View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 20th, 2014, 7:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Lions needs next season 
RIP Killer

Also, does anybody know which draft pick the Lions gave the Jets for John McGraw??? I hope it wasn't a 2nd or 3rd round pick!! Anything after the 3rd round doesn't really matter.

A conditional draft pick. So as far as I know, if McGraw doesn't play, we don't give up a pick. From what I've heard, the pick will be no lower than a 6th rounder, more than likely a 7th.

August 21st, 2005, 11:16 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Definitely a steal then!! McGraw has a lot more talent than a 7th rounder!! I heard that he was drafted in the 2nd round!!

August 21st, 2005, 11:56 pm
Profile YIM
RIP Killer

Yeah, if he pans out and stays healthy, he'll turn out to be a super steal from the Jets...but he's always been hurt in his short time with the Jets (since he was drafted). If he stays healthy, we could have a solid starter on our hands...he can really bring the wood too...could be a solid backup to KK if we were to want McQ playing at FS instead of Holt...CUT WALKER!!!

August 22nd, 2005, 12:33 am

I say we start KK and McGraw (who is a FS by the way)!!

August 22nd, 2005, 1:07 am
Profile YIM

I say we start KK and McGraw (who is a FS by the way)!!

Right now Terrance Holt and Kennoy Kennedy are penciled in as starters... McGraw is injured right now and more or likely wont make the roster; sorry to burst your bubble...

Michael Huff for DROY

August 23rd, 2005, 12:36 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

McGraw is definitely making the roster... they don't just trade draft picks away for an injured player, who when they are getting him is injured and they know won't play, just to cut him a week later without giving him a chance. That would be bad management.

August 23rd, 2005, 2:56 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

They could put him on IR and not lose a pick.

August 23rd, 2005, 3:00 pm
Profile WWW

Lions' starters that are FA's after this season:

( ) - indicates 2005 salary

Jeff Backus, OT ($2,300,000)
Corey Redding, DE ($380,000)
Earl Holmes, MLB ($1,550,000)
James Davis, WLB ($380,000)
Terrence Holt, FS ($380,000)

Other notable FA's (not starters):

Jeff Garcia, QB ($800,000)
Artose Pinner, RB ($380,000)
Shawn Bryson, RB ($725,000)
Kevin Johnson, WR ($575,000)
Casey Fitzsimmons, TE ($380,000)
Kyle Koser, OT ($656,000)
Victor Rogers, OT ($656,000)
Jared DeVries, DE ($750,000)
Kalimba Edwards, DE ($490,000)
R.W. McQuartesr, DB ($750,000)
Andre Goodman, CB ($656,000)
Chris Cash, CB ($656,000)

HYPOTHETICAL SITUATION (IF NONE OF THE FA'S RETURN NEXT SEASON THIS IS WHAT OUR DEPTH CHART WOULD LOOK LIKE)

QB: Joey Harrington, Dan Orlovsky
WR1: Roy Williams, Scottie Vines
WR2: Charles Rogers, Mike Williams
FB: Corey Schlesinger
TE: Marcus Pollard
OT: ??????
OG: Rick DeMullling
C: Dominic Raiola
OG: Damien Woody
OT: Kelly Butler
RB: Kevin Jones, ????

FS: John McGraw??, ?????
SS: Kennoy Kennedy, ?????
CB1: Dre Bly, Keith Smith
CB2: Fernando Bryant, Stanley Wilson
WLB: Teddy Lehman, Alex Lewis
MLB: ???
SLB: Boss Bailey, Donte Curry
DE: Shaun Cody, ?????
DT: Shaun Rogers, ????
DT: Dan Wilkinson, Marcus Bell
DE: James Hall, Bill Swancutt

SPECIAL TEAMS WILL BE FINE :D !!!

So after all of this, I'm interested in your feedback!! Some posing questions to consider: which FA's (regardless of being restriced/unrestriced) should we let go and which should we re-sign and which FA's want to be let go/ re-signed?? It is almost impossible to tell as of right now, but keep yours eyes on the FA's as the season progresses. Also, (if we choose to let them go) should we choose to address their position via FA or the 2006 draft???

As you can tell the ?????? are the spots we do need to address if we don't re-sign some of the FA's. It seems the key positions we'll probably need to address this offseason are:

- starting OT
- depth in offensive line
- FB, TE, RB backups?? (Will Matthews and Jason Randall could be the answers for the FB, TE)
- Safety depth
- starting MLB (and backup)
- defensive line depth

SO AS OF RIGHT NOW THE POSITIONS THAT ARE MOST LIKELY TO BE ADDRESSED IN THE 2006 DRAFT (no particular order) ARE:

OT
MLB
Defensive line depth
Offensive line depth
Safety depth

August 25th, 2005, 9:09 pm
Profile YIM
QB Coach

Detroit hasn't lost a RFA in years... they ALWAYS come back here.

I know you like to play "hypothetical", but that's just not plausible. They won't lose every one of their RFAs. They will almost 100% get every one of them back.

August 26th, 2005, 4:22 am
Profile WWW

I know you like to play "hypothetical", but that's just not plausible. They won't lose every one of their RFAs. They will almost 100% get every one of them back.

But if the RFA's play poorly would the Lions want them back??

August 26th, 2005, 12:23 pm
Profile YIM

D'Brickashaw Ferguson, OT Virginia
Marcus McNeill, OT Auburn
Ahmad Brooks, ILB Virginia
Chad Greenway, OLB Iowa
A.J. Hawk, OLB Ohio State
Jonathan Scott, OT Texas
Eric Winston, OT Miami (Fla)
Abdul Hodge, ILB Iowa
Winston Justice, OT Southern California

*bold indicates most likely players*

August 26th, 2005, 1:24 pm
Profile YIM
QB Coach

Brian wrote:

But if the RFA's play poorly would the Lions want them back??

They brought Victor Rogers, Chris Cash, and Andre Goodman back, so yeah!

August 26th, 2005, 2:38 pm
Profile WWW

Nobody else has any say on my hard, thought-out post up above??!! :cry:

August 28th, 2005, 12:56 am
Profile YIM
Varsity Captain

DON'T NEED:

We have Pollard through the 2007 season!! Don't need to worry about him. DeMulling is fine at the LG position. Corey Redding is fine at the RE position and if he doesn't come back next year we'll have Shaun Cody to replace him.

Pollards production will wane next season, Im still not sold on him this year. Redding is not fine at the RE position he is just a stop gap thats only playing because Kalimba didnt pan out. I cant see Cody playing end in this league, he would become a Redding clone, he was drafted to eventually replace Big Daddy. DE is a major need next year unless we get a guy this year which I dont see happening, the only linebacker I want to see taking by us in the first is Ahmad Brooks or Hodge if we draft later, I would be happy with that pick.

August 29th, 2005, 9:45 am
RIP Killer

adpreston1385 wrote:
DON'T NEED:

We have Pollard through the 2007 season!! Don't need to worry about him. DeMulling is fine at the LG position. Corey Redding is fine at the RE position and if he doesn't come back next year we'll have Shaun Cody to replace him.

Pollards production will wane next season, Im still not sold on him this year. Redding is not fine at the RE position he is just a stop gap thats only playing because Kalimba didnt pan out. I cant see Cody playing end in this league, he would become a Redding clone, he was drafted to eventually replace Big Daddy. DE is a major need next year unless we get a guy this year which I dont see happening, the only linebacker I want to see taking by us in the first is Ahmad Brooks or Hodge if we draft later, I would be happy with that pick.

I agree that Pollard will start to slide in his abilities and effectiveness. I think that a TE next year would be seen as a luxury pick more than a necessity. I think Fitzsimmons, while not a starter, is ideal as a #2 tight end and has better hands than people give him credit for.

This is the contract year for Edwards, and a do or die situation for him. He's finally healthy, so hopefully he will show us something in third down situations. Redding did well last year and improved every week. However, he will never be a true pass rusher. His strengths are run stopping. He isn't really a 'stop gap' in that role. I do, however, agree that if Edwards doesn't pan out, we will need to address the defensive end position. If the Lions are able to land one of the top players available next year, they will have to pull the trigger. I still feel that they should have drafted Justin Tuck in round three this year. The selection of Stanley Wilson was a POOR decision. Tuck could become a monster, and is already being anointed the heir apparent to Strahan in NY.

Inside linebacker will be a distinct need for next season, as I don't expect Lehman to adjust to the position anytime soon, and Holmes will be gone. Also, to this point, I have not been impressed with Rick Demulling. If he continues playing poorly, the Lions will be forced to make a decision on him next year. If they decide to ship him in the off-season, it will force their hand with Jeff Backus, as they likely won't be able to afford to have him leave and have to fill two spots on the offensive line with either draft picks or free agents.

Shaun Cody will not be moved to DE in Detroit unless we move to a 3-4 scheme. He will be given the chance to bulk up and become a three down DT like Shaun Rogers.

August 29th, 2005, 11:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next