View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 19th, 2014, 8:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 OL vs. DE 2006 NFL draft 

What position should the Lions draft in the 1st round of the 2006 NFL Draft?
Poll ended at March 8th, 2006, 8:46 pm
DE 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
OL 100%  100%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 15

OL vs. DE 2006 NFL draft 
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Post OL vs. DE 2006 NFL draft
Should the Lions go with an OL or DE in the 1st round of the 2006 NFL Draft? I don't see any reason why we wouldn't go with an OL in the 1st round of the draft. If ya'll haven't noticed the Detroit Lions problem is their offense, not their defense. I believe we're ranked like 14th-16th in the NFL in total defense, but we're like 28th in the league in total offense. That should sound an alarm right there!! I say we choose the best OL available in the 1st round unless we can trade down and pick up 2 OL in the 1st round!! Now that would be amazing!! I was just wondering what everyone thought about this topic. A lot of the draft sites have the Lions drafting a DE out of Boston College (Mathias Kiwanaka) or a DE out of Penn State (Tama....something) But I don't get why we would draft a DE at all in the 1st round!! Especially with the play of Kalimba Edwards this year!! He might be able to start at the DE position next year and then we'd have Rogers, Edwards, Hall, and Wilkinson!! What a monster the line would be with Shaun Cody and Corey Redding rotating in!! Anyways if anyone does BELIEVE we should draft a DE 1st round in the 2006 draft please let me know who you think we should draft and why the hell we should draft a DE anyways!!

November 28th, 2005, 8:46 pm
Profile YIM
RIP Killer

I didn't vote because it will depend on free agency. Our bigger need is offensive line by far. But we stand to have greater losses at defensive end. Only Hall and Swancutt are signed for 2006. It is countless to ask what our definitive need will be come April. But it sure is fun thinking about it.

November 28th, 2005, 8:56 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Good question ad. They are both a huge need, but I voted oline. If we could get D'Bricksaw, that would be awesome. I know NFL Draft Blitz has us getting Marcus O'Neil, but they say that he might end up having a weight problem. I don't want any more McDs or Gibsons. But as Mike said, it all depends on FA.

November 28th, 2005, 9:04 pm
Profile WWW
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

It depends on FA and talent available at our pick, The reason that getting a good DE is important becuase it would put our D over the top since Rogers and Big Daddy get so much attention and adding someone like Mario Willaim considered the next Peppers but also there are allot of good line talent this year

November 28th, 2005, 9:09 pm
Stadium Announcer

I think it really depends who is available at our pick. If the elite OT's are gone and one of the two Elite DE's are there you go DE. I prefer taking a DE but if there is a great OT there we should maybe take him. O line needs to be fixed through FA and the draft but you can get a nice guard in the 2nd thru 5th rounds if you get a top OT in free agency.

November 28th, 2005, 9:43 pm
QB Coach

The Lions need to take the best avaliable player. That could be a QB, that could be a all-purpose player, or that could be an offensive lineman. What can you say that this team DOESN'T need?

Of course, no receivers. :wink:

November 28th, 2005, 10:25 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

It is a good question but it really does depend on Free Agency (or what we go for in a Charles Rogers trade).

My gut tells me that I hate to invest a first round pick into an O-linemen because they take so long to develop. I'd rather get a tackle in FA and use the pick on a DE pass rusher (which we didn't do this year). :roll:

But again, there's a lot that can change between now and then.

November 28th, 2005, 10:34 pm
Profile WWW
NFL Team Captain

As most everybody has said, it will all come down to free agency. With the little dysfunctional family unit we have become it will take alot to get FAs to come here let alone keep our own FAs. When all is said and done it may well be the draft we have to look to for both positions.

November 29th, 2005, 6:46 am
Not only will it depend on FA's available and what talent is available when we pick, but it will also depend on our draft position. IMO if we're picking top 15 we should draft an OT or DE. However, if we manage to win a few games here and pick 15 or lower, I would like to see us draft an OG (Max Jean Giles) or perhaps even a MLB (Abdul Hodge). The top OT's should be gone by 15, along with the top DE's. I think a great MLB or OG can help us as much as a OT or DE.

In addition, not only will it depend on what we do in FA, it will also depend on which RFA's and UFA's we are able to retain. I understand that most people lump the two together, but I don't eat the cornbread that says the players that we retain are the same as getting FA's. Still, what players we keep and lose will be a hugely determining factor in what our draft looks like. Not that I think Backus is a great (or even good) LT, but if we lose him our need for an OT becomes by far our biggest need. Additionally, if we lose both Edwards and Redding (unlikely but it could happen) DE suddenly becomes a HUGE hole on D. Our DL is pretty good now, even if it would benefit greatly from an every down DE to play opposite of James Hall. Without Redding and Edwards we would not only need a new starter, but we would need depth as well.

November 29th, 2005, 2:36 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Not only will it depend on FA's available and what talent is available when we pick, but it will also depend on our draft position. IMO if we're picking top 15 we should draft an OT or DE. However, if we manage to win a few games here and pick 15 or lower, I would like to see us draft an OG (Max Jean Giles) or perhaps even a MLB (Abdul Hodge). The top OT's should be gone by 15, along with the top DE's. I think a great MLB or OG can help us as much as a OT or DE.

In addition, not only will it depend on what we do in FA, it will also depend on which RFA's and UFA's we are able to retain. I understand that most people lump the two together, but I don't eat the cornbread that says the players that we retain are the same as getting FA's. Still, what players we keep and lose will be a hugely determining factor in what our draft looks like. Not that I think Backus is a great (or even good) LT, but if we lose him our need for an OT becomes by far our biggest need. Additionally, if we lose both Edwards and Redding (unlikely but it could happen) DE suddenly becomes a HUGE hole on D. Our DL is pretty good now, even if it would benefit greatly from an every down DE to play opposite of James Hall. Without Redding and Edwards we would not only need a new starter, but we would need depth as well.

Don't forget that we have Shaun Cody though!! He can eventually become a starter at the DT position (preferably when Dan Wilkinson retires)

November 29th, 2005, 6:09 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]