View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 19th, 2018, 9:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Early Draft Talk 
Veteran NFL Head Coach

Post Re: Early Draft Talk
Draft Derek Barnett

March 18th, 2017, 4:12 pm
NFL Team Captain

The Legend wrote:
Draft Derek Barnett

Be surprised if he's there. I realize it's still a little early for accurate talent boards, but it seems the current consensus is top 15. Doesn't mean he won't be there though, he could slide. Plus, the closer we get to d-day the more accurate the boards should become. Such a good year for DE's, maybe we'll get 2. I'm hoping for a LB in the 1st.

March 18th, 2017, 6:08 pm
League MVP

The Legend wrote:
Draft Derek Barnett

He's been on my top 3 wish list since the offseason started, but am willing to bet he won't be there.

March 19th, 2017, 11:11 am
Veteran NFL Head Coach

kdsberman wrote:
The Legend wrote:
Draft Derek Barnett

He's been on my top 3 wish list since the offseason started, but am willing to bet he won't be there.

Id put the odds at 40% he s there- 60% he s not.

Scouts Inc has him at 20, McShay has him at 22, Kiper has him at 23. CBS guys have him top 11. I thought initially there would be no chance he could fall to the Lions but it appears he definitely could. With Soloman Thomas and Taco rising up the boards fast, Barnett seems to be falling down a bit even though to me he has the best pass rush arsenal and instincts in the entire draft. He reminds me of Elvis Dumervil in a way in that people are not quite trusting his tape bc of ht, weight, measurables. Barnett wont have nearly the draft day fall that Dumervill had but could fall behind a couple guys that are bigger like Taco and Thomas or even McKinley and Harris who might be better 3-4 OLB fits. Also have to factor in the late rise the QBs usually ascend to and that RBs are back in style now and possibly 3 could go in front of the Lions as teams may be afraid to let Detroit have a shot at there guy.

In the 2nd round I really like FSU Demarcus Walker who could be a DE also and there are some athletic OLB options though again they might be more of 3-4 fit type players. I think the Lions need to find a way to get the athleticism on the field and have some hybrid guys that can rush. I dont think the Lions should be taking the classic 4-3 LB type players early in this draft as they are undervalued and can usually find them a bit later or find guys who can step in off the street and play 2 downs for you during the season.

March 21st, 2017, 12:38 am
Rookie Player of the Year

I don't think Barnett falls far enough. His testing numbers weren't that bad and I think he actually tested better than some experts thought he would. With the gap between the combine/pro days and the draft I see Barnett's tape moving him back up the boards past some of the workout warriors.

March 21st, 2017, 10:05 am
NFL Team Captain

From what I've seen in scouting reports, Barnett, although not a " quick twitch " type of player, is tough and relentless. He does have a large body of work at Tennessee. Going BPA, I could see the Lions taking a DE, LB, RB, WR, or even a TE at 21. So many DB's, I'd be surprised if we take one in the 1st. Hoping for a trade down.

March 21st, 2017, 10:51 am
Martha Firestone Ford

If Dalvin Cook is there at 21, he is my pick. I know we need defense. But, Dalvin makes our offense so good that we will rarely punt, let alone go 3 and out. That helps our defense more than any 1 defensive player.

March 21st, 2017, 2:05 pm
NFL Team Captain

BillySims wrote:
If Dalvin Cook is there at 21, he is my pick. I know we need defense. But, Dalvin makes our offense so good that we will rarely punt, let alone go 3 and out. That helps our defense more than any 1 defensive player.

Dalvin Cook's extensive injury history scares me. We already have an injury prone RB, and the physicality of the game only increases in the Pro's.

March 21st, 2017, 3:38 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

Pass on Cook. He has multiple arrests, multiple procedures to his shoulders, and multiple fumbles. Even worse he doesn't have good hands and isn't a powerful runner between the tackles. It's nice that he has the long speed to score on any play, but I think the Lions need to find a more complete running back if they are drafting him in the first round. If the Lions are going to pick a guy that like to punch women then give me Mixon later in the draft. I would hate to see Cook or McCaffrey picked by the Lions on draft day unless one of them fell to the second round.

March 21st, 2017, 4:48 pm
NFL Team Captain

I could live with McCaffrey as he presents so many possibilities and would be a match-up nightmare for defenses. Given, that he's a little light for a true 3 down back. There will be alot of bigger backs available in the middle rounds, and that's when the Lions should add one. Realistically, we have to many needs on defense to draft a back in the 1st not named Fournette. But if McCaffrey ends up in Green Bay, I'll be pissed.

March 21st, 2017, 5:18 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

rao wrote:
Pass on Cook. He has multiple arrests, multiple procedures to his shoulders, and multiple fumbles. Even worse he doesn't have good hands and isn't a powerful runner between the tackles. It's nice that he has the long speed to score on any play, but I think the Lions need to find a more complete running back if they are drafting him in the first round. If the Lions are going to pick a guy that like to punch women then give me Mixon later in the draft. I would hate to see Cook or McCaffrey picked by the Lions on draft day unless one of them fell to the second round.

I have the same thoughts on this. We ve seen it with Best, Bush, Abdullah and even Riddick. They are good but not every down backs. Bush and Abdullah were pretty sketch in the passing game with simple throws turning into turnovers or near turnovers and none of them are particularly durable. I think Cook would be signigicantly better than any of them but the frame scares me enough, he s a decent but not true bw the tackles runner, fumbles which I think doesnt get mentioned enough not to mention the off the field stuff.

The Lions need there Mikel LeShoure but they need him to not tear his Achilles the moment he steps onto the practice field and then not care.

I honestly really really like Mixon, I think he s the real deal as a runner. Its just, would they or wouldnt they take him? At least he didnt hit his girlfriend and the girl did kind of come towards him but pretty hard to defend what he did with his reaction. Not sure that can be contained and more problems could follow in time.

Just getting started looking through the RBs but havent found the later round guy I really want. Last year it was Howard and I couldnt believe he fell as far as he did and crushed to see him go to a rival.

March 22nd, 2017, 5:26 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

liontrax wrote:
I could live with McCaffrey as he presents so many possibilities and would be a match-up nightmare for defenses. Given, that he's a little light for a true 3 down back. There will be alot of bigger backs available in the middle rounds, and that's when the Lions should add one. Realistically, we have to many needs on defense to draft a back in the 1st not named Fournette. But if McCaffrey ends up in Green Bay, I'll be pissed.

I feel like Riddick at least causes "unpleasant dreams" on defenses in similar situations that McCaffrey would and doesnt burn up our first round pick which I think is what you are concluding also. I agree it would hurt to get gashed on defense by McCaffrey and have to counter with papercuts by Riddick but the Lions really need that pick to boost that defense not just this year but for the next few years.

Last edited by The Legend on March 22nd, 2017, 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 22nd, 2017, 5:44 pm
NFL Team Captain

The Legend wrote:
rao wrote:

I have the same thoughts on this. We ve seen it with Best, Bush, Abdullah and even Riddick. They are good but not every down backs. Bush and Abdullah were pretty sketch in the passing game with simple throws turning into turnovers or near turnovers and none of them are particularly durable. I think Cook would be signigicantly better than any of them but the frame scares me enough, he s a decent but not true bw the tackles runner, fumbles which I think doesnt get mentioned enough not to mention the off the field stuff.

The Lions need there Mikel LeShoure but they need him to not tear his Achilles the moment he steps onto the practice field and then not care.

I honestly really really like Mixon, I think he s the real deal as a runner. Its just, would they or wouldnt they take him? At least he didnt hit his girlfriend and the girl did kind of come towards him but pretty hard to defend what he did with his reaction. Not sure that can be contained and more problems could follow in time.

Just getting started looking through the RBs but havent found the later round guy I really want. Last year it was Howard and I couldnt believe he fell as far as he did and crushed to see him go to a rival.

I like Mixon as well. Prototypical size, good speed, can catch. If he's truly contrite over his actions, he should be considered. I'm sure Quinn has done the homework on him, and Caldwell is big on second chances. So, if he's still there, in the 3rd? Or 4th?
I don't know at what point you gamble a pick.
He will play for somebody. Is what he did worse than what Peterson did to a child? Or, Ray Lewis pleading guilty to obstruction of justice after being charged with two counts of murder. Or, Roethlisberger twice accused of sexual assault (never convicted).
Mike Vick? Minnesota Vikings Love Boat, not a single player was suspended over the matter.

March 22nd, 2017, 6:44 pm
Martha Firestone Ford

liontrax wrote:
The Legend wrote:
rao wrote:

I like Mixon as well. Prototypical size, good speed, can catch. If he's truly contrite over his actions, he should be considered. I'm sure Quinn has done the homework on him, and Caldwell is big on second chances. So, if he's still there, in the 3rd? Or 4th?
He will play for somebody. Is what he did worse than what Peterson did to a child? Or, Ray Lewis pleading guilty to obstruction of justice after being charged with two counts of murder. Or, Roethlisberger twice accused of sexual assault (never convicted).
Mike Vick? Minnesota Vikings Love Boat, not a single player was suspended over the matter.

Mixon will not be there in the 3rd or 4th round. If we want him, we will have to use #21 overall on him. Today's rumors say that the Raiders are going to pick him with #24 overall.

March 23rd, 2017, 12:32 am
NFL Team Captain

BillySims wrote:
liontrax wrote:
The Legend wrote:
rao wrote:

Mixon will not be there in the 3rd or 4th round. If we want him, we will have to use #21 overall on him. Today's rumors say that the Raiders are going to pick him with #24 overall.

I don't buy it. Smokescreen. As for the Lions drafting him at any point, I'd be amazed, as I don't see Fords giving the green light.

March 23rd, 2017, 4:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next