View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 28th, 2014, 11:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Lions need to draft Omar Jacobs 
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

We better not Draft Omar Jacobs or any other QB for that matter

We need to rebuild our line with some vets and draft picks and get Jones and the running game rolling behind this new line

With our draft pick this year better be on the line either way as in a stud DE or a Stud OLineman Becuase Games are won in the trenches

LEts use the bears for example Lovie Smith brought in Dlineman Tommie Harris, Tank Johnson, Adewale Ogunleye, and Offensive Lineman Fred Miller,John Tait,Rueben Brown.....The Bears our going to the playoffs becuase they have strong line play and we are not becuase our oline is horrible

Given a New HC and a Line who can Block Joey will be more then enough for us to suceed with Jones Running the ball and Pollard and Williams out there making plays.

Now we need to dump Garcia and replace him with Ktina to fight Harringtn for the job

November 26th, 2005, 10:29 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

We need to rebuild our line with some vets and draft picks and get Jones and the running game rolling behind this new line

With our draft pick this year better be on the line either way as in a stud DE or a Stud OLineman Becuase Games are won in the trenches

LEts use the bears for example Lovie Smith brought in Dlineman Tommie Harris, Tank Johnson, Adewale Ogunleye, and Offensive Lineman Fred Miller,John Tait,Rueben Brown.....The Bears our going to the playoffs becuase they have strong line play and we are not becuase our oline is horrible

Given a New HC and a Line who can Block Joey will be more then enough for us to suceed with Jones Running the ball and Pollard and Williams out there making plays.

Now we need to dump Garcia and replace him with Ktina to fight Harringtn for the job

I definitely agree with drafting an OL in the 1st round of the draft and building up our OL, because the line wins or loses a game. But if we can snatch up Omar Jacobs in the 2nd round I'm all for it!! Also, don't forget about replacing the aging Earl Holmes at MLB, seeing how he probably won't be back next season.

On the other hand, our WR are just horrible and whoever coaches them next season needs to give them a kick in the rectum. Also, JOEY HARRINGTON won't be back next season. I know not all the QB problems are Harrington's fault, but the Detroit Lions should get rid of both Joey Harrington and Jeff Garcia next year. I know they didn't lose the game for us (even though Garcia actually did in the OT against the Chicago Bears), but neither QB showed consistency at the position either. The ideal QB's for the Detroit Lions next season would be Volek or Schaub (both terrific backup QB's) because of their talent and they are both somewhat proven veterans, but at the same time are both relatively young.

November 26th, 2005, 10:40 pm
Profile YIM
RIP Killer

Can I get an "Amen" from the congregation?!

I'm with you Stallion. Joey can do the job if he is given the right opportunity. To this point in his career, he has not.

November 27th, 2005, 12:12 am

Stallion wrote:

I'm with you Stallion. Joey can do the job if he is given the right opportunity. To this point in his career, he has not.

The Lions BETTER dump Joey at season's end if they have playoff aspirations next season!!

November 27th, 2005, 12:50 am
Profile YIM
5th Round Pick - Traded

Stallion wrote:

AMEN :shock:

November 27th, 2005, 3:28 am
RIP Killer

The Lions BETTER dump Joey at season's end if they have playoff aspirations next season!!

You are wrong preston. The Lions failure to achieve a winning record has had nothing to do with poor quarterback play. While Harrington hasn't been as consistent as most fans would like, it's kind of hard to become consistent when:

A) You have a constant rotation of receivers to develop timing with and they have to learn their reads and hot route calls

B) You are playing under a head coach who obviously does not want you running his offense

C) You have an offensive line that simply isn't stopping defenders from reaching you milliseconds after reaching your drop

D) You have no rushing game

November 27th, 2005, 11:23 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

adpreston1385 wrote:

You are wrong preston. The Lions failure to achieve a winning record has had nothing to do with poor quarterback play. While Harrington hasn't been as consistent as most fans would like, it's kind of hard to become consistent when:

A) You have a constant rotation of receivers to develop timing with and they have to learn their reads and hot route calls

B) You are playing under a head coach who obviously does not want you running his offense

C) You have an offensive line that simply isn't stopping defenders from reaching you milliseconds after reaching your drop

here here

November 27th, 2005, 10:00 pm
QB Coach

adpreston1385 wrote:

So you're saying that the Lions should keep Harrington and give him the starting job next year, with better talent around him?

November 27th, 2005, 10:23 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

m2karateman wrote:
adpreston1385 wrote:

So you're saying that the Lions should keep Harrington and give him the starting job next year, with better talent around him?

What I'm saying is that we should keep Harrington around if we can get the current talent supporting him, along with a coach who isn't leaving him hanging out to dry. If the Lions can get a coach who will instill the young man with some confidence and show that he has support from the sidelines, I think Harrington will do just fine.

I think our offensive line is in need of help more than the quarterback position. The Lions offense has failed with the unwanted son (Harrington) and with the preferred son (Garcia). It's the father (Mariucci) that's to blame for this family (Lions) being dysfunctional (losing).

November 27th, 2005, 10:28 pm
Brian wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
adpreston1385 wrote:

What I'm saying is that we should keep Harrington around if we can get the current talent supporting him, along with a coach who isn't leaving him hanging out to dry. If the Lions can get a coach who will instill the young man with some confidence and show that he has support from the sidelines, I think Harrington will do just fine.

I think our offensive line is in need of help more than the quarterback position. The Lions offense has failed with the unwanted son (Harrington) and with the preferred son (Garcia). It's the father (Mariucci) that's to blame for this family (Lions) being dysfunctional (losing).

I agree M2... Even if Harrington isn't the guy, on our team few Qb's would have an easy time of being successful, and I have to believe that there are ZERO rookies that would be able to get it done here. I don't advocate going into next year with JH, DO, and JG, but I would go into next season with JH, DO, and a vet that can stay healthy. I'm really frustrated with Mooch cause I think Brad Johnson would have been a great pick up for us.

Still, we would better suit ourselves to fix the rest of the team, evalutate Joey with a decent OL and scheme that fits his strengths. If it doesn't work out get our future Qb next year when our team is (hopefully) set, and we are better suited to have some success at the position.

November 29th, 2005, 3:45 pm
Varsity Captain

I have seen Omar Jacobs play in person, and he would be a great pickup in the 3rd or late 2nd, but not much sooner then that, he has some great ability but he is pretty raw.

We need a OL or DE in the 1st round IMO.

With the OL being as bad as it is the Lions need to draft a mobile QB be it Vick, Young, Jacobs, McNeal, Stanton, or other the OL is a long way from being a dominant enough for a pure pocket passer to be successful.

Quote:

I disagree, true the OL is horrible, but Harringtons problem is as a pure pocket passer he is completely reliant on his OL and WRs, plus with his added lack of field vision it really compounds the problem. I mean sure in perfect conditions Harrington can be a servicable QB but nearly no QB in the league has a perfect situation, its their ability to adjust that makes a QB good, and IMO Harrington is very limited in that respect.

December 3rd, 2005, 8:48 pm

I have seen Omar Jacobs play in person, and he would be a great pickup in the 3rd or late 2nd, but not much sooner then that, he has some great ability but he is pretty raw.

We need a OL or DE in the 1st round IMO.

With the OL being as bad as it is the Lions need to draft a mobile QB be it Vick, Young, Jacobs, McNeal, Stanton, or other the OL is a long way from being a dominant enough for a pure pocket passer to be successful.

Quote:

I disagree, true the OL is horrible, but Harringtons problem is as a pure pocket passer he is completely reliant on his OL and WRs, plus with his added lack of field vision it really compounds the problem. I mean sure in perfect conditions Harrington can be a servicable QB but nearly no QB in the league has a perfect situation, its their ability to adjust that makes a QB good, and IMO Harrington is very limited in that respect.

This is why the Detroit Lions should trade Joey Harrington and for all of you out there that think he deserves another shot, YOU'RE MENTAL!! How many oppotunities does this team need to give to him? This was his 4th year in the NFL and if he can't make something happen by now he'll never be successful here!! There are no excuses in the NFL!!

December 3rd, 2005, 10:29 pm
Profile YIM
Fair Weather Fan

I like the kid a lot, but from what I hear and all of the mock drafts that I have seen, he's either gonna stay for another year or be an early second round pick.

I think he would fit in great here, but I still think OT or DE is the way to go in the first round.

December 3rd, 2005, 11:08 pm
I like the kid a lot, but from what I hear and all of the mock drafts that I have seen, he's either gonna stay for another year or be an early second round pick.

I think he would fit in great here, but I still think OT or DE is the way to go in the first round.

I agree.. OT, DE in the first round (unless we end up picking after 15 or so... as I have said before, if the top DE's and OT's are gone, I think Max Jean Giles at LG would help our OL better than a 2nd rate OT). I think/hope we go strictly D in the 2nd round and pick a FS, MLB, or CB (in that order).

December 3rd, 2005, 11:21 pm
RIP Killer

Well imagine that. A quarterback who actually is foolish enough to rely on his offensive line to block and give him suitable time. A quarterback who actually expects that his receivers will catch the ball.

My God. What an idiot Harrington must be to expect such unreasonable things from those men. You know, even though that's what their job is, what they get paid for and what is needed in order to make the offense run. DAMN YOU JOEY HARRINGTON FOR EXPECTING YOUR TEAMMATES TO HOLD UP THEIR END OF THE BARGAIN AND TO ACTUALLY DO WHAT'S EXPECTED OF THEM WHILE PLAYING FOOTBALL!!

Based on that we should release Harrington immediately, huh Einstein?

Spare me your elementary reasonings on this subject. Harrington has improvised pretty well the last few games he has played. Harrington has outplayed Garcia in the last three games each have played. In the Atlanta game, before the bumbling Mooch pulled him, Joey actually accounted for four first downs by passing, 2 out of 5 third downs converted. Garcia only achieved three first downs through the air in all the time he was in the game and went 0 for 7 on third down conversions via the pass. Garcia has made some nifty improvisational plays at times. He's also made several bonehead plays, at least one of which led directly to the Chicago loss in OT. The offense has not been productive with him behind center. Statistically the offense has actually been less productive while Jeff has been playing QB on every front except completion percentage and yards per game overall. However, in the last three games each have played, Joey is only 2% behind him in completion percentage, but has produced more first downs through the air and has doubled the third down conversion rate Jeff has achieved through the air. In short, the teams offense has actually been more proficient with Joey. So stow the garbage about Joey needing perfect conditions. He's never had perfect conditions here in Detroit. He's never had a line with any semblance of working together effectively as they could because of changes to personnel. Same thing goes with receivers. There has been no ability to 'mesh'. Developing timing with your receivers is a top priority for an NFL quarterback. The Lions have had a revolving door of wide receivers for various reasons.

I've said it before, Joey won't be a superstar. He may not even be considered among the best quarterbacks in the league. But the Lions, nor any other team needs a great quarterback to get to the playoffs and win. But what they do need is a coach who puts faith in his quarterback, an offensive line and receivers who do their job, and a running back who can eat up yards on the ground. The Lions are lacking on all fronts there.

December 3rd, 2005, 11:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next