View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 27th, 2014, 3:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 QB's Lions should pursue if still available in 1st round 
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Post QB's Lions should pursue if still available in 1st round
Matt Leinart, USC
Omar Jacobs, Bowling Green, Jr.
Jay Cutler, Vanderbilt
Reggie McNeal, Texas AM
Chris Leak, Florida, Jr.
Vincent Young, Texas, Jr.
Bruce Gradkowski, Toledo
Charlie Whitehurst, Clemson
Kellen Clemens, Oregon
Brodie Croyle, Alabama

(I'd like the Lions to draft either Jay Cutler or Charlie Whitehurst in the 1st round if Matt Leinhart is already selected)

September 18th, 2005, 5:13 pm
Profile YIM
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

September 18th, 2005, 8:54 pm
RIP Killer

lets take the guy from Oregon!!!
:lol:

Given the Lions inability to find a QB for, ohhh, half a century - I say pull a Ricky Williams like move and trade the bulk of your picks for Leinart. Take a potential 2-time Heisman trophy winner and 3-time national champion (now that's a resume). And then keep drafting one every year until there is a clear cut stud that emerges. QB is too critical of a position to not put in place first.

That is unless Joey develops into a fine QB this season.

Like I said, trade all your picks for Leinart and build around him. Give him a year to develop - KJ and the 3 amigos will all be young and growing with him. Then build the guys a solid OL...

September 18th, 2005, 9:49 pm
Profile WWW
Pro Bowl Player

:roll: we can all hope

September 18th, 2005, 10:14 pm
Profile WWW

The Legend wrote:
lets take the guy from Oregon!!!
:lol:

Given the Lions inability to find a QB for, ohhh, half a century - I say pull a Ricky Williams like move and trade the bulk of your picks for Leinart. Take a potential 2-time Heisman trophy winner and 3-time national champion (now that's a resume). And then keep drafting one every year until there is a clear cut stud that emerges. QB is too critical of a position to not put in place first.

Like I said, trade all your picks for Leinart and build around him. Give him a year to develop - KJ and the 3 amigos will all be young and growing with him. Then build the guys a solid OL...

Lions definitely shouldn't pursue another Oregon QB (seeing how Joey turned out)!! Also...as far as getting Matt Leinhart, I don't think any team will be willing to trade a bulk of draft picks for him (especially the Tenesseee Titans or Cleveland Browns - who need a QB more than us). That's why I listed the two QB's above: Cutler out of Vanderbilt and Whitehurst out of Clemson. I really think the Lions HAVE to draft a QB 1st or 2nd round if Harrington doesn't have a break out year (and from the looks of it so far I don't think he will :cry: )

September 18th, 2005, 10:42 pm
Profile YIM
QB Coach

I don't know if the Lions respect Joey. The QB is someone you need to rally around, and Joey isn't that guy.

Look, we have bigger problems on our team than QB. But we aren't going to get anywhere with Harrington under center.

We really need someone like Matt Leinart. A QB that won't bust. Jacobs would be nice too, but he isn't the absolute sure thing like Matt is.

Quote:
Matt Leinhart, I don't think any team will be willing to trade a bulk of draft picks for him

I disagree wholeheartedly with this statement. He will go 1st overall and there will be a BUNCH of teams vying for him, that don't have a clear cut franchise QB. Detroit is one of them.

It will be like the Eli Manning scenario last year. The guy who has impeccible credentials and will be the man for your team. New York could have stuck with Kerry Collins, but he wasn't going to get them anywhere.

We don't need any projects. We don't need any people who have "potential". We don't need people who have already proven they can't be successful. We need a stud. And Leinart is a true stud, like Manning was 2 years ago. Palmer and Smith weren't.

September 19th, 2005, 2:06 am
Profile WWW
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Palmer is a true stud, maybe you mean that we need someone who will start immediately. Leinart is as good as we are going to find, def agree with you there. i dont really wanna draft him to be the only option though bc then we have 3-4 years of "potential" like we had with Joey. I would still like a proven capable veteran so we can see how good the rest of the team is, develop our wideouts. Joey limits us too much and his salary cap figure is unjustified.

September 19th, 2005, 12:09 pm
#1 Overall Pick

I just have to ask how many golden boy QBs win Super Bowls in the Salary cap era?

Aikman won 3 Bowls right before the salary cap era.
Elway won 2 in his last 2 years.
Favre won 1.

My point?

I think a lot more Super Bowls are won by teams with nasty, deep defenses and tough running games........versus QB talent.

Brady is clutch........but New England wins bowls because of that defense. Look at how "ordinary" they look so far this year without the defense being dominant.

I want DE or OLT...........unless AJ Hawk is a better value the players available at the other positions when we pick.

October 15th, 2005, 4:30 pm
Varsity Captain

I dont really want to a QB taken in the 1st round, but i also dont want to see Harrington kept, I strongly feel the better way to improve the Lions is to take a Defensive player or OL player in the 1st, and a QB in the 2nd round.

But if we had to take a 1st round QB it would have to be Vick or Vince Young, i would not take Leinart even if he were available, IMO he is overrated.

My dream situation is for the Lions to draft the best defensive player in the 1st round and then draft Omar Jacobs in the 2nd round.

October 15th, 2005, 8:09 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

My dream situation is for the Lions to draft the best defensive player in the 1st round and then draft Omar Jacobs in the 2nd round.

That is actually a very good idea. However, I would replace 'best defensive player' with 'best offensive lineman'.

Tim

October 17th, 2005, 4:50 pm

We need to go after Matt Leinart... Although this is going to be very unlikely, I say draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round and sign a veteran to start one or two more years and then the guy we draft in the 2nd or 3rd round and Orlovsky compete for the backup role and soon to be starter... While we cut Harrington after this year or trade him for a packaged 4th, 5th, and 6th round pick's or something along that nature...........

Michael Huff for DROY

October 17th, 2005, 5:43 pm
Profile WWW
Bubbles the Lion

I love Kellen Clemens and would never want him to be drafted by the Lions. He needs to stay on the West Coast where Joe Montana is the ideal, not Brett Favre. That was Joey's problem too, in my opinion.

I really think the Lions would do better with a veteran who can handle the constant media scrutiny and pressure. I see how well Mark Brunell is doing now, and I wonder why the Lions can't get someone like him. I also think that Millen should use every single draft pick next year on an offensive lineman.

October 17th, 2005, 9:33 pm
RIP Killer

Nothing is going to change on this team until the coaches either get fired, quit, or admit there is a problem with the system and fix it accordingly.

Drafting a quarterback early would be stupid. The Lions need a veteran who can run the offense. I don't think Garcia will be the answer.

I would absolutely love to see Herman Edwards get released at the end of the year and have the Lions replace Steve Mariucci with Herm. Then, go out and get a solid offensive coordinator who won't be hindered by Mariucci's over bearing, control freak personality.

The Lions needs will likely be (for free agency and the draft):

Middle linebacker (draft-R1)
Free Safety (free agent)
Offensive tackle (free agent)
Defensive End (draft-R2)
Quarterback (free agent and draft-R3)
Offensive Guard (draft-R5)
Running back (draft-R6)

Likely to leave/get released/retire:
Kevin Johnson
Joey Harrington
Jeff Backus
Earl Holmes
Wali Rainer
Jared Devries
Shawn Bryson
Bracy Walker (thank God)
Paul Smith (ditto above)
Jeff Garcia
David Loverne
RW McQuarters

October 17th, 2005, 11:04 pm
RIP Killer

I would like to see RW re-signed. A 2 year deal possibly. The guy has done exactly what they asked of him. He may not be the greatest, but he's versatile and should be starting at FS IMO.

DeVries as well...

October 18th, 2005, 12:13 am

We need to go after Matt Leinart... Although this is going to be very unlikely, I say draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round and sign a veteran to start one or two more years and then the guy we draft in the 2nd or 3rd round and Orlovsky compete for the backup role and soon to be starter... While we cut Harrington after this year or trade him for a packaged 4th, 5th, and 6th round pick's or something along that nature...........

Do you honestly think Dan Orlovsky will be the Lions' starter in 2-3 years??!! I haven't seen much of him, but I definitely don't think he's starter material. I don't know who we'll draft this year at the QB positions, but if we're drafting the QB 3rd round he probably won't be able to start either.

What solid QB could we possibly get 3rd round??!!

October 18th, 2005, 4:20 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next