lions aren't going to do much - you grab the LT next year.

Only if I have the number one pick and that player is of a Andrew Luck or Peyton Manning caliber. I don't see Conner Cook being that kind of quarterback. He's the kind of QB a QB staved team will reach for. In fact Todd McShay has Jared Goff as his top QB and he's listed #7 and I've read he's more potential than product. Games are won and lost in the trenches the Lions need to fix their lines not reach for quarterback that's not even as good as the one they got.

First off, I hold no stock in the ramblings of Todd McShay, any more than I put stock in Mel Kiper and his idiocy. Every once in a great while they'll hit on someone who turns out to be solid, or even a HOF type player. Blindfold me and let me throw a bunch of darts, and eventually I'll hit the dartboard.

While I don't think Connor Cook is a special talent right now, I would say that if not for him MSU is not undefeated and is probably staring at two or three losses for the season already. A difference maker like that is what you want in a QB. Would I want the Lions to take him first overall? Probably not. But I think he would be a solid value later in the top ten.

November 1st, 2015, 1:45 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

The lions should be looking for developmental QB in the next couple of drafts, They should've done it prior, but they didn't. I wanted Mettenberger back then but he's not all that just yet. Anyway, I'd rather look at Tunsil from Mississippi if he's there at the draft slot. I think rd 1 is too high for the QB next year. A franchise level LT changes your whole offense. If one is there, I want him.

November 7th, 2015, 10:15 pm
RIP Killer

jrd66 wrote:
The lions should be looking for developmental QB in the next couple of drafts, They should've done it prior, but they didn't. I wanted Mettenberger back then but he's not all that just yet. Anyway, I'd rather look at Tunsil from Mississippi if he's there at the draft slot. I think rd 1 is too high for the QB next year. A franchise level LT changes your whole offense. If one is there, I want him.

I agree, getting a developmental QB is something the Lions need to do. They need someone to push Stafford, not just play clipboard holder. Get a developmental QB with a chip on his shoulder and who doesn't back down from competing.

As for getting a left tackle, I like the idea. I think Reiff is better suited to RT. However, there is no guarantee a stud LT in college becomes a stud LT in the NFL. See Eric Fisher, Luke Joekel and Lane Johnson.

November 9th, 2015, 1:35 pm
Team MVP

m2karateman wrote:
jrd66 wrote:

I agree, getting a developmental QB is something the Lions need to do. They need someone to push Stafford, not just play clipboard holder. Get a developmental QB with a chip on his shoulder and who doesn't back down from competing.

As for getting a left tackle, I like the idea. I think Reiff is better suited to RT. However, there is no guarantee a stud LT in college becomes a stud LT in the NFL. See Eric Fisher, Luke Joekel and Lane Johnson.

I think drafting a LT is a must regardless. Even if they aren't a stud, if they can't push Reiff to the RT, they can improve the RT which makes the guards better as well as move Waddle to depth which would be an improvement there also.

If you want to win now(maybe) or make a splash, you draft skill positions first. If you want to win consistently, you build the trenches as the core first. We need to start winning consistently first. Hopefully the overlap with the skill positions we do have will make it an easier transition to stomach. And yes, a QB to develop and push Stafford is a must early.

November 9th, 2015, 1:52 pm
RIP Killer

njroar wrote:
If you want to win consistently, you build the trenches as the core first. We need to start winning consistently first.

Disagree, if you want to win consistently you draft the best talent available - period. This notion of drafting by position means that a club will not get the best talent value per draft. It is the fans way of plugging holes on a year-by-year basis.

Look at the "consistent" winners in the league since 2005

Patriots - G, RB, S, LB, CB, OT, DE, LB, DT, DT
Packers - QB, LB, DT, DT, LB, OT, OT, DE, DE, S, S
Steelers - TE, WR, LB, RB, DT, C, DE, G, LB, LB, LB

The exception to every rule in the league is the QB spot, so you can add more weight to that position. If all other things are equal, then take the more important position or need pick. I liked Mayhew's philosophy of BPA especially in the early rounds of the draft, he just wasn't a good talent evaluator of college players.

There isn't one position the Lions have an abundance of talent at so I'd put every option on the table with the exception perhaps of guard.

Under your strategy you reach for a LT, could up with another Riley or Backus, instead of a difference maker at another position. Let's say the next year a stud LT is sitting there, but you pass on them now to fill another void. Over time, that strategy drains the talent on the team. If the best player available is a shut down corner do you really want to pass on them to reach for a lineman?

November 9th, 2015, 2:41 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3