View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 29th, 2014, 8:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Lions need to draft Omar Jacobs 
Peanut and Beer Salesman

Post Lions need to draft Omar Jacobs
Since Joeys and Jeffs career here in detroit is pretty much over I think we need to go after Omar jacobs for these reasons...

1. We aren't picking high enough to get Lienart

2. Hes an amazing QB has a great arm very accurate and is moble estamted to run a late 4.5

3. Hes a better overall QB then Young

4. I really believe Jacobs can restore the roar

But who knows guys lets pray to god that steve gets fired Jauran is the head coach and Joey gets the starting job back and maybe they win the rest of there games to go 9-7 to get in the wildcard..

www.nfldraftreport.tk

www.nfldraftblitz.com

November 25th, 2005, 4:48 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: Lions need to draft Omar Jacobs
Lions7777 wrote:
Since Joeys and Jeffs career here in detroit is pretty much over I think we need to go after Omar jacobs for these reasons...

1. We aren't picking high enough to get Lienart

2. Hes an amazing QB has a great arm very accurate and is moble estamted to run a late 4.5

3. Hes a better overall QB then Young

4. I really believe Jacobs can restore the roar

But who knows guys lets pray to god that steve gets fired Jauran is the head coach and Joey gets the starting job back and maybe they win the rest of there games to go 9-7 to get in the wildcard..

Let me sum up my opinion of Omar Jacobs in one word: overrated.

November 25th, 2005, 5:09 pm
Peanut and Beer Salesman

Why is he overrated? Have you seen him play he is an amazing QB prospect has a great arm very accurate and is fast and he put up outstanding numbers with pretty much no talent around him. If you wan't to talk about overrated look at Vince Young yes hes an outstanding athlete but he does not have a good arm and is not that accurate and he barely put up solid passing numbers this year and with all that talent around him...

I think Jacobs fits in are offense perfectly he has great size at 6 4 226 pounds and is estamted to round a 4.59 - 4.61.

Also if we don't draft Jacobs what are we going to do for a QB unless Joey does something amazing we will have no starting QB. Do you really wan't us to sign vetrean QBs like Garcia and Warner year after year?

November 25th, 2005, 5:25 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Why is he overrated? Have you seen him play he is an amazing QB prospect has a great arm very accurate and is fast and he put up outstanding numbers with pretty much no talent around him. If you wan't to talk about overrated look at Vince Young yes hes an outstanding athlete but he does not have a good arm and is not that accurate and he barely put up solid passing numbers this year and with all that talent around him...

I think Jacobs fits in are offense perfectly he has great size at 6 4 226 pounds and is estamted to round a 4.59 - 4.61.

Also if we don't draft Jacobs what are we going to do for a QB unless Joey does something amazing we will have no starting QB. Do you really wan't us to sign vetrean QBs like Garcia and Warner year after year?

How about Marcus Vick or Charlie Whitehurst? Or what if Drew Stanton or Brady Quinn come out for the draft??!!

November 25th, 2005, 5:37 pm
Profile YIM
Peanut and Beer Salesman

How about Marcus Vick or Charlie Whitehurst? Or what if Drew Stanton or Brady Quinn come out for the draft??!!

Marcus Vick is one of the most overrated QBs in college if his brother was not mike vick he would be just a reguler QB. Look at his numbers comon the only good games he had were agianst teams like duke and ohio..

Charlie Whitehurst I watched him play he is not even half the QB Jacobs is. If we draft a QB I say we get the best we can why settle just so we don't waste a first round pick?

Drew stanton and Quinn would both be nice but none of them have showed they plan on entering the draft.

www.nfldraftreport.tk

www.nfldraftblitz.com

November 25th, 2005, 5:41 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

If not who really cares!

November 25th, 2005, 5:53 pm
Peanut and Beer Salesman

Can he play left tackle?

If not who really cares!

No but he can play QB and last I checked that was a position we really had a problem with.. Plus we can draft a OT like Jeremy Trueblood in the 2nd-3rd round the guy is very talented and he is about 335 pounds!

www.nfldraftreport.tk

www.nfldraftblitz.com

November 25th, 2005, 5:58 pm
Bubbles the Lion

Aren't we all sick of the draft? when was the last time we got a great player from their? Barry? We should take a offensive lineman to replace the crappy players we have at that position and leave free agency or a trade to get a quality PROVEN not bust material QB.

If we do go to the draft for a QB I think we should look at Troy Smith the Ohio QB, I don't watch Ohio football much but as much as I hate to say it he looked great against Michigan. How is he overall?

November 25th, 2005, 6:07 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I have seen Jacobs play on a number of occasions. He is very raw and his listed size is greatly exaggerated. This is not a comparison of Jacobs versus Young. I personally don't think Vince Young will be a great pro quarterback if he enters the draft this year. He needs to stay in school and further develop his passing abilities. Based on where the Lions will likely make their selection in round one (from 8-15 based on a record somewhere from 5-11 to 7-9), I think Jacobs would be a reach. Jacobs is a late first to early second round player at this point.

November 25th, 2005, 6:18 pm
Peanut and Beer Salesman

Why are you guys so hyped up about moble QBs like young and smith nethier of them have a strong arm or a accurate one for that matter.. I don't know about you but I don't want to watch them sign vetrean qbs year after year...

www.nfldraftreport.tk

www.nfldraftblitz.com

November 25th, 2005, 6:20 pm
RIP Killer

No but he can play QB and last I checked that was a position we really had a problem with.. Plus we can draft a OT like Jeremy Trueblood in the 2nd-3rd round the guy is very talented and he is about 335 pounds!

No, we don't have a problem with JUST the QB position. A better offensive line opens up an entire realm of possibilities. However, I am not convinced that the problems on offense are a matter of personnel. I think our offensive line can be effective, as well as our quarterbacks, with the right coach and offensive approach. We don't even have to abandon the West Coast Offense, just start using it to it's potential by approaching things differently.

I think Harrington CAN be an effective quarterback. I know our offensive line is capable of better blocking. That was proven last year when Kevin Jones was able to run rampant in the second half of the season.

And while I like Jeremy Trueblood, he is certainly not the most gifted tackle available in this coming draft. If Backus leaves, which I suspect he will, the first round pick of this team MUST be an offensive tackle. Particularly if the Lions are unable to land a free agent left tackle.

November 25th, 2005, 6:26 pm
Peanut and Beer Salesman

Post Omar
This is great....hearing about how Omar is overrated. I myself go to BGSU, and go to every home game, so here is my opinion on Omar.

This is the most important stat to be put up here. When Omar separated his non-throwing shoulder, the team went 1-2. We scored a total of 28 points in those two losses when he was out. Omar is the man on our one man team. That's what Bowling Green is this year. If you watch Omar, he does something important that Joey doesn't do a whole lot...he looks at different receivers and when he sees one open he puts it right on the money nine out of ten times. He can also throw with great accuracy on the run.

It will take him time to learn NFL defenses, which is expected, but I do think he will turn out to be something special.

November 25th, 2005, 7:32 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: Omar
tduds20 - nice to see input from someone who has seen Omar up close a number of times - thank you.

When (in the 1st round) is he projected to go in the draft?

Here is one sites take:

Quote:
In his first year as a starter, Omar Jacobs had one of the greatest years of any quarterback in college football history. He completed 66.9% of his passes for 4,002 yards, and 41 touchdowns. The most impressive stat though, was that he only threw 4 interceptions on 462 passes. The 41 touchdowns led the nation, and was also a MAC record. The 41/4 TD/INT ratio is the best ever in Division 1A. He?s not just a pure pocket passer either. Jacobs managed to rush for 300 yards and 4 more scores. He racked up quite a few post season awards for his awesome sophomore season. Omar was named to various All-American lists, was voted MVP of the GMAC Bowl, and was named MAC offensive player of the year.

Jacobs is the complete package at quarterback. He?s tall, strong, and athletic. He has a very good arm, and can easily make all the throws. His mobility is very impressive too. When things break down, he can leave the pocket and throw on the run, or tuck it and make something happen with his feet. He has displayed poise in the pocket, though at times he has left the pocket a little early.

There really aren?t too many flaws in Jacobs? game. The biggest is his throwing mechanics, specifically his release point. Jacobs releases the ball at about shoulder height. He doesn?t get the ball up high enough. He negates his height advantage by throwing the ball that low, and it will result in tipped passes in the NFL. The only other issue would possibly be his experience, as he's a redshirt junior, and this is only his second season as a starter.

Omar Jacobs is the latest in the line of MAC QB?s to develop into big time NFL prospects. He will need some coaching in the NFL to fix his mechanics, but other than that, he has everything needed to be a star at the next level. The sky is the limit both in terms of potential and in draft stock. He probably is not looking at a top 5 pick this year because of Matt Leinart?s presence at the quarterback spot, but he is a legit first round prospect. It might be wise for him to stay for his senior year to work on his mechanics at the college level, but when it comes down to it, that guaranteed money is hard to turn down.

an anothers...

Quote:
This is a quarterback who's future looks bright with his combination of athletic skills and pocket awareness, who often overshadows the players around him

He has the size you look for to stand strong in the pocket, has the arm strength and touch on a variety of passes needed to lead his team down field, he is also a very efficient passer, in that he has a good touchdown to interception ratio

He is a patient quarterback in the pocket, that has excellent decision making skills, that has the mobility and smooth movement in the pocket to keep plays alive and make plays on the run, he is a quarterback that prefers to throw first and make things happen with his feet second, he looks to keep his eyes down field to complete the pass first

When his option is to scramble for yardage he has the versatility and skill set to do so, he is a quick decision maker in this department, when all possibilities to throw are limited to none, he quickly tucks the ball down and becomes a dangerous threat on the run

With his combination of size, decision making, confidence on the field, and athletic ability he has the potential to be a franchise quarterback at the next level

The one thing I would like him to work on is his delivery, he looks to have a hitch in his throw before delivering the ball, other than that the ceiling is very high for this player

After further evaluation, I still question the hitch in his throwing motion along with not having the proper foot work when throwing the ball, at times he throws off balance or not following through on his passes
I am starting to question his pocket presence, because once the pass rush begins to close in around him he tends to look for the pressure which keeps him from looking down field for the completion

Last edited by Pablo on November 25th, 2005, 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 25th, 2005, 7:43 pm
Profile WWW
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Am I the only one that does not want a QB in the first round. I want a LT and OG. With our draft position and this draft class we get two All Pro potential players in the first and second round.

November 25th, 2005, 7:49 pm
Peanut and Beer Salesman

I am telling you guys if Joey does not make somthing happen if he is given the starting job back then we need to draft a QB we need a young QB to build around this offense. Also pablo can you tell me how much longer we have Roy Williams Mike williams and kevin jones undercontract?

www.nfldraftreport.tk

www.nfldraftblitz.com

November 25th, 2005, 7:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next