View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 28th, 2014, 9:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Lions need to draft Omar Jacobs 
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Omar Jacobs will be running for his life with this OL.

November 25th, 2005, 8:04 pm
RIP Killer

Joey is only 26 years old. That IS a young quarterback.

November 25th, 2005, 8:08 pm
Peanut and Beer Salesman

Post This is IF he declares for the draft
This might be all moot point though...no one around here really knows if he is going to enter the draft...hurting his non-throwing shoulder and being out for a 3 games didn't do anything to help his draft stock, and even before then there were questions about if he was going or not.

But for now I say it's about 60% he stays.

And yes, he does have a very odd throwing release, something he might have to work on, since it's a wonder he doesn't have more balls batted down at the line of scrimmage, but hey, whatever works.

November 25th, 2005, 9:37 pm
QB Coach

Jacobs is at best the 4th best quarterback eligible for the draft. He's behind Leinart, Young, and Quinn, and there are plenty of others i'd make an argument for (Jay Cutler - lot like Brett Favre, has a cannon for an arm and just raw talent). He's not a first rounder anymore. I think staying in school another year would be the best move for him.

I saw him play on numerous occasions, and actually, I came out more impressed with Charles Sharon than I did Omar Jacobs. All Omar does is dumpoffs into open areas against crappy MAC defenses. He isn't like Roethlisberger taking the shots downfield, or Leftwich, Frye, Pennington, other QBs in that MAC conference. Him and Gradkowski are both system type quarterbacks who have offenses designed to make their jobs easier.

Jacobs has one of the strangest releases i've seen. Almost Rivers-esque. Not really though, but it's strange. It will need to be fixed. It takes so much time for the ball to get out of his hands.

And I don't like his arm strength. Maybe that's because the majority of the throws i've seen him do are dumpoffs to wide receivers running drag routes, or to P.J. Pope out of the backfield, but when he has thrown the slant and curl routes, it hasn't been pretty. The package just isn't all there yet.

He's not the answer to the Lions problems. People need to stop with this mentality that the outer parts of this team are the problem. I've heard it for years - the secondary, the receivers, runningbacks, quarterbacks. You build a team from the inside out. And the Lions have tried building a team around guys like Aaron Gibson, Stockar McDougle, David Loverne, Matt Joyce, Rick DeMulling, Kyle Kosier and soon to be Jeff Backus. Garbage players. Our QBs have no time, so they throw passes up for grabs that the receiver has no clue what to do.

This team isn't going to be competitive for at least 2 more years. You don't take a QB now, you take the offensive linemen that are going to help the team become a better one. If the Lions don't acquire veterans that we KNOW are going to be good linemen, or guys in the draft that are touted as "cant miss" players, a la Hutchinson of Seattle a few years back, Gallery, Gross, then this team isn't going anywhere. Why wasn't Marco Rivera pursued, or Mike Wahle? The best answer was Rick Demulling?

Find quality offensive lineman, give the ball to Kevin Jones (not Bryson and Pinner), and find a tight end that isn't scared of getting hit and can catch the ball. Don't worry about the receivers, don't worry about the defense. They will find themselves.

November 25th, 2005, 11:53 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

He's [Omar Jacobs] not the answer to the Lions problems. People need to stop with this mentality that the outer parts of this team are the problem. I've heard it for years - the secondary, the receivers, runningbacks, quarterbacks. You build a team from the inside out. And the Lions have tried building a team around guys like Aaron Gibson, Stockar McDougle, David Loverne, Matt Joyce, Rick DeMulling, Kyle Kosier and soon to be Jeff Backus. Garbage players. Our QBs have no time, so they throw passes up for grabs that the receiver has no clue what to do.

This team isn't going to be competitive for at least 2 more years. You don't take a QB now, you take the offensive linemen that are going to help the team become a better one. If the Lions don't acquire veterans that we KNOW are going to be good linemen, or guys in the draft that are touted as "cant miss" players, a la Hutchinson of Seattle a few years back, Gallery, Gross, then this team isn't going anywhere. Why wasn't Marco Rivera pursued, or Mike Wahle? The best answer was Rick Demulling?

Find quality offensive lineman, give the ball to Kevin Jones (not Bryson and Pinner), and find a tight end that isn't scared of getting hit and can catch the ball. Don't worry about the receivers, don't worry about the defense. They will find themselves.

Brian, I agree with everything you said about Jacobs and the Lions problems. I don't believe the real problem is the players, but the poor coaching being done by this current staff.

In regards to your statements about Wahle and Rivera, they signed almost immediately with the first teams they visited. The Lions never even got a chance to see them. I believe Rivera had Detroit on his visit list, but of course that was cancelled. Demulling was the best option after those two signed. And truth of the matter is, with the ENTIRE line doing poorly, I wonder if Demulling is really a problem or if he just has his weaknesses magnified in the current blocking scheme, much like the rest of the Lions o-line.

November 26th, 2005, 12:50 am
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Even though the QB problems aren't Harrington's fault Harrington will NOT be back next season!!

November 26th, 2005, 12:53 am
Profile YIM
Stadium Announcer

Based on what I'm hearing, Jacobs sounds like a project. If we can land him in the 3rd round, im all for it. He sound good in terms of what he can do, just he has a lot of mechanics issues, but those are definately fixable. He sounds a lot like McNabb to me. Big guy that has a cannon, and can run if needed. Plus he's a MAC QB so it might be a diamond in the rough.

November 26th, 2005, 1:10 am

Based on what I'm hearing, Jacobs sounds like a project. If we can land him in the 3rd round, im all for it. He sound good in terms of what he can do, just he has a lot of mechanics issues, but those are definately fixable. He sounds a lot like McNabb to me. Big guy that has a cannon, and can run if needed. Plus he's a MAC QB so it might be a diamond in the rough.

Definitely!! Byron Leftwitch, Ben Roethlisburger, and Chad Pennington all came from the MAC (also, don't forget Charlie Frye). Omar Jacobs might be the next great MAC QB and if we can land him in the 2nd-3rd round I'm all for it. But drafting him in the first round I'm not for, because if we can't pick up an OL in FA we DEFINITELY need to draft an OL in the 1st round!!

November 26th, 2005, 1:19 am
Profile YIM
5th Round Pick - Traded

I hope I get to meet and kiss Omar one day like it seems so many others have.

If he was on the team this season, he would have the same problems the other 2 have. There is simply no time to consistently go through the progressions and find the second or third receiver. It's a dump immediately to the 4th option to avoid getting crushed by a defense that seems to come from all angles. There's no pocket to step into, and no back-door escape because there's a D.E. waiting.

The Lions need to decide whether or not the O.L. they have can succeed with a different blocking scheme or not. I have news for some of you: Woody wasn't a crappy guard in New England and DeMulling wasn't garbage in Indy. These are good players that I feel have been put into a defeated system with no hope of succeding.

Until they figure out how to devise a blocking system that will keep the pressure off of the Q.B., you could put any Hall of Fame quarterback in the backfield and they would fail.

As for drafting a guard/tackle and Q.B. and putting them all in and expecting success as rookies, maybe someone needs to re-evaluate the level of talent they think is coming out in this years draft. IT WON'T WORK!!!

November 26th, 2005, 1:57 am
League MVP

Draft DJ Shockley, if he cant play QB then you still have a nice athlete to play as a safety or on your offense as an RB or WR...

November 26th, 2005, 9:05 am
Hall of Fame Player

How about one of the Mods moves this thread to the draft section where it belongs.

Please.

November 26th, 2005, 9:53 am
Profile WWW
Peanut and Beer Salesman

Post ..
"All Omar does is dumpoffs into open areas"

Boy, now where oh where have I seen these kind of plays before?...oh, that's right, every Sunday. I think he would fit right in, no? :lol:

November 26th, 2005, 11:14 am
Post Re: Omar
tduds20 wrote:
This is great....hearing about how Omar is overrated. I myself go to BGSU, and go to every home game, so here is my opinion on Omar.

This is the most important stat to be put up here. When Omar separated his non-throwing shoulder, the team went 1-2. We scored a total of 28 points in those two losses when he was out. Omar is the man on our one man team. That's what Bowling Green is this year. If you watch Omar, he does something important that Joey doesn't do a whole lot...he looks at different receivers and when he sees one open he puts it right on the money nine out of ten times. He can also throw with great accuracy on the run.

It will take him time to learn NFL defenses, which is expected, but I do think he will turn out to be something special.

Joey DID look at multiple receivers in college, just like most coaches. You don't get to the NFL lacking the ability to see the whole field. Did anyone watch the Mon. night Houston game this year??? Carr locks onto one WR too... He also didn't do this in college. Why does he do it now??? TIME... Niether Joey or Carr have time to scan the field, look AT multiple WR's, and look OFF Db's. Bradshaw made an interesting comment a few weeks back about JH... He said that as JH backs up, he doesn't (and can't) be comfortable and scan the WR's... Joey's FIRST read is the OL read, a read he really shouldn't have to make. Sure he's got to pay attention, but he shouldn't have to analyze the OL and make sure that they're doing their job, as he is forced to do. Bradshaw went on to say that the NFL is played too fast to look at the OL and "read" the OL. But still Bradshaw didn't fault Joey for it and he understands it as something Joey has to do right now because his OL sux.

Just because a QB scans the whole field in college it doesn't mean they'll have the luxerey of doing so in the NFL. Passers like JH and Carr used to be able to do these things with regularity in college, but their OL precludes them from doing these things in NFL. We need to fix our OL first, and worry about the skill positions second. I'm with those that say we need an OT and OG in the draft. I don't even care if we DO pick up a FA OG or an FA OT... If we do they will likely be old, and we will need a good backup/project player at the position to solidify the line for years to come. Max Jean Giles is my first round pick as long as we're picking after 15 or so... if before than D'Brickshaw/Scott/Winston/Ferguson/McNiel would be my pick.. in order. I base that off of the likelihood that they'll be able to play LT if Backus leaves... Even if Backus doesn't leave I would only offer him a minimal contract and use him as depth. I really don't think he's capable of even being a top 15 LT, which is, IMO, a must have on a good OL.

November 26th, 2005, 4:52 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

You guys are all wrong. Dan O. is obviously the savior of the Lions.

Duh. :shock:

November 26th, 2005, 5:20 pm
Profile WWW

You guys are all wrong. Dan O. is obviously the savior of the Lions.

Duh. :shock:

Hey, you never know!! Maybe the Lions should start him in the remaining 5 games instead of having QB controversy between Harrington and Garcia!!

November 26th, 2005, 6:22 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next