View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 12th, 2018, 1:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Time to start Draft talk for 2016 
3rd Round Selection

Post Time to start Draft talk for 2016
Quote:
The Detroit Lions are sitting at 1-6 and at this point are trending toward no worse than a top 5 pick in the draft. The team could even end up with the No. 1 pick in the draft for the first time since the team took Matthew Stafford in 2009.

So who should the Lions be scouting and looking at? Here are five options -- something we’ll look at weekly the rest of the college season -- as Detroit continues to play out its string of the year.

DE Joey Bosa, Ohio State
Why would he fit: He’s an elite college pass-rusher and, depending on the defense the Lions end up playing next year, could end up pairing with Ezekiel Ansah to be two of the better pass-rushing ends in the NFL right out of the gate. He also has flexibility like current Lions starting defensive end Jason Jones as he has played inside at defensive tackle in pass situations. The Lions need to get better up front on defense and Bosa would provide that immediately and can likely play in any scheme. He is the No. 1 player on Todd McShay’s latest board.

DT Robert Nkemdiche, Ole Miss
Why would he fit: One of the Lions biggest holes this season has been in the middle of the defensive line, where Tyrunn Walker is out for the year, Haloti Ngata has been on-and-off the field and both are free agents after the season. Caraun Reid has been an improving piece. Gabe Wright has barely played and the Lions have no real defensive presence in the middle of the line. Nkemdiche, a former top prospect in the country, would make a different against the run and the pass.

OLB Jaylon Smith, Notre Dame
Why would he fit: This could be a scheme question but if the Lions stick with a 4-3 and stick with Teryl Austin, he would be a great player in the system and in general. He’s a fantastic pass rusher, is strong against the run and could provide a great complement to DeAndre Levy. The only question would be is that he plays a similar position to Levy, so would it be the drafting of a replica at the position. But Smith could be special and could allow the Lions to move Levy around to different spots in the defense.

OT Ronnie Stanley, Notre Dame
Why he would fit: The Lions need a left tackle for a lot of reasons. First, it would allow Detroit to move Riley Reiff to right tackle, where he is likely a better fit and would allow the Lions to use LaAdrian Waddle or Cornelius Lucas or both as swing tackles. Stanley has helped Notre Dame become one of the top rushing offenses in college football and does well in pass protection. He’s the No. 9 prospect on Todd McShay’s board.

WR Laquon Treadwell, Ole Miss
Why he would fit: I first saw Treadwell, who goes by the Twitter handle @SuccessfulQuon, when he was a high school student considering going to Michigan. Even on the practice field outside of Chicago, he had the build and speed of a future NFL receiver. He had a nasty leg injury last year but has rebounded well so far. While receiver might not be an obvious need position for the Lions, they need an eventual replacement for Calvin Johnson. Treadwell would provide that immediately.

October 31st, 2015, 12:06 pm
National Champion

Post Re: Time to start Draft talk for 2016
I want Laremy Tunsil. Bosa might be a All-Pro DE, but assuming both play well and warrant huge extensions, I'd rather pay Tunsil one and protect the QB than pay 1/11th of the defense with the $, which doesn't work too well as evidenced by Suh.

I'd most prefer a trade-down, though. More depth is what this team needs to properly rebuild.

October 31st, 2015, 2:41 pm
Martha Firestone Ford

Shotty wrote:
I want Laremy Tunsil. Bosa might be a All-Pro DE, but assuming both play well and warrant huge extensions, I'd rather pay Tunsil one and protect the QB than pay 1/11th of the defense with the $, which doesn't work too well as evidenced by Suh.

I'd most prefer a trade-down, though. More depth is what this team needs to properly rebuild.

When it comes to paying defensive players, DE and Blitzing OLB's are the guys you want to pay the big bucks.

But, Tunsill is regarded, by far, as the best LT prospect in this draft.

October 31st, 2015, 6:27 pm
National Champion

BillySims wrote:
Shotty wrote:

When it comes to paying defensive players, DE and Blitzing OLB's are the guys you want to pay the big bucks.

But, Tunsill is regarded, by far, as the best LT prospect in this draft.

Yep. He was a 5 star recruit out of HS so dominating isn't new to him.

Tennessee, Jax, SD, Houston, Cleveland, SF, basically every team who'll probably pick around us already has a LT so I think it's a given that he's ours if we pick top 5 barring a trade-up.

October 31st, 2015, 10:40 pm
League MVP

We don't have to worry about anyone picking before us. We'll be #1.

November 1st, 2015, 11:56 am
Martha Firestone Ford

inheritedlionsfan wrote:

And we should trade it down a couple spots, for more picks, this year and next year, to someone needing a QB.

Possibly, twice.

Then draft nothing but offensive and defensive linemen. Let 100 guys fight for the 9 combined starting jobs.

It is time to quit accepting this garbage every year.

November 1st, 2015, 12:02 pm
NFL Team Captain

BillySims wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:

And we should trade it down a couple spots, for more picks, this year and next year, to someone needing a QB.

Possibly, twice.

Then draft nothing but offensive and defensive linemen. Let 100 guys fight for the 9 combined starting jobs.

Nobody wants the first pick anymore. We'll be stuck with it. So because you don't often get the opportunity, you must consider all options, and that includes QB.
Paxton Lynch anyone?

November 1st, 2015, 12:37 pm
RIP Killer

liontrax wrote:
BillySims wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:

Possibly, twice.

Nobody wants the first pick anymore. We'll be stuck with it. So because you don't often get the opportunity, you must consider all options, and that includes QB.
Paxton Lynch anyone?

Well, to be fair, if the Lions aren't interested in a new QB and there is a QB that comes out that many think is a franchise style QB that could become elite, then the number one pick will be something that can be moved. It all depends on who is picking in the top five, and how desperate they are for a QB. Teams will know that the Lions won't take a QB, but who is sitting there with the second pick? If that team is looking for a QB, and say the team picking at number four or five is looking for a QB, then a trade is possible, as long as whomever is the Lions GM doesn't expect a blood sacrifice to move the pick. It would also depend on what players are expected to be available at the spot we would trade to.

November 1st, 2015, 1:49 pm
Pro Bowl Player

I think a lot of people forget that the #1 pick isn't as much of a handcuff as it used to be either with the rookie wage scale. If this were five years ago I agree that nobody would want that #1 pick in a trade but now not so much.

November 1st, 2015, 2:04 pm
3rd Round Selection

Not sure why the author choose Ronnie Stanley over Laremy Tunsil but either way the Lions need a stud left tackle and it's almost impossible to find one in free agency or in later portions of the draft. Sad thing is they could use a DT and DE just as bad as well as a CB.

November 2nd, 2015, 9:14 pm
All State

Tunsil hasn't played at all this year due to a knee injury and as of now nobody is sure if he will come back 100% or not.

November 2nd, 2015, 9:57 pm
Pro Bowl Player

I believe he played recently against Auburn and Texas A&M and the reason he had been sitting out is he was suspended for taking illegal benefits.

November 2nd, 2015, 10:12 pm
League MVP

In looking over the roster, I think I'd still prefer a stud defensive talent in the top 5. At DT we have 3 OK guys, assuming Walker comes back healthy and we re-sign him, Reid and Wright (just realized now how funny that is). I doubt we bring Ngata back. At DE Ziggy is a stud, Taylor is a good rotational guy and Tapp and Jones are both old guys who are free agents. At LB we have Levy if he is healthy. Tulloch should be a cap casualty, Whitehead is a free agent and IDK why he isn't playing this season. Lewis is just a guy and also a free agent. In the secondary Slay regressed this season, Mathis is aging and Ihedigbo should be gone the second his contract expires. So really help at any level of the defense would be a good pick. Having another superstar DT here would make a big difference. I wouldn't hate a LT pick because that would move Reiff over to RT and I think that would set the line (assuming the new coaching staff utilizes a scheme that plays to their strengths).

November 4th, 2015, 12:02 am
National Champion

I think Jalen Ramsey will be a Pro Bowler in no time, so he's a guy I wouldn't oppose to at all. I see some Sean Taylor in him. Lengthy, athletic, fast, never gives up on a play, hits hard, good instincts, and just sounds like a football player in his interviews.

November 4th, 2015, 4:59 pm
3rd Round Selection

They've gotta make a splash in free agency. The draft, for all it's advantages is still a crapshoot. I'd take either a premier LT or DT in FA depending on who shakes lose, and then get the other in round 1 of the draft. Once we have a top flight LT, move Reiff to RT, use Waddle as a backup and suddenly our biggest weakness (OL) will start to look like a strength.

Also, we need someone at CB to replace Mathis, he might not show his age all that much, but it's better not to wait for that to happen. Amukamara might be available and I think he might be worth a gamble, sign him and let him compete with Mathis and Carter, I still have some hope left for him. Sean Smith is also another intriguing possibility at CB. At DT, Sammie Lee Hill and Fairley might also be available, signing one of them won't be such a bad move for our dilapidated D-line who will have the #1 DT by this point.

Round 2 would be good spot to pick another WR for development, with all the Calvin trade talk, it's better to have insurance. Starting round 3, they can go purely BPA because the needs would have been addressed by then.

November 4th, 2015, 5:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 77 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next