View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 1st, 2014, 12:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Lions needs/concerns next season 
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Post Lions needs/concerns next season
backup RB (Artose Pinner and Shawn Bryson are in their last years of their contracts)

backup TE (Fitzsimmons on last year of his contract)
starting OT (Jeff Backus on last year of his contract)
starting/backup DE (Corey Redding & Kalimba Edwards are on their last year of their contracts)
starting MLB (Earl Holmes gone)
starting OLB ( James Davis on last year)
starting FS (Terrence Holt on last year of his contract)

Of these positions above, which players do you see coming back next season? Hypotethically, if none of them came back that would leave us with 7 positions to fill. And we'll definitely need to fill the QB position with another draft pick. So that leaves 6 draft picks at most for 7 positions. I think the one position we don't need to address in the draft is OLB because of the talent Teddy Lehman has. He could easily replace Davis and should be starting right now. Anyways, the Lions WILL have enough draft picks to cover every position if we fail to re-sign players (and some of whom it would be wise not to re-sign).

Also, what's the deal with Fernando Bryant? Is he too injury prone? Should we trade him or release him next season? I'm betting Keith Smith or Stanley Wilson could start alongside Dre Bly next season (isn't this why we drafted them?).

October 12th, 2005, 5:37 pm
Profile YIM
RIP Killer

Post Re: Lions needs/concerns next season
adpreston1385 wrote:
backup RB (Artose Pinner and Shawn Bryson are in their last years of their contracts)
backup TE (Fitzsimmons on last year of his contract)
starting OT (Jeff Backus on last year of his contract)
starting/backup DE (Corey Redding & Kalimba Edwards are on their last year of their contracts)
starting MLB (Earl Holmes gone)
starting OLB ( James Davis on last year)
starting FS (Terrence Holt on last year of his contract)

RB - I think 'Tose should be resigned (he's working really hard and runs extremely hard in games)...Bryson is good IMO, but I don't know...we could get a rookie cheaper who blocks better or is a better receiving threat, but Mooch will likely try to keep both.

TE - I would have preferred an Alex Smith over Fitz, but Fitz is decent for a backup.

OT - Backus shouldn't be resigned and we should target one in the first depending on the QB situation...haven't looked but there could be some solid OTs as FAs next year.

DE - I would resign both Redding and Edwards...if KE has a big year, he will likely command a nice amount of coin.

MLB - draft one, Rd 2 or get a killer like Ahmad Brooks in Rd 1 who can start and be an impact player

OLB - Let Davis walk IMO...Lehman can take over and Lewis can back him up.

FS - Not impressed with Holt at all. He's a good backup, but he's out of position too much. His first year starting though...I'll wait to judge until game 12 or so. Possibly draft one...but we have bigger needs so we'll get a raw player with upside in the 3rd - won't be an immediate starter.

adpreston1385 wrote:
Also, what's the deal with Fernando Bryant?

Bryant seems to be done here in Detroit as far as I see. He hasn't performed and he's held down Bly, according to Dre'. I think Bly does play better with Fernando on the bench...hopefully Mooch sees that. Cutting Fernando would be some nice coin on the cap, but it should be done rather than paying him...too bad nobody would want him in a trade.

October 12th, 2005, 7:20 pm
QB Coach

Pinner, Redding, Davis, and Holt will all be back next year, as they are RFA's.

Backus and Holmes are our two key free agents.

I think the LB situation will be one of the most interesting this off season. Holmes is our best linebacker, but our oldest. It will be a tough decision with him. We don't know where Teddy will play. Boss is the only lock for a starter.

I don't know why QB wasn't listed. That's our biggest need. We will never be a playoff team with Joey Harrington at QB. The team doesn't like him. He doesn't operate our offense efficiently.

October 12th, 2005, 9:09 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I agree Brian. At this point, quarterback will be our biggest need. Should Joey not make dramatic improvements in his game soon, he will get axed. However, I don't think the Lions should draft a QB. They will have to skim the free agent pool. Orlovsky will likely get promoted to backup. Will the Lions re-sign Garcia? It depends on what he does this year.

I think the biggest need the Lions have that can be fulfilled in the draft will be either a left tackle or a middle linebacker. Lehman can't play the middle, Holmes will not be re-signed, and Rainer will likely search for greener pastures. Cincy drafted Odell Thurman in round two this year, and he is playing lights out for them. The 2006 draft should feature several MLB's with skills equal to or better than his.
As for the left tackle position, I think Backus could be re-signed for a cap friendly amount. However, I don't know that is the best idea for the team. The running game and passing game need a dominating left tackle and Backus is a technician, not a beast. We need a beast.
The other position of major concern is free safety. Terrence Holt has not been very good so far. Although he will be back next year, I don't know that he should start. We need to get a free safety that has excellent speed and coverage skills, like a Michael Huff or LaRon Landry.
The big thing to remember, the Lions have no fourth round pick (traded to New England) or seventh round pick (traded to Jets) in 2006. They will have to make the most of their selections.

Round 1-OT (Backus)
Round 2-MLB (Holmes)
Round 3-FS (Holt)
Round 4-traded
Round 5-DE (Devries becomes a FA)
Round 6-TE (Fitzsimmons)
Round 7-traded

QB- 1. FREE AGENT 2. ORLOVSKY 3. FREE AGENT
RB- 1. JONES 2. PINNER 3. BRYSON
FB- 1. SCHLESINGER 2. MATTHEWS
TE- 1. POLLARD 2. FITZSIMMONS/DRAFT PICK
WR- 1. R WILLIAMS 2. C ROGERS 3. M WILLIAMS 4. FREE AGENT 5. VINES
6. DRUMMOND
LOT- 1. DRAFT PICK 2. KOSIER
LOG- 1. DEMULLING 2. LOVERNE
OC- 1. RAIOLA 2. GUTIERREZ
ROG- 1. WOODY
ROT- 1. BUTLER

RDE- 1. HALL 2. EDWARDS 3. SWANCUTT
RDT- 1. S ROGERS 2. BELL
LDT- 1. WILKINSON 2. CODY
LDE- 1. REDDING 2. DRAFT PICK
WLB- 1. LEHMAN 2. DAVIS 3. LEWIS
MLB- 1. DRAFT PICK 2. FREE AGENT
SLB- 1. BAILEY 2. CURRY
RCB- 1. BLY 2. SMITH 3. WILSON
LCB- 1. BRYANT 2. MCQUARTERS 3. GOODMAN
SS- 1. KENNEDY 2. MCGRAW
FS-1. DRAFT PICK 2. HOLT
K-HANSON
P-HARRIS

October 13th, 2005, 12:56 pm
RIP Killer

It is beginning to look to me like Harrington is playing better. Is that because he has turned a corner? Is it because he is now playing to win back the starter's role, which Mariucci has supposedly taken away from him? Who knows? If over the last few games Joey continues to throw the ball well, I doubt he will be released. I still think Millen should approach Joey about restructuring his deal to become more cap friendly.

The current list of players who will become free agents at the end of this season in the NFL is less than impressive, particularly where the team has needs. The shopping list will include the left side of the offensive line, a middle linebacker, a backup QB, a free safety upgrade and a cornerback or two. The only player I would really like to see the Lions make a grab at is Toniu Fonoti. They should have approached him when he was available earlier this season. Instead, Minnesota grabbed him. He is now their starter on the left side, and Minney will probably try to keep him. Hopefully his agent will convince him to shop himself. The Lions need a power guard, not a finesse guard.

November 21st, 2005, 7:17 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]