View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 18th, 2018, 8:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Time to start Draft talk for 2016 
Veteran NFL Head Coach

Post Re: Time to start Draft talk for 2016
UK Lion wrote:
If you move Reiff to right tackle, I bet his agent still demands LT money when his contract is up. He's shown he can be a starting LT in the NFL - maybe not as good as we'd like, but some team out there would play him starting LT money (not premier LT money, but good enough).

i absolutely agree with you and i dont think you want to pay a RT $8m dollars which Reiff would be. I ve been throwing around some ideas on what I d like to see happen in the offseason. I like both Stanley and Tunsil in the draft but they wont be there at No 16 so if the Lions want an immediate upgrade at LT that means signing someone big like Glenn or Okung and possibly Beachum although he might not be ready for the start of the season. Again you dont want to pay big for the LT and then $8m/yr for the RT so you draft Conklin or Decker at No 16 and trade Reiff to a team that wants him at LT and extends his deal. Might be worth a 2nd or a 3rd rd pick.

January 27th, 2016, 11:01 pm
3rd Round Selection

Any of you guys following the senior bowl practices? I'm getting my info only from the NFL network, and so far Reggie Ragland seems to be standing out among others. I've been so singularly focused on OT and DT that I've boxed myself, but this week has opened my eyes about Ragland. With Tully slowing down, we could use an every down MLB, pair him with Levy on ROLB and Bynes/Whitehead at LOLB, and we make it very tough to run, or complete those screens/short/intermediate passes.

While ILB isn't as big a need as DT and OT yet, this class is deep at DT and we could find a good enough one in rounds 2 or 3.

January 28th, 2016, 1:52 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

Moving on from Reiff is just a terrible idea. He's a good to very good LT that has stayed very healthy and consistent over his career so far. He doesn't stand out but he isn't an easy player to find either. The Lions need to resign him before FA, he isn't going to draw big LT money and he fills a very important spot on the team. He gives the Lions so many options while also serving as a safety valve in case they can't land a better LT in FA and also should be easy to move a couple years into his new deal if they get a better LT while he serves as a RT. If the Lions let him hit FA they risk having no OTs after the offseason and being forced into targeting a position in the draft. They're in a very good roster position right now with not having any holes that pigeon hole them into anything in the draft.

January 28th, 2016, 2:21 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

rao wrote:
Moving on from Reiff is just a terrible idea. He's a good to very good LT that has stayed very healthy and consistent over his career so far. He doesn't stand out but he isn't an easy player to find either. The Lions need to resign him before FA, he isn't going to draw big LT money and he fills a very important spot on the team. He gives the Lions so many options while also serving as a safety valve in case they can't land a better LT in FA and also should be easy to move a couple years into his new deal if they get a better LT while he serves as a RT. If the Lions let him hit FA they risk having no OTs after the offseason and being forced into targeting a position in the draft. They're in a very good roster position right now with not having any holes that pigeon hole them into anything in the draft.

I would have to disagree that Reiff is a very good LT. Also Reiff isnt a Free Agent this year as Mayhew picked up the option year on Reiff's rookie deal. One of Quinn's main objectives has to be improving an offensive line that has been atrocious and killed this team the past two years.

The Lions are in a bind with Reiff. He is a good value at LT on a rookie deal making $2m/yr but he s not a good value next year when his salary bumps up to $8m in line with players clearly better than him like Duane Brown, Eugene Monroe, Joe Staley, etc. His salary doesnt make him better and as best as I can tell he s been steady but hasnt shown much improvement in his first few years. OC Jim Bob Cooter slipped up in a media interview and basically said he thinks there should be consideration in moving Reiff to a different position. In other words the coaching staff isnt convinced that Reiff is a very good LT. The Lions this offseason may have an opportunity to build this the right way. This could be a a contrast to the Millen years. Every year we d see Backus struggle with mediocrity - then in the offseason hear the rumors that they would get a bonafide LT and find Backus another spot on the OL - only to never do the hard thing bc they had bigger holes at less important positions. Backus was never a dominant LT and while he did well against average starters he got taken to school routinely by the more athletic rush DEs in the division. Reiff is a different player but really is about the same level as Backus - starting caliber play but never mentioned among the best or even the above average at the position. Reiff will attract some attention on the open market but will never be a dominant player and is a classic player to be overpaid bc of the importance of the position rather than his level of play. Without question, Reiff is not a dominant LT. If Okung and Glenn hit the market this year, the Lions have a chance to finally go back to the Lomas Brown days and get a dominant LT but to balance out the roster they cant afford to pay Reiff LT money to play RT.

Again, there is no risk that the Lions would lose Reiff without having brought in another OT first since they have Reiff currently under contract for 2016. The Lions would secure a LT first before moving Reiff hopefully prior to the draft where they could then draft an upgrade over Waddle/Lucas and with more upside than Ola and at a discounted rookie contract rate. If the Lions cant make the free agent signing happen then they can go forward with Reiff and look to upgrade the line elsewhere but unless Reiff steps up his level of play or they hit a grand slam in the draft the improvement on the line wont be as dramatic.

January 29th, 2016, 1:18 pm
Team MVP

Reiff is better than average, but I wouldn't put him in the very good category at LT. He can be a very good RT tackle though, and with average salaries being only a million or so off, you can't say he'd be overpaid at $8 million this year, which is just a single year cap hit. The average tackle salary is about $7 million per year, and the highest cap hit for a RT in 2016 currently is $7 million. We don't know what savings would be found in a longer contract, but someone who will be better at RT, but CAN play LT if needed due to injury is worth the cost. As we saw this year, you can't only worry about the starting five, you need to pay for competent depth because injuries are a reality in the league. And yes, your starting RT will always be the best option for LT if there's an injury, so RT1 = LT2 if LT1 goes down.

So as the cap jumps $10 million from last year, to cry foul over a $2million dollar hike on a final contract year and giving that as the reason preventing you from moving him to a position he'd be better at, is a dumb move. If he demands $14 million a year, move on, but $7-8 a year is perfectly average for all tackles. He would never get top LT money, so it's a mute argument. There is nothing wrong with laying him average LT money and have him still play RT.

January 29th, 2016, 2:15 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

njroar wrote:
Reiff is better than average, but I wouldn't put him in the very good category at LT. He can be a very good RT tackle though, and with average salaries being only a million or so off, you can't say he'd be overpaid at $8 million this year, which is just a single year cap hit. The average tackle salary is about $7 million per year, and the highest cap hit for a RT in 2016 currently is $7 million. We don't know what savings would be found in a longer contract, but someone who will be better at RT, but CAN play LT if needed due to injury is worth the cost. As we saw this year, you can't only worry about the starting five, you need to pay for competent depth because injuries are a reality in the league. And yes, your starting RT will always be the best option for LT if there's an injury, so RT1 = LT2 if LT1 goes down.

So as the cap jumps $10 million from last year, to cry foul over a $2million dollar hike on a final contract year and giving that as the reason preventing you from moving him to a position he'd be better at, is a dumb move. If he demands $14 million a year, move on, but $7-8 a year is perfectly average for all tackles. He would never get top LT money, so it's a mute argument. There is nothing wrong with laying him average LT money and have him still play RT.

Okay so lets start with facts - 2015 Reiff cap hit = $2.5 m and he s under contract for 2016 at 8.1m. Difference of $5.5m and to put that in perspective he made under $8m his first 4 years combined. There is value in having guys on there rookie deals that are filling a spot with average performance but all of a sudden they arent so shiny when you are paying them in one year more than you paid them in 4. Usually with that kind of a difference, you would need to get quite a bit better production and Reiff just isnt an upside LT. He s hanging on bc they ve modified the scheme for Stafford to get the ball out quick and despite being one of the top QBs in getting the ball out quickly, Stafford s still taking punishment at a rate among the worst in the league. Im not blaming that entirely on Reiff but he s far from exempt and lets not forget he was among the worst LT in the league this season until JBC dramatically changed the offense and protection schemes.

The next issue is how to make this offensive line actually better, keep Stafford upright and maybe be able to throw a few balls downfield without risking the season ending immediately on those plays. The RT spot is a hole and the LT spot can be upgraded while the interior question marks Tomlinson and Swanson get a little more development bc of the investment the Lions placed on them and bc again they are a better value at this point in there careers since they are cheaper. From an on the field football perspective I like the idea of signing the big time LT and flipping Reiff to the RT. The cap however is a reality and so is it that Reiff would be an upgrade for some teams at LT and he has an agent that is getting paid to point that out in negotiations. Reiff's $8.1m 2016 salary is more than the cap hit of any RT in the NFL in 2015. I expect him to be an upgrade at RT compared to what the Lions put out there in 2015 but I dont see him as among the best in the league. He does not fit the classic profile of a RT.

So in this situation (signing a LT and keeping Reiff but at RT), the Lions have about $20m/year locked up in there tackles and still need a starting CB, LB, SS, a couple DTs, a DE, probably another WR and RB and a couple guys at TE. If they are really smart with the cap maybe they can still get things to work out.

What do you gain by signing a LT and then trading Reiff? I think you gain a lot of cap flexibility with which you can probably get 2 good veterans with, probably have to burn the 1st rd pick to get a rookie that will still be an upgrade at RT yet locked in for 4-5 years - and you add maybe a 3rd rd pick where you can probably still get a starting DT (a position of need that luckily happens to be deep in this draft).

January 29th, 2016, 3:17 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

DayDreamer wrote:
Any of you guys following the senior bowl practices? I'm getting my info only from the NFL network, and so far Reggie Ragland seems to be standing out among others. I've been so singularly focused on OT and DT that I've boxed myself, but this week has opened my eyes about Ragland. With Tully slowing down, we could use an every down MLB, pair him with Levy on ROLB and Bynes/Whitehead at LOLB, and we make it very tough to run, or complete those screens/short/intermediate passes.

While ILB isn't as big a need as DT and OT yet, this class is deep at DT and we could find a good enough one in rounds 2 or 3.

I have heard a lot on the radio of Lions fans wanting Ragland as the 1st rd pick and I just dont see it. First of all, the Lions under Teryl Austin are usually using two LBs most of the time and they can simply re-sign Tahir Whitehead for a relatively low cost if they want a 3down linebacker that can cover and play the run. Levy s return makes the position pretty strong. Josh Bynes can step in on run downs and isnt so bad in coverage either. Tulloch obviously should be cut bc of his cost being out of proportion with his recent level of play. Im not saying Ragland is a bad player - he s not and I like how he plays -but where does he fit in? He s a big linebacker, one that works best in run defense and that seems to be a secondary concern for NFL DC these days at least as it pertains to what they want out of the LBs. Sure they need to tackle but a 1st rd LB has to be able to be a major factor in either coverage or as a passrusher and Im not sure Ragland would be a better passrusher than a DE taken in that spot and in coverage would he be better than Levy and Whitehead?

January 29th, 2016, 3:40 pm
Team MVP

The Legend wrote:
njroar wrote:

Okay so lets start with facts - 2015 Reiff cap hit = $2.5 m and he s under contract for 2016 at 8.1m. Difference of $5.5m and to put that in perspective he made under $8m his first 4 years combined. There is value in having guys on there rookie deals that are filling a spot with average performance but all of a sudden they arent so shiny when you are paying them in one year more than you paid them in 4. Usually with that kind of a difference, you would need to get quite a bit better production and Reiff just isnt an upside LT. He s hanging on bc they ve modified the scheme for Stafford to get the ball out quick and despite being one of the top QBs in getting the ball out quickly, Stafford s still taking punishment at a rate among the worst in the league. Im not blaming that entirely on Reiff but he s far from exempt and lets not forget he was among the worst LT in the league this season until JBC dramatically changed the offense and protection schemes.

The next issue is how to make this offensive line actually better, keep Stafford upright and maybe be able to throw a few balls downfield without risking the season ending immediately on those plays. The RT spot is a hole and the LT spot can be upgraded while the interior question marks Tomlinson and Swanson get a little more development bc of the investment the Lions placed on them and bc again they are a better value at this point in there careers since they are cheaper. From an on the field football perspective I like the idea of signing the big time LT and flipping Reiff to the RT. The cap however is a reality and so is it that Reiff would be an upgrade for some teams at LT and he has an agent that is getting paid to point that out in negotiations. Reiff's $8.1m 2016 salary is more than the cap hit of any RT in the NFL in 2015. I expect him to be an upgrade at RT compared to what the Lions put out there in 2015 but I dont see him as among the best in the league. He does not fit the classic profile of a RT.

So in this situation (signing a LT and keeping Reiff but at RT), the Lions have about $20m/year locked up in there tackles and still need a starting CB, LB, SS, a couple DTs, a DE, probably another WR and RB and a couple guys at TE. If they are really smart with the cap maybe they can still get things to work out.

What do you gain by signing a LT and then trading Reiff? I think you gain a lot of cap flexibility with which you can probably get 2 good veterans with, probably have to burn the 1st rd pick to get a rookie that will still be an upgrade at RT yet locked in for 4-5 years - and you add maybe a 3rd rd pick where you can probably still get a starting DT (a position of need that luckily happens to be deep in this draft).

You're gonna pay more than $8million for a top LT in FA, and you have zero clue about anyone taken in the draft. His cap hit of $8mil is $1 million higher than the highest RT in 2016, but if you sign a longer deal, you can bring that number down to bring him in line with other RT's and average LT's. It's worth a little more for someone who knows the system and has been consistent and healthy. You have zero clue if a rookie is going to be better or worse, and with the rookie wages, you can draft one for depth, but you're not going to drop Reiff until you know you have a replacement, so there's no way to eliminate Reiff's $8 million unless you sign him to a longer term deal or cut him outright (again, not an option). And it doesn't matter if he's the best in the league, he only has to be better than what we put out there last year.

January 29th, 2016, 4:20 pm
Team MVP

DayDreamer wrote:

Whitehead only wants to sign as a MLB which is the position he's had the best success under Austin. He couldn't even break the starting lineup on the outside in 2015, even with Levy injured. If we're not resigning Whitehead, Ragland could be an option. But don't expect Whitehead to stick around if you're drafting a MLB.

January 29th, 2016, 4:23 pm
3rd Round Selection

njroar wrote:
Whitehead only wants to sign as a MLB which is the position he's had the best success under Austin. He couldn't even break the starting lineup on the outside in 2015, even with Levy injured. If we're not resigning Whitehead, Ragland could be an option. But don't expect Whitehead to stick around if you're drafting a MLB.

Thankfully, Whitehead can be extended before the draft. We can keep him as a backup/failsafe for a year behind Ragland, then trade/cut him. I don't think Whitehead will command a big contract so we can play around if needed.

Speaking of contracts, Lane Johnson just got a 5 year 63 million extension from the Eagles. This complicates the Reiff situation a little, I still wouldn't be opposed to drafting a premier LT at #16 if one is available, then moving Rieff to RT. But if the good ones are all gone by the time we pick, I'd look at drafting a solid RT in the second or third. All that if we don't get a good FA OT signed by then.

January 29th, 2016, 6:20 pm
RIP Killer

DayDreamer wrote:
njroar wrote:

Thankfully, Whitehead can be extended before the draft. We can keep him as a backup/failsafe for a year behind Ragland, then trade/cut him. I don't think Whitehead will command a big contract so we can play around if needed.

Speaking of contracts, Lane Johnson just got a 5 year 63 million extension from the Eagles. This complicates the Reiff situation a little, I still wouldn't be opposed to drafting a premier LT at #16 if one is available, then moving Rieff to RT. But if the good ones are all gone by the time we pick, I'd look at drafting a solid RT in the second or third. All that if we don't get a good FA OT signed by then.

Why was Lane Johnson extended? He was just selected in 2013.

And people are saying we should wait to extend Ziggy, who was selected one pick after Johnson in the same year. I think the Eagles got the right idea. If you can lock that person up now, and you have the cap space to do it, lock them up into a deal. The longer the Lions wait, the more Ansah will cost them.

January 30th, 2016, 12:20 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

njroar wrote:
The Legend wrote:
njroar wrote:

You're gonna pay more than $8million for a top LT in FA, and you have zero clue about anyone taken in the draft. His cap hit of $8mil is $1 million higher than the highest RT in 2016, but if you sign a longer deal, you can bring that number down to bring him in line with other RT's and average LT's. It's worth a little more for someone who knows the system and has been consistent and healthy. You have zero clue if a rookie is going to be better or worse, and with the rookie wages, you can draft one for depth, but you're not going to drop Reiff until you know you have a replacement, so there's no way to eliminate Reiff's $8 million unless you sign him to a longer term deal or cut him outright (again, not an option). And it doesn't matter if he's the best in the league, he only has to be better than what we put out there last year.

I feel confident that Conklin or Decker would be better than the RT combination of Waddle/Lucas and Ill hang onto Michael Ola for relative pennies as insurance. Im getting something for Reiff in the scenario with a draft pick as well as cap flexibility.

January 30th, 2016, 10:06 pm
RIP Killer

Here are the Lions choices regarding Reiff;

1. Retain him as a LT, pay him what he is due, and keep the RT situation as is with Ola, Lucas and Robinson. Not very attractive.
2. Move Reiff to RT, pay him what he is due, and look for a FA upgrade at LT, which will cost about $6-8$ in 2016 (at least) against the cap. It would help short term, but expect Reiff to be gone in 2017.
3. Cut Reiff and save the $8M, sign a FA LT, keep the RT situation as is. Still not attractive.
4. Cut Reiff, save the $8M, sign a FA LT, and draft a RT in the early rounds. Could work out, but it depends on who is signed and who is drafted.
5. Extend Reiff to a long term deal, thereby lowering his cap hit in 2016. Use the money saved to sign an offensive tackle, either right or left. Then, move Reiff accordingly to make the line as strong as is possible. Once he's signed to an extension, the Lions can move him where they want.

Personally, I like option number five. Give him an extension, lower his cap number, get another offensive tackle of starting quality, and put the pieces where they are most effective.

January 31st, 2016, 5:42 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

m2karateman wrote:

1. Retain him as a LT, pay him what he is due, and keep the RT situation as is with Ola, Lucas and Robinson. Not very attractive.
2. Move Reiff to RT, pay him what he is due, and look for a FA upgrade at LT, which will cost about $6-8$ in 2016 (at least) against the cap. It would help short term, but expect Reiff to be gone in 2017.
3. Cut Reiff and save the $8M, sign a FA LT, keep the RT situation as is. Still not attractive.
4. Cut Reiff, save the $8M, sign a FA LT, and draft a RT in the early rounds. Could work out, but it depends on who is signed and who is drafted.
5. Extend Reiff to a long term deal, thereby lowering his cap hit in 2016. Use the money saved to sign an offensive tackle, either right or left. Then, move Reiff accordingly to make the line as strong as is possible. Once he's signed to an extension, the Lions can move him where they want.

Personally, I like option number five. Give him an extension, lower his cap number, get another offensive tackle of starting quality, and put the pieces where they are most effective.

#5 is also what I was trying to say they should do. Reiff is a good enough player to extend and if he ends up being an over payed RT it wont hurt to much. It also just makes the OT position much easier to fix because if you use a draft pick to get another OT you can try him on both sides without worrying about the LT spot.

January 31st, 2016, 6:04 pm
Team MVP

m2karateman wrote:

#5 is the only option that doesn't leave us with the big question mark on the OLine like we had last year. Even paying him $8million this year (a $2 million difference between what you'd usually pay a RT) is a better option than an unknown, or Ola/Lucas/Robinson. That doesn't mean you can't draft someone to take that spot, but you don't take Reiff off the table because you can. If an extension lowers the cap hit, that lowers the difference and it's worth it UNTIL you know a draft pick is the better option. There's still very little guarantees in contract, so if you find someone better, you can cut him and not be responsible for any of it. Think of it as a contingency plan. We have no guarantees any of the top LT FA's would want to come here, and we have no guarantees that any decent OT spots will be available when we pick. We are guaranteed of having Reiff on the roster right now, and you don't get rid of a guarantee on a chance we might improve it. Because there's the same chance that we get worse at that position at this point in time.

January 31st, 2016, 6:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next