View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 22nd, 2014, 4:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Billy's Mock Drafts Thread. 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Billy's Mock Drafts Thread.
As a lifelong Lions fan, I have come to love mock drafts because by this time every season, we start thinking "wait till next year" just like Sparty fans, (just a little razzing #-o ).

As for this season, a couple of weeks ago, I pretty much fell into the wait until next year mode. IMHO, the best way for the Lions to win in the long term is to lose in the short term. This gets us a new Head Coach and another stud player (can we make it defense this time?). {Twisted thought: We have used all our 1st rounders on Offense the last 4 years and 2nd rounders for defense. The defense is really good. The offense sucks poop. Lets try it the other way arround for the next 2 drafts so things can even out a bit.

Anyways, here are a few links to some mock drafts. I love these things because it gives a clue as to who will be available to us when we pick.
I will add more as we approach the draft.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2006/mock2006.html

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockdraft.html

http://www.insidetheeagles.com/2006mockdraft.htm

http://www.gbnreport.com/2006projection.html

http://www.football.com/draft/2006/mccollom_mock_draft.shtml

Interestingly, most Lions fans think we need a new QB to groom. Most mock drafts think Vince Young, QB, Texas will slip to the 2nd round.

November 19th, 2005, 1:44 pm
QB Coach

Post Re: Billy's Mock Drafts Thread.
BillySims wrote:
Interestingly, most Lions fans think we need a new QB to groom. Most mock drafts think Vince Young, QB, Texas will slip to the 2nd round.

Any draft site that has Young dropping to the 2nd round, or out of the top 10, isn't credible.

November 19th, 2005, 11:05 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Some notable juniors or draft eligible players who I feel will not enter the 2006 NFL Draft:

QB Vince Young Texas
QB Brady Quinn Notre Dame
WR Steve Smith USC
WR Jarrett Hicks Texas Tech
WR Steve Breaston Michigan
OT Winston Justice USC
DE Quentin Moses Georgia
DT Marcus Thomas Florida
LB Paul Poslasny Penn State
CB Devin Hester Miami, FL
CB Ashton Youboty Ohio State
S LaRon Landry LSU
S Bernard Pollard Purdue

I'm not basing this on anything but gut instinct and some rumblings that I've heard through various media.

November 20th, 2005, 11:36 am
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

The consensus pick in the draft sites posted above seems to be Mathias Kiwanuka, a DE out of Boston College. I honestly don't see why the Lions would waste a 1st round pick on a DE. The defense this year, like the previous years has not been the Lions downfall, it's been their offense. I say we draft Marcus O'Neil (OT, Auburn) to help with the horrible OL. I especially don't get the draft site that has the Detroit Lions picking Lawrence Maroney fist round. Maybe later in the draft like 5th-6th round (whichever round we still have) we shoud draft a backup RB to Kevin Jones, but to choose one in the first round is ridiculous!!

November 23rd, 2005, 1:20 am
Profile YIM
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Actually, Kiwanuka is a very special talent. If he was available when our pick came up, I would not be disappointed if we took him. I would prefer to take an offensive lineman with our 1st pick, but this draft is pretty deep with prospects for guard and tackle. Kiwanuka would give us that added dimension on defense that we have been lacking, and that is a consistent rush from either end spot. Kiwanuka is a player in the mold of a Jevon Kearse, and who wouldn't take him?

Tim

November 23rd, 2005, 11:52 am
QB Coach

Some notable juniors or draft eligible players who I feel will not enter the 2006 NFL Draft:

S Bernard Pollard Purdue

Pollard and his teammate Ray Edwards (DE) have already entered the draft.

November 23rd, 2005, 12:05 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Post Re: Billy's Mock Drafts Thread.
BillySims wrote:
As a lifelong Lions fan, I have come to love mock drafts

Than you will love this LB feature once January rolls around:

http://www.lionbacker.com/?id=draft&sub=mock-drafts

We track a ton of mock drafts for you including who they are picking for the Lions and a link directly to that sites mock draft.

As you can see from last year, nobody picked BMW for the Lions though...

November 23rd, 2005, 12:09 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

I still say we should have traded that pick. It would be nice to be able to pick an OL and a QB this year.

November 23rd, 2005, 12:14 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

The consensus pick in the draft sites posted above seems to be Mathias Kiwanuka, a DE out of Boston College. I honestly don't see why the Lions would waste a 1st round pick on a DE. The defense this year, like the previous years has not been the Lions downfall, it's been their offense. I say we draft Marcus O'Neil (OT, Auburn) to help with the horrible OL. I especially don't get the draft site that has the Detroit Lions picking Lawrence Maroney fist round. Maybe later in the draft like 5th-6th round (whichever round we still have) we shoud draft a backup RB to Kevin Jones, but to choose one in the first round is ridiculous!!

TADOne wrote:
Actually, Kiwanuka is a very special talent. If he was available when our pick came up, I would not be disappointed if we took him. I would prefer to take an offensive lineman with our 1st pick, but this draft is pretty deep with prospects for guard and tackle. Kiwanuka would give us that added dimension on defense that we have been lacking, and that is a consistent rush from either end spot. Kiwanuka is a player in the mold of a Jevon Kearse, and who wouldn't take him?

I agree with Tim on this one. When it comes down to taking elite talent, you do it regardless of position in the first round. Kiwanuka has great height and good speed. While I like our current roster of defensive ends, I think that there could be some improvement in the speed aspect of them. I have my doubts that the Lions will be able to retain Jared Devries. Kalimba and Cory will be free agents as well. I know Cory will be restricted, I think Kalimba will be unrestricted. Kalimba will command some good cash, and he's our only speed rusher on staff right now. Cory could get some looks if the Lions offer him the standard tender. He's worth a third round pick. I have a feeling the Lions will offer him the up level tender of $1.3 million, like they did with Eddie Drummond. That would command a first round pick in return.

Marcus McNeil is somewhat overrated and is not really a top fifteen pick. He has had back problems, and that is critical for linemen. There are other offensive tackles who will begin to rise up the draft charts and eventually pass McNeil and some others. I will give the example of Michael Roos from last year. Tennessee took him in round two, and at this time last year he was considered a late round/undrafted talent. He has done a pretty decent job for the Titans as their starting RT. Kiwanuka was considered a first round talent last year if he would have declared. He is top ten talent for sure this year.

November 23rd, 2005, 12:49 pm
RIP Killer

m2karateman wrote:

S Bernard Pollard Purdue

Have they simply declared their intentions, or have they hired agents? I know that LenDale White hasn't declared, but has had some people looking into prospective agents.

November 23rd, 2005, 12:53 pm
RIP Killer

I still say we should have traded that pick. It would be nice to be able to pick an OL and a QB this year.

Traded down, or traded it outright for a first and second rounder this year?

November 23rd, 2005, 12:55 pm
Site Admin

Brian suggested last year that we trade out of our first round pick for more picks (early ones) this year from what I remember.

November 23rd, 2005, 1:51 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I know Millen made a statement that they tried to trade down last year, but there were no takers. I don't believe that. With how fast that selection was made, they wanted Mike Williams and weren't willing to answer the phone. I have a strong inclination to believe that, despite the lack of first round trades taking place, some teams were ringing up Detroit to make a trade. I don't necessarily believe they were interested in picking Williams. Some other teams were probably looking toward Merriman, Ware and Derrick Johnson for themselves.

The truth will probably never be known.

November 24th, 2005, 3:25 pm
QB Coach

Brian wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

S Bernard Pollard Purdue

Have they simply declared their intentions, or have they hired agents? I know that LenDale White hasn't declared, but has had some people looking into prospective agents.

They both declared their intentions.

November 25th, 2005, 12:37 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

m2karateman wrote:
Brian wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

S Bernard Pollard Purdue

They both declared their intentions.

So that means they haven't officially hired an agent. Either one or both can still decide to remain at Purdue should they wish. Not that they will, especially Edwards who could be a first round pick.

November 25th, 2005, 1:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next