View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 16th, 2014, 9:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Lions needs next season 
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Post Lions needs next season
I know the season just began, but I'm taking a look at the Lions needs for next season. The Lions will definitely NOT be in need of CB's or WR's!! Have enough depth there for once! The Lions main priority shouldbe at the LB position, Safety position, and mabe another late round RB. I say the LB position because this will most likely be Earl Holmes' last season with the Lions. I know Teddy Lehman can replace him, but we'll need to add a LB to replace Lehman's backup position. We'll need some safeties because who do we have??? Our safety depth is horrible this year!! I know we acquired John McGraw, but how long do we have him for? And this is going to be Bracy Walker's last year too! As for another RB, Artose Pinner and Bryson have looked alright for a backup RB, but nothing spectacular. I think we could definitely improve on the depth of our RB's!!

Give me your feedback!!

August 20th, 2005, 8:41 pm
Profile YIM
QB Coach

LT - Backus' replacement
LG - upgrade over DeMulling
RT - upgrade over Butler
RE - upgrade over Redding
WLB - upgrade over Davis
FS - upgrade over Holt

August 20th, 2005, 9:59 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I'm fairly confident that Holt won't need an upgrade, but you never know. I hope that we don't need to upgrade Butler, but we might end up needing one badly.

August 20th, 2005, 10:01 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

Holt looked god awful today, there were about 6 plays he completely screwed up.

EX - look at the cover photo on LB.

August 20th, 2005, 10:07 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Interesting pic. :shock:

I still have faith though. You haven't swayed me you heretic!!!!!!!!

August 20th, 2005, 10:09 pm
Profile WWW

TE - Pollard's replacement
LT - Backus' replacement
LG - upgrade over DeMulling
RT - upgrade over Butler
RE - upgrade over Redding
WLB - upgrade over Davis
FS - upgrade over Holt

DON'T NEED:

We have Pollard through the 2007 season!! Don't need to worry about him. DeMulling is fine at the LG position. Corey Redding is fine at the RE position and if he doesn't come back next year we'll have Shaun Cody to replace him.

NEEDS:

If Backus doesn't re-sign we definitely need to address this position!! If Butler doesn't play well this year (which I don't think he will) we definitely need to upgrade this position! Could definitely use an upgrade over Davis!! And we'll probably lose Earl holmes next year!! That leaves Lehman and Bailey as the top 2 starting LB's. We'll need to pickup another LB either to start alongside Lehman and Bailey (Davis coming off the bench) or to come off the bench with Davis starting. We still need to see Terrence Holt play this season, but he might not be back next year.
DON'T FORGET ABOUT OUR QB SITUATION!! WE ONLY HAVE GARCIA FOR ONE YEAR!! EITHER JOEY OR HIM WILL STEP UP THIS SEASON. IF JOEY HAS A GOOD SEASON HE'LL BE OUR STARTER NEXT SEASON. IF GARCIA HAS A GOOD SEASON HE'LL BE OUR STARTER. EITHER WAY ORLOVSKY SHOULD BE ABLE TO BE A SOLID BACKUP QB IN THIS LEAGUE. THE LIONS ARE ONLY SCREWED IF HARRINGTON AND GARCIA PLAY AWFUL THIS SEASON!! THEN WE'LL GO AFTER LEINHART!!

I see the Lions drafting a LB first round, OT second round, and a Safety third round!!

August 20th, 2005, 10:30 pm
Profile YIM
Varsity Captain

We need a pass rusher! Other than that TE, T I think are prioritys after a DE. We just need someone to play opposite Hall, our Dline would be nasty. I think Butler will be effective once he gains some experience and we might resign Backus so tackle might not be a need.

August 20th, 2005, 11:22 pm

Shaun Cody could become our DE opposite James Hall once he gains some experience!

August 20th, 2005, 11:44 pm
Profile YIM
Junior Varsity

our #1 place we need to get depth and players at is DE we need them as soon as we can get them, beside Hall we dont have jack sh@t that we can call real players!

August 21st, 2005, 2:41 pm
Profile YIM
QB Coach

How old is Pollard? Who is behind him? Didn't we sign someone named Brock Marion last year to a multi-year deal who the Lions cut ties with after one season.

DeMulling is poor. I didn't like the signing. He is overrated because Manning threw the ball so quickly that he never got sacked. People have a high opinion of him because he has a decent Madden rating. He has been poor this year. Kowalski said a while ago he was playing poor.

Cody is over 300 pounds, and hasn't played a snap at DE. He's a DT, nothing else. Potential replacement for Big Daddy. And Redding is a FA next year.

August 21st, 2005, 3:00 pm
Profile WWW

Post Shaun Cody
I thought Cody is a DE/DT. If Redding leaves after this season Cody could fill in for him at DE. And then the Lions can draft a DE during the 2007 offseason after Wilkinson retires (Cody replaces Wilkinson)

August 21st, 2005, 5:37 pm
Profile YIM

LB: Either a MLB or WLB
FS: I'm not sold on Holt
DE: We would be unstopable with someone complimenting Hall and Redding coming off the bench!
LT: I doubt we will resign Backus and I really like Butler at RT.
TE: Pollard is old we need an upgrade
Depth: You always need depth

Michael Huff for DROY

August 21st, 2005, 5:47 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

My Projected needs:

LB: Either a MLB or WLB
FS: I'm not sold on Holt
DE: We would be unstopable with someone complimenting Hall and Redding coming off the bench!
LT: I doubt we will resign Backus and I really like Butler at RT.
TE: Pollard is old we need an upgrade
Depth: You always need depth

I agree that we will need a MLB. I don't agree that we will need a WLB. With Davis, Lewis and Lehman, I feel we have the position covered. Lehman is NOT a middle linebacker (are you listening, Matt?) and Holmes and Rainer are in their last year of their respective contracts. I would prefer the Lions sign a vet, but an Abdul Hodge or Ahmad Brooks would suffice just fine.

As for free safety, I will wait until the mid point of the season to determine whether Holt is acceptable or not. No use jumping the gun right now.

I feel that defensive end is the most outstanding need on the team RIGHT NOW. Hall is good, but only because he has been playing next to Shaun Rogers most of the time. We need a speed rusher. We need someone that can flush the opposing QB before the four second mark. We DON'T need another 280-290 lb. bull rusher like Hall, Redding, Swancutt, Cody. If only Kalimba Edwards had panned out!!!!

I think Pollard and Fitzsimmons make a great combination at tight end. Someone with more speed would be nice, but I feel Pollard is playing like a much younger man, and Fitzsimmons still shows that he has some of the best hands on the team. I think he's earned the right to stay on this team, long term. Another tight end to develop would be nice. However, Jason Randall could be that man right now. From what I understand, he's a helluva blocker.

Next year, we will likely need another veteran backup QB. I expect Garcia to go the way of Ty Detmer and Rick Mirer, in regards to vet QBs signed to one year deals. We may also need another DT, because I don't think Wilkinson makes this squad in 2006.

August 21st, 2005, 9:08 pm

Even if Terrence Holt doesn't pan out we have John McGraw at the Free Safety position. Also, as far as backup QB's I think Dan Orlosvky will be a fine backup QB. Either Joey or Garcia WILL produce this season and whichever one does he'll be our starting QB next season. As far as the DT position, Shaun Cody was just drafted this year!! Hello!! He'll be a great DT next to Shaun Rogers when Dan Wilkinson is gone.

NEEDS: LB
DE
depth at safety

August 21st, 2005, 9:33 pm
Profile YIM

I don't think there's any doubt the Lions will draft primarily defensive players this season. We've gotten WR's in the first round 3 years in a row!! If the offense doesn't pan out this year WE ARE SCREWED!!

The Lions definitely need to draft some defensive playmakers in the 2006 draft. I see the Lions drafting a skilled LB in the first round, followed by a DE in the second round, followed by depth at S in the third round. My only concer is that if Backus doens't re-sign we'll have to waste a draft pick on an OT (instead of the LB position)!!

Also, does anybody know which draft pick the Lions gave the Jets for John McGraw??? I hope it wasn't a 2nd or 3rd round pick!! Anything after the 3rd round doesn't really matter.

August 21st, 2005, 9:36 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next