View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 26th, 2014, 5:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 M2K's 2006 Mock version 1.1 
RIP Killer

Post M2K's 2006 Mock version 1.1
OK all, here is my second mock for 2006. One round, no trades.

1. HOUSTON TEXANS
When all else is equal, take the best player available.
RB Reggie Bush USC

2. NEW YORK JETS
A perfect fit to fill a dire need.
QB Matt Leinhart USC

3. SAN FRANCISCO 49ers
This team has many needs, and Mario fills one of them.
DE Mario Williams NCSU

4. GREEN BAY PACKERS
Still lacking in the secondary, and this guy fills the need
CB Jimmy Williams Virginia Tech

5. TENNESSEE TITANS
Got their right tackle last year, left tackle this year
OT D'Brickshaw Ferguson Virginia

6. NEW ORLEANS SAINTS
Needs are many, but the choice is obvious
LB A.J. Hawk Ohio State

7. BUFFALO BILLS
Have needs at tackle on either side of the ball.
OT Eric Winston Miami, FL

8. CLEVELAND BROWNS
Need to fill some gaps in the 3-4 defense.
LB Chad Greenway Iowa

9. ARIZONA CARDINALS
Several needs on this team, so they take the best available
DE Matthias Kiwanuka Boston College

10. BALTIMORE RAVENS
No QB worth the pick, so get a replacement for Lewis
RB Laurence Maroney Minnesota

11. DETROIT LIONS
The needs are many, the choice is tough
OT Marcus McNeil Auburn

12. OAKLAND RAIDERS
Another team with some serious needs at various spots
TE Mercedes Lewis UCLA

13. MIAMI DOLPHINS
They still don't have someone to protect whoever is at QB
OT Jonathan Scott Texas

14. ST. LOUIS RAMS
A new coach should start fixing the defense.
DB Michael Huff Texas

15. PHILADELPHIA EAGLES
They need a defensive end to start opposite 'The Freak'
DE Tamba Hali Penn State

16. DENVER BRONCOS (from Washington)
Shanahan loves a tight end that can stretch the defense
TE Leonard Pope Georgia

17. MINNESOTA VIKINGS
This team needs a playmaking linebacker in the worst way
LB DeMeco Ryans Alabama

18. ATLANTA FALCONS
This team needs a run stopper in the middle, and a big one
DT Rod Wright Texas

19. PITTSBURGH STEELERS
This team needs a running back now that 'The Bus' is retired
RB DeAngelo Williams Memphis

20. NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
They need new blood in their linebacking corps
LB Bobby Carpenter Ohio State

21. DALLAS COWBOYS
The defense was addressed in 2005, now for the offense.
OG Max Jean-Gilles Georgia

22. TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS
Their once proud defensive line is beginning to age.
DE Manny Lawson NCSU

23. NEW YORK GIANTS
Their defense has holes that need to be filled.
LB Thomas Howard UTEP

24. KANSAS CITY CHIEFS
This team still needs a better set of receivers.
WR Santonio Holmes Ohio State

25. SAN DIEGO CHARGERS
San Diego really wanted Holmes, but won't be too disappointed
WR Demetrius Williams Oregon

26. CHICAGO BEARS
Might have the best defense in the NFL. The offense however......
TE Vernon Davis Maryland

27. CAROLINA PANTHERS
Foster can't stay healthy and Davis is ready to be put to pasture
RB Lendale White USC

28. JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS
It's the defense that needs the help here.
CB Tye Hill Clemson

29. CINCINATTI BENGALS
A big defensive tackle with a high motor will make them happy
DT Jesse Mahelona Tennessee

30. DENVER BRONCOS
Denver will improve its secondary with no tackle worth taking here
SS Darnell Bing USC

31. SEATTLE SEAHAWKS
Seattle has a great left side of their offensive line, but the right side....
OT Ryan O'Callaghan California

32. INDIANAPOLIS COLTS
Further upgrades on the defense are required, starting in the middle.
LB Abdul Hodge Iowa

Last edited by m2karateman on December 7th, 2005, 11:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

November 11th, 2005, 5:04 pm
QB Coach

1) I don't think Ferguson is worth the #1 overall pick. Dude is overhyped and rated as the 3rd best tackle on many boards

2) I don't think there is a CHANCE that Leinart comes even close to falling that low. Teams will be trading their futures for him. Teams who don't have an absolute franchise QB will take him.

3) Rodrique Wright is tremendously overrated. I don't think Jon Scott is that highly rated either. Or Michael Huff. All those texas players are overrated.

4) DeAngelo Williams won't last to 28, even if you're doing no trades, some team will take him. He's a top 10 pick. I also don't think Watson will last to 29, especially behind Mahelona, who doesn't have near the potential.

November 11th, 2005, 8:49 pm
Profile WWW
Pro Bowl Player

Obviously this took some time and logic but three things stike me when I look at this

1) you have 5 OT's going in the first - and an OG - thats not likely IMHO, I can see 3 OT's and an the other 2 OTs and OG in the 2nd....

2) 2 CB's in the first and only one in the top 20 - remember the emphasis teams took when drafting WR and CB in the top 10 this year - I expect that to be a trend and you don't have a WR until 17 - some team hungry for production will take a WR in the top 10... maybe 2 or 3 this year

3) you have 6 Linebackers going in the first... 4 in the top 15... remember DJ was ranked NUMBER 1 overall by some boards (very respectable mind you) and he went to KC at 15... Just my observation but I am certainly no draft expert...

still very good post and I like alot of your first rounders

November 14th, 2005, 2:57 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Thanks for the feedback. Just some things to let you know why this turned out the way it did. I chose to match up players to teams that have a high need at that particular position in most cases. In some cases it was a matter of taking the best talent available. As for Ferguson being overhyped, I think that is definitely true. I feel he lacks ideal bulk to be a really good starting left tackle just yet. Rod Wright has an excellent motor, and it always helps to play for one of the teams involved in the national championship, which I believe Texas and USC will be playing for. Gabe Watson, on the other hand, has a questionable motor but may have more natural ability. Mahelona is another player that may not have the potential, but will put everything he has on the field. We all know what can happen with talent that lacks desire. As for DeAngelo Williams, I doubt he will fall that far as well. But let's remember that he has had injuries in the past and that could reduce his stock.

Ferris, as for the amount of offensive tackles and the linebackers, this coming draft is known for it's available talent at both positions. And Max Jean-Gilles, though listed as a guard, has the capability of being a right tackle at the next level. Many teams will be looking for good left tackles (including the Lions) and will want to get one of the top available talents. Same thing goes for the linebackers. Teams are realizing that fast linebackers with playmaking ability are a hot commodity and instantly make your defense better. Players like Jonathan Vilma, Odell Thurman, and DJ have instantly made their respective teams defenses better. Other teams have taken notice, and will tap into a very lucrative pool of these players that are available. Greenway, Hawk and Brooks will almost certainly go in the first round. Carpenter is underrated right now, I feel, and will move up even farther as time passes and he gets his workouts in. I wouldn't be surprised to see him pass Greenway on many draft boards. As for the lack of cornerbacks, that reflects an overall lull in the talent at the position. There has been critical injuries to many of the top rated corners this year, and that is going to reduce their status come April.
Blackmon is not having a very solid year, and Devin Hester isn't even a starter on his own team anymore. Both of these guys were considered first round picks at one time.

Just remember guys, it's still way early. Plus, to admit the facts, I haven't had much opportunity lately to watch my fill of college games on Saturdays, so I have to use some other sources for the rankings of players. I found that many of the sites that have the players ranked are not very concurrent with one another.

Thanks for the feedback.

November 14th, 2005, 12:36 pm
RIP Killer

Oops! I made a mistake. I accidentally had my informations mixed up on Haloti Ngata and Rodrique Wright. I should have had Rod Wright as my fourth rated DT coming up in the draft, not my first. Wright and Watson both have the same problems, neither is consistent and lack the work ethic that Ngata and Mahelona have.
As of now, I believe Ngata is the best available talent at the position. Is he a top ten talent? Probably not, but I feel a team like Baltimore will reach for him to pair up with Ma'ake Kemoeatu to have two big run stuffers to keep the heat off Lewis. I don't feel that Kelly Gregg is a bonafide starter, and is better as a backup rotational player along with Dwan Edwards. Aubrayo Franklin is marginal at best.
I feel the biggest need that the Ravens have is a quarterback of course. Outside of that, they could use another defensive end, as well as a better safety to start opposite Ed Reed. Reed should be a free safety and not a strong safety.
Anyways, just wanted to let you know that I wasn't losing my mind (that you know of).

November 15th, 2005, 10:23 am
QB Coach

LOL, sweet. Glad that we both see Wright as a lazy bum who doesn't use his skill set to his advantage.

November 15th, 2005, 8:07 pm
Profile WWW
Pro Bowl Player

After my post to you M2K I went and looked at drafts for the past 15 years, and it was common, especially in the 90's for 6 OL's to go in the first, including centers!

I guess I assumed OL's to be first round picks if they were the Gallerys of the collegiate ranks I was wrong - It probably as you stated amounts to what talent is coming out at what position

Still I would expect a top 10 WR and a top 10 CB - but trends aren't as common as I thought. The one trend I have noticed looking at past drafts is since PAYTON Manning was drafted, 6 of 7 first round picks have been at QB - not a coincidence Im sure

Taking a look back is a great place to begin I guess - I still think you put together a heck of a Mock considering how early it is

November 16th, 2005, 1:12 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

One of the things I am noticing in the drafts is that GMs have gotten wiser and are starting to take picks based on talent regardless of position. This is true particulary in positions where platooning and role players are common like DE, LB, RB.

When I did this mock, I actually based the picks of the teams in the top 15 more based on needs than on the talents of the players. That won't necessarily be the case come April though. Although I don't see it happening, it wouldn't surprise me if Houston were to take Matt Leinhart first overall. I agree with Brian when he says it's highly unlikely Leinhart will fall beyond the top three. Someone like the Jets will move up to get him.

November 19th, 2005, 12:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]