View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently May 25th, 2018, 3:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Early Draft Talk 
League MVP

Post Early Draft Talk
So, as of today, the Lions are picking 17th. Havent really put anything together myself yet, but looking around and seeing what OTHER people have come up with this early... Several are pointing at taking a RB. Am i the only Detroit fan that thinks that would be absolutely insane considering what this defense needs? I would probably throw up if we took ANY skill position.

Thoughts?

November 4th, 2016, 1:26 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: Early Draft Talk
kdsberman wrote:
So, as of today, the Lions are picking 17th. Havent really put anything together myself yet, but looking around and seeing what OTHER people have come up with this early... Several are pointing at taking a RB. Am i the only Detroit fan that thinks that would be absolutely insane considering what this defense needs? I would probably throw up if we took ANY skill position.

Thoughts?

Improving your run game can be the single biggest help to a defense. Take a look at Dallas who drafted a RB in the first round, their defense is terrible but with a ground game and even a rookie QB they are playing above their skill level.

That said, if you take a RB in the first round it better be a huge difference maker.

Finally, this team needs talent period. I would take my top rated period pretty much at any position in the first round. We passed on Aaron Donald in the first round a few years back with Suh and Fairly on the roster - how would he look now? You simply can't pass up great talent in round one, no matter what you have on the roster (exception being a QB, the exception to every NFL rule).

November 4th, 2016, 3:35 pm
Profile WWW
Pro Bowl Player

Pablo wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

Thoughts?

Improving your run game can be the single biggest help to a defense. Take a look at Dallas who drafted a RB in the first round, their defense is terrible but with a ground game and even a rookie QB they are playing above their skill level.

That said, if you take a RB in the first round it better be a huge difference maker.

Finally, this team needs talent period. I would take my top rated period pretty much at any position in the first round. We passed on Aaron Donald in the first round a few years back with Suh and Fairly on the roster - how would he look now? You simply can't pass up great talent in round one, no matter what you have on the roster (exception being a QB, the exception to every NFL rule).

This. Aaron Donald was the right pick when he was available that draft, and many of us wanted him when he made it to us, even with Suh and Fairley. Oh, what could have been. Oh well. As long as it's not a TE I won't be irrationally angry.

November 4th, 2016, 4:36 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
League MVP

Pablo wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

Thoughts?

Oh I agree 100% about the running game helping. But, is taking a RB what HELPS the run game in this situation? You said Dallas, but Dallas has probably the best O-line in the game. A little different situation than Detroit dont u think?

November 4th, 2016, 5:40 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

kdsberman wrote:
Pablo wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

Thoughts?

Oh I agree 100% about the running game helping. But, is taking a RB what HELPS the run game in this situation? You said Dallas, but Dallas has probably the best O-line in the game. A little different situation than Detroit dont u think?

I'm with you on this. The Lions don't need a new RB until their Oline gets better. Just look at Gurley this year to see a good example of what a top RB would be like for the Lions. The only concern is if Abdullah is able to come back from his foot injury, if he's able to get back to 100% then they have a perfectly serviceable if not better than average back field.

November 4th, 2016, 5:50 pm
Martha Firestone Ford

There are two early 1st round quality RB's in this year's draft. Fournette and ( Kid from Stanford), can't remember his name right now.

November 4th, 2016, 9:35 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

rao wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
Pablo wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

Thoughts?

I'm with you on this. The Lions don't need a new RB until their Oline gets better. Just look at Gurley this year to see a good example of what a top RB would be like for the Lions. The only concern is if Abdullah is able to come back from his foot injury, if he's able to get back to 100% then they have a perfectly serviceable if not better than average back field.

I agree RB should not be a Rd 1 priority for the Lions. Im not sure Gurely is a good example bc that seems to be more a function of defenses not having to worry about anyone else and stacking the box whereas with the Lions its subpar edge blocking and not having a bw the tackles runner.

Also, disagree about Abdullah. He s exciting but really not very productive even when healthy. Now he has a potential career ending injury and I would say he s a longshot to be starter material.

Lions should be looking for a back in the mid to later rounds. Missed an opportunity last year IMO by passing on Booker and Howard multiple times and the year before taking Abdullah over Tevin Coleman or David Johnson the year before.

November 5th, 2016, 1:53 am

The Legend wrote:
rao wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
Pablo wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

Thoughts?

I agree RB should not be a Rd 1 priority for the Lions. Im not sure Gurely is a good example bc that seems to be more a function of defenses not having to worry about anyone else and stacking the box whereas with the Lions its subpar edge blocking and not having a bw the tackles runner.

Also, disagree about Abdullah. He s exciting but really not very productive even when healthy. Now he has a potential career ending injury and I would say he s a longshot to be starter material.

Lions should be looking for a back in the mid to later rounds. Missed an opportunity last year IMO by passing on Booker and Howard multiple times and the year before taking Abdullah over Tevin Coleman or David Johnson the year before.

I have to disagree about Abdullah not being productive, he is a more balanced and quicker version of Riddick. He has averaged 4.3 yards per carry and 8 yards per catch in his career so far over 18 games. Your right about the injury since the Lions never say anything and given he had surgery we have to assume the worst about the severity. Do you know Legend, if it's possible he only tore the ligament in his foot without damaging the bones or cartilage and if that is any better or worse for a Lisfranc?

As for missing out last year on Booker and Howard you may be right on that, I think we will really see this week if Washington is again a healthy scratch. When it comes to Coleman he's at best equal when compared to Abdullah and is pretty bad at staying healthy. Coleman has only played in 1 more game and has very similar stats running. Catching he has a much better average, but he is playing with Julio Jones pulling defenses like CJ did in his prime so it makes it a little hard to compare them 1 to 1. David Johnson is really unfair to bring up since Arizona also wanted to take Abdullah, but the Lions interrupted Arizona's call with them to draft him one spot ahead.

November 5th, 2016, 9:26 am
League MVP

Fourenette would be huge but I'm hopeful there's stud defensive talent on the board at our pick. We need another starting caliber DE, probably 2 LBs a CB and a S.

November 5th, 2016, 11:05 am
Def. Coordinator – Teryl Austin

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
Fourenette would be huge but I'm hopeful there's stud defensive talent on the board at our pick. We need another starting caliber DE, probably 2 LBs a CB and a S.

And a DT or two. I'm hoping our draft is all defense and interior O linemen.

November 5th, 2016, 11:52 am
RIP Killer

I didn't say RB is a priority, I said I wouldn't shy away from one if he is the BPA. How many times have the Lions finished in the top 10 in rushing since Barry retired? Answer = 0. In fact, they have only finished in the top 20 once since then. How have the Lions fared since 1998?

BTW - a better running game might make the OL look a little better as well. Without a running threat it is much easier for defenses to gameplan against the Lions.

Did we pass on Calvin despite taking a WR year after year? No we took BPA despite not having a QB to throw to him. Guess that was the wrong decision as well...

You have to have a long-term approach to build a team with talent, not a short-term approach to plug holes. Plug holes in FA if you must, in the draft get the best talent possible.

November 5th, 2016, 1:33 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran NFL Head Coach

Quote:
I have to disagree about Abdullah not being productive, he is a more balanced and quicker version of Riddick. He has averaged 4.3 yards per carry and 8 yards per catch in his career so far over 18 games. Your right about the injury since the Lions never say anything and given he had surgery we have to assume the worst about the severity. Do you know Legend, if it's possible he only tore the ligament in his foot without damaging the bones or cartilage and if that is any better or worse for a Lisfranc?

As for missing out last year on Booker and Howard you may be right on that, I think we will really see this week if Washington is again a healthy scratch. When it comes to Coleman he's at best equal when compared to Abdullah and is pretty bad at staying healthy. Coleman has only played in 1 more game and has very similar stats running. Catching he has a much better average, but he is playing with Julio Jones pulling defenses like CJ did in his prime so it makes it a little hard to compare them 1 to 1. David Johnson is really unfair to bring up since Arizona also wanted to take Abdullah, but the Lions interrupted Arizona's call with them to draft him one spot ahead.

Maybe he has some production but i still find Abdullah being less of a success than advertised. From my vantage point Abdullah isnt close to Riddick in the passing game. He s quicker as a runner but still lacks the true breakaway speed. thats not a total indictment but he s a fumbler. All that said, Riddick isnt an ideal No 1 runner to me and I prefer Abdullah to him in that role (but Riddick is a better 3rd down back than Abdullah is a No1). I agree riddick and abdullah are similar in some ways but more bc neither is a good bw the tackles runner or a true every down back. they are both guys that you look for to get out in space or mismatched on a LB in coverage.

I think he has a Lis Franc ligament injury as opposed to a Lis Franc fracture. Both are bad but the Lis Franc ligamentous injury requiring surgery is worse but there is a varying degree of severity with either type of injury ie is there cartilage damage, duration, # joints involved. Its not clear to me from what I ve read about him which surgery he actually had done but it seems his injury may have been less severe but more chronic than what Lawson had. Lawson s doing pretty well, I guess we ll just wait and see what happens with Abdullah. Hope he makes it back but unless Washington is a revelation I still think the Lions should probably take another back in the '17 draft somewhere.

November 7th, 2016, 1:57 am

Hopefully we spare no expense on that back 7.

November 8th, 2016, 11:38 pm
Player of the Year - Offense

The lines, the lines, the lines!

(Oh but if Jourdan Lewis is still on the board in the 1st, go for it)

"Good teams don't worry about a whole lot of stuff. They travel, they play, they win. And it doesn't matter where they go, what the time block is, all those kinds of things. They never seem to bother teams that play well, and we want to be one of those teams." -Jim Caldwell

December 12th, 2016, 8:13 am
NFL Team Captain

thelomasbrowns wrote:
The lines, the lines, the lines!

(Oh but if Jourdan Lewis is still on the board in the 1st, go for it)

Uh, no. Homer picks not allowed. I'm in favor of continuing the building of the trenches with the early picks. Taco Charlton would be a better homer pick late 1st round. No knock on Lewis who is a fine player, just not a 1st rounder. At his size, he'll be considered a slot corner first. I'm not totally opposed to taking a skill position early if a no-brainer falls into our lap. But, we still struggle to run the ball (o-line) and we should address the D-line in case of mass exodus there (free agents). On top of that, linebacker depth was a huge problem this year.

Jourdan Lewis, CB
School: Michigan | Conference: BIG10
College Experience: Senior | Hometown: Detroit, MI

Player Overview
When he steps off the bus, it is easy to overlook Lewis, who is listed at a generous 5-feet-10 and 176 pounds. But on the field, opposing offense need to identify him on each snap because Lewis has the ability to blanket and remove receivers from the game.

After working his way into the starting lineup as a sophomore, Lewis started all 13 games as a junior in 2015 and finished third in the nation with 20 pass breakups. He also had a pair of interceptions, including one returned for a touchdown, earning First Team All-Big Ten and multiple All-America honors.

Lewis helped lead Cass Technical in Detroit to consecutive Michigan Division I State titles his final two seasons in high school, where he was credited with running a 4.34-second shuttle.

Strengths Weaknesses
STRENGTHS: Lewis has the foot quickness and fluidity at the line of scrimmage to flip his body and stay hip-to-hip with receivers vertically. He routinely stays in phase in man coverage due to his balance and instincts as the space between him and receivers seems virtually nonexistent. Lewis also boasts quick eyes to locate the football with the aggressive ballskills to attack the catch point, appearing to want the ball more than receivers.

WEAKNESSES: Although he is a better than expected run defender given his size, Lewis doesn't have the body or power potential ideal for off-coverage. His preference to play tight coverage is what makes him so effective, but it is also what gets him in trouble due to his tendency to grab as he attempts to gain leverage and impede receivers. Lewis has the quickness to recover if receivers push off, but facing bigger NFL receivers will be a much different task.

IN OUR VIEW: Although Lewis might not crack the first round, primarily due to his size limitations, he could wind up being a steal later on day two for a team willing to look past his shorter stature, trusting his intriguing ability to suffocate passing windows.

--Dane Brugler, @dpbrugler (8/1/16)

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/play ... rdan-lewis

December 12th, 2016, 12:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next