View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 10th, 2018, 10:48 am



Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 offensive tackles 
Author Message
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 10068
Location: Dallas
Post Re: offensive tackles
Jafo wrote:
Pablo wrote:
Team focus on big $ positions in round one (QB, LT, DE). Part of it makes sense, if you can get a good player at one of those positions on a rookie contract you have done yourself a big favor.


This is mostly PR. The assertion is you must have a 'Franchise' quarterback. After that you have to protect him and after that you have to pressure the opposing 'Franchise' quarterback. This is what fans are told because it is a simple answer and it matches up with their focus, which is always on the ball and mostly on the quarterback. The truth is that it is much more complicated, but because this is what fans are told and they are the costumers, you cater to them if the perception is these are areas of need.

This doesn't mean you don't need quality players at these positions and you make a very good point about getting quality at bargain prices via the draft. The trouble is that teams will reach on these positions to cater to the fans.

Image

PR? Look at the average salary of starting positions, the top three are QB, DE and LT. I didn't say anything here about a franchise QB I was simply looking at economics. If you can get one of the higher paid positions on a rookie contract you have made a cap friendly move which will in turn give you more flexibility elsewhere.

If I have fairly similar grades on prospects and I can potentially plug them into one of these spots (or CB), I'm giving that spot and edge in the draft.

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


April 28th, 2016, 9:53 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 10408
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: offensive tackles
Absolutely certain positions hold greater value, and you can see in the draft history how teams will reach for certain positions over others. Quarterbacks over any other. Pass rushers and blind side protectors about on par....cover corners next followed closely by big receivers with speed, I think. After that, I think it is entirely based on individual talent and team need.

_________________
I will not put on blinders when it comes to our QBs performances.


April 28th, 2016, 4:27 pm
Profile
Mr. Irrelevant

Joined: February 10th, 2005, 6:52 pm
Posts: 974
Location: Linden, MI
Post Re: offensive tackles
m2karateman wrote:
Here's what I've found in watching the draft for years.....DO NOT take players that make late season rises up draft boards. Make no mistake, there are those players who have been late risers that have worked out pretty well. Kuechly comes to mind for Carolina. But what I've seen is that players who were highly ranked at the beginning of a college season, and then drop somewhat have actually had better success. Of course, that all depends on what caused their drop. Multiple red flags (like on Johnny Manziel or Justin Blackmon) should not be ignored. But if a player has a small altercation or some misunderstanding that gets blown up in the media, he may fall and end up being a pretty solid football player.

Sometimes personality issues are more easily resolved than injury issues. But a player who falls down in the draft, particularly because of a poor Combine or pro day workout.....I'd draft them quicker than anticipated. What they put on tape is what should count the most.


I don't want to attack your premise or your point here, but I do think the 'late season riser' is a creation of media coverage more than it is of a player climbing up the actual NFL draft boards in the last week or two prior to the draft. I think the NFL guys know who they like, and the media spends alot of time trying to sort it out and keep you reading. Flashy news about the rising stock keeps us clicking and reading. As fans, I think it is tough for us to know really if Ezekeal Elliot really climbed from 22 to 4 during the 'process' or if the scouts had privately been saying that for the whole time. We aren't close enough to really know what the inside word really is.

Your point about late bloomers is mostly right in my mind. One big season generally doesn't indicate that you have arrived, but there are clearly exceptions as you had indicated.

_________________
OK. Schwartz is fired, the fans are happy, now what?


April 28th, 2016, 4:39 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 10408
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: offensive tackles
jrd66 wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
Here's what I've found in watching the draft for years.....DO NOT take players that make late season rises up draft boards. Make no mistake, there are those players who have been late risers that have worked out pretty well. Kuechly comes to mind for Carolina. But what I've seen is that players who were highly ranked at the beginning of a college season, and then drop somewhat have actually had better success. Of course, that all depends on what caused their drop. Multiple red flags (like on Johnny Manziel or Justin Blackmon) should not be ignored. But if a player has a small altercation or some misunderstanding that gets blown up in the media, he may fall and end up being a pretty solid football player.

Sometimes personality issues are more easily resolved than injury issues. But a player who falls down in the draft, particularly because of a poor Combine or pro day workout.....I'd draft them quicker than anticipated. What they put on tape is what should count the most.


I don't want to attack your premise or your point here, but I do think the 'late season riser' is a creation of media coverage more than it is of a player climbing up the actual NFL draft boards in the last week or two prior to the draft. I think the NFL guys know who they like, and the media spends alot of time trying to sort it out and keep you reading. Flashy news about the rising stock keeps us clicking and reading. As fans, I think it is tough for us to know really if Ezekeal Elliot really climbed from 22 to 4 during the 'process' or if the scouts had privately been saying that for the whole time. We aren't close enough to really know what the inside word really is.

Your point about late bloomers is mostly right in my mind. One big season generally doesn't indicate that you have arrived, but there are clearly exceptions as you had indicated.


I'm not even really talking about the players having a big season. I'm talking about the players who seem to rise after their Combine and Pro Day workouts. If a player had a quiet college career until his final season, there could be a host of reasons for it. That has to be investigated and worked through. But there have been some players who have had tremendous sophomore or junior seasons, and then fall somewhat because their following season wasn't quite as good. Those players are ones I would prefer over the ones who weren't that well known until after they have declared for the draft, and then they rise dramatically because of a strong workout. It doesn't happen as much now as it has in the past. But occasionally it does still happen. And those players usually bust.

_________________
I will not put on blinders when it comes to our QBs performances.


April 29th, 2016, 6:11 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.