View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 19th, 2018, 5:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Draft Day Thread - Round 2 
Martha Firestone Ford

Post Re: Draft Day Thread - Round 2
The 11th ranked Safety when #s 3-10 we’re still on the board.

April 27th, 2018, 10:10 pm
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

In Quinn's first two draft he and I were on the exact same page.

In this draft we aren't in the same solar system.

I think Matt Patricia has ruined Quinn as a GM.

April 27th, 2018, 10:12 pm
RIP Killer

I’m thoroughly confused by this pick. What the hell is he going to play? Ain’t big enough to play a Killibrew role. Ain’t need a SS. We’re loaded at DB by comparison to DL and we pick this guy?

April 27th, 2018, 10:17 pm
Martha Firestone Ford

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2769 ... lions-pick

April 27th, 2018, 10:20 pm
Martha Firestone Ford

Do we have a bum taking up a roster spot that we can trade for a 4th round pick?

April 27th, 2018, 10:32 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

Mayock seemed to like the pick even though he said some teams had Walker as a 5-6 rounder.

April 27th, 2018, 10:32 pm
NFL Team Captain

conversion02 wrote:
I’m thoroughly confused by this pick. What the hell is he going to play? Ain’t big enough to play a Killibrew role. Ain’t need a SS. We’re loaded at DB by comparison to DL and we pick this guy?

Need three safety's to play a 3-3-5 defense.

April 27th, 2018, 11:30 pm
League MVP

I know a lot of times the media and fans won't have all the info but from everything I'm hearing Walker was a 5th round pick. Hell he even expected to get taken in the 5th round. I think I'm off the Bob Quinn draft hype train. He drafts like Belichick in the later years, not good.

April 28th, 2018, 8:21 am
Rookie Player of the Year

liontrax wrote:
conversion02 wrote:

Need three safety's to play a 3-3-5 defense.

Dont forget the 1-5-5 they also ran in NE.

April 28th, 2018, 8:46 am
Veteran NFL Head Coach

This draft seems like it is pretty much over. No idea what Quinn will do in Round 5 and Round 7 or if he can trade Rudock or a RB for more picks, hopefully not taking a long snapper. The Lions come away with instant impact in Ragnow filling out the starting OL and Johnson to be the lead runner. Walker I dont really know anything about but seems like he s more of a developmental pick in that secondary where the starting safeties dont have long deals and he could project there or maybe a bigger slot corner/hybrid position.

Disappointed really in how they managed the draft. I really think they would have been better served trading back in Rd 1 - not sure what they would have gotten but presumably at least a 4th rd pick for there troubles and still pick up at least Daniels the C from Iowa or another guard prospect of which there were many. I really hate the trade up but Quinn cornered himself into having to do something like that by not taking mid round runners in previous years or signing someone like Hyde who Cleveland got cheap. Of course they could have stood pat and picked up Guice who I think has more of a sure thing profile with his punishing style but Quinn views him as a character risk. Had they done the trade down lets say they end up with Daniels and Guice and then in Rd 3 I d draft Phillips or Hurst rather than Walker and then they d still have 2 4th round picks where they could still take Walker if they like him. With the other 4th rounder maybe a speed linebacker like Shaq Griffin or edge rusher like Sweat or Hearns and its a draft that really does a lot more for you without any significant dropoff in talent on the first 2 picks.

Losing a 4th rounder and not picking up an extra pick, then possibly reaching in Round 3 bc you dont have a 4th kind of makes us wait another year to get Patricia his building blocks for his defense. They patched a need with good players - good chance of turning weakness in the run game into strength soon, so have to be happy with that aspect of it.

Last edited by The Legend on April 28th, 2018, 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 28th, 2018, 9:19 am
Martha Firestone Ford

This had better be Hurst for our 3rd round pick next year.

April 28th, 2018, 12:46 pm
Martha Firestone Ford

Well, I like Deshawn Hand also.

April 28th, 2018, 12:47 pm
Martha Firestone Ford

Now we need to trade something to acquire a 3rd round pick next year.

April 28th, 2018, 12:48 pm
3rd Round Selection

Story is out there that the Lions war room erupted when they were able to draft Walker.

Players from big time programs get the most hype and some of the better players fly under the radar. What 'major' program did Jerry Rice play for, hmm? Besides, virtually no-one batted an eye when a player from UTSA was drafted mid-first round. A player that didn't play top competition and is by all account extremely raw. A first rounder is expected to be a day one starter, a third rounder is most often a backup for at least a season.

It's funny, I can remember hearing all of the time how the Lions have to find the diamonds in the rough like N.E. and Pit and any other top team you can mention, yet when we draft a potential player like that fans complain. No matter who we draft or from what program, if he fails fans will be pointing out who we could have taken instead.

Not a fan of trading up like that to get a player, but at least you know what you are getting unlike when you trade down. I also like this pick better than the one we had when Mayhew drafted Best after trading up. Hope it works out better too, but now that I have given it the kiss of death...

April 29th, 2018, 7:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3