View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 24th, 2014, 4:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Top 3 Lions' needs 

What position should the Lions' draft 1st round of the 2006 NFL Draft?
Poll ended at September 10th, 2005, 3:18 pm
OT 50%  50%  [ 4 ]
MLB 50%  50%  [ 4 ]
Defensive lineman 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 8

Top 3 Lions' needs 
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Post Top 3 Lions' needs
What is everyone's opinion of the Lions' top 3 needs come the 2006 offseason??

Here are mine:

#1 OT - Butler and Backus are questionable starters in this league and with Backus' contract expiring this year, it is very likely he won't be back

#2 MLB - Lehman and Bailey are set as the OLB core, but with Earl Holmes last season on the team, a starting MLB will be a great need. We drafted both Lehman and Bailey in the 2nd rounds of previous drafts (fine talent), so I don't see why we can't pick up a solid ILB in the 2nd round of the 2006 draft.

#3 DE - Can always use the depth, and Redding could be upgraded (even though he's played well so far this pre-season)

first round - OT
second round - MLB
third round - DE

August 31st, 2005, 3:17 pm
Profile YIM
RIP Killer

Post Re: Top 3 Lions' needs
adpreston1385 wrote:
#1 OT - Butler and Backus are questionable starters in this league and with Backus' contract expiring this year, it is very likely he won't be back

Backus hasn't been sharp in pre-season, I will grant you that. But I don't think it's time to give up on him just yet. As for Butler, he hasn't even played in a real game yet and you are calling him questionable. That's a little premature, don't you think?
An upgrade at left tackle would be nice, but I think the defense deserves a first rounder.

adpreston1385 wrote:
#2 MLB - Lehman and Bailey are set as the OLB core, but with Earl Holmes last season on the team, a starting MLB will be a great need. We drafted both Lehman and Bailey in the 2nd rounds of previous drafts (fine talent), so I don't see why we can't pick up a solid ILB in the 2nd round of the 2006 draft.

I wanted the Lions to take Odell Thurman this year, and Cinci has him as their starter already. While I like what Shaun Cody has shown, I think MLB was a much bigger need. This was an example of Millen and Mariucci trying to shoehorn Lehman into a position in which he did not fit, and probably never will. Therefore, I would think, depending on where they pick in round one next year, this could be the position they select for in the first round.

adpreston1385 wrote:
#3 DE - Can always use the depth, and Redding could be upgraded (even though he's played well so far this pre-season)

I agree that we need more at defensive end. However, we need speed. I like Redding as a two down player only. Edwards hasn't shown me the same fire he had as a rookie, and he is too easily engulged by big tackles. We need someone fast and strong. We should have taken Justin Tuck in round three this year. Stanley Wilson? He's the Lions #6 corner right now. Great pick :oops:

adpreston1385 wrote:
first round - OT
second round - MLB
third round - DE

I like this better:
Round one-MLB
Round two-TE
Round three-OT (depth)

I believe the Lions will re-sign Backus (he will be very affordable), and that the team will look for DE help among the free agents next year. The Lions need to get a young, fast Mike ala Jonathan Vilma. Ahmad Brooks or Abdul Hodge would be nice.

August 31st, 2005, 4:16 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Butler is fine. You have to give him a chance to play before you determine that he needs to be replaced.

Backus is another story. I'm not too sure what has caused his skills to look so eroded so far this preseason, but he needs to figure it out. Backus has always been average, but his has looked was below average in the 3 preseason games. This is a contract year for him and if he doesn't figure it out, then we cut ties and pickup a guy in the draft. The upcoming draft will have many stud O-Lineman and we should be able to get a good one.

Tim

August 31st, 2005, 4:27 pm

I like this better:
Round one-MLB
Round two-TE
Round three-OT (depth)
?????

Why the TE in the 2nd round?? Is TE a great need? Not really. We have Pollard for a couple of more seasons and Fitzsimmons is good enough as a backup. I really don't think the Lions should waste a 2nd round draft pick on the TE position that would be a luxury, not a necessity for this team.

August 31st, 2005, 8:01 pm
Profile YIM

Acctually I'm expecting us to draft LaRon Landry, FS LSU... But I really like Terrances' attidute. Other then that we need LB's, offensive line and a DE... We need to completely strip down our O-line, we got a bunch of bums!!

Michael Huff for DROY

September 1st, 2005, 4:58 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Holt is showing what it takes to be a backup, not a starter at FS. I would rather have McQ in there taking first team reps and seeing McGraw back there...it'd be nice to see what we got in that trade.

September 1st, 2005, 5:36 pm

Definitely!! I say we start McGraw this season at the free safety position. Then we could have solid starting safeties in McGraw and Kennedy. This would eliminate a FS draft pick in 2006. Vernon Fox and Terrence Holt are sufficient backup free safeties in this league.

However, intsead of a potential FS draft choice 3rd/4th round the Lions should probably draft a SS. This is Bracy Walker's last year of his contract and he'll probably be retiring after this season. That leaves an opening in the backup SS position. Terrence Holt (first we'd have to re-sign him) or Vernon Fox might be able to backup the SS position for next year, but I'd rather have insurance and take a draft pick. The depth at the SS position is becoming a concern to me. The FS position is not as worrisome in terms of depth because we have Holt, Fox, and McGraw.

1st round - OT (Backus and Butler worry me here)
2nd round - LB (Earl Holmes depature next year means new starting MLB)
3rd round - DE (could upgrade over Redding and Edwards has not panned out)
4th round - SS (lack of depth next year with Walker leaving)
5th round - RB (add to depth, also Pinner or Bryson might leave)

September 1st, 2005, 11:48 pm
Profile YIM

In all the 2006 mock drafts I've seen so far the Lions have either picked a DE or an OT in the first round 8) .

September 1st, 2005, 11:52 pm
Profile YIM
RIP Killer

adpreston1385 wrote:
Why the TE in the 2nd round?? Is TE a great need? Not really. We have Pollard for a couple of more seasons and Fitzsimmons is good enough as a backup. I really don't think the Lions should waste a 2nd round draft pick on the TE position that would be a luxury, not a necessity for this team.

Tell me, would you consider Jeremy Shockey, Tony Gonzalez or Todd Heap wasted picks? This coming draft figures to have some pretty good players at the tight end position. And while I can appreciate Marcus Pollards achievements in the past, that doesn't mean he will continue to shine. The tight end position on this team has been overlooked for some time. And teams with solid tight ends will tell you, they can make or break an offense. If Pollard has a great year, then this could change. But this team needs a tight end that can stretch a field, and Marcus isn't as fast as he used to be. He is a great leader though. Which is why I wouldn't want to see him leave the team. And while I do think Casey is a good backup, an upgrade on any part of the team is always the right thing to do. And besides, Casey will be a RFA next year and may not be retained by the team.

Remember, this is all very preliminary. Mid-season will be a much better time to judge this teams outstanding needs for next season. We may be looking for a starting QB, as well as a backup!

September 2nd, 2005, 11:07 am
RIP Killer

I agree with you Mike...but Todd Heap has really only had 1 stellar year. 2003 was a very good year, but not a year to put him at the top of the TE class. He was hurt last year and so far, definately does not deserve the massive amount of coin that Baltimore paid him in the offseason.

September 2nd, 2005, 1:21 pm
QB Coach

m2karateman wrote:
Tell me, would you consider Jeremy Shockey, Tony Gonzalez or Todd Heap wasted picks?

When guys like Ed Reed were avaliable, then yes. Especially when people like Kris Jenkins, Chad Johnson, and Shaun Rogers were passed on.

Heap wasn't worth the pick considering other players avaliable. Neither was Shockey.

September 2nd, 2005, 1:38 pm
Profile WWW
Peanut and Beer Salesman

The Lions needs so far from looking at the preseason would be...

OT

DB

DE

In that order

www.nfldraftreport.tk

www.nfldraftblitz.com

September 5th, 2005, 12:46 pm

The Lions needs so far from looking at the preseason would be...

OT

DB

DE

In that order

Why the hell would we need a DB?? lol :lol: !! If you haven't noticed we've drated Keith Smith and Stanley Wilson the past 2 drafts!! I agree that if Terrence Holt doesn't perform well this season and John McGraw isn't able to replace him then a top notch FS would be a desparate need. But as of right now our DB depth is definitely not lacking!!

September 5th, 2005, 11:28 pm
Profile YIM
QB Coach

LOL @ DE being behind DB in order of "needs".

September 5th, 2005, 11:52 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Well if DeMulling plays like he is, we may be looking at OG too.

OT, DE, MLB, and TE are all draft needs next year. We should have taken a TE in this draft instead of Swancutt and Goddard in the 6th.

September 6th, 2005, 11:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next