View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 31st, 2014, 3:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 juniors leaving early? 
#1 Overall Pick

Post juniors leaving early?
This is from Pro Football Weekly.

Quote:
USC?s Bush has become favorite to be selected first next April

It?s looking more and more as if the 2006 draft will get off to a different start than we?ve all become accustomed to, with somebody other a signalcaller getting his named called first overall by NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue on Draft Day.

That ?somebody? is USC junior RB Reggie Bush, who we hear may have cemented his status as the first overall selection next April after accounting for 513 yards of total offense in a 50-42 come-from-behind victory over Fresno State on Nov. 19, when he carried his team on his back while displaying his multiple skills.

If Bush does become the No. 1 pick (obviously, the identity of the team that owns that pick will be a key factor), he would break a string of five consecutive QBs selected with the top pick, dating back to Michael Vick in 2001, and become the first running back selected first overall since Ki-Jana Carter entered the draft early in 1995.

Bush could be facing surgery on his tender shoulder after the season, but our sources don?t believe that would have any bearing on his rising status.

?He (Bush) is different than the 21 other guys on the field,? one top personnel executive told PFW. ?I put one helluva grade on Marshall Faulk before Indy drafted him, and (Bush is) better in all the same areas.?

Bush?s stock actually began rising after his performance against Notre Dame earlier this season, and, according to the scouting grapevine, he?s been separating himself from the pack ever since.

?I was with someone a month ago who said, ?I don?t know how anyone could take this guy with the first pick,? and he?s been in the league 15-20 years,? one pro scout said. ?I couldn?t believe what I was hearing. A blind man could scout (Bush) off the radio. I would take him first in the draft without hesitation and never look back. If you wanted to give him the ball 25-30 times, he would be over 2,000 yards without question. His value is so high because he can do so much.?

Bush spearheads another bountiful junior crop expected to declare its eligibility for the upcoming draft.

Two juniors from Purdue who have been in their coaching staff?s doghouse for at least part of the season ? DE Ray Edwards and SS Bernard Pollard ? have both already said publicly that they will not return for their senior seasons. Edwards has first-round-type talent but was benched midway through the season and did not live up to his potential. Pollard is a big, explosive tackler and could be the first safety drafted.

North Carolina State junior DE Mario Williams, who is already doing preliminary work on the selection of an agent (as has Bush), figures to be a very early selection with Julius Pep?pers/Richard Seymour-type ability.

Other juniors who are expected to declare and figure prominently in the 2006 draft mix include: Oregon DT Haloti Ngata, Maryland TE Vernon Davis, Minnesota RB Laurence Maroney, Wisconsin OLT Joe Thomas, Florida State OLB Ernie Sims, LSU S LaRon Landry, Ohio State WR Santonio Holmes, SS Donte Whitner and CB Ashton Youboty, and three of Bush?s teammates ? RB LenDale White, OT Winston Justice and SS Darnell Bing.

November 30th, 2005, 6:16 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

It?s looking more and more as if the 2006 draft will get off to a different start than we?ve all become accustomed to, with somebody other a signalcaller getting his named called first overall by NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue on Draft Day.

That ?somebody? is USC junior RB Reggie Bush, who we hear may have cemented his status as the first overall selection next April after accounting for 513 yards of total offense in a 50-42 come-from-behind victory over Fresno State on Nov. 19, when he carried his team on his back while displaying his multiple skills.

If Bush does become the No. 1 pick (obviously, the identity of the team that owns that pick will be a key factor), he would break a string of five consecutive QBs selected with the top pick, dating back to Michael Vick in 2001, and become the first running back selected first overall since Ki-Jana Carter entered the draft early in 1995.

Bush could be facing surgery on his tender shoulder after the season, but our sources don?t believe that would have any bearing on his rising status.

?He (Bush) is different than the 21 other guys on the field,? one top personnel executive told PFW. ?I put one helluva grade on Marshall Faulk before Indy drafted him, and (Bush is) better in all the same areas.?

Bush?s stock actually began rising after his performance against Notre Dame earlier this season, and, according to the scouting grapevine, he?s been separating himself from the pack ever since.

?I was with someone a month ago who said, ?I don?t know how anyone could take this guy with the first pick,? and he?s been in the league 15-20 years,? one pro scout said. ?I couldn?t believe what I was hearing. A blind man could scout (Bush) off the radio. I would take him first in the draft without hesitation and never look back. If you wanted to give him the ball 25-30 times, he would be over 2,000 yards without question. His value is so high because he can do so much.?

Bush spearheads another bountiful junior crop expected to declare its eligibility for the upcoming draft.

Two juniors from Purdue who have been in their coaching staff?s doghouse for at least part of the season ? DE Ray Edwards and SS Bernard Pollard ? have both already said publicly that they will not return for their senior seasons. Edwards has first-round-type talent but was benched midway through the season and did not live up to his potential. Pollard is a big, explosive tackler and could be the first safety drafted.

North Carolina State junior DE Mario Williams, who is already doing preliminary work on the selection of an agent (as has Bush), figures to be a very early selection with Julius Pep?pers/Richard Seymour-type ability.

Other juniors who are expected to declare and figure prominently in the 2006 draft mix include: Oregon DT Haloti Ngata, Maryland TE Vernon Davis, Minnesota RB Laurence Maroney, Wisconsin OLT Joe Thomas, Florida State OLB Ernie Sims, LSU S LaRon Landry, Ohio State WR Santonio Holmes, SS Donte Whitner and CB Ashton Youboty, and three of Bush?s teammates ? RB LenDale White, OT Winston Justice and SS Darnell Bing.

I have highlighted the 4 players I would be interested in. I think the one that would really be a good pickup is Landry, the safety from LSU. However, he is a 1st round talent and he have other pressing needs than safety.

Winston Justice fron USC looks intriguing, but where would you guys rate him with the other tackles coming out next year?

Tim

December 1st, 2005, 12:28 pm
RIP Killer

I have highlighted the 4 players I would be interested in. I think the one that would really be a good pickup is Landry, the safety from LSU. However, he is a 1st round talent and he have other pressing needs than safety.

Winston Justice fron USC looks intriguing, but where would you guys rate him with the other tackles coming out next year?

Justice is a head case. He has had some legal troubles in the past and it will drop his stock. I would rate him as the seventh rated tackle to come out behind Ferguson, Winston, McNeil, O'Callaghan, Scott, and Joe Thomas.

I agree about Landry, but he needs to bulk up. I would like to take a close look at Michael Huff to have him play FS. However, he may push to play corner since they make more money. He would be a better fit at safety in the pros, IMHO. He has good size and cover skills for the position, something lacking for Detroit right now. First round will either be a DE or an OT, depending on who is available when the Lions pick and what happens in free agency.

December 1st, 2005, 12:55 pm
Quote:

IMO Justice is a 2nd or 3rd rounder at best. Ferguson, Winston, Scott, McNeil, College, and Whitworth are all seniors that I would rate higher. I like Justice as a later round pick, but I don't think he is doing himself any service by leaving early. If we're picking out of the top 10-15 and the top 2-3 OT's are gone, I would like to see Max Jean Giles be our first round pick. He would be an immediate huge upgrade at the LG spot, he would help make Backus and Raiola look better (if we keep Backus), and I would try to draft someone like Scott, Justice, College, or Whitworth in the 3rd round, picking up a defensive player (FS/CB/DE/MLB) in the 2nd.

December 1st, 2005, 12:55 pm
Fair Weather Fan

I think that we should do all that we can to get Mario Williams. This kid is an amazing defender and pretty much a lock for top 10 pick.
Every draft expert says, "mold of Julius Peppers" I would want a player like that on our defense.

December 3rd, 2005, 10:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]