View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 23rd, 2014, 4:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 I will take Brady Quinn over Matt Lienart and Vince Young 
Pop Warner Rookie

Post I will take Brady Quinn over Matt Lienart and Vince Young
Brady Quinn is running the NFL offense in Notrdame.Its difficult for any quarterback to grasp the nfl offense in one year.But Quinn is smart and he can move around in the pocket like brady to make plays.Matt Lienart has a good offensive line,so he will not survive in lions crappy protection.Vince young is a raw talent and need to be developed

December 10th, 2005, 10:57 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Of the 3 only Leinhart is a Senior. The other two are likely to return to college. Even if they don't it doesn't matter because we won't draft any of them.

December 10th, 2005, 11:31 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Great discussion for the 'Draft' section.

December 10th, 2005, 11:46 pm
Profile WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

If I had my pick of the 3 I would choose Quinn as well. However I doubt Quinn will come out, I think it may be 50/50 with Young coming out right now. I think if Texas beats USC he may come out. Leinart although having a great record and a Heisman, something just scares me about him. Just a gut feeling I guess.

The phone rings at 3AM in the White House, McCain replies call me at 9:30

December 11th, 2005, 8:52 am
QB Coach

Matt Leinart has won a Heisman trophy. He's lost one game as a starting quarterback. He beats up on defenses, like they were High School teams. He operates the nation's best offense efficiently. And yes, it's a pro-style offense.

Against Quinn's 2 ranked opponents, he averages 202 yards, 1.5 TDs, and .5 picks. If you want to use stat arguments, he had 487 yards and 5 TDs against Michigan State, 440 yards and 3 TDs against Purdue, 467 yds and 6 TDs against BYU, and 432 yds and 3 TDs against Stanford. He pads his stats against poor defenses, and does poorly against better competition.

Quinn is a good prospect. He is a top 5 pick. But he isn't near Leinart's caliber. He isn't nearly as proven, he doesn't have near the poise and accuracy/touch, and doesn't have the big game that has put him on the map as a truly "elite" player yet.

December 12th, 2005, 1:44 am
Profile WWW
Matt Leinart has won a Heisman trophy. He's lost one game as a starting quarterback. He beats up on defenses, like they were High School teams. He operates the nation's best offense efficiently. And yes, it's a pro-style offense.

Against Quinn's 2 ranked opponents, he averages 202 yards, 1.5 TDs, and .5 picks. If you want to use stat arguments, he had 487 yards and 5 TDs against Michigan State, 440 yards and 3 TDs against Purdue, 467 yds and 6 TDs against BYU, and 432 yds and 3 TDs against Stanford. He pads his stats against poor defenses, and does poorly against better competition.

Quinn is a good prospect. He is a top 5 pick. But he isn't near Leinart's caliber. He isn't nearly as proven, he doesn't have near the poise and accuracy/touch, and doesn't have the big game that has put him on the map as a truly "elite" player yet.

I agree... and for those reasons and to play under the NFL OC Weis for one more season I think the kid would be wise to stay in college for another year, and will. He would likely be the #1 overall pick next year if he plays as well, and Young comes out this year. I'm undecided as to whether or not Young should come out this year... I think he will, but Leinhart will likely get picked before him. Given his mobility and our lines lack of protection I think he is an intreguing prospect, but I would rather go with something a little more reliable... such as Mario Williams (if he comes out.. and he should... he should/most likely will be the #1 DE taken) or an OT.

December 12th, 2005, 4:38 am
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

I cant disagree with anything you say here Brian. I just have this gut feeling about Leinert that hes gonna be Leif like. Not that he will blow up mentally, I just think that he is gonna be a bust. It wont be the first or last time I have been wrong :D

The phone rings at 3AM in the White House, McCain replies call me at 9:30

December 12th, 2005, 11:44 am
Heisman Winner

the times that I have watched Vince Young play all I can think of is Donovan McNabb at Syracuse. It just seems like this guy is just plain better than anyone else on the field. I don't know if that will translate to the NFL, but its hard to push those thoughts out of my mind.

December 22nd, 2005, 7:50 pm
RIP Killer

Vince Young needs to stay in school and develop his passing skills. His arm is good, but his accuracy is nowhere near what it needs to be. Also, his ability to run out of trouble in college will not help him as much in the pros, as the linebackers in the NFL are just as/nearly as fast as he is.

Brady Quinn is a good prospect, but he also needs to stay in school. For all the reasons Brian stated (good post) Quinn is hyped more than he should be.

Upnorthlion, I know what you mean. I get a strange feeling that Leinhart isn't going to be the 'Golden Boy' in the NFL like Carson Palmer is. Some of the games that Leinhart has played in was won because of Reggie Bush or the USC defense moreso than because of him. He played terribly against UCLA this season. I just don't don't think he's going to be a perennial All Pro in the NFL.

December 23rd, 2005, 11:26 am
RIP Killer

I'll take Young out of the three. He is the big risk/reward guy of the group. His accuracy has been in question, but he has made huge leaps forwards in this area and lead the NATION in passing efficiency. Not bad for a "running" QB.

I do, however, reserve the right to change my mind after the Rose Bowl. Like Matt, Vince has benefited greatly from a superior OL. He has also had a cup cake schedule. He has, thus far, played well in the big games (there haven't been many).

I like the double threat he presents to defensive coordinators. He is tough to game plan against (at least on the college level). His legs minimize the Lions troubles along the OL, I see Leinart and Quinn getting killed back there.

I agree he needs another year to develop, but if he stays I don't see Detroit having a shot at him next year (at least I hope not). If he comes out, I see him going in the 5-10 range in the first round (right where the Lions will be picking).

Get a franchise QB in here, and unlike with Joey, have a vet starting in front of him his rookie year. Rounds 2+, build the OL first and foremost and then fill other holes.

It's been 50 years since we had a great QB in Detroit and we have won exactly what since then? Get a franchise QB pleeeaaassseeee.

December 23rd, 2005, 1:29 pm
Profile WWW
League MVP

mike- Vince Young is a 64% passer, returning and hoping to significantly better that mark is unrealistic, he is better served by taking the year to learn an NFL system and get some playing time in preseason, mop up duty, and be in an NFL workout regimen. I truly believe college no longer benefits him, he is already the nation's top rated passer. His physical skills dominate college football, nothing is left for him to learn in the college game. Further refining his passing game will have to happen in the NFL. Even if he isnt an NFL starter next year he is better served in the NFL.

I agree about leinhart, he is not the same caliber as Palmer was. He lacks the arm strength and athletic ability but has a great handle on the game. He seems an awful lot like David Greene of GA last year but with a far better supporting cast and better athleticism.

December 23rd, 2005, 2:17 pm
RIP Killer

mike- Vince Young is a 64% passer, returning and hoping to significantly better that mark is unrealistic, he is better served by taking the year to learn an NFL system and get some playing time in preseason, mop up duty, and be in an NFL workout regimen. I truly believe college no longer benefits him, he is already the nation's top rated passer. His physical skills dominate college football, nothing is left for him to learn in the college game. Further refining his passing game will have to happen in the NFL. Even if he isnt an NFL starter next year he is better served in the NFL.

I agree about leinhart, he is not the same caliber as Palmer was. He lacks the arm strength and athletic ability but has a great handle on the game. He seems an awful lot like David Greene of GA last year but with a far better supporting cast and better athleticism.

Legend I understand what the numbers are, but the passes he's completing at Texas will be walked back by defensive backs in the NFL. His throws aren't thrown as well as they should be. He has improved dramatically over just one year, but he is benefitting from having an offensive line that gives him all sorts of time. Young would be wiser to stay in school and mature as a passer and develop a better sense of touch and more pinpoint his throws than simply throwing in the area of his receivers and expect them to make the catch.

Young would likely be a top ten pick this year, but would almost be a shoe in as the top pick in 2007 if he stays. Depending on which team would take him this year, he may not be given the chance to sit for a year ala Harrington.

December 23rd, 2005, 2:24 pm
Site Admin

I had heard an interview with Quinn and he was for sure staying in school.

December 23rd, 2005, 2:28 pm
Profile WWW
Varsity Captain

Vince Young needs to stay in school and develop his passing skills. His arm is good, but his accuracy is nowhere near what it needs to be. Also, his ability to run out of trouble in college will not help him as much in the pros, as the linebackers in the NFL are just as/nearly as fast as he is.

Brady Quinn is a good prospect, but he also needs to stay in school. For all the reasons Brian stated (good post) Quinn is hyped more than he should be.

Upnorthlion, I know what you mean. I get a strange feeling that Leinhart isn't going to be the 'Golden Boy' in the NFL like Carson Palmer is. Some of the games that Leinhart has played in was won because of Reggie Bush or the USC defense moreso than because of him. He played terribly against UCLA this season. I just don't don't think he's going to be a perennial All Pro in the NFL.

I agree, and would actually go further then that, i think there is a good chance Matt Leinart could be a bust, he does not have top rate arm strength, he does not have good mobility, and he has almost never been hit or hurried much in college due to the great USC OL. I am not sure he can handle being hit and hurried in the NFL, i really feel he is a prospect like Aaron Rogers last year, or Harrington before him, that is they are able QBs with protection and play makers but they are not able to deal with not perfect situations well, and in the NFL nothing is perfect for the QBs...

Vince Young shows flashes of Mike Vick type ability to create offense, the question is his decision making, what he needs is developement he is worth a 1st rounder right now but i am not sure i would take him in the top 10 unless you are looking to run a run and shoot offense.

Brady Quinn has no glaring weakness, he has decent mobility, a ok arm, good decision making, and good accuracy. But i dont really see something that could make him elite.

So out of the three if i had to choose one in the 1st round it would be clearly Vince Young, clearly there is a high risk with him but the reward could be much higher then Quinn or Leinart.

But frankly i would much rather have a later round QB, a guy like Chris Leak, Drew Stanton, or McNeil, all of which have some elite abilities and high potential and likely at a good value.

December 23rd, 2005, 2:34 pm
League MVP

Quote:
Legend I understand what the numbers are, but the passes he's completing at Texas will be walked back by defensive backs in the NFL. His throws aren't thrown as well as they should be. He has improved dramatically over just one year, but he is benefitting from having an offensive line that gives him all sorts of time. Young would be wiser to stay in school and mature as a passer and develop a better sense of touch and more pinpoint his throws than simply throwing in the area of his receivers and expect them to make the catch.

Young would likely be a top ten pick this year, but would almost be a shoe in as the top pick in 2007 if he stays. Depending on which team would take him this year, he may not be given the chance to sit for a year ala Harrington.

i agree with what you are saying about young's passing but i just dont think that their is much of a driving force for this transformation to occur in the college game. since young can get away with it in college it will be hard to make those changes at this level. therefore IMO he should move on to the NFL and learn how much he needs to adjust there. ideally he would sit for at least part of a season but you're right teams drafting that high lack this luxury.

December 23rd, 2005, 2:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next